Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the Sigma version worse?

Yes, although some things are a matter of preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Like is Sigma easier or what?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the Sigma version worse?

It'd be a perfectly fine option for people who aren't going in super deep or who never played the previous version but there are a lot of little changes that hardcore players tend not to like, and both Sigma games have a thing for adding sections with alternate characters that are never that great. It also wasn't a great port technically, but one would imagine that'd be addressed with a newer version.

The differences between NG2 and Sigma 2 are more drastic - NG2 was released before it was done so it has a lot of technical issues and big chunks of the game feel unpolished, but Sigma 2's way of "fixing" things was to basically cut out or replace things rather than rebalance them, so it's not really the same experience. They also replaced all the single-player missions with forced co-op missions, some of which literally cannot be beaten with an AI partner.

NG3 is a notoriously bad game and the Razors Edge update completely invalidates it, but still isn't great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Get the console, because you'll inevitably discover other titles you want that are almost certainly never getting remade/rereleased.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the responses.

So, I want an Xbox solely for:

Ninja Gaiden Black
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Toe Jam & Earl 3
Gunvalkyrie

Are these titles worth the $30 investment for the console?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the console, because you'll inevitably discover other titles you want that are almost certainly never getting remade/rereleased.

I literally don't want a single other game for the console.

I'm familiar with its entire library, and almost everything is on PC but Sega games, because Sega only knows how to port Genesis titles to modern systems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't see Otogi 1 and 2 on your list, which are must plays on the original Xbox, but like if you truly don't want to play any other games than those just buy an Xbox One.

Edit: Because Gunvalkaryie is loving terrible

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

I don't see Otogi 1 and 2 on your list, which are must plays on the original Xbox.

They come across to me as "wannabe Shinobi (PS2)".

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I remember right it's that but also fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Have you played them? They feel like what Shinobi wishes it was; destructible environments, dreamscapes, agressively-air-borne combat and actually fun to play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Funny you should say that, Sega of Japan did a Twitter poll over the weekend asking which games people wanted to see ported to Switch and Jet Set Radio was #1.

If you're only playing $30 then sure, why the hell not, I just hope you have the space to keep it. Black's fantastic, Orta's great if you like that sort of game, JSRF is style over substance but not an awful game by any means, Gunvalkyrie will murder your hands ad TJ&E3 is cringeworthy to the extreme.

It should also be mentioned that they've started bringing OG XB games to XB1X and while I wouldn't recommend buying one just to play NGB and Orta in 4K, goddamn is it a nice experience. In doing so, they also managed to fix Orta on X360, which didn't work correctly for the entire time the X360 was active.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait a loving minute I just realized. You're looking at buying an Xbox and don't have Breakdown on your list of titles?

You don't deserve an Xbox.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish Phantom Crash didn't regularly..uhh..crash the 360 emulator.

I guess I should buy a new breakout lead for my Xbox controller and just play it there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Funny you should say that, Sega of Japan did a Twitter poll over the weekend asking which games people wanted to see ported to Switch and Jet Set Radio was #1.

If you're only playing $30 then sure, why the hell not, I just hope you have the space to keep it. Black's fantastic, Orta's great if you like that sort of game, JSRF is style over substance but not an awful game by any means, Gunvalkyrie will murder your hands ad TJ&E3 is cringeworthy to the extreme.

It should also be mentioned that they've started bringing OG XB games to XB1X and while I wouldn't recommend buying one just to play NGB and Orta in 4K, goddamn is it a nice experience. In doing so, they also managed to fix Orta on X360, which didn't work correctly for the entire time the X360 was active.

IIRC Gunvalkryie was suppose to use the Dreamcast controller and the lightgun controller at the same time? Seems to be begged to be on the Wii (Switch?).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish Phantom Crash didn't regularly..uhh..crash the 360 emulator.

I guess I should buy a new breakout lead for my Xbox controller and just play it there.

Wait, I'm not the only person on earth who played Phantom Crash?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Wait, I'm not the only person on earth who played Phantom Crash?

I played SLAI, too! Though it's not as good imho.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the responses.

So, I want an Xbox solely for:

Ninja Gaiden Black
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Toe Jam & Earl 3
Gunvalkyrie

Are these titles worth the $30 investment for the console?

I literally don't want a single other game for the console.

I'm familiar with its entire library, and almost everything is on PC but Sega games, because Sega only knows how to port Genesis titles to modern systems.

Does it maybe make more sense to play them on a 360 via BC? Assuming there is more on 360 you want to play.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Jet Set Radio Future is IMO the main thing worth picking up the machine for that you can't find elsewhere. I know Ninja Gaiden Black and PDO are on XB1 and they are both massive upgrades in every way over playing them on the OG Xbox.

If I had one again I would probably jump on Dead or Alive 3 and 2 Ultimate, because iirc those aren't available anywhere else and I had a lot of fun with each.

Zoph fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 24, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Toe Jam & Earl 3 any good?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That depends, can you make it to the end of this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCQliQZEEM

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

punk rebel ecks posted:

nope

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

White people wrote this game huh?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
More FPGA goodness on the way:

https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1044102518974959616

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not only are the cutscenes bad the gameplay is terrible too. I also for some reason remember voice clips looping constantly

kirbysuperstar posted:

I played SLAI, too! Though it's not as good imho.

I still dont understand what happened there. Not that the sequel is bad, but that someone bought the license and switched the platform and name and was like, yeah, this is smart.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is Spiderman 2 available on any system after the Xbox? I always throw that in the Xbox before playing anything else just to swing around the city a bit.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

RodShaft posted:

Is Spiderman 2 available on any system after the Xbox? I always throw that in the Xbox before playing anything else just to swing around the city a bit.

I can’t go back now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

welp, made it two minutes and 43 seconds. yikes

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RodShaft posted:

There's a Gamecube version that's emulated on Dolphin pretty well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best Spider-Man game is still Ultimate in my opinion

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

drrockso20 posted:

Best Spider-Man game is still Marvel vs Capcom 2 in my opinion

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had the first spiderman movie game on gamecube and it was cool as hell getting to play through the campaign as the green goblin after beating it. Maybe a good game? Maybe I was just twelve years old?? Who knows

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Best Spider-Man game is still Ultimate in my opinion

Play the new PS4 game. It's so gooood.

Wait does that mean Orta now works on actual X360's as well as XB1's? :stare:

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Two weeks ago I went to A&C Games in Toronto and bought a copy of Aerobiz on SNES for $45 CAD, cart only. They had a boxed copy of Aerobiz Supersonic, which is the game I really wanted, but they were asking for $150 CAD for a boxed copy, which was way out of my range. While I was there I also picked up Phantom 2040 for $15 and Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB for $10

This weekend I went to St. Jacobs, picked up a copy of Aerobiz Supersonic for $32.50, cart only. The cartridge is a little gross-looking, but the battery's still working. Also got Prince of Persia for $17.50. It's been a real :retrogames: month, but gently caress it it was my birthday recently.

Now excuse me while I watch Biff's cartridge cleaning videos during work hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFayf8iw58

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Super NTs should be shipping soon, right? I haven't been able to find any details or updates on that from their website or social media pages. Should I temper my expectations for on-time shipping? It still says end-of-September on their storefront but I haven't found any corroborating information.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Big Word posted:

I had the first spiderman movie game on gamecube and it was cool as hell getting to play through the campaign as the green goblin after beating it. Maybe a good game? Maybe I was just twelve years old?? Who knows

Naw, it's good. People were surprised it was a movie license game that was actually good. The biggest problem with it is Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man blow it out of the water by being the perfect Spider-Man games.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Does anyone have any experience with third-party Wireless Gamecube controllers (like this)? I'm starting on the mission of rebuilding my old and forsaken Gamecube collection after like a decade of attrition to time. My living room set-up isn't ideal for normal wired controllers but I don't want to spend $30.00 each for genuine Wavebirds. The reviews are overall good but somewhat mixed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait does that mean Orta now works on actual X360's as well as XB1's? :stare:

No, because the Xbox One does an extremely different and way better method of running original Xbox games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Karasu Tengu posted:

No, because the Xbox One does an extremely different and way better method of running original Xbox games.

It does, actually. Orta has been fully playable on X360 since April.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see some retro gaming streamer get four people together and do a maximum length game of Mario Party. The original.

With four of these plugged in:

And then analyze the wreckage.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I want to see some retro gaming streamer get four people together and do a maximum length game of Mario Party. The original.

With four of these plugged in:

And then analyze the wreckage.
I had a green one of those. It wasn't great.

I realize now that I'm trying to rebuild my old game collection that I never once ever had 4 identical, standard controllers. It was always a mishmash of official and random third-parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Holy poo poo! Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toiysusen has exploded in price over the past few months. It's doubled!