Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does.

... yes 👏 you 👏 can 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does. I think he is pretty solid for an entertainment channel about bad TV food.
I'm not mad at him. I love his videos. I just don't think he's particularly good at cooking. I'm fairly sure 99% of the stuff he does right is because he's following a recipe he Googled just before making the video.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've actually been binging babish lately... He's ok and entertaining but every once in a while I give a big NOOOOOOOPE.

he doesn't claim to have any authority, I think the really good production values he has make people assume he does. His previous career was as a technical editor for video media, so it makes sense that he would be good at making his show, even if he is only middling good at cooking. It's a lot more watchable than an amazing cook who doesn't know how to shoot or edit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess I’m confused on how you rank someone’s cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I guess I’m confused on how you rank someone’s cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

If it were that easy more people would be better cooks and maybe we'd have someone decent to hire instead of the idiots and meth heads who infest the industry, cooking for customers who are amazed by anything better than what the instructions on the box/can gets them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

please don't ever invite me over for dinner

good cooking definitely has 0 to do with knowledge. you can nail a technique and put out lovely food all day long

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd just like to say that all three of you are wrong and not explain why

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
p👏o👏s👏t👏e👏r👏

a👏l👏l👏e👏g👏i👏a👏n👏c👏e👏

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

What even is skill? Like, I can just read a book, so why do these dummies spend their lives practicing things?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If it were that easy more people would be better cooks and maybe we'd have someone decent to hire instead of the idiots and meth heads who infest the industry, cooking for customers who are amazed by anything better than what the instructions on the box/can gets them.

I think the fact that your restaurant and the industry in general is chiefly staffed by idiots and meth heads says more about the depressingly poor wages and hiring practices than anything else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What even is skill? Like, I can just read a book, so why do these dummies spend their lives practicing things?

Cooking isn’t just a skill, it’s a science, and science is repeatable. Experience gives you the wisdom to invent new methods and fix mistakes and expand on grandma’s recipe, but what I’m questioning is how you determine someone is “mediocre” when they establish knowledge of their craft.

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can fool people into thinking a painting is real?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 24, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mindphlux posted:

please don't ever invite me over for dinner

good cooking definitely has 0 to do with knowledge. you can nail a technique and put out lovely food all day long

You're being quite grouchy. Everything OK?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

You're being quite grouchy. Everything OK?

It's mindphlux. Are you new here?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

Cooking isn’t just a skill, it’s a science, and science is repeatable. Experience gives you the wisdom to invent new methods and fix mistakes and expand on grandma’s recipe, but what I’m questioning is how you determine someone is “mediocre” when they establish knowledge of their craft.

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can fool people into thinking a painting is real?

the post you're protesting against said that he doesn't demonstrate that much knowledge of his craft so the crux of your argument is irrelevant

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can only fool art novices into thinking a painting is real?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

the post you're protesting against said that he doesn't demonstrate that much knowledge of his craft so the crux of your argument is irrelevant

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can only fool art novices into thinking a painting is real?

Nobody has actually said anything about his skill other than it’s middling/mediocre which describes nothing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

al-azad posted:

Treating cooking as a purely scientific endeavor yields Soylent.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

I think the fact that your restaurant and the industry in general is chiefly staffed by idiots and meth heads says more about the depressingly poor wages and hiring practices than anything else

To be honest, I can't argue with that, as far as our staffing is concerned. The idiocy of our customer base (the very rural midwest!) is another story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Treating cooking as a purely scientific endeavor yields Soylent.

Which is closer to solving world hunger than a well seared steak. But I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific, what I'm talking about is what criteria you're using to judge a person preparing recipes on camera unless you've prepared them yourself and deem it all wrong.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lol way to move the goalpost from "good at cooking" to "solve world hunger right now"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific

shut the gently caress up, you're just talking garbage nonsense for the sake of posting and don't even care about your own argument clearly

al-azad posted:

Cooking isn’t just a skill, it’s a science, and science is repeatable.

al-azad posted:

all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

al-azad posted:

what I’m questioning is how you determine someone is “mediocre”

you determine someone is mediocre

that's it

that's how you determine someone is mediocre

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 24, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
its like if you were cooking an egg "over easy" and read a science manual of cooking and it says "cook the egg for a minute on one side and then flip it and cook for 20 seconds on the other side and you have an over easy" egg!!!! but you do it and break the yolk in flipping it and mangle the thing and forget to add the salt and plate it and its just garbage half scrambled eggs and you look really smug and give it to your motherinlaw and are like 'heres you're ........ over easy egg.... m'lady..... *tips fedora*' and shes literally screaming and shaking and throws the plate in your face and leaves your house and you're like.... 'hurrmmph wonder what her problem was, ohwell, nevermind' and start watching tv, and your wife sits you down on the couch halfway through the 'great british baking show' and pauses it (she never pauses it) to really break it down to you and is like .... "al-azahar... i really need to talk to you about something important......... and i need you to listen to me just once in all seriousness..... i think you have a problem........" and you're like no! I dont. im a man of science and reason and everything i do is perfectly measured and precise and not left to chance. and shes like 'baby listen'... and you cut her off and puit your hand over your chest and just scream U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A! over and over until she divorces you and marries motherfucking permabanned forums user 'mommie dearest' and you still cant even admit to yourself that you maybe just didnt know how to cook an egg properly and thus were 'mediocre' at it ; the 'it' being egg-cookery

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

its like if you were cooking an egg "over easy" and read a science manual of cooking and it says "cook the egg for a minute on one side and then flip it and cook for 20 seconds on the other side and you have an over easy" egg!!!! but you do it and break the yolk in flipping it and mangle the thing and forget to add the salt and plate it and its just garbage half scrambled eggs and you look really smug and give it to your motherinlaw and are like 'heres you're ........ over easy egg.... m'lady..... *tips fedora*' and shes literally screaming and shaking and throws the plate in your face and leaves your house and you're like.... 'hurrmmph wonder what her problem was, ohwell, nevermind' and start watching tv, and your wife sits you down on the couch halfway through the 'great british baking show' and pauses it (she never pauses it) to really break it down to you and is like .... "al-azahar... i really need to talk to you about something important......... and i need you to listen to me just once in all seriousness..... i think you have a problem........" and you're like no! I dont. im a man of science and reason and everything i do is perfectly measured and precise and not left to chance. and shes like 'baby listen'... and you cut her off and puit your hand over your chest and just scream U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A! over and over until she divorces you and marries motherfucking permabanned forums user 'mommie dearest' and you still cant even admit to yourself that you maybe just didnt know how to cook an egg properly and thus were 'mediocre' at it ; the 'it' being egg-cookery

:same:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Actually that doesn't sound mediocre it sounds extremely poor

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Awwwww I miss mommie dearest.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

al-azad posted:

Which is closer to solving world hunger than a well seared steak.
Oh god, imagine actually believing soylent is going to solve world hunger. loving soylent.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey um

I don't think anyone is being an objective source when they say Babish is mediocre.

If you watch and you're like eh I could do that better/with more panache, you're probably a better cook than him.

If you watch and you're like wow I could never do that kudos Babish, he's probably a better cook than you.

If you've literally ever seen a professional chef work, on TV or in person, you recognize that Babish's retinue of techniques is small and somewhat rough, not smooth and practiced. It's not a judgment about their worth, it is an appraisal of their ability level compared to other professionals in the food video arena. He'll get better, or worse if he stops practicing, and that's fine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SubG posted:

Oh god, imagine actually believing soylent is going to solve world hunger. loving soylent.

True, but also imagine seeing soylent as a product of actual science.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Hey um

I don't think anyone is being an objective source when they say Babish is mediocre.

If you watch and you're like eh I could do that better/with more panache, you're probably a better cook than him.

If you watch and you're like wow I could never do that kudos Babish, he's probably a better cook than you.

If you've literally ever seen a professional chef work, on TV or in person, you recognize that Babish's retinue of techniques is small and somewhat rough, not smooth and practiced. It's not a judgment about their worth, it is an appraisal of their ability level compared to other professionals in the food video arena. He'll get better, or worse if he stops practicing, and that's fine.

Mediocre doesn't mean bad, it's not a negative term as such, it's just... Middling. Mediocre. Unimpressive.

al-azad posted:

Which is closer to solving world hunger than a well seared steak. But I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific, what I'm talking about is what criteria you're using to judge a person preparing recipes on camera unless you've prepared them yourself and deem it all wrong.

Are you not arguing cooking is purely scientific? Like you said, there's no skill, right? It's just science. Degrees temperature, arc-minutes and newton-meters of arm movement, that's all there is to it. And who among us can judge science? Who has the Icarian hubris to fly in the face of forums user al-azad, when all he champions is the cause of scientific reason?

Hey, al-azad, apply Occam's razor to this question. What's more likely, people spend billions of collective dollars and hours learning to cook and critiquing cooking because there is depth of skill and knowledge, or everyone has just been wasting their time since they haven't figured out what serious eats dot com is?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 24, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Mediocre doesn't mean bad, it's not a negative term as such, it's just... Middling. Mediocre. Unimpressive.

Right, it's such an odd description to take affront to. Like clearly this dude's not blowing the culinary world out of the water with uniquely remarkable techniques or flavor pairings. He's also not loving up and making poop pastries. He's good, just not great. So? He's just making TV meals on YouTube

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think there's a difference between good and mediocre.

He's good enough to understand flavour and technique well enough to fix wierd dishes, he's probably not good enough to work a line and bang out 50 perfect dishes a night (or however many a line cook does)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

coworker told me about some (I think euro) cooking show which is "science dude vs chef" and I guess the former gets wrecked.

Anyone know what this may be?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I think there's a difference between good and mediocre.

He's good enough to understand flavour and technique well enough to fix wierd dishes, he's probably not good enough to work a line and bang out 50 perfect dishes a night (or however many a line cook does)
Yeah, I kind of overestimated Babish's skill level until he did a couple of teamups with Brad Leone on Bon Appetit, who definitely does know his poo poo - I was wowed over by the production values somewhat but seeing him alongside folks who really know what they're doing put his limitations in a new light.

I'm still gunna keep watching and enjoying his stuff, it's good content and he's not bad by any means, but dude's got plenty of room to grow.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you not arguing cooking is purely scientific? Like you said, there's no skill, right? It's just science. Degrees temperature, arc-minutes and newton-meters of arm movement, that's all there is to it. And who among us can judge science? Who has the Icarian hubris to fly in the face of forums user al-azad, when all he champions is the cause of scientific reason?

Hey, al-azad, apply Occam's razor to this question. What's more likely, people spend billions of collective dollars and hours learning to cook and critiquing cooking because there is depth of skill and knowledge, or everyone has just been wasting their time since they haven't figured out what serious eats dot com is?

I never said there's no skill in cooking. If you can't crack an egg without breaking the yoke that's a failure on your part, just like pouring water into acid makes you a bad chemist.

What I found upsetting was the critique of his skill based on nothing but observation. You can analyze a visual medium based on presentation and take away from it the skill of the artist, the subtleness of a musician or singer. But to watch a guy cook online and just shrug your shoulders, where is the application of your depth of skill and knowledge?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Perhaps the criticism is difficult to put into words and is more of a nuanced sense based upon previous experiences of what constitutes good or bad cooking. I can tell when an artist is doing a bad job and I'm able to critique the reason I believe that because my education has provided me with the vocabulary to do so. Another person without that vocabulary might have difficulty describing their takeaway, but I don't see how that invalidates it.

I mean, if you watch Chopped do you think "wow these people are certainly all cooking" and don't know/judge who is performing well because it's just a visual medium?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The real solution to world hunger is prolonged famine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Perhaps the criticism is difficult to put into words and is more of a nuanced sense based upon previous experiences of what constitutes good or bad cooking. I can tell when an artist is doing a bad job and I'm able to critique the reason I believe that because my education has provided me with the vocabulary to do so. Another person without that vocabulary might have difficulty describing their takeaway, but I don't see how that invalidates it.

I mean, if you watch Chopped do you think "wow these people are certainly all cooking" and don't know/judge who is performing well because it's just a visual medium?

Chopped is an evaluation of skill because you're timed and the criteria includes presentation and taste but also integration of the secret ingredient. So you get people who are experts in their craft but they lose track of time and in that 30 seconds their pasta is mushy. Or the judges get a meal that wouldn't be out of place in a Michelin star menu but they didn't incorporate the secret ingredient in a unique way.

People who succeed on Chopped aren't necessarily the best cooks, they're the ones who keep cool under pressure and can turn a mistake into a success. And maybe that practical application of their skill makes them better cooks than someone who can produce perfect food when there's no pressure, but that's what Chopped judges on.

I get what you're saying, I'm just bothered by the implication that "this thing I observed is average because I say it is average."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Usain Bolt isn't the world's fastest runner, he's just the guy who practiced a lot and can run fast under pressure with an audience

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

found it someone watch this and lmk if it's actually worthwhile
https://www.netflix.com/title/80212222

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like Babish’s kitchen set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

al-azad posted:

I get what you're saying, I'm just bothered by the implication that "this thing I observed is average because I say it is average."

How else are we supposed to critique it??? How is it so unbelievable that people can watch the man cook and tell that he is not an expert?

I can observe from your posting that your critical thinking skills are mediocre. I have studied critical thinking and I know the difference between mediocre, good, and exceptional.

The counterfeit artist analogy is wildly awful as well. The artists skill isn’t in question unless he or she makes a mistake. It could be a flawless counterfeit, and I would consider that person a talented artist, but it’s still a counterfeit. It has nothing to do with this guy cooking things.

Edit: there are verifiable skills in cooking that you can observe and, if you know what you’re observing, on which you can make qualitative judgements. For example: was his pan hot enough when he started? Did he execute a proper julienne? Did he add too much water to his dough? Did he overknead it? Does it taste how it’s supposed to? Did he burn the spices? Come on man. I haven’t even watched the video. Coming in to a thread where people who like to cook (or do it professionally, or both) and questioning their abilities to judge whether somebody knows how to cook or not is just so short sighted and frankly condescending. It might be crazy to you but cooking takes a lot of individual skills that all take practice. If I hand you a knife and you immediately cut yourself, I’m probably gonna think you’re not a good cook.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 24, 2018