Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DrNutt posted:

I hope that this is the reason that the rest of the TNG cast haven't been approached for the series yet. I mean it doesn't have to be TNG take 2 to work as a show but to do a show with Picard and snub the rest of the cast would be a hell of a thing.

I would imagine everyone except Data will have a cameo if the actors want to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I would imagine everyone except Data will have a cameo if the actors want to do it.

Data can easily be mocap CGId for a view screen shot in 2018/9

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Data can easily be mocap CGId for a view screen shot in 2018/9

I suppose, I just worry that it'll look really fake.

Though since he's a robot maybe it looking fake will work?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I suppose, I just worry that it'll look really fake.

Though since he's a robot maybe it looking fake will work?

Yeah I think for him specifically the uncanny valley is A-OK

especially if it's just a headshot cameo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I think for him specifically the uncanny valley is A-OK

especially if it's just a headshot cameo

That could be interesting, intentionally using the uncanny valley for an android that isn't quite human enough to pass.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's a render since his positronic backup was retrieved from B4 into an emulated server and he projects holographically until they can stabilise a human-scale positronic net :techno:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Ah, Data, I see you have activated the "fat and old chip" that Dr. Soong left for you, so that you would appear to age realistically with your contemporary human friends."

"Indeed I have. And I see Captain Riker has done the same."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

"Ah, Data, I see you have activated the "fat and old chip" that Dr. Soong left for you, so that you would appear to age realistically with your contemporary human friends."

It would be worth it just for that quip.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

lmbo

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

*Depressed, Riker fires up another DS9 program and pretends to be Chef once again, eating away his misery.

This is now canon.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is he still first officer on the Enterprise?
Who's the captain now? Captain Crusher?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nullsmack posted:

Is he still first officer on the Enterprise?
Who's the captain now? Captain Crusher?

At the end of Nemesis, Riker takes command of the USS Titan.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh sure it's just a little weird that they've gone on record now to state that they haven't been approached, and recent comments from some of them have even been crossing over into "throwing shade at Discovery" territory, which you know, may not be the best way to secure a job on another new Star Trek series.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Oh sure it's just a little weird that they've gone on record now to state that they haven't been approached, and recent comments from some of them have even been crossing over into "throwing shade at Discovery" territory, which you know, may not be the best way to secure a job on another new Star Trek series.

That is probably because The Orville is courting most of the old TNG group.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't read dumb EU poo poo, but the Star Trek: Countdown comic, which Kurtzman and Orci contributed towards the basic story, had B-4 allow himself to share his body with a resurrected Data, and the new Data becomes Captain of the Ent-E. And Picard is an ambassador of some sort.

Even though Kurtzman contributed to it, I can easily imagine him ignoring all of it if whatever story the cook up for Old Picard needs to.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 24, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DrNutt posted:

I dunno if I'd say Sirtis was throwing shade as much as she was making a fair point...as one of the most prominent former and perhaps future CBS employees, she and the other former Star Trek actors should get free CBS All Access.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Astroman posted:

I dunno if I'd say Sirtis was throwing shade as much as she was making a fair point...as one of the most prominent former and perhaps future CBS employees, she and the other former Star Trek actors should get free CBS All Access.

Still a gifting cockney urchin after all these years

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its weird, I ate up Star Wars EU stuff, but I could never get into Star Trek EU. Maybe because Imazi read more like a romance novel than a sci fi one.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

lol but seriously I posted:

Still a gifting cockney urchin after all these years

I mean, would you pay for STD?

Watched First Contact again yesterday. Still owns. That's a good movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Its weird, I ate up Star Wars EU stuff, but I could never get into Star Trek EU. Maybe because Imazi read more like a romance novel than a sci fi one.

Most of the Star Trek EU is extraordinarily boring and reads like bad fan-fiction more than any other licensed book series.

It doesn’t help that they keep recycling the same ten enemy races. At least the Star Wars EU bothered to invent new ones from time to time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

As we all know, Nemesis is utter garbage, but I just saw this deleted scene and it's actually... incredibly good? Ah what could have been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxyd7L-2YuQ

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alan_Shore posted:

As we all know, Nemesis is utter garbage, but I just saw this deleted scene and it's actually... incredibly good? Ah what could have been

So does Data just regurgitate that fine wine into the sink later?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most of the Star Trek EU is extraordinarily boring and reads like bad fan-fiction more than any other licensed book series.

It doesn’t help that they keep recycling the same ten enemy races. At least the Star Wars EU bothered to invent new ones from time to time.

There was some pretty inventive stuff being written in the 70s and 80s, but once TNG came on the air, the novel's writers were under a lot of restrictions over what they could add to the setting beyond what had been established on-screen. Like, one writer was told they had to remove a minor bit of backstory about Andorians they'd written in an early TNG novel because it might contradict what the show planned on doing with them... never mind that the Andorians never appeared in TNG, it was apparently important enough that the novels never even contradict purely hypothetical future episodes...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

No, that scene is terrible and it has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the skull.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

So does Data just regurgitate that fine wine into the sink later?

If he has a fully functionally ding dong maybe he can process liquids in his positronic paunch?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I read a shocking amount of Star Trek novels in my teens. Mostly because someone in my family knew someone else that somehow got every single one when it was published. By far the worst one I ever read was named something like "Here there be dragons". Every single sentence Picard said ended in an exclamation mark and frankly I've read bad fanfiction that was written better than that book. I think I made it 40 pages in before I closed it and returned it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only Star Trek EU I recall enjoying were a handful of the Stargazer and Captain’s Table novels, some of the original TOS novels from the 70s/80s, and the first few Enterprise relaunch novels. Every TNG novel I read was the literary equivalent of wallpaper paste. The pre-Nemesis ‘A Time To...’ series was the worst offender.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I had a couple Starfleet Academy kids books that I rather enjoyed as a child. They're suuuuuper kiddy though. Highlights included young worf having a literal line drawn down the middle of his dorm by his angry roommate, and young Geordi playing transporter capture the flag

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jivjov posted:

I had a couple Starfleet Academy kids books that I rather enjoyed as a child. They're suuuuuper kiddy though. Highlights included young worf having a literal line drawn down the middle of his dorm by his angry roommate, and young Geordi playing transporter capture the flag

Book #1: Young Riker tests his might in the Academy Anbo-jiutsu tournament!
Book #2: Young Harry Kim finds a new rival in the Academy orchestra!
Book #3: Young Kira plants a bomb in a local cafe frequented by collaborators and hides from the death squads!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Book #1: Young Riker tests his might in the Academy Anbo-jiutsu tournament!
Book #2: Young Harry Kim finds a new rival in the Academy orchestra!
Book #3: Young Kira plants a bomb in a local cafe frequented by collaborators and hides from the death squads!

Book #4: Young Seven of Nine walks down a dimly-lit Borg cube hallway, points the twiddly bits on her hand at something on the wall for a few seconds, then goes back the other way, her expression still blank.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I have a million Star Trek novels. Including all of the Fotonovels, the Animated Series novels, and the Phase novels.
By and large the only ones worth a drat are almost always TOS, and almost always written by women.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stairs posted:

I have a million Star Trek novels. Including all of the Fotonovels, the Animated Series novels, and the Phase novels.
By and large the only ones worth a drat are almost always TOS, and almost always written by women.

Yeah weird pre tng ones by like Diane Duane and poo poo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The finest piece of literature ever written:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tiggum posted:

The finest piece of literature ever written:

Love dat season 2 Riker mixed with late DS9 Worf

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wolverine and Troi boink don't they?

I love any technical manual style trek book, like I bought the Encyclopedia twice because they released a new version that had up to the end of DS9 in it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Love dat season 2 Riker mixed with late DS9 Worf
also Professor X's radioactive floating head

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powered Descent posted:

Book #4: Young Seven of Nine walks down a dimly-lit Borg cube hallway, points the twiddly bits on her hand at something on the wall for a few seconds, then goes back the other way, her expression still blank.

Don't be absurd. Young Seven of Nine spent her youth in a borg maturation tube.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only good Star Trek book is A Stitch In Time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Star Trek/Green Lantern crossover comic was surprisingly okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Wasn't there a terrible TOS book that was captain Spock and drug addict cadet Kirk perilously close to actual slash fiction? I have it somewhere and there was a rumour that if you got a specific edition it had actual slash fic?