Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Good job single person still working at cracked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Garbage microtransactions in my full-priced single player game?

Sterdust is on the case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIprERV9LM

Capcom is desperate to bury Devil May Cry, aren't they?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

#1 worst nostalgic wedding: The Nostalgia Critic wedding :downsrim:

Hey speaking of the walkman time for a tri annual review of a reviewers review. Took a watch of his Big Fat Liar episode. Man, Doug really has no more originality, doesn't he? Its basically all references to other stuff the entire way through. There isn't even any skits going on, which is a shock. I remember people talking about how his stuff really isn't fair use as all he does is walk you through the movie and this is the perfect example of it.

Also insert joke of Big Fat Liar being the title of the 10 year anniversary video.

I’d be more surprised if someone actually said Doug had improved markedly since #ChangeTheChannel. If nothing else it would be a good troll post to actually get me to watch a few minutes of his latest video to verify for myself before shrugging indifferently and carrying on with my day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know people complain about the youtube algorithm immediately burying black critics and serving up nazi trash to young kids, but I will never forgive it for recommending Doug videos to me in 2018.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doug in 2018 reminds me of the Caillou The Grown Up video. He hasn't changed one drat bit and it's gone from being mildly obnoxious to toxic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancfV-rhAHU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

Garbage microtransactions in my full-priced single player game?

Sterdust is on the case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIprERV9LM

This is weird though because they already did this in DMC4: SE and like, it really had no impact on the game at all, sometimes publishers are stupid and add "Get everything RIGHT NOW" options for things you already get loads of in the course of normal play, they really shouldn't do it because it's dumb, zero effort penny pinching, but it's weird to make the argument "IT'S GONNA MAKE THE GAME THIS OR THAT, IT'S AN INDISPUTABLE FACT" when they already did this before and it in fact did not. This one just feels really off the mark.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Yardbomb posted:

This is weird though because they already did this in DMC4: SE and like, it really had no impact on the game at all, sometimes publishers are stupid and add "Get everything RIGHT NOW" options for things you already get loads of in the course of normal play, they really shouldn't do it because it's dumb, zero effort penny pinching, but it's weird to make the argument "IT'S GONNA MAKE THE GAME THIS OR THAT, IT'S AN INDISPUTABLE FACT" when they already did this before and it in fact did not. This one just feels really off the mark.

I'm pretty sure he's worried that the game will end up like Shadow of War where the game system was demonstrably hosed up by the microtransactions being integrated. They actively made the game worse so that people would buy poo poo. We don't know for sure if the same thing will happen, but it's reasonable to be wary about something that has recently happened.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shadow of War was also really off the mark honestly, not once in that entire game did I ever feel like I needed to buy some dudes to do anything when I could run out, brain drain some idiot and they were all but assuredly better than trying to gamble on some loot box pull for some XXXL FUCKMASTER SUPREMO orc who'd probably end up eating poo poo in a bad fight like any other, I legit forgot the ability to spend real money was in there after a while because it was so thoroughly pointless. It shouldn't have been in the game, but not for some "It messed up the game's 'economy'" reason that people somehow worked up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Capcom are being scumbags here but putting "pride and accomplishment" in the thumbnail is a bit weak. Idk if they got it right in 4, but I found the prices for things in DMC 1 and 3 to be kind of on the high side compared to the rewards you get from levels. Unlocking one move, barring the first level of stinger, meant going multiple missions without an upgrade in order to save up enough red orbs. Jim talks about how Spider-Man had the perfect drip feed of upgrades, well in my experience DMC never had that, and if you wanted the special moves as early as possible the best way wasn't to get good, it was to farm. The pride and accomplishment comes from doing cool combos and getting high ranks, not having all the special moves.

E: Did you get to the endgame thing of Shadow of War? Supposedly that's where the grind really steps up, and you have to do it to get the true ending.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dabir posted:

E: Did you get to the endgame thing of Shadow of War? Supposedly that's where the grind really steps up, and you have to do it to get the true ending.

Yeah, the thing people took there was "Wow Shadow Wars (The big mode you have to interface with for the true end) is going pretty slow huh, do I need more mans?" and the answer is really no, Shadow Wars is just real slow whether you're buying mans or not, I didn't really see how it'd speed it up unless you were somehow converting absolutely nobody to bring into your wars with you. It sounded like a problem born more out of some reviewers not following their ABCs, Always Be Converting.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Jim Sterling missing the forest for the trees? Noooooooo, never.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

microtransactions in full price single player games are indefensible and inexcusable in every single case hope this helps

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doug in 2018 reminds me of the Caillou The Grown Up video. He hasn't changed one drat bit and it's gone from being mildly obnoxious to toxic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancfV-rhAHU

did anyone actually like Caillou ever? i remember seeing it a bunch of PBS because i was trapped on dialysis during my junior high years in a children's hospital and it was loving terrible. but yeah, that really is doug walker.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

microtransactions in full price single player games are indefensible and inexcusable in every single case hope this helps

depends. if its the Ubisoft model.(optional cosmetics/weapons and exp boosts/resources packs) then cool whatever. its its like the DMC V poo poo. then gently caress that.''

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Never understood that mentality. Nobody’s making you do it and it’s not locking you out of anything

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Locking me out of getting skills in a time frame that isn't measured in weeks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If it's like DMC4:SE it's fine, cause that game pooped orbs on you anyway.
If it's tuned around microtransactions being very appealing fuckthat.

They shouldn't be in (singleplayer) games anyway.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They tacked on the microtransaction poo poo in 4:SE. This most likely was a feature from the design stage, which should always cause for worry.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Let's make sure that players can access all of the powers and stuff we put in the game for free at a decent pace, without ever having to resort to the buying powers using the market we also put in the game!" said no game developer ever.

Any that wasn't then fired or demoted by his distributor, at least.

I don't particularly mind if companies add in the option of being invincible for 5 seconds in a single-player game for every buck you pump in, IF I didn't also know they'd add in bosses and levels where you'd need to be invincible to progress/unlock cool stuff and this basically demand your cash.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sephyr posted:

"Let's make sure that players can access all of the powers and stuff we put in the game for free at a decent pace, without ever having to resort to the buying powers using the market we also put in the game!" said no game developer ever.

Any that wasn't then fired or demoted by his distributor, at least.

This is a modern video game problem. Before DLC, this kind of thing was practically unheard of.

The closest thing you got was the old Nintendo games that were made so hard that you had to (beg your parents to) buy a subscription to Nintendo Power to figure poo poo out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

Never understood that mentality. Nobody’s making you do it and it’s not locking you out of anything
If the person selling you something tells you it's not important or necessary to buy then you should question why they're selling it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

This is a modern video game problem. Before DLC, this kind of thing was practically unheard of.

The closest thing you got was the old Nintendo games that were made so hard that you had to (beg your parents to) buy a subscription to Nintendo Power to figure poo poo out.

Precisely. It was not that they didn't want to, they just couldn't. So put in weird bullshit in games ("If you go to this spot on the map and jump 301 times, you get MegaExcalibur!") to sell guides. But then the internet just tells people the tricks for free, so straight-up charge them for the cool stuff as soon as the technology allows.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

very correct.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, the thing people took there was "Wow Shadow Wars (The big mode you have to interface with for the true end) is going pretty slow huh, do I need more mans?" and the answer is really no, Shadow Wars is just real slow whether you're buying mans or not, I didn't really see how it'd speed it up unless you were somehow converting absolutely nobody to bring into your wars with you. It sounded like a problem born more out of some reviewers not following their ABCs, Always Be Converting.
Having played the game both before and after it was radically rebalanced post microtransations being removed you are either lying or have a truly limitless amount of patience.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shadow Wars just didn't give me that much of an issue :shrug:

And when I play games like that I tend to screw around and do everything, so I was pretty much always loaded up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was significantly worse than the Mad Max game or any equivalent Farcry game which were themselves stuffed full of busywork.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

If the person selling you something tells you it's not important or necessary to buy then you should question why they're selling it.

Because there’s people who want to have a fully upgraded Nero, Dante, and whoever else has been confirmed I don’t know I stopped following the trailers, from the very get go as opposed to people who are more willing to play organically to learn those skills and master them before getting enough red heads to get a new one

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Because there’s people who want to have a fully upgraded Nero, Dante, and whoever else has been confirmed I don’t know I stopped following the trailers, from the very get go as opposed to people who are more willing to play organically to learn those skills and master them before getting enough red heads to get a new one

remember when we used to have cheat codes, built into the single-player games we bought for real dollars

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if your game has a price tag you don't get to charge microtransactions. if you want to charge me microtransactions you gimme the game for free.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are two possible options for microtransactions to "skip the grind". Either the game is properly balanced for the normal progression without microtransactions in which case you're paying to ruin the game experience, or the far more common scenario where the progression without microtransactions was purposely made unfun and to have a good time you're expected to spend money. Both are bad game design.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dmboogie posted:

remember when we used to have cheat codes, built into the single-player games we bought for real dollars

Groovelord Neato posted:

if your game has a price tag you don't get to charge microtransactions. if you want to charge me microtransactions you gimme the game for free.

:emptyquote:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was significantly worse than the Mad Max game or any equivalent Farcry game which were themselves stuffed full of busywork.

mad max was disappointing(i liked the game over all) because by the time you were super leveled. there was jack poo poo to do. and there was no new game plus. far cry is a mixed bag, alot of the fun,espcialy in 5 is just wandering around and doing whatever you feel like.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

dmboogie posted:

Remember how they revealed like five years later that Goldeneye had button pressy cheat codes which blew my mind as a kid

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll just wait for the PC version and use cheat engine just like every other single player game that wants to put in microtransactions suck on that CRAPCOM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

That not an answer for why it's being sold, that's a description of how they've enabled its sale.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Welcome to everything that's not food and shelter?

They're selling it because there are people who will pay for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Remember how they revealed like five years later that Goldeneye had button pressy cheat codes which blew my mind as a kid

Don't forget Rogue Squadron hiding the Naboo Starfighter for a full six months until The Phantom Menace released.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Garrand posted:

Welcome to everything that's not food and shelter?

They're selling it because there are people who will pay for it.

Yeah, the question isn't why the videogame industry has this model of dividing everything up into its smallest salable elements, that's kind of obvious: squeezing the most profit possible out of the customer base. The question is when other industries will become this blatant about it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I Before E posted:

Yeah, the question isn't why the videogame industry has this model of dividing everything up into its smallest salable elements, that's kind of obvious: squeezing the most profit possible out of the customer base. The question is when other industries will become this blatant about it.

the better question is whether it is a good practice

it isn't

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the better question is whether it is a good practice

it isn't

Oh, I took that as a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016