Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sad King Billy posted:

In the expanded universe, Geordi ends up marrying Leah Brahms.

Surely that sends the wrong message? Be a creep, get the girl.

You know Geordie had her husband killed.

"I inspected that shuttle a dozen times, I have no idea how the window came off."

Grand Fromage posted:

That episode at least has the redeeming feature of the crazy hot woman for your 13 year old self to enjoy.

Speaking of that the Icey Blond X-O in the DS9 Red Squad episode was a treat for my teen self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Red Squad X-O was a promising member of the Nechayev Academy for Lawful Evil Admirals

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is the irish one the same one where Riker and Crusher kill their own half-formed clones? Because having an identical sibling you never need to interact with makes you less special or something?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is the irish one the same one where Riker and Crusher kill their own half-formed clones? Because having an identical sibling you never need to interact with makes you less special or something?

Oh wait, I forgot about the other half of that story. OK I take it back, that's not the worst episode since the clone colony is a cool premise at least. The rest of it is crap though. I will revaluate my pick for worst episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The solution for the clone people not dying out being that they need to start loving the Space Irish doesn't make that episode any better

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It was apparently intended by the writer as an allegory for abortion rights.

Any pro-choice message is somewhat undermined by the ending, where Picard and the male leaders of the two colonies work out a breeding plan to ensure their mutual survival without any input from either colony's women...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Angry Salami posted:

It was apparently intended by the writer as an allegory for abortion rights.

Any pro-choice message is somewhat undermined by the ending, where Picard and the male leaders of the two colonies work out a breeding plan to ensure their mutual survival without any input from either colony's women...

Pretty dodgy on abortion rights too. Unless they meant abortion rights for men. "It's my DNA in there and I should be able to kill it regardless of what the owner of the vessel it currently occupies thinks."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I always found it odd that a medical doctor had zero qualms about vaporizing what were basically fully-grown clones just waiting for the timer to ding. She just ok’d Riker to euthanize a bunch of 30-40 year olds in less time than it took to decide on breakfast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always found it odd that a medical doctor had zero qualms about vaporizing what were basically fully-grown clones just waiting for the timer to ding. She just ok’d Riker to euthanize a bunch of 30-40 year olds in less time than it took to decide on breakfast.

It's unclear if they had minds yet. No brain, no murder.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

So what does this Les Moonves news mean for Star trek, if anything?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Probably not much. Moonves was big on All Access but I doubt they would kill it/move shows off it just because he left. He was also opposed to a Paramount merger so if that gets pushed through now that he’s gone, the Trek IP might get properly reunited. He was hardly big on Trek himself so in theory, someone else who comes in might try to mess around with the content of Disco more than he did. Not something to bank on though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’ll probably have a bigger impact on Movie Trek than anything

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember watching some old video on YouTube where it seemed like Moonves or some other old guy was most responsible for mandating all the weird creative choices with the Klingon redesigns.

I can't dig up the video now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

I remember watching some old video on YouTube where it seemed like Moonves or some other old guy was most responsible for mandating all the weird creative choices with the Klingon redesigns.

I can't dig up the video now.

It may have been one of those Midnight's Edge videos, I think they called Moonves being put away over something but a lot of what they say comes off like nerdbait so I don't know how much stock to put into it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I believe Fuller was the one who had a massive hard on for the Klingons being bald.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Grand Fromage posted:

That episode at least has the redeeming feature of the crazy hot woman for your 13 year old self to enjoy.

For sure, but I am not sure why she felt the need to bang Riker like a day after arriving. I mean WHO DOESN'T, but...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Retardog posted:

So what does this Les Moonves news mean for Star trek, if anything?

Not good. Part of the deal is an 18th month moratorium on Shari Redstone and National Amusements (major shareholder in both CBS and Viacom/Paramount) talking remerger.

So expect another year and a half of divided franchises. Imagine if we were in the heady world of the 80s/90s/00s where Michael Dorn could Worf it up on tv and film, Mark Lenard could play Sarek anywhere, etc and weep.

You cannot tell me that Winona Ryder and Zach Quinto, who are both currently on tv series wouldn't at least consider being on DISCO. Or Peter Weller coming back as a Prime Timeline version of Admiral Marcus. But it ain't gonna happen now I guess. :shrug:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/Seeker/status/1039498796583903232

this seems Discovery related

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm now worried about how Dr. Culber comes back.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RedLetterMedia posted what they'd like the Picard show to be like, Star Trek Galaxy, and I'm drat depressed it's not the show we're getting.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alan_Shore posted:

RedLetterMedia posted what they'd like the Picard show to be like, Star Trek Galaxy, and I'm drat depressed it's not the show we're getting.

Hah, I saw that. It's not taking itself too seriously and basically spitballing the style of show you could try to make to please as many as possible while also demonstrating the inherent difficulty in actually doing that. However, kurtzman is involved so we'll get the first option *looks morosely into the lens accompanied by tuba fart*

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 13, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kurtzman, looking at the Enterprise-E. "Hmm, I like it, but can we make it pointer? And the weapons should be more 'pew pew' sounding"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[extremely kurtzman voice]
why isnt there an ak-47 phaser??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Kurtzman, looking at the Enterprise-E. "Hmm, I like it, but can we make it pointer? And the weapons should be more 'pew pew' sounding"

Ugh seriously what is it with sound effects being completely gutless? Who likes that poo poo?

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I demand ear-murder TWOK phasers!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Plotac 75 posted:

Nah, it was the ceti eels that did the ear murder

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The four ‘Short Treks’ have been revealed by CBS. They start airing Oct 4th and then one a month through January. One of them focuses on a new character.

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1042842088105275392?s=21

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Plotac 75 posted:

I sincerely love how in TNG season 1 the photon torpedoes come screaming out of the tubes, and the warp drive goes off with a bang and a roar.

Hell, you're throwing around matter-antimatter warheads and warping the fabric of space to go faster than light, why the gently caress can't you be big and bombastic while doing so?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 20, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FlamingLiberal posted:

The four ‘Short Treks’ have been revealed by CBS. They start airing Oct 4th and then one a month through January. One of them focuses on a new character.

Some potentially good stories to be had there. 2 of those in particular seem promising.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one with the new character is written and directed by Michael Chabon, which could be interesting. I see they are also letting Rainn Wilson direct the Harry Mudd one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tilly's story is just her getting high as gently caress with the stranger.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Starting with the Tillysode is a pro move.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3ked4w/scientists-find-super-earth-in-star-system-from-star-trek

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm somewhat interested in that "Calypso" one.

No mention here of the Picard show?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

I'm somewhat interested in that "Calypso" one.

I think it may have been discussed, but there has been zero news since Stewart got up on stage in July and made the announcement

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Picard show is a totally separate project not yet in production, these shorts were announced ages ago as a Disco thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sad King Billy posted:

In the expanded universe, Geordi ends up marrying Leah Brahms.

In the future time period of All Good Things..., Geordi is married to Dr. Brahms.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am always down to have Aldis Hodge on my TV. It's been so long since Leverage ended. :(

Nullsmack posted:

When it was announced a few months ago, Stewart and Kurtzman were both very clear that only some incredibly broad story ideas had been thrown around and that the series was likely quite a ways away (especially since Kurtzman is the sole showrunner of Disco S2 and he needs to get stuff done to meet his January 2019 airdate).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

When it was announced a few months ago, Stewart and Kurtzman were both very clear that only some incredibly broad story ideas had been thrown around and that the series was likely quite a ways away (especially since Kurtzman is the sole showrunner of Disco S2 and he needs to get stuff done to meet his January 2019 airdate).

I hope that this is the reason that the rest of the TNG cast haven't been approached for the series yet. I mean it doesn't have to be TNG take 2 to work as a show but to do a show with Picard and snub the rest of the cast would be a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just want at least one DS9 cameo. Or hell, just even an acknowledgement.