Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Omi no Kami posted:

Dumb NGU question: the completion bonus for the magitech set includes 3 Magic Bars, and "1 Magic Bar Bars". Is that a typo, or are bars and bar bars mechanically distinct things?

Don't feel stupid. I asked pretty much the same exact question:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In NGU idle, I got +1 energy bar bar from the daily spin, and I'm not sure whether it registered or not. I usually keep my stats at round numbers when it's convenient, and it's still at 200 base bars.

Does it factor into the calculations in a way I'm not expecting it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

The Huge Manatee posted:

I think factory idle type games could be improved by forcing you to buy off brand parts such that the inputs and outputs vary in direction and quantity, like the old pipe placement puzzle games.

No googleable solutions, you've just gotta use your head and make the most of what you get dealt.

Big Pharma does a good job of this. The machines are standard, but the raw materials are randomized each game (for example, "cures insomnia" and "causes nightmares" might start out on the same ingredient). So you have to intelligently apply the same machines to different inputs in each region. Big Pharma uses it for "replayability" so that you can get a different experience from each 30-minute game. But the same idea could apply to a long-format game by having you periodically unlock new regions. Or is that too lootboxy?

Structure has an interesting take on adjacency puzzles. Around level 30 you unlock the ability to create your own world out of nodes with various rules about how close they can be to other nodes. Since it's not a strict grid, the solutions are less googleable. This could be really fun for setting up factory supply chains.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m having nightmares of a Spacechem idle now

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

If we're still throwing out ideas for somethingg's new game, I really liked the graphics in the Cookie Clicker reboot (a long time ago) and there hasn't really been any idle game that matched that much pretty. The Realm Grinder reboot kinda did, but it wasn't as smooth.

Apart from that, ITRTG and NGU are too complex/mathy for me.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

gently caress ME I just moved back to the first town in Artist Idle when I was at 24k fame. Everything lost. Screw this game, I quit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Merijn posted:

gently caress ME I just moved back to the first town in Artist Idle when I was at 24k fame. Everything lost. Screw this game, I quit.

Note to idle game developers: Try to avoid trap options. I think one of the biggest things to manage is making sure that players don't feel regret over choices. If someone is looking at invoking some mechanic, you don't want them realizing after the fact that they really screwed up. Like if you have a prestige option that gives a variable number of points based on progress, don't make the cheapest option 100 points and let someone prestige at 1 point. Make the cheapest option 1 point and make it good enough on its own to justify a prestige.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Note to idle game developers: Try to avoid trap options. I think one of the biggest things to manage is making sure that players don't feel regret over choices. If someone is looking at invoking some mechanic, you don't want them realizing after the fact that they really screwed up. Like if you have a prestige option that gives a variable number of points based on progress, don't make the cheapest option 100 points and let someone prestige at 1 point. Make the cheapest option 1 point and make it good enough on its own to justify a prestige.

gently caress this, make every prestige a Choose Your Own Adventure full of traps that can cause a hard reset. I want hardcore ironman idle gaming.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Goon Danton posted:

gently caress this, make every prestige a Choose Your Own Adventure full of traps that can cause a hard reset. I want hardcore ironman idle gaming.

X-Com Idle

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Goon Danton posted:

Server-side saves and heavily RNG based prestige mechanics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goon Danton posted:

Something like this would need to be winnable in roughly a month or two (or less) if you follow a guide. Anything with real staying power you don't want gently caress ups. If you are going to spend a year plus you don't want to go backwards.

Something with wrong turns and staying power would end up being that you could mess a prestige up so bad you have to abandon it. You just don't want a player losing all their progress if they go on vacation. Worse you also end up souring any returning players because they lost progress. Stop playing because you cleared the content? Cool new patch? Well you get to start all over again because gently caress you.

I feel that MMO-4X game with quarterly resets is going to be similar to a long term idle game with wrong turns if that ever comes out.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Merijn posted:

I JUST DID THE SAME THING. I also quit.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Anyone know of a decent mobile compatible idle game that doesn't rely on a prestige element for progression?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pixaal posted:

Something like this would need to be winnable in roughly a month or two (or less) if you follow a guide. Anything with real staying power you don't want gently caress ups. If you are going to spend a year plus you don't want to go backwards.

That old xkcd idle game sounds kinda like what we're discussing; each stage is built around paradigm shifts that often invalidate prior setups, but it's made to be super-easy to reset so a bad fuckup never (as far as I recall) kills your game, just your current run.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Omi no Kami posted:

That old xkcd idle game sounds kinda like what we're discussing; each stage is built around paradigm shifts that often invalidate prior setups, but it's made to be super-easy to reset so a bad fuckup never (as far as I recall) kills your game, just your current run.

You could in theory gently caress up a reset in that game, but honestly the part of the game where you do resets is very short and technically optical now

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm in the late Vacuum/early Dragon stage and I never touched the reset mechanic. Some stuff was a definite slog, like getting to Aleph One, but past this point I don't think the reset prizes really matter.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I've tried flinging myself at that game multiple times and hooo boy is it resistant to understanding. I get that's part of the charm and all...but drat son.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Safeword posted:

Anyone know of a decent mobile compatible idle game that doesn't rely on a prestige element for progression?

Endless Battle has no real prestige elements.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Nibble posted:

I'm in the late Vacuum/early Dragon stage and I never touched the reset mechanic. Some stuff was a definite slog, like getting to Aleph One, but past this point I don't think the reset prizes really matter.

I'm stuck in the post glass pre everything else stage and I just don't tab over enough for logicats enough to progress despite being on NP like 3500 lol. Haven't hosed with dragons though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I feel like I'm stagnating a bit in NGU: I have around 2k power/toughness, so I can beat GRB without advanced training but I'm nowhere near being able to beat the tree or the clockwork place, and advanced exoskeleton is so expensive that it's easier to just pour all my augment time into scissors. With GRB's boost to time machine I can grind enough money to danger scissor myself up to around boss 76-80, but it feels like there's no point advancing bosses if I'm unable to beat my current highest titan + adventure area. Do I need to just start grinding one-hour rebirths to farm GRB's gear, and use those bonuses to survive the clockwork area?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Omi no Kami posted:

I feel like I'm stagnating a bit in NGU: I have around 2k power/toughness, so I can beat GRB without advanced training but I'm nowhere near being able to beat the tree or the clockwork place, and advanced exoskeleton is so expensive that it's easier to just pour all my augment time into scissors. With GRB's boost to time machine I can grind enough money to danger scissor myself up to around boss 76-80, but it feels like there's no point advancing bosses if I'm unable to beat my current highest titan + adventure area. Do I need to just start grinding one-hour rebirths to farm GRB's gear, and use those bonuses to survive the clockwork area?

No. Autokill for Gordon is 3000/2500 and better than grinding one hour rebirths for gear, though gear + exp is another matter. Manual for the next area, clockwork is 3250, 2250 recommended. Aim for that, with Gordon just being a bonus. IIRC, the sausage that Gordon drops boosts your power and toughness with the quickest turn around compared to the armor. That can be a short term bump till you can phase in something high enough level to surpass Magitech. If you can’t stand to do another long session of advanced training and waiting on drops, look at the first time completion bonuses of the challenges available or almost unlocked. A 10% adventure stat boost is one of the easier benefits IIRC.

Either way, when you go overnight, setup the game to run some NGU+ from that Number(42?) drop. Since everything is multiplicative it’s worthwhile even if it is too slow to up during a normal run.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LordSloth posted:

No. Autokill for Gordon is 3000/2500 and better than grinding one hour rebirths for gear, though gear + exp is another matter. Manual for the next area, clockwork is 3250, 2250 recommended. Aim for that, with Gordon just being a bonus. IIRC, the sausage that Gordon drops boosts your power and toughness with the quickest turn around compared to the armor. That can be a short term bump till you can phase in something high enough level to surpass Magitech. If you can’t stand to do another long session of advanced training and waiting on drops, look at the first time completion bonuses of the challenges available or almost unlocked. A 10% adventure stat boost is one of the easier benefits IIRC.

Either way, when you go overnight, setup the game to run some NGU+ from that Number(42?) drop. Since everything is multiplicative it’s worthwhile even if it is too slow to up during a normal run.

Hmmkay, thanks... I haven't tried overnighting adv. training for a while or *ever* touched NGU/wandoos, so that should hopefully help a lot. ^^

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I JUST DID THE SAME THING. I also quit.

I'm kinda sad about it though. :( I really wanted to see the prestige thing with muses and musical notes.

But seeing this is the 4th time I lost all my progress.... gently caress it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Falcon2001 posted:

I've tried flinging myself at that game multiple times and hooo boy is it resistant to understanding. I get that's part of the charm and all...but drat son.

Yeah, I've never gotten particularly far or really found myself caring much about Sandcastle Builder because it's such an impenetrable mess. I tried a few times but ultimately just wrote it off as Not For Me.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Merijn posted:

I'm kinda sad about it though. :( I really wanted to see the prestige thing with muses and musical notes.

TBH I kind of wish that would happen to me it have been interesting really at all but I'm an idiot

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Eldercain posted:

I'm stuck in the post glass pre everything else stage and I just don't tab over enough for logicats enough to progress despite being on NP like 3500 lol. Haven't hosed with dragons though.

I'm willing to admit that I used the automation script for a few things. Logicat solving was fun for a while, but it gets to a point where you fill up on available puzzles every 2 seconds and need to do hundreds if not thousands of them to progress. Mustard was another, it's literally just "spam click the picture thousands of times" which is neither fun nor interesting.

Merijn posted:

Muses are neat but ultimately feel pretty disappointing, so don't feel like you're missing out on too much.

Muse effects:
+x% to picture base cost: The best one by far, though it still does nothing to help with the first picture after every reset
+x% inspiration from vacations: Seems pretty useless
+x% to student hiring speed: Seems good, but isn't relevant until after the 6-visa slog which is the majority of the run
+x% to fame from pictures sold: The base is 10 fame per picture, so unless this is an insane multiplier this seems laughably bad
+x% to max fame in cities: Seems totally useless
+x% to clone tool power: Definitely totally useless

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, think I'm done with Artist Idle now. Got to the bit where I could have a successor, ended up with ridiculous amounts of money, that's enough for now

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm free~

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Merijn posted:

Eldercain posted:

TBH I kind of wish that would happen to me it have been interesting really at all but I'm an idiot

I unlocked it and put the game away for a beak. It's been building up notes while the tab was closed but otherwise this save is where you'd start after hitting the successor button:

https://pastebin.com/dTW4kjVE

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

I'm free~

untilevildifficultycough

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

SwarmSim: Is the game buggy for anyone else in late-game? It's happened to me two times now that it craps out somehow and doesn't grant me enough progress. The first time one of the meat producers refused to grow enough, staying ~30 orders of magnitude below what it should be. The second time I got so little mutagen (~e85 instead of at least e120) that I had literally no progress over the previous ascension.

It's still fun to keep in a background window until I have all the achievements done, but still. :confused:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I may be years late to the party, but is Sandcastle Whatever just deliberately hella slow and opaque? I mean, my sand and castles keep creeping up slowly, but I don't have any upgrades to buy and it's kinda just a slog +1ing my stuff round-robin.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

I may be years late to the party, but is Sandcastle Whatever just deliberately hella slow and opaque? I mean, my sand and castles keep creeping up slowly, but I don't have any upgrades to buy and it's kinda just a slog +1ing my stuff round-robin.

It's a very early idle game. Yes it's very slow and unless you are a super XKCD fan and follow you really want to have a guide you can use to glance what you are supposed to do next if you get stuck because it's not always obvious. I haven't played in 4 years or so but I remember glass ceilings being very :wtc:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pixaal posted:

It's a very early idle game. Yes it's very slow and unless you are a super XKCD fan and follow you really want to have a guide you can use to glance what you are supposed to do next if you get stuck because it's not always obvious. I haven't played in 4 years or so but I remember glass ceilings being very :wtc:

v0v I'm at this spot below, and I think that means I'm making ~10-12 castles/min, and I've got nothing left in the shop to buy. If you 100% need a guide to progress, I'll just kick this now, because I've already played Realm Grinder.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's absolutely a game that needs a guide. Part of the fun of it is that the goals you're working towards change all the time, but what makes it inscrutable is that it's not communicated at all what the next goal you should be working towards is.

I wouldn't say it's quite as bad as Realm Grinder where you can look up completely optimal builds for any stage of the game, but it's really helpful to read things like "you should prioritize upgrading X because it leads to important upgrade Y/it will eventually obsolete this other mechanic/it takes a long time to get going and should be started now".

Also yes, the game is incredibly slow paced at times, including the start. I don't think there's any special strategy for early on besides patience, and eventually once you get to like 50 of a tool you'll start seeing other boosts unlock. Eventually though you'll want to work towards boosts that give huge multipliers to your production, but there's no in-game hinting towards them that I know of.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 27, 2018

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Toshimo posted:

v0v I'm at this spot below, and I think that means I'm making ~10-12 castles/min, and I've got nothing left in the shop to buy. If you 100% need a guide to progress, I'll just kick this now, because I've already played Realm Grinder.

The archived op for it here was a thread I made and the guide on the wiki is the one I made, but essentially the game is very slow, lots of paradigm shifts, and unfortunately rife with periods you want to be pretty active during

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
A big thing with sandcastle builder is that unlike other idlers where stuff happens every second (or tick, which can be shortened usually) the "tick" in sandcastle builder happens ever 10 minutes. The so called ONG. A lot of stuff happens every 10 minutes with very little stuff going on between. Later on the ONG increases to 20 minutes but at that stage you have a lot more buttons to press.

I used the beachball addon to automate tedious parts of the game and still felt i got enough gameplay out of it to be worthwhile to play. Essentially beachball removes most of the absurd grognard tedium like having to manually solve logicat puzzles but still leaves some decision making to the player.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I tried Sandcastle a bit last night and today I opened it and apparently the game does not autosave? I didn't get very far so I'll try again tomorrow but still

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sandcastle Builder is interesting historically and did some somewhat neat things but as a game it's pretty rough to get into and hasn't aged well. I think even with Beachball I only ever made it just past glass ceilings before moving on to something else. Mine Defense, though, that's a game I could play again.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Samuringa posted:

I tried Sandcastle a bit last night and today I opened it and apparently the game does not autosave? I didn't get very far so I'll try again tomorrow but still

I forgot about this one. Yeah you have to manually save and load a bunch of times to unlock autosave. That's a dumb decision for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
My favorite part about Sandcastle Builder is it isnt even based on the comic, its based on a forum thread discussing the comic.

What a narrow audience.