Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lambert posted:

Chrome's new design is super ugly. Feels like I've accidentally opened up an old version of Firefox.

Yep, same here. :sigh:

Any idea on if there's a way to change it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to create thinner tabs?

They look too tall in the new design and I'd prefer to have shorter tabs.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm in the B group of the A/B test that didn't get the new tabs (or they haven't pushed it to the beta branch, which would be weird).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Changes I didn't ask for: " Chrome for iOS is getting a significant overhaul as Google is moving the toolbar to the bottom to make it easier to reach items in the browser." It isn't as if I use bookmarklets, or anything.

Montalvo, I'm on the beta branch on Macs, and I'm not seeing it either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

New Chrome design is super nice looking.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The new design no longer displays the name of the profile you're currently on, which is such a critical feature for me that I have to enable the old one even though I like everything else about the new one better.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

New Chrome design is super nice looking.

This opinion is baffling to me. Edge and Firefox are super nice looking, this seems more like some kind of throwback.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It displays the profile icon though - can't you just set that for one or other of your profiles?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

dissss posted:

It displays the profile icon though - can't you just set that for one or other of your profiles?

There's a limited number of them and they're not recognizable enough

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

This opinion is baffling to me. Edge and Firefox are super nice looking, this seems more like some kind of throwback.

Wow I just got the update and have to agree, this is pretty aggressively bad. Feels like I opened Flock or some other poo poo browser fork that launched and died in the mid-aughts

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

Wow I just got the update and have to agree, this is pretty aggressively bad. Feels like I opened Flock or some other poo poo browser fork that launched and died in the mid-aughts

Is this a staggered rollout? I haven't seen anything all day. Not that I'm in a hurry.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The new design is virtually indistinguishable from the old one, just with rounded edges on things and a moved profile button. I can't comprehend what merits a strong opinion about the change one way or another.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Is this a staggered rollout? I haven't seen anything all day. Not that I'm in a hurry.

Go to help > About Chrome and it'll probably update. I wasn't getting it either at first.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The part that I notice the most is the tab shape + the active / inactive tabs differentiation.

While it is true that I notice my active tab more easily, all the others float away into nothingness more, for me. I don’t like that. I want to kinda sorta be able to tell: “oh yeah, that other tab is right there” so I can click on it easily.

But yeah otherwise it’s fine. Small details seem so enormous when you explain them like that.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The new design is virtually indistinguishable from the old one, just with rounded edges on things and a moved profile button. I can't comprehend what merits a strong opinion about the change one way or another.
I don't know about other platforms, but on Win10 it now uses your main theme color to style the tab bar. This means my tabs look like this:

which is loving ugly.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to export Chrome cookies to Firefox?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't know about other platforms, but on Win10 it now uses your main theme color to style the tab bar. This means my tabs look like this:

which is loving ugly.
It's done that for a while now. I had to use a neutral theme to not get searing orange as my tab color.

E: And, actually it's not doing that to me right now. I wonder if this is a flag or setting I've triggered at some point?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Amppelix posted:

E: And, actually it's not doing that to me right now. I wonder if this is a flag or setting I've triggered at some point?

There's a setting in Windows to not apply the accent color to title bars. Chrome won't use if if you have that setting set. It also won't apply the accent color if you're using a Chrome Theme, since it'll use the theme colors instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

which is loving ugly.

If you set an ugly accent colour then yeah everything is going to look ugly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

biznatchio posted:

There's a setting in Windows to not apply the accent color to title bars. Chrome won't use if if you have that setting set. It also won't apply the accent color if you're using a Chrome Theme, since it'll use the theme colors instead.

So there is. I've definitely never touched this setting so either it didn't exist when I last looked at them, or it became automatically toggled off at some point.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

So there is. I've definitely never touched this setting so either it didn't exist when I last looked at them, or it became automatically toggled off at some point.

I believe it defaults to off.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

For some reason my most visited tabs on the chrome homepage don’t exist anymore.

Not on my MacBook at home or my windows 7 at work.

Anyone else having this problem?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

For some reason my most visited tabs on the chrome homepage don’t exist anymore.

Not on my MacBook at home or my windows 7 at work.

Anyone else having this problem?

Virtually everyone is, yesterday's Chrome update hosed it. Google is aware of the bug reports and are looking into it.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=881803

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, mine still work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chrome's autofill started overriding my password vault (1Password). This was annoying. I had autofill turned off, but it still insisted on using all autofills it already had access to. Bah. Exported and deleted.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Recently Chrome started freezing for a few seconds after it downloads a file or uses a file selection prompt. It doesn't seem to be some kind of hard drive issue because Firefox doesn't have any problems with either action. Has this happened for anyone else?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Recently Chrome started freezing for a few seconds after it downloads a file or uses a file selection prompt. It doesn't seem to be some kind of hard drive issue because Firefox doesn't have any problems with either action. Has this happened for anyone else?

It happens to me too, I wasn't sure if it was my lovely PC or Windows 10 or what but I guess it has to be the latest Chrome since it's gotten pretty bad after the update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Watch your task manager while it's doing it. Probably your virus scanner. I've always had that happen in Chrome and it's always been my virus scanner.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I used to have an extension on Chrome that let me click and directly remove unwanted images from websites. I can't find anything that does that now. I can manually use inspect and do it but that's a hassle. I feel like I could learn to make simple extension to do this.

How difficult is it to make an extension on chrome? I took a class once about HTML so I'm not completely blind. I want to imagine I could do this in a few hours.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

DropsySufferer posted:

I used to have an extension on Chrome that let me click and directly remove unwanted images from websites. I can't find anything that does that now. I can manually use inspect and do it but that's a hassle. I feel like I could learn to make simple extension to do this.

How difficult is it to make an extension on chrome? I took a class once about HTML so I'm not completely blind. I want to imagine I could do this in a few hours.

Ublock Origin does that

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Thanks, much easier to use something that already exists.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just got the new Chrome design and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, my eyes.

I tried downloading a few of the most popular dark themes (which I didn't have before, but I do like the ones I have for Firefox and Edge), but I didn't like them on Chrome. Anyone have neutral (or neutral-ish) Chrome themes they could recommend?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

I tried downloading a few of the most popular dark themes (which I didn't have before, but I do like the ones I have for Firefox and Edge), but I didn't like them on Chrome. Anyone have neutral (or neutral-ish) Chrome themes they could recommend?

I'm using this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-incognito-dark-t/ahifcnpnjgbadkjdhagpfjfkmlapfoel

It's the Incognito mode theme for regular browsing (minus the URL bar, because that one can't be themed)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

surf rock posted:

Zen Spring is neutral-ish and very soothing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks for the recommendations, although neither jump out at me. I'm pretty inclined toward Clean Blue Theme, but there's some kind of visual glitch where the theme doesn't fully extend through the bookmarks bar, unfortunately.

I have a different and probably more important Chrome question to ask. Since the update, if I open a bunch of new tabs, they don't actually start loading until I click on them. That's super annoying and I feel like there must be some kind of setting I could change so that tabs can load even if they're not the current tab. Anyone know if that's true?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

I'm pretty inclined toward Clean Blue Theme

There's the Material Classic Blue Theme if you're interested in the old-school Chrome look.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-classic-blue-the/odbiochpladnknjeddpnheigjgdaehab

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Chrome version 69 will auto-login to the browser when you login to google services (and logout when you logout as well)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/17895536/google-chrome-69-log-in-sync-password-user-data-privacy

quote:

But with Chrome 69, the latest version of the browser, whenever someone logs in to a Google service like Gmail or YouTube, they are now automatically logged in to Chrome as well.

Personally, not a fan as I never log in to chrome. If people were forgetting to log out completely on shared devices, that's their problem. At least make it an opt-in instead of forcing the log in by default for everyone.

Flag to disable is here:
chrome://flags/#account-consistency

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Brutakas posted:

Chrome version 69 will auto-login to the browser when you login to google services (and logout when you logout as well)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/17895536/google-chrome-69-log-in-sync-password-user-data-privacy

Personally, not a fan as I never log in to chrome. If people were forgetting to log out completely on shared devices, that's their problem. At least make it an opt-in instead of forcing the log in by default for everyone.

Flag to disable is here:
chrome://flags/#account-consistency

I only use Chrome for a handful of sites, but I'm going to have to rethink even that if they continue with these dark patterns.

I've read that even disabling that flag doesn't prevent some browser image from being set to your google account's; has that been your experience?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

quote:

Chrome version 69

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

astral posted:

I only use Chrome for a handful of sites, but I'm going to have to rethink even that if they continue with these dark patterns.

I've read that even disabling that flag doesn't prevent some browser image from being set to your google account's; has that been your experience?

Google already has your browser history and information when you use their browser. Same for Mozilla, Apple, and Microsoft.

This isn't new.

This is only an inconvenience if you use a shared device. Otherwise this will not affect you.