Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
just get an iwatani chefs torch they are Fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

but enough about your goofed up genes!!

n-noooooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol if u don't already have an oxyacetylene rig you just haul into the kitchen whenever u need to sear things

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Lol if u don't already have an oxyacetylene rig you just haul into the kitchen whenever u need to sear things

reading you're posts is all the sere i need thx

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

steak knife? nice 1700s bullshit you’ve got there, gramps. every place setting at my table comes with a plasma cutter.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the russians used their teeth

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Achmed Jones posted:

the russians used their teeth

WHEN THE FIRST SOLDIER LOSES HIS TEETH THE SECOND SOLDIER PICKS UP THE STEAK

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol what the gently caress is this thing??? i don't trust some kitchen gadget sold on a 24 month financing plan

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bulgakov posted:

lol what the gently caress is this thing??? i don't trust some kitchen gadget sold on a 24 month financing plan

It's a cult.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gschmidl posted:

It's a cult.

thats what it looks like at first glance

would go great next to one of those idiot englishfolk ovens that are on 24/7/365 as a lifestyle, maybe??

I dunno

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bulgakov posted:

thats what it looks like at first glance

They basically want to come to your house and show you the thing, and only then spring the price on you so it's harder to say no.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

gschmidl posted:

They basically want to come to your house and show you the thing, and only then spring the price on you so it's harder to say no.

That's due to the company history tho. Vorwerk is mostly known for making vacuum cleaners that they sell to housewives on the doorstep.

And yes we have a word for it too

"Staubsaugervertreter"

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

President Beep posted:

but enough about your goofed up genes!!

hehehe

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Combat Theory posted:

That's due to the company history tho. Vorwerk is mostly known for making vacuum cleaners that they sell to housewives on the doorstep.

And yes we have a word for it too

"Staubsaugervertreter"

you can't say you have a word for a thing when your language is well known for inventing "new" words by simply concatenating a bunch of existing ones

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

redleader posted:

you can't say you have a word for a thing when your language is well known for inventing "new" words by simply concatenating a bunch of existing ones

looks like we got ourselves a neuwörterverzichter here lads

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

big scary monsters posted:

looks like we got ourselves a neuwörterverzichter here lads

Time for a Mitdemnassenfetzenumsgebäudewatschung.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FAUXTON posted:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SiriusXM is buying Pandora for $3.5 billion in an all stock deal

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-24/sirius-to-acquire-pandora-in-3-5-billion-online-radio-deal

quote:

Sirius to Acquire Pandora in $3.5 Billion Online Radio Deal

Billionaire John Malone’s Sirius XM Holdings Inc. is acquiring Pandora Media Inc. in a $3.5 billion all-stock deal, giving the satellite-radio operator an online-music service to better compete with Spotify Technology SA.

The combination will help Sirius XM expand beyond an audience that mainly listens to the satellite radio company’s programs while driving. Sirius XM bought a stake in Pandora last year for $480 million, giving the online-radio company a lifeline after upstarts such as Spotify began luring away streaming-music subscribers.

The all-stock deal values Pandora at $10.14 a share. It’s 12 percent more than the closing price on Friday, but way below levels of four years ago, before the stock tanked as competition from Spotify and Apple Music intensified. Matthew Thornton, an analyst at SunTrust Banks Inc., called the price “underwhelming,” and Pandora opened under $10 on Monday.

On a conference call with analysts, Pandora and Sirius XM offered little detail about how they will work together after the merger. Asked about his plan for the combined company, Sirius XM Chief Executive Officer Jim Meyer summarized it this way:

“There’s real money to be made by optimizing cross promotion across these platforms,” he said. “That’s, if you want to know, what my gut tells me, that’s where I see the biggest opportunity.”

Malone has been working to build a radio empire, complimenting the pay TV assets that helped him build his fortune. Sirius XM already has a 15 percent stake in Oakland, California-based Pandora. And Malone’s Liberty Media had also expressed interest in acquiring iHeart Media Inc., the U.S. radio broadcaster that filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

Pandora jumped 6.2 percent to $9.66 at 9:34 a.m. in New York. Sirius XM fell 3.4 percent to $6.74.

Sirius XM is buying a company that has recorded years of losses. Pandora’s shares fell for years in the face of competition from Spotify and other online services. The stock had begun to recover this year under a new CEO, gaining 89 percent through Friday’s close, after Pandora introduced new listening options and showed it could attract subscribers. At the close of the second quarter, the company had about 6 million paying customers.

Pandora has introduced its own on-demand music service and brought in former Sling TV Chief Executive Officer Roger Lynch a year ago to work on a turnaround.

Sirius XM and Pandora said the transaction is expected to be completed in the first quarter of next year. The deal allows Pandora to look around for better offers. If Pandora takes a superior proposal from another acquirer, the company would owe Sirius a $52.5 million breakup fee. If the deal fails for other reasons, the break-up fee is $105 million.

Allen & Co. and Bank of America Corp. advised Sirius XM, while Baker Botts LLP and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP provided legal advice. Centerview Partners LLC, LionTree Advisors LLC and Morgan Stanley advised Pandora, and Sidley Austin LLP was its legal counsel.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This show is amazing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

iospace posted:

Yup. Due to a multitude of factors, the whole "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" mindset is very strong in techlords. Mostly because a lot of the more recent billionaires happened to get to that point by tech, either via the dot-com boom or the computer boom. Now with the gig economy/big data boom, they're all looking to be the next Uber and will gladly hitch their wagon to whatever startup promises to "disrupt everything" and make it big.

this is from pages back but what's extra funny is that a lot of the guys that won big weren't the super-rockstar programmers or engineers, they were the biz guys. bill gates got way more mileage out of being a cutthroat than his ability to write or read code.

infernal machines posted:

buddy got rooked by like the oldest grift on earth. also he knew it happened to other people and just thought that this time it wasn't a scam

https://twitter.com/letsrebel1/status/1043547482125266944

lmao we've reached the craigslist "wire me money and i'll ship you the car" scam level already?! :tesla:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also the gently caress is this:

https://twitter.com/thecrazyjar/status/1043549415330463744

yes "delivery hell" definitely a thing successful car companies have

(alternately: "delivery hell man" could be a dece username)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

(alternately: "delivery hell man" could be a dece username)

post in the pregnancy thread with that name

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
    BORN TO PARK
 WORLD IS A DIRT LOT
  Charge Em All 2018
 I am a delivery hell man
410,787,864,530 DEAD TESLAS

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol I got to the part in the cars book I’m reading where some ex-ford guys end up at Chrysler and discover the absurd amount of money Chrysler had tied up in finished but not sold cars sitting in lots all over the greater Detroit area

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

BORN TO PARK
 WORLD IS A DIRT LOT
  Charge Em All 2018
 I am a delivery hell man
410,787,864,530 DEAD TESLAS

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol I got to the part in the cars book I’m reading where some ex-ford guys end up at Chrysler and discover the absurd amount of money Chrysler had tied up in finished but not sold cars sitting in lots all over the greater Detroit area

what book is this

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

This show is amazing.

watch the placagna episode from season 2

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

exploded mummy posted:

watch the placagna episode from season 2

I've already injected the entire show and I can't believe she actually kept her real placenta just for that episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what book is this

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FAUXTON posted:

Enemy at the Golden Escalator was a good movie that just premeired in my head thank you

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Munkeymon posted:

Enemy at the Golden Corral was a good movie that just premeired in my head thank you

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

would go great next to one of those idiot englishfolk ovens that are on 24/7/365 as a lifestyle, maybe??
The AGA Cooker is blessed by Mary Berry and cannot be slandered.

Don’t even TRY calling it a pedo, Elton

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what book is this

"The Reckoning: Ford, Nissan, and the Decline of American Industry" by David Halberstam

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

:tipshat:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I gotta read this, it seems to explain a lot

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mewse posted:

I gotta read this, it seems to explain a lot

fuckin' better explain a lot, it's 700 pages

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Welding up some car carriers, BRB

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1044294753041313792

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Tesla morons call their cars "MS" or "MX" or "M3" even though those are already parts of names for cars

so you gotta clarify that you mean the good m3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

of course, so that's where the 300 removed spot welds from the model 3 underbody went