Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yeah, Normal mode is a more relaxed affair. The professional mode just makes you hate your teammates and yourself, especially when you see your buddies missing yet another jump on the bounce pad in Shifty Station.

Still going to go through that next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I prefer professional because i'm a Pro gamer. and bc no one on my friends list picked retro ...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what does the clout give you? Winning gives you super sea snails, obviously, but still confused what clout really does

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you get more clout from winning in pro than normal?

I suspect (didn't bother with pro because I just wanted to splat with friends) that the highs are higher and the lows are lower, similar to the normal vs. ranked/league dichotomy.

Cactus posted:

I just played the scrub version because I was playing with my son all day.

Whatever version you play is the scrub version lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Whatever version you play is the scrub version lmao

Sorry for calling you out Cactus, the setup was just too good, no hard feelings :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Astro7x posted:

So what does the clout give you? Winning gives you super sea snails, obviously, but still confused what clout really does

It is used to determine which team wins the Splatfest, instead of judging solely on the number of wins.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Wait, I missed out on the Splatfest this week, with normal mode, you can choose to replay with the same team as a solo queuer?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dad Jokes posted:

Wait, I missed out on the Splatfest this week, with normal mode, you can choose to replay with the same team as a solo queuer?

Yeah, and you can queue as any size team, not restricted to 4.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Yeah, Normal mode is a more relaxed affair. The professional mode just makes you hate your teammates and yourself, especially when you see your buddies missing yet another jump on the bounce pad in Shifty Station.

Still going to go through that next month.

Normal mode is better because I am the one missing the bounce pad jump and I don’t want to be that teammate in pro

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i dunno why normal mode wasnt the splatfest default in splat 2 like it was in splat 1, i still have some super fond memories of synergising with a bunch of squids naturally, sticking with them and clowning on the other team all the way to queen with 30+ winstreaks. i cant even remember anything like that in splat 2 since every match you get a different bunch every time

mostly played pro this splatfest but will probably do more normal next time round

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like normal bc I don't like getting matched against teams that may actually be coordinating on voice or whatever.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

In Training posted:

I don't like normal bc I don't like getting matched against teams that may actually be coordinating on voice or whatever.

The best solution is to coördinate on voice yourself.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The best solution is to coördinate on voice yourself.

I’m hoping they enable public voice chat like with Mario Kart so we can do this. My friends aren’t always online when I want to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m hoping they enable public voice chat like with Mario Kart so we can do this. My friends aren’t always online when I want to play.

This would be cool

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played a bunch of times with the same Squids in Splatfest yesterday which was great, one of them even sent me a friend request after :3:

I loved that I could see the opposing team’s win streak it made the stakes seem higher. And I was very excited to win my two 10x matches. I really like the new format a lot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Smiles posted:

i dunno why normal mode wasnt the splatfest default in splat 2 like it was in splat 1, i still have some super fond memories of synergising with a bunch of squids naturally, sticking with them and clowning on the other team all the way to queen with 30+ winstreaks. i cant even remember anything like that in splat 2 since every match you get a different bunch every time

mostly played pro this splatfest but will probably do more normal next time round

Yeah, I remember one splatfest in splatoon 1 where I'd aggressive streak forward with my inkbrush and one teammate would always follow in and we'd consistently stop the other team's advance while our team inked the backline. Did it like 10 matches in a row, it was great!

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

for me i still remember one splatfest where every match a splatling and i with my 3k would first rush to mid to stop any bad guy advances while a splattershot and roller inked up our side, then when they were done id mark all the bad guys with echolocator and all three of them would dive into hostile territory with inkstrikes, krakens and inkzookas while i held the choke. i still get teary thinking about how well we worked together without a word being said

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I prefer professional because i'm a Pro gamer. and bc no one on my friends list picked retro ...

I did! We just missed each other.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smiles posted:

for me i still remember one splatfest where every match a splatling and i with my 3k would first rush to mid to stop any bad guy advances while a splattershot and roller inked up our side, then when they were done id mark all the bad guys with echolocator and all three of them would dive into hostile territory with inkstrikes, krakens and inkzookas while i held the choke. i still get teary thinking about how well we worked together without a word being said

I miss echolocator......

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

S1 was a wonderful mess that I love but I'm glad S2 is what it is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
inner agent 3 is a really cool idea that, like the rest of the game, is constantly dragged down by loving autobombs

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bleck posted:

inner agent 3 is a really cool idea that, like the rest of the game, is constantly dragged down by loving autobombs
I think it's more dragged down by being tied to one weapon type.

Not proficient in that specific weapon type? GET hosed BUDDY.

I feel like it would have been way more fun if you could have chosen from a group of weapons from each class, or like the hero weapon set or something. Fight would have been way more fun for me if I could have tried to beam it with a roller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crawfish posted:

I think it's more dragged down by being tied to one weapon type.

Not proficient in that specific weapon type? GET hosed BUDDY.

I feel like it would have been way more fun if you could have chosen from a group of weapons from each class, or like the hero weapon set or something. Fight would have been way more fun for me if I could have tried to beam it with a roller.

It's just the basic splattergun, which literally everyone has used for a bit in multiplayer and singleplayer, so it's not like they're expecting you to do the fight with a Charger. It's also really more of a pattern-recognition boss than anything, because once you know the basic dance for each stage it's somewhat easier to work your way back up to the later stages.

What'll actually help you the most is getting as much turf inked as possible each time they bugger off back to their platform to switch loadouts, because to slows them down having to actually ink their way around the arena and gives you more of an opening to gently caress'em over. The Bubble Blower special might seem like an easy opening to close in from the side and splat'em quickly, but the Bubbles themselves are gonna gently caress you up right back for the next stage of the fight when they eat a third of the arena's floor if you don't clean them up ASAP.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/F_ririri/status/1043774167126949888

This might be a bug, but I'm not certain.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Inner agent 3 was a let down to me for a number for reasons and being fixed to that one weapons was a big part of it. I don’t use this weapon in multiplayer and I just played a DLC using everything else.

Also I use bubbles online because no one knows how to deal with them. That applies to me in this fight as well. :v:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just the basic splattergun, which literally everyone has used for a bit in multiplayer and singleplayer, so it's not like they're expecting you to do the fight with a Charger.
The problem is that how big that bit is still depends on the person. Taking singleplayer into consideration, I would have used it maybe 3 or 4% of my total Splat 1 playtime, and i'd be lucky if it was even 1% of my Splat 2 playtime. Creating a game around using one of a good handful of weapon types and then locking a bonus boss behind only one of them is kind of dumb.

It's even worse when you consider that the gyro and r stick sliders would be set to something appropriate to the weapons you usually use, making it even harder for people not used to the basic gun they threw away as soon as they hit Lv 5.

Rest of your opinion is top tier advice for anyone that hasn't beaten it yet though. Keeping on top of territory is what got it for me in the end.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Sorry for calling you out Cactus, the setup was just too good, no hard feelings :v:

No, it's true. I'm the one that's constantly missing jump pads.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Or keep doing that. And never regret.

To be clear, I don't give a poo poo about losing at splatfest. It was more that almost every team I was on was so mind-blowingly bad, it made such a miserable experience that I didn't even bother playing through to King. Like I don't think I'm super good at this game but I was #1 on every match with like 5-6 more splats than the next person down, so I don't think I was the problem. I guess I could have checked the discord but usually I can't find anyone to party up with so I didn't bother checking this time around.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 24, 2018

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Does this count as a belated victory for Team No-Pulp?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raditts posted:

I guess I could have checked the discord but usually I can't find anyone to party up with so I didn't bother checking this time around.

:catstare:

Discord was bumpin’ all day lol

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Yeah, the goon discord is at its most active during Splatfests.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Yiszy1/status/1044275377567227909?s=19

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

holy poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I might spend some down time at work on other characters (Pearl, Marina), idk

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Serenade posted:

Inner agent 3 was a let down to me for a number for reasons and being fixed to that one weapons was a big part of it. I don’t use this weapon in multiplayer and I just played a DLC using everything else.

Also I use bubbles online because no one knows how to deal with them. That applies to me in this fight as well. :v:

The game is trying to teach you these things.

The spoiler boss turfs really aggressively and makes things explode a lot. To win you have to master efficient turfing with shooter weapons and abusing line of sight to avoid explosive subs and specials.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

To be clear, I don't give a poo poo about losing at splatfest. It was more that almost every team I was on was so mind-blowingly bad, it made such a miserable experience that I didn't even bother playing through to King. Like I don't think I'm super good at this game but I was #1 on every match with like 5-6 more splats than the next person down, so I don't think I was the problem. I guess I could have checked the discord but usually I can't find anyone to party up with so I didn't bother checking this time around.

Ah right yeah, I know the feeling of that slog all to well. Both in Sploon2 and the original. I've done it a few times. That's where I usually leave off at *just* Champ, or because I'm working the next day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Today was the first actual day of paid online correct? I played for an hour and a half in ranked and then some more Salmon Run, at various times in the evening and had the same queue times as ever :woomy: not surprising I guess but good to see

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Wanna take a ride on the ride in Wahoo World?

https://twitter.com/WemI0/status/1044488952131047424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This sort of thing is the only good result of "cheating" in games

I like out of bounds videos