Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

To add:

- PMDG are the poo poo. I have the SSG 748 for X-Plane, but haven't played it since my new computer.

- The two primary P3D weather paths are Active Sky and REX. I was p impressed by the built-in weather engine for X-Plane and currently you can get new cloud textures. I heard about some addon(s) for seasonal textures in X-Plane?

Your trade-off between the two is no included real time weather in P3D (Lockmart disabled it because reasons) and X-Plane has one seasonal tile set.

- I like Orbx and thus have a general disregard for money. They usually do semi-annual 50% off sales, though. X-Plane still wins for night lighting.

- For both platforms, I don't care what anyone says, Carenado and Alabeo are trash.

I remember back in the mid 2000's, X-Plane is a better VFR game whereas FSX (now P3D) was a better systems game.

The Ferret King posted:

Doesn't X-Plane also run a shitload better than FSX/P3D?

P3D is at least finally 64 bit as of version 4.

P3D also supports VR natively. 4.3 had a bunch of VR patch notes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

X-plane has been 64-bit since 10.something, and native VR was added in 11.20

cannot comment on how VR runs as my wallet does not currently support VR

I would also say XP11 has better native systems. The built-in GNS 430/530 clone supports LPV aproaches, and allows insertion/deletion of waypoints (not sure if P3D4 does this but I know FSX does not)

Dawn/Dusk VFR is where XP11 shines, though.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2018

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Xplane has the brightest future it seems like as well. They way they are focused on performance and vr is going to pay off down the road imo, 2 years out they are going to be way ahead although it might be xplane 12 by then. Thats said be aware its unfinished. You will need to download addons until they get all their stuff finished like all the airports, air traffic and AT control, landmarks can be weird etc. You can fix everything free so its no big deal but tbh im not even sure they will have all that done by the time they decide to call it xplane 12.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

How is X-Plane doing on city skylines? I did a quick search and Chicago seems to be Chicago out of the box now.

e: Thread got me to reinstall X-Plane.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2018

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
For me it's not a matter of which one is the better simulator, theyre both great, it's which one has the better performance and community. I went hard into Prepar3D v4. Dropped probably like close to $200 in add-ons (ORBX, Active Sky and a plane). It looks good in the daytime and sunsets and flying either VFR or IFR is a good time IMO. But despite having a decent computer (i5, gtx1070, 16gb ram) I'm getting 40 fps at the best of times and down to 6 fps at the worst of times at any metropolitan airport. Granted, it's mostly due to ORBX scenery eating a lot of resources but this is even after hours of tweaking .cfg files. It's just a waste of time. Load times are outrageous. And ATC hasn't been updated since FSX and is slightly worse. As for the community, well, anything that is going to improve Prepar3D seems to cost at minimum $30. Want to be able to adjust your joystick sensitivity curves? That costs $30. Want a better weather model? There are free ones but the best one is $50. Want the ability to customize camera angles? $30 lol. It's insane. You can find alternative methods of getting some of this stuff but there is also a lot of DRM fuckery from 3rd party devs. I'm picking up Xplane 11 on the next steam sale and I dont think I would look back if I didn't already throw so much money at P3D.

tl;dr Go for Xplane.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Minto Took posted:

- For both platforms, I don't care what anyone says, Carenado and Alabeo are trash.

What's wrong with Carenado?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally reinstalled Strike Fighters 2, does anyone have a good list of essential mods anywhere I could refer to?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

I finally reinstalled Strike Fighters 2, does anyone have a good list of essential mods anywhere I could refer to?

I can get you NATO Fighters 5 without having to wait 3 days to do all the downloads

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steak posted:

What's wrong with Carenado?

If a Carenado plane has been designed for X-Plane 11, it's great. If not, don't expect it to work or to be updated any time soon.

Like, I have their Cessna 152, and the stock version (designed for XP10) technically works in 11...except the engine RPMs are wrong and the ignition switch doesn't work and the stall performance is totally off and the visual model has the ailerons going the wrong way and the roll rate is hosed and just in general it is non-functional if you're into that whole realism thing.

Fortunately in that particular case there is a free mod on x-plane.org that updates their 152 for XP11, and it's extremely well-done and feels like the real aircrat. But that's not always the case.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, I have had absolutely no issues with the Carenado planes meant for XP11.

Also, latest Navigraph update included support for Active Sky for XP11

SOON.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Ah, makes sense. Compatibility between P3D versions even causes issues. You'll usually get missing gauges or even invisible panels if you try to use a plane that hasn't been ported over to v4. Otherwise I've had good luck with the few I have. At worst a minor gauge won't do anything.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

After playing some XP11 today, yeah, the graphics engine is much, much better than P3D.

Lockmart has a lot of work to do for P3D5.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Do what I did and merge all the mega mods that say "don't merge this with other mods" together into one unholy abomination that somehow runs surprising crash free and also gives you a bazillion planes to fly.

But off the top of my head the best ones are:

NATO Fighters 5

The Scandinavian Front

Operation Tainted Cigar (flying early 60s era navy jets like the Tiger and Skyray is awesome. Carriers bugging out and sailing through the Cuban jungle, less so)

Black Sea (early 90s so it's super duper lethal but you get AMRAAMs so that's nice).

Basically anything by JonathanRL or eburger on CombatAce is worth checking out in terms of Campaigns/big mods

Then slam them all together and use the campaign customizer to see how long you can survive in a 1986 Cold War gone hot scenario flying strike missions in an O-2 Skymaster.

Speaking of SF2 and CombatAce, I've never been able to totally figure it out but what's the deal with the whole The A-Team mod team and their refusal to host anything anywhere but their own lovely site with tons of restrictions? Like from what I can gather, if you can somehow get approved to access their website, you get banned if you accidentally queue up more than one download at a time.

All for some sorta good planes in a medium fidelity flight sim...

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 14, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilonum posted:

I can get you NATO Fighters 5 without having to wait 3 days to do all the downloads

Awesome, just bought plat. Check your PMs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do what I did and merge all the mega mods that say "don't merge this with other mods" together into one unholy abomination that somehow runs surprising crash free and also gives you a bazillion planes to fly.

But off the top of my head the best ones are:

NATO Fighters 5

The Scandinavian Front

Operation Tainted Cigar (flying early 60s era navy jets like the Tiger and Skyray is awesome. Carriers bugging out and sailing through the Cuban jungle, less so)

Black Sea (early 90s so it's super duper lethal but you get AMRAAMs so that's nice).

Basically anything by JonathanRL or eburger on CombatAce is worth checking out in terms of Campaigns/big mods

Then slam them all together and use the campaign customizer to see how long you can survive in a 1986 Cold War gone hot scenario flying strike missions in an O-2 Skymaster.

Speaking of SF2 and CombatAce, I've never been able to totally figure it out but what's the deal with the whole The A-Team mod team and their refusal to host anything anywhere but their own lovely site with tons of restrictions? Like from what I can gather, if you can somehow get approved to access their website, you get banned if you accidentally queue up more than one download at a time.

All for some sorta good planes in a medium fidelity flight sim...

I tried logging into my old CombatAce account, which I guess got banned for inactivity or something, so I tried to make a new account, and that one got instant banned as well. I was gonna buy a membership! I have my own money now, damnit!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2018

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
What is the best fighter jet for XP11. I have a need, a need for speed.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The f18 for dcs has a free trial this weekend. Not exactly what you were looking for but it may scratch the itch for free or you know, get you addicted to another expensive thing lol.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I'm absolutely going to be an idiot and spend the 90 bones on the F-18 and Gulf map bundle when that drops. I have never learned how to fly a plane in DCS and I own like $300+ in DLC I never touched because I am a coward

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Oh yeah I'm absolutely going to be an idiot and spend the 90 bones on the F-18 and Gulf map bundle when that drops. I have never learned how to fly a plane in DCS and I own like $300+ in DLC I never touched because I am a coward

I sat on the A-10C module for over a year before I finally bucked up, watched some youtube videos, and learned how to handle the thing. If you're into knobs, buttons, and gratuitous systems management (and if not, why are you here?), then it really is rewarding to dive into it and really get proficient.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

DogonCrook posted:

The f18 for dcs has a free trial this weekend. Not exactly what you were looking for but it may scratch the itch for free or you know, get you addicted to another expensive thing lol.

Sure, why not.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Just noticed the su-33 is free fly as well.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Here it is boys.

The HeatBlur F-14B Tomcat in all of it's glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID1sE2xfwU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

Here it is boys.

I've been waiting for this moment to haul out my hotas and go full sperg again

Sorry family, friends and co workers.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Wicaeed posted:

Here it is boys.

Its just crazy, insanely outstanding. The level of attention to detail is insane and flying as a RIO will probably be super fun.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I’m looking forward to being a RIO.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Minto Took posted:

I’m looking forward to being a RIO.

The bass guitar player in the navy's band of life

Me too though. Especially since I have no idea what a RIO does aside from look around all scared and wild shouting "hes right behind us !"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
be sure to keep a polaroid camera on your desk irl

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blue On Blue posted:

The bass guitar player in the navy's band of life

Me too though. Especially since I have no idea what a RIO does aside from look around all scared and wild shouting "hes right behind us !"

Yeah, that and having a radar scope, I have no idea what a RIO actually does.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Yeah, that and having a radar scope, I have no idea what a RIO actually does.

My limited reading tells me he basically does everything aside from moving the control stick and pressing the weapon fire button

Comms, radar , weapon selection and target selection, and even handles the lasing of targets and controlling guided munitions

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm playing around in XP11 because the VR is that much better than P3D and I'm wondering how complete the default Aerosoft airports are. As in, should I look into replacing Frankfurt, for example, with a different, more complete scenery?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Blue On Blue posted:

My limited reading tells me he basically does everything aside from moving the control stick and pressing the weapon fire button

Comms, radar , weapon selection and target selection, and even handles the lasing of targets and controlling guided munitions

that's great because all i want to do is fly around in the flight sim

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
lol if you don't have your RIO Enrique lase targets for you

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The fan on my graphics card spooled up just watching the video. :stare:

I'll be your wingman RIO anytime.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What's VR like these days? Has everyone pretty much determined that they can deal with not seeing their controls for model sims like DCS and X-Plane?

I've got switch and button panels and I'm debating whether to go large TV + touch screen monitor or VR for my simpit purposes.

Also really digging the idea of this arduino based solution for hooking up your own switches and servos:

http://simvim.com/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

What's VR like these days? Has everyone pretty much determined that they can deal with not seeing their controls for model sims like DCS and X-Plane?

I've got switch and button panels and I'm debating whether to go large TV + touch screen monitor or VR for my simpit purposes.

Also really digging the idea of this arduino based solution for hooking up your own switches and servos:

http://simvim.com/

On my Dell Visor, I can make out most switches and gauges, and DCS now has a "VR Zoom" overlay button, that allows you to zoom, in the vr (and not lean), quickly into whatever you want to see better. Sometimes helps for runways, and some small dials. Otherwise I have no real issue.
Visor has a slightly higher res, though. Samsung Odyssey has a slightly higher too, but most other have smaller resolution.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 8, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The thing with VR is, IMO, is that if aviation is even mildly familiar to you, you'll know all the basic gauges at a glance even in the low resolution world, and the rest are auxiliary enough that you can afford to lean/zoom in to see.

The worst issue I have is being in a plane I've never been in before and having to lean in to see whether scale says 200 or 300kph. Incredibly enough, spotting planes far away isn't a big issue at all, I figured it would be since on a monitor it's a giant pain without some scaling or tags, but in VR it doesn't seem worse, at least.

I'm really hyped about proper resolution VR though, it's going to make flying sims just the best thing ever. I hope it happens before 2030.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thank you, that's exactly the feedback I'm looking for.

The compromises seem significant still. I know VR is really loving cool, I'm not sure I'm ready to adopt it yet.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The sensation of flying, and scale of your wingmen touching tips still gets a ”woah” out every now and then in VR.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

your wingmen touching tips

Wow, talk about realistic naval aviation!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The best thing in VR is when you're doing low flying IMO. After decades of playing on a monitor, it's just straight up cheating. You might think flying <1m off the ground is hard in games, but it turns out monitors are just terrible at producing correct input and it's incredibly easy in VR lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Truga posted:

The best thing in VR is when you're doing low flying IMO. After decades of playing on a monitor, it's just straight up cheating. You might think flying <1m off the ground is hard in games, but it turns out monitors are just terrible at producing correct input and it's incredibly easy in VR lol.

Same thing with tight formation.