Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love gargano vs ciampa specifically because it's loving cornball. How could anyone be against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lid posted:

Jimmy Havoc did a promo/interview on PROGRESS doing Wembley Stadium, which is pretty huge

Just to clarify - Progress have a show at Wembley Arena. Still a big deal - it’s where TNA used to do their really successful UK tapings but it’s like a 12,000 cap indoor venue and not the 80,000 or so outdoor place that WWE did for SummerSlam.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NienNunb posted:

Gargano/Ciampa is the most cornball match I've ever seen, anyone who thinks it's a positive example of death match wrestling desperately needs to watch non-WWE produced shows.

The_Rob posted:

I love gargano vs ciampa specifically because it's loving cornball. How could anyone be against that.

I'm just as confused as you are. I didn't realise there was deathmatch elitism, hell the one in AAA TripleMania was goofy as all hell and I don't remember these deathmatch Jim.Cornettes coming out to call on the purity of their avant garde performance art.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gargano V Ciampa was a great match that has had its reputation tanked by being in a feud that has somehow become less and less violent with each match but contains more and more "what have my violent hands wrought" spots.

More importantly though, who actually considers any of those matches a death match? They're hardcore matches but it doesn't really feel like a death match until someone at least does a back body drop on tacks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They're not deathmatches, the point though is that (letting the idea of the feud pass) is that they are different again because of a loss of saturation of the idea of what is hardcore where everyone was doing hardcore. Jimmy Havoc's interview interview was specifically on that regarding hardcore matches that on top of people being untrained but hitting with weapons it made the barrier to entry just "how much pain can you take/dish out without feeling bad" rather than being a good wrestler and having hardcore matches be the peak of a feud, not the start of a feud or so run of the mill to become stagnant and boring and simply not special at all.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The_Rob posted:

It's the bad type of cornball where it takes the melodrama seriously and it suffers for it. Good cornball is when it's in on the joke. I wouldn't hate it so much if people didn't treat it as the pinnacle of what wrestling should be.

Lid posted:

I'm just as confused as you are. I didn't realise there was deathmatch elitism, hell the one in AAA TripleMania was goofy as all hell and I don't remember these deathmatch Jim.Cornettes coming out to call on the purity of their avant garde performance art.

Nobody's holding up the AAA match as being the best thing in wrestling and not overexposed while making GBS threads on actual good stuff.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The Gargano/Ciampa matches are over-produced and under-deliver. Both guys are very capable of putting on better, more violent matches but it's the main focus of NXT at the moment. I think in their minds it's supposed to be as dramatic as the Triple H/Shawn Michaels feud but they're stuck in NXT as the main attraction in an era that's generally a lot less violent so all their stuff looks a lot more goofy when they're not allowed to go 100%. They can kind of plan around big high spots but all they've REALLY got to work with are table spots and handcuffs. It pales in comparison to the Generico/Steen feud before they went to the WWE because they were given a lot more leeway with violence and it lead to a really famous/disgusting spot where Steen hit a brutal chairshot to Generico and signed his own name with the blood pouring out of Generico's forehead into a match that really had no boundaries as far as violence went.

The feud is kind of cut off at the knees because it SHOULD be more violent than the WWE allows but there's nothing they can really do about it and they don't have the clout that Orton/Jeff Hardy could pull in Hell in a Cell which looked absolutely disgusting.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I don't like death matches or even blading I was just disappointed in how they drew out the feud and ruined it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's the bad type of cornball where it takes the melodrama seriously and it suffers for it. Good cornball is when it's in on the joke. I wouldn't hate it so much if people didn't treat it as the pinnacle of what wrestling should be.

Nobody's holding up the AAA match as being the best thing in wrestling and not overexposed while making GBS threads on actual good stuff.

Absolutely not. Good cornball is when people take their melodrama seriously. Bad cornball is when they're in on the joke. There's nothing worst than a couple dorks winking at me the whole time going isn't this dumb?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lid posted:

They're not deathmatches, the point though is that (letting the idea of the feud pass) is that they are different again because of a loss of saturation of the idea of what is hardcore where everyone was doing hardcore. Jimmy Havoc's interview interview was specifically on that regarding hardcore matches that on top of people being untrained but hitting with weapons it made the barrier to entry just "how much pain can you take/dish out without feeling bad" rather than being a good wrestler and having hardcore matches be the peak of a feud, not the start of a feud or so run of the mill to become stagnant and boring and simply not special at all.
Well he’s definitely got a point, considering how many insane contemporary death match spots on YouTube barely get pops. Unless they’ve got a meme worker like Zandig in them

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I stand by the first Ciampa vs Gargano plunder match being good. Them returning to the same well 3 times was bad with diminishing returns each time

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
HBK/HHH matches were always lovely wankfests. If that's what they were going for, mission accomplished.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The_Rob posted:

Absolutely not. Good cornball is when people take their melodrama seriously. Bad cornball is when they're in on the joke. There's nothing worst than a couple dorks winking at me the whole time going isn't this dumb?

Seriously that poo poo is why there’s a million fuckin Sharknado movies and boy nearly enough Miami Connections

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Gargano/Ciampa matches would probably have more impact if their entire history wasn't "we got put together in a tournament, did tags for two years, and then lost the titles, so now we're trying to straight up murder each other"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm glad those boys are getting paid/alive. That's about it. I dunno why people keep WWE expecting to do right with good wrestlers when WWE's history is built on doing the laziest poo poo because they can still pack an arena.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1043915356916645888

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Kenny has been working on this seemingly forever:

https://twitter.com/kenjohnson1028/status/1044021051565461504

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mick Foley just did the first of two nights here for his show where he waived his fee and raised $7,500 for the local humane society. Good dude and funny show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually caught an old TNA episode on TV or Twitch the other week and saw PCO as X vs Christopher Daniels and Sonjay Dutt (the only match of the show I actually stopped to watch) and it was so weird seeing him a decade ago.

Almost as weird as Daniels looking almost exactly the same.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1044020249518067712

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ooh. that venue is in jersey city, but it's literally faster for me to get from north brooklyn to there via public transit than it is to evolve's recent venues. it's also very close to downtown jersey city, which has lots of cool poo poo, like barcade, and i assume a lot of hotels and stuff.

very smart pick and much better than i was expecting, though i wonder if that means someone else is going to have the melrose ballroom (where gcw ran the joey janela show last month, where impact is running BFG, and where MLW has been running in NYC)?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think NOVA’s gonna run there I bet. I was pricing out that trip and hating myself this weekend.

Also you can see me in the PCO video lol.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seriously that poo poo is why there’s a million fuckin Sharknado movies and boy nearly enough Miami Connections

There's a difference between being funny bad and being corny nonsense. Gargano/Ciampa isn't The Room, it's a lovely Oscar bait movie that devolved into cringeworthy melodrama after a good opening act.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

AHS crossover confirmed.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RealFoxy posted:

It pales in comparison to the Generico/Steen feud before they went to the WWE

probably my favorite bloodfeud that I can remember in the last decade (but I also don't watch a lot of lucha or Japanese stuff outside of NJPW so maybe I am missing one)

KungFu Grip posted:

I stand by the first Ciampa vs Gargano plunder match being good. Them returning to the same well 3 times was bad with diminishing returns each time

Agreed

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Going to guess the collective involves at minimum: GCW, Beyond, NOVA and CHIKARA.

I'd love to see SHIMMER break free of WWN but I fear that Prazak is too tied in/lazy to escape their garbage orbit.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Cory Lidle posted:

Going to guess the collective involves at minimum: GCW, Beyond, NOVA and CHIKARA.

I'd love to see SHIMMER break free of WWN but I fear that Prazak is too tied in/lazy to escape their garbage orbit.
Of course, WWN would actually have to be running their own shows Mania weekend for DP to even have to make that decision. And as the months go on, it's looking less and less likely that it happens. Either they're waiting on WWE (since there's still no Axxess venue), they can't find a suitable venue (there are numerous factors in play here), or both.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd like to see GCW use their BJW ties to have a BJW show on there, or at least some BJW guys on the cards that run. Masashi Takeda deserves a breakout Wrestlemania weekend so that people can appreciate how good he is and not carry on in their broken brained "deathmatch wrestling is for poo poo wrestlers" takes.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

davidbix posted:

Of course, WWN would actually have to be running their own shows Mania weekend for DP to even have to make that decision. And as the months go on, it's looking less and less likely that it happens. Either they're waiting on WWE (since there's still no Axxess venue), they can't find a suitable venue (there are numerous factors in play here), or both.

Thought it was a lock they were running La Boom Mania weekend.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

davidbix posted:

Who wouldn't want Sal's mob money? It's NYC, they're used to that sort of thing.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/aiwrestling/status/1044401121119358977

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AIW is in on that Collective thing for Mania weekend

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ah poo poo I guess I've got to start going back to AIW shows in November. It's been a couple months. I guess Tim Donst is a champion there now though and I always like seeing him.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rovert posted:

Thought it was a lock they were running La Boom Mania weekend.
I had heard something similar from a few people, but they were unsure if there were definite shows or just a hold on the venue. That said, while it only surfaced yesterday in a Reddit thread after GCW officially announced The Collective, the WWN Facebook account appears to have told a German fan that they have La Boom booked with PROGRESS for Thursday and Friday shows only: http://imgur.com/gallery/YvjGs5F

Once they announce, I should probably use that as an opportunity to the story behind the story, because there's some stuff going on here that isn't even that well known within wrestling.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
How and where Beyond Wrestling falls will be interesting.

Drew has ties to equal sides of the divide.

Will CZW exist then too!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I believe Gabe already confirmed on Twitter WWN wouldn't be running anything on Saturday, which makes sense between NXT and ROH+NJPW.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shigehiro Irie has left DDT to spend more time overseas, so anyone in the Midwest, keep an eye out for him as he'll probably start showing up there a lot.

abraham linksys posted:

I believe Gabe already confirmed on Twitter WWN wouldn't be running anything on Saturday, which makes sense between NXT and ROH+NJPW.

drat now I won't be able to make hilarious jokes about watching Style Battle when Takeover/Supercard is on.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 25, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

but will wrestle circus run

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Isn't Highspots running Time Square?

Or did I just think that during a fever dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

rovert posted:

How and where Beyond Wrestling falls will be interesting.

Drew has ties to equal sides of the divide.

Will CZW exist then too!
This year's Mania was a loving debacle for all the normal reasons (invisible fees and taking weeks to pay) and I've zero expectation to see Drew run a show with WWN.

PROGRESS is sticking with because co-opted little doggies run in packs.