Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Oscar Wild posted:

I'd like to sign up only to stop paying after 3 months. Good luck calling support to get my rear end removed.

"Hello, Nintend? This is Mr burns. I have someone on my family account that I would like removed. No, they are not my family, they owe me :10bux:"

It's billed annually, not monthly. The only thing dumber than setting up a family plan with goons to save $16/year would be joining a goon family plan and not paying to try to cheat someone out of $4/year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

repiv posted:

These are the first officially licensed wireless controllers, right? I'm pretty sure it's all been "licensed but wired" or "wireless but unofficially pretends to be a Pro Controller" up to now.

Even if those controllers end up being bad it's good to know Nintendo has finally opened up to third parties making wireless peripherals.

I saw on some blog post that PowerA are also making wireless Gamecube style controllers, though details are scarce. I don't need another controller (2x Joycon pairs, Pro controller, and an 8BitDo SF30 Pro) but I'm probably gonna do that up anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

creationist believer posted:

It's billed annually, not monthly. The only thing dumber than setting up a family plan with goons to save $16/year would be joining a goon family plan and not paying to try to cheat someone out of $4/year.

Even more dumb, by being on a family plan and not the owner they owner can lock you out of your account and limit your play time since you are their "child", since that's how it's setup. Nintendo is extremely petty about this poo poo, I'd see them just ban everyone's account (losing all purchased titles) if you attempted to dispute a family account that wasn't an actual family. Nintendo has never done anything right with online.

I'm still shocked they didn't require you to active the accounts on the same device effectively making it in person only or you have to give your password out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oscar Wild posted:

I'd like to sign up only to stop paying after 3 months. Good luck calling support to get my rear end removed.

"Hello, Nintend? This is Mr burns. I have someone on my family account that I would like removed. No, they are not my family, they owe me :10bux:"

That's not how it works. First its annual, the £4 is for the whole year and secondly I can kick anyone off without contacting Nintendo.
I got a family plan for myself and 2 other people so Ive already saved money over an individual plan, I'm offering the other slots to people cos otherwise they would just go to waste :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I paid $20 to play ice hockey.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I cashed in a months worth of change at the coinstar and got enough to pay for the online with another $5 left over. :shrug:

content
Feb 13, 2014

Not relevant, but made me giggle

https://twitter.com/FizzySodaWave/status/1043662918036987904

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

creationist believer posted:

The people that are so drat cheap to only want to pay $4 instead of $20 can't fathom paying $20 to somebody and not worrying about online for the next 5 years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hammer Bro. posted:

I should get off my butt and add online multiplayer and a few other :effort: features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8poxju6osAg

Constant uncalled traveling violations, just like the real NBA! :neckbeard:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guys, $2000 will Buy you an entire century of Nintendo switch online. 100 loving years.

Stop panicking over $4 family plan fees

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s loving cruel I can’t play Dark Souls right now.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s loving cruel I can’t play Dark Souls right now.

You can though

On like 5 platforms

content
Feb 13, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Guys, $2000 will Buy you an entire century of Nintendo switch online. 100 loving years.

I already plan on spending 9k on avocado toast over the next century so there is no room in my budget.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not a Children posted:

You can though

On like 5 platforms

*looks at the 4 copies of DS, 3 copies of DS2, copies of DS3 and Bloodborne sitting on a shelf collecting dust*

It’s just loving bullshit. All I want is to play Dark Souls and Nintendo is loving ruining life making me wait all this to,e.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I've always wanted to try bloodborne but tbh the dark souls combat is really not for me, a person who has the reaction time of a sloth

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mandatory lesbian posted:

I've always wanted to try bloodborne but tbh the dark souls combat is really not for me, a person who has the reaction time of a sloth

And Bloodborne is faster than DS.
No greatshield camping for you, Hunter!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I wouldn't say they are about reaction time at all, it's about learning attack animations. The combat is actually very slow, the people that complain that Dark Souls is too hard try playing it as a game that you need ultra fast reflexes for.

Dark Souls is pretty close to Monster Hunter in terms if needing to prepare and know how all your attack animations work.

DS is faster than Mon Hun, but it's not as fast as most games (and most games give you a massive health bar because you are expected to get hit).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark Souls is basically Monster Hunter If MH had good combat.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Dark Souls is basically Monster Hunter if Monster Hunter had bad combat

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

American McGay posted:

Not gonna lie, the version of NBA Jam that came out 8 years ago or whatever on XBL Arcade and mobile phones was freaking exceptional and an extremely fun 4 player party game. I'd imagine a new version is never coming out because of stupid licensing poo poo but drat if it wouldn't be perfect for the Switch.

I think this one was on the Wii and it whipped rear end. It had really fun waggle controls too. You flicked the controller up to jump/start a shot and flicked it down to shoot. Dunks felt great.

That game that looks almost like nba jam in switch completely sucks rear end.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yea everyone just needs to bootstrap themselves up by picking up loose change around their house.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I also tried the Dark Souls network test and I didn't like that either. I wandered around lost, killed a couple zombies, went the other way and got owned by a giant armored boar. Then I climbed some stairs and got ganked by a giant armored knight. The controls are clunky and moving around makes you feel like your character is underwater.

This was 100% my experience.

Will see how I feel about it later, because people make it sound pretty cool and I feel like I'd be interested if it didn't feel like such a hill to get good at. Other tough games definitely ease you into it much better.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dark Souls is basically Monster Hunter If MH had good combat.

You can stop posting now.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Dark Souls is basically Monster Hunter if Monster Hunter had bad combat

Please continue posting.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

GC Animal Crossing it was quiet clear the villagers thought you were a dweeb chump to take advantage of. Like the whole “I’m taking all your money without your consent here’s some trash, rear end in a top hat” pretty much cements that

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

GC Animal Crossing it was quiet clear the villagers thought you were a dweeb chump to take advantage of. Like the whole “I’m taking all your money without your consent here’s some trash, rear end in a top hat” pretty much cements that

Bringing back memories of immediately depositing all my money in the bank and furniture in my house when I realized those thieving assholes could just snatch whatever they wanted

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bloodborne actually has good control and combat, unlike Dark Souls, which is like mixing concrete with a wooden spoon slow.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This was 100% my experience.

Will see how I feel about it later, because people make it sound pretty cool and I feel like I'd be interested if it didn't feel like such a hill to get good at. Other tough games definitely ease you into it much better.
That's because it's not the point of the network test. This isn't the start of the game, you're just plonked into the middle of it to test the network (hence the name.)

As much as people joke about it, the actual game does have a tutorial and ease you into how the game is played :) The big thing about the Souls games is to not expect them to play like modern action games. You aren't zipping around and button-mashing, it's all very slow and deliberate and relies on hitboxes and animation timing. It takes a different mindset, and it greatly rewards patience and paying attention. It's not for everyone but really wonderful if you get into it :3:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

As much as I absolutely adored the charm of New Leaf, I was legitimately shocked the first time I met Resetti and he was all HEY MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yea dark souls is all about patience and being on with dying over and over until you are able to learn from your mistakes, seeing what you did wrong and then not doing that again.

It also punishes complacency so don’t let it catch you slipping.

It’s not for everyone. If you hate doing the same parts of a level over and over then avoid the souls games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I couldn't go back to Dark Souls combat after gorging myself on MHGU for the past four weeks. DS used to be my standard for preferred action RPG gameplay, but I'm pretty sure MH has shoved it aside. Now if only MH could have environments like those in Dark Souls. Would be perfect. Is that what MH World is?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Overbite posted:

It’s not for everyone. If you hate doing the same parts of a level over and over then avoid the souls games.

this was primarily why I stopped playing Bloodborne, I just hated how far away checkpoints were if I wanted to take a break or have a go at a boss that killed me. Going all the way back and doing the same encounters in the same exact places bored me to tears. BB though had much faster combat and less enemy tracking so it's still very good. Sekiro looks even more aggressive and has some great vertical movement.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Both Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are good.

enojy posted:

As much as I absolutely adored the charm of New Leaf, I was legitimately shocked the first time I met Resetti and he was all HEY MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!

He’s not even that bad in New Leaf and you need to have his reset center built before he can even show up.

I miss the more dickishness in the original Animal Crossing.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 24, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wildtortilla posted:

Now if only MH could have environments like those in Dark Souls. Would be perfect. Is that what MH World is?

Mind being more specific? World does away with the maps having loading zones between each area but i'm not sure that's what you're referring to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dark souls and MH combat are not very similar imo

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrast posted:

Deliberate animation, based around stamina combat is nothing alike?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Deliberate animation, based around stamina combat is nothing alike?

I didn't say they are absolutely nothing alike. There are similarities but they are pretty surface level imo. The actual gameplay has a totally different feel.

(also MH combat isn't very stamina limited for most weapons)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

They are similar in that they are both bad

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To anyone who is judging Dark Souls movement and combat based on the network test, make sure you aren't picking a super heavy loadout to start with (like Black Knight) because it'll attack super slow and, more importantly, when you dodge you'll just kind of fall on the ground awkwardly instead of actually dodging. The network test is a lot like the MonHun demos: it drops you in midgame with a preset loadout and is designed for people who already know what they are doing. It's not a good intro to the game.

And Monster Hunter is only superficially similar, but the actual battle tactics are worlds apart. The odds are a lot more skewed in Monster Hunter where you need to carefully prepare for battle by studying the weak points of the enemies, equipping specific loadouts, preparing consumables, traps, etc. It really is about conquering the odds. Souls encounters are a lot more homogeneous and you can get away with pretty much anything once you learn the attack animations. I would say Monster Hunter is way harder than Dark Souls, and it's even worse on the lost progress front, since you can easily spend 45 minutes on a hunt, get wiped out, and have nothing to show for it whatsoever.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Dark souls and zelda both have parrying, as well as weapon degradation, so zelda is basically bloodbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So what your saying is both videogames are jobs

• Locked thread