Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cool, thanks :)

unique blunderbuss -> unique arquebus sounds about right for me since i took the proficiencies at character creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The White Dragon posted:

cool, thanks :)

unique blunderbuss -> unique arquebus sounds about right for me since i took the proficiencies at character creation

I'd actually suggest going the other way -- use Red Hand for the first ten or twelve levels or so, then switch to Kitchen Stove.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That's exactly my plan! I'm currently trying to decide between dual wielding battle axes so that I can use Magran's Favor or using quarterstaffs for Chromoprismatic. Leaning toward quarterstaff currently but not sure.

I think the quarterstaff modal doesn't stack with the wizard deflection buffs, but having longer reach and Escape opens up a lot of positioning opportunities. Plus the Chromoprismatic staff looks fly as hell

The White Dragon posted:

3) i'm getting some weird stuttering when new models load in, and long load times in general. but i have quite good hardware. is that just the game, or are there ways i can improve my performance?

I had similar issues that resolved when I reinstalled the game on an SSD. Some areas also just perform a little poorly in general, like a decent number of the cities or boarding actions.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Red hand kinda blows after the most recent patch. I think now you want 1st weapon set kitchen stove + scordeo's, 1nd weapon set Eccea's / Gryphon's Blade with the bonus spell damage enchant (this is one reason I don't want to do another run till they've patched the "no random encounters" bug).

How did they nerf Red Hand?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bold Robot posted:

How did they nerf Red Hand?

You lose the stacked effect if you switch weapon sets, so you have to commit to using it and only it.

There are probably some builds that it's still good for but considering how much the game encourages weapon switching and how many pierce-immune enemies there are, it's no longer endgame-category for ciphers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying my Herald. There have been several fights where all or almost all of my party has wiped but the Herald just keeps on trucking and clutches it out. That shield that gives health regen + ancient memory + zealous endurance + lay on hands just makes him survive forever. And now that he has the Ogre summon he contributes pretty effectively in terms of party damage too.

I've also been regularly taking Tekehu along and having his healing spells + the Herald makes the party pretty damned durable unless the enemy has tons of burst damage. If it's at all an endurance fight I'll outlast enemies every time.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You lose the stacked effect if you switch weapon sets, so you have to commit to using it and only it.

There are probably some builds that it's still good for but considering how much the game encourages weapon switching and how many pierce-immune enemies there are, it's no longer endgame-category for ciphers.

Pierce immune things are mostly the Risen variants and some other undead types, I think? Dunno if it's still possible after the patch, but Red Hand double taps used to instagib them despite that.

Having a pretty good time with a Cipher/Ranger. She shoots things with the Essence Interruptor, has a ghost pet for blocks and flanks, and buffs/debuffs all the things with cipher powers. Pretty fun and flexible build so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wateroverfire posted:

Pierce immune things are mostly the Risen variants and some other undead types, I think? Dunno if it's still possible after the patch, but Red Hand double taps used to instagib them despite that.

Having a pretty good time with a Cipher/Ranger. She shoots things with the Essence Interruptor, has a ghost pet for blocks and flanks, and buffs/debuffs all the things with cipher powers. Pretty fun and flexible build so far.

Oh, that's a good point re: that enchant. Still though -- you don't get focus from instagibs like that! So still non-optimal for ciphers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there's no, like, cool bonus to be found for having imported my trial of iron character later on, is there? just out of curiosity

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Beyond a few storyline choices that maaaaybe don’t get set if you don’t import, a CYOA encounter with a character from poe1, a few lines of dialogue with random NPCs and two broken swords,nope.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Enjoying my Herald a lot. I think my next run will be something more damage focused, though. With the Ranger rework they're doing, I'm tempted to try one. Maybe Ranger/Rogue or something. I could see doing that and working for the Principi or Valians and enjoying it.

Eder kicks so much rear end as a Fighter/Rogue that I can't see ever making him go pure. Rogue seems like one of those classes that pairs well with just about any other melee type though. So many of the Rogue abilities work as Full Attacks meaning if you dual wield with them you dish out a lot of damage.

Eye Gouge and Weaken seem like pretty strong abilities in this too. Weaken I think lower cons by like 5 and lowers healing by 50%. Eye Gouge puts on a dot that iirc lasts the entire fight, and Blind is as always a very powerful debuff.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

What is the composition of y'all's parties usually like? In my first playthrough, I basically had Eder (Fighter) tanking, Xoti (Priest) as a secondary tank in heavy armor, Aloth (Wizard) in the back, Tekehu (Druid) typically at back as well casting offensive spells, and my PC (Rogue) floating between ranged damage and nasty stabbing up close. Seemed to work okay most times. Trying to figure out what to try in a new run. Is 2 tanks, 2 ranged, and 1 floater good?

Also, I just realized that in my first playthrough I accidentally used my PoE1 save for a character I completed before White March came out, so none of that factored into my Deadfire game. Whoops!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

DrPop posted:

What is the composition of y'all's parties usually like?

I usually bench casters and stick with characters who stab and bonk and shoot. But I'm a scrub who doesn't play on a higher difficulty.

edit: lol for real I feel bad for Aloth, who I always leave behind through no fault of his own. Like 2 playthroughs of both games and he's probably been in-party for like 10 hours total :/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

No matter how hard I try otherwise I almost always end up with three melee and two ranged of various compositions. Currently playing a Lifegiver Druid trying to see how savage I can make the DoT spells.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrPop posted:

What is the composition of y'all's parties usually like? In my first playthrough, I basically had Eder (Fighter) tanking, Xoti (Priest) as a secondary tank in heavy armor, Aloth (Wizard) in the back, Tekehu (Druid) typically at back as well casting offensive spells, and my PC (Rogue) floating between ranged damage and nasty stabbing up close. Seemed to work okay most times. Trying to figure out what to try in a new run. Is 2 tanks, 2 ranged, and 1 floater good?

Also, I just realized that in my first playthrough I accidentally used my PoE1 save for a character I completed before White March came out, so none of that factored into my Deadfire game. Whoops!
I almost never go with a pure, pure "tank" because there isn't enough ability to control the enemies without hard crowd control, so a solid front-line of at least 3 people who can stand up to a beating and two slightly more squishy folks works better for me, with a bonus of CC coming from either spells or summons, but otherwise yeah that'd work. A frontline of just two tanks never seemed to be enough to keep things under control for me. On the other hand, my line of fighter/rogue, paladin/chanter, paladin/cipher seemed to occasionally run into issues where I really needed Eder to go gently caress poo poo up and tank at the same time (usually Risen or the DLC Bridge undead) and more specialized character choices might work better.

So yeah, 3 melee, two "ranged", either caster or ranged damage, seems like its works for me fairly well. Xoti never worked out as well as I would have liked for me and I usually swapped her out, because I needed her support spells to come online quickly and her role as a combo tank/support didn't do it.

My typical party:
Eder fighter/rogue
Pallegina paladin/chanter
Watcher paladin/cipher (adjust as necessary, but the combo of damage, tankiness, support, and cc worked pretty well to be a jack-of-all-trades in melee)
Maia Ranger/Wizard (Wizard was mostly for self-buffs, occasional CC, and I would have preferred a pure ranger but I don't think they're great. Maybe after the patch)
Flex, usually Tekehu, but almost always a pure caster of some kind.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 25, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DrPop posted:

What is the composition of y'all's parties usually like?

Watcher Barb/Fighter
Eder Fighter/Rogue
Aloth Wizard/Fighter
Xoti Priest
Pallegina Paladin/Chanter

Subbed in the others as quests demanded/I felt like.

Tons of durability and control, lots of AoE damage, admittedly weaker against single bosses but the durability wins out. Interested in how the mega boss fight(s) would work with this comp.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Your tank should also deal some solid damage, which is why a pure fighter isn't as good as a fighter/rogue because of riposte, etc.

In my opinion, at least.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks for the ideas.

Fighter/Rogue sounds like an awesome combo. I avoided multiclasses on my first run because they seemed a bit too much for me to handle at the time, but I'd like to give them a whirl now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pallegina as Herlad
Mirke as pure monk
Aloth as a spellblade
Tekehu as pure druid
Watcher as a priest of magran

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DrPop posted:

PC Herald
Eder Fighter/Rogue
Xoti Priest

and then rotated the rest through.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just got my $250 box in the mail and I gotta say that I’m digging the quality of the swag a lot more this time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*banging fists on table like angry toddler* where's the drat DLC

Anno
May 10, 2017

2house2fly posted:

*banging fists on table like angry toddler* where's the drat DLC

Looks like a 1pm EST release like the game and BoW.

In the meantime another RtwP game launches today in something of a cosmic tragedy for the niche genre.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

How is the DLC integrated to the game?

Edit: not just the newest one but in general. I haven’t played the game at all yet

Anno
May 10, 2017

Smol posted:

How is the DLC integrated to the game?

Edit: not just the newest one but in general. I haven’t played the game at all yet

So far they’re both aimed at mid/mid-late game and rolled into the rest of the game. Beast of Winter is contained to a certain area, whereas the new one appears to have a central type area as well as adding some content over the rest of the world as well.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anno posted:

In the meantime another RtwP game launches today in something of a cosmic tragedy for the niche genre.

RtwP games still being a thing is the real tragedy

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It sounds like I should probably wait until all of the DLC has been released. I probably won’t have the time to finish the game before November anyway

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anno posted:

Is there a Kingmaker thread? Someone should probably make one.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
whats with the rtwp anime date sim genre & not letting u romance the undead elfs, smh first deadfire now kingmakr

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you can't romance Chris Avellone's goblin character after he made such a point of saying the first Pillars game should have had romances in it because they were in Baldur's Gate then the man is a damned hypocrite. Anyway, it's time to start seeking and slaying some survivors, gamers

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

true gamers will be smoking that gang weed playing Avellone's Kingmaker, not that weaksauce Obsidian DLC poo poo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

2GB update available on Steam

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lol well there's final boss egg on my face. Regarding the final area, a dev confirmed on the official forums that if you freed the water dragon earlier in the game you don't get the fight OR conversation with the Ukaizo Guardian. When the game launched you'd fight it no matter what, and after the 2.0 patch you could still talk to it, now with 3.0 you "correctly" just waltz through the front gates (past a couple of angry Titans) :downs:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Lol well there's final boss egg on my face. Regarding the final area, a dev confirmed on the official forums that if you freed the water dragon earlier in the game you don't get the fight OR conversation with the Ukaizo Guardian. When the game launched you'd fight it no matter what, and after the 2.0 patch you could still talk to it, now with 3.0 you "correctly" just waltz through the front gates (past a couple of angry Titans) :downs:
That's kind of annoying.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

2house2fly posted:

That's bizzare. Missing the conversation would have annoyed me but I was pretty loving confused when I had to fight it since the dialogue prompts before had come across like it was dead.
The conversation did feel like a bug though.

Is it worth getting the new DLC if all I care about is story content? I backed Kingmaker so I'm going to be playing that but SSS doesn't seem like it's aimed at me.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

New expansion is buggy as hell. Have encountered missing strings in scripted encounters and crashed right at the beginning.

Taear posted:

That's bizzare. Missing the conversation would have annoyed me but I was pretty loving confused when I had to fight it since the dialogue prompts before had come across like it was dead.
The conversation did feel like a bug though.

Is it worth getting the new DLC if all I care about is story content? I backed Kingmaker so I'm going to be playing that but SSS doesn't seem like it's aimed at me.

It seems to do with Galawain, which might be interesting from a story perspective. He's the one I pledged to in PoE1 and I'm interested.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Galawain for life(and for everything not a priest)!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DrPop posted:

New expansion is buggy as hell. Have encountered missing strings in scripted encounters and crashed right at the beginning.

It seems to do with Galawain, which might be interesting from a story perspective. He's the one I pledged to in PoE1 and I'm interested.

I think the loot button in the arena is broken too. I tried three times and it never gave me the sweet armor set I saw when pressing take all loot and continue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

true gamers will be smoking that gang weed playing Avellone's Kingmaker, not that weaksauce Obsidian DLC poo poo

I'm getting my truly old school RPG on by playing the new Bard's Tale game

As demonstrated by Ready Player One Real True Gamers play sequels to 1980's franchises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Playing the Pathfinder game makes me love this one so much more. Them dumping these tabletop rules for a homebrew that's easier and simplified was the greatest move in the history of CRPG design. Pathfinder Kingmaker literally Baldur's Gate 2018. Here's what I wrote on the Steam forums:

quote:

If you want a CRPG to hold you over, just get Pillars of Eternity 2. It's twice the game this one is. It also is more stable and has two expansions out. Also, it's on sale right now. That said, I haven't had any crashes of the few hours I played Pathfinders, but the menus sure are buggy. It's very much the Pathfinder ruleset and it feels like a thing developed by fans of those rules who never looked at them critically. It's very easy to make a broken character and nothing is really explained so if you don't know anything about the ruleset you're kind of feeling in the dark. To their credit, the difficulty options are plentiful and there's a lot you can change to alleviate rules from crushing you.

Here's an example of something that happened: I ran into a cave, at level 2, that had physical immune enemies in it. The three grenades I had on me weren't enough and I had no magic users. That one instance was impossible for me to do. A fail-state. I had to reload and skip that part. I didn't have the right party composition which made the situation impossible. Not that being a caster is any easier early on. Again, take the wrong feats or invest in the wrong stats, it's incredibly hard. Enemies get attack of opportunities on you if you cast in melee range. You fight an awful lot of melee and ranged rogues in the tutorial. In a better designed game, the first companion you'd get would be a tank to absorb all that damage for you, regardless of class. Instead you're stuck with a bard and sorcerer, so best of luck. I backed the game on Kickstarter thinking they'd be inspired by the ruleset and make it somewhat accessible for people who don't live and breath Pathfinder. Nope. The metagame seems cool, but it's the kind of game Baldur's Gate was - incredibly slavish to the ruleset that inspired it.

Obsidian had it right by moving away from this junk and simplifying things and adding much needed quality-of-life systems to make it more user friendly and fun. I'll stick with this one, but if you don't know anything about Pathfinder and don't have a high tolerance for bad obtuse mechanics, I'd just skip it altogether.

I'm also bitching about it in the SA Steam thread too. Had to restart 3 times. First time I made a Monk, which had an easier time in the tutorial area, but I ran across that aforementioned physical immune enemies (spider swarms they're called). The second one was a Sorcerer but I got my rear end handed to me. So I remade another Sorcerer and pumped a shitload of points into Dex and got mage armor and dodge. Now I'm doing OK so far with this run. loving Avellone better keep his gob shut about Obsidian's CRPGs in the future. Kingmaker isn't even half the game. The amount of thought that went into the encounter design and flow in Eternity is masterclass, even without comparing it to Kingmaker. You had an easier time with Baldur's Gate bullshit start and that's saying something.