Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It feels weird to me that we're a month away from release and yet we've barely seen any gameplay. Is Rockstar usually like this with their games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Disgusting Coward posted:

its a stank pile of garbage

source your quotes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not gonna lie its crossed my mind to buy an Xbone Xs or whatever the gently caress the high end one is to play this drat game in all its glory.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

RatHat posted:

It feels weird to me that we're a month away from release and yet we've barely seen any gameplay. Is Rockstar usually like this with their games?

Pretty much yeah

It is weird that second gameplay trailer they announced hasn’t come out yet though

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Uh oh, early predicting another release delay right here.

Let's see the money

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
J/k, r* has no problem releasing unfinished games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Pretty much yeah

It is weird that second gameplay trailer they announced hasn’t come out yet though

Look man expanding testicles is hard poo poo. They are crunching on this.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Nottherealaborn posted:

One hell of a hot take

"Accidentally".

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah if it were made into a movie it would stand up with some of the better westerns ever made imo.

iirc they got john hillcoat to "direct" the cutscenes and he made a few cool movies irl

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
With RDR1 on PS3 was it the disc version or the Download version that loads really weird?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Shoehead posted:

With RDR1 on PS3 was it the disc version or the Download version that loads really weird?

It was the download version of gta 5

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm really excited to get more scenes with Dutch. These scenes from the original are decently staged but really well acted and paced. Pretty big spoilers for those who have not played the original including what is kinda sorta the ending.

RatHat posted:

To be fair, a lot of what we're hearing that makes the game so unique isn't really going to come through in gameplay videos. It's going to be a pretty decent shooter wrapped up in what is essentially Westworld.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey do you think Arthur is going to have to do number threes every other day or so, as well? There are, like, erotic woodcuts in 1899. It is a Rockstar game after all, and realism is a priority.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pro-click

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mameluke posted:

Hey do you think Arthur is going to have to do number threes every other day or so, as well? There are, like, erotic woodcuts in 1899. It is a Rockstar game after all, and realism is a priority.

According to one of the previews, you can get handjobs in baths, because as you said this is a Rockstar game and they can't help themselves.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Shoehead posted:

According to one of the previews, you can get handjobs in baths, because as you said this is a Rockstar game and they can't help themselves.

So what you're saying is that RDR2 is gonna be

nuts.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
One can get a sudd tubb rub and tug like a stud should, like a thug would.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Captain Beans posted:

quit now so you are ready ahead of time

No yeah that's good looking forward, thanks

Powershift posted:

Just pay through RDR1 because it's loving fantastic.

its a stank pile of garbage, the gameplay is just ride horse to place shoot dude but the horse pretty much does itself and shooting is done via super duper auto aim slow mo so the gameplay is really just watching a cowboy movie about the world's most blustery pushover yelling that this is the last time he's gonna help ya, for real, ya hear me as he collects another 45 snake dicks or whathaveyou.

EDIT: Deviate in the slightest from Dan Houser Presents: Blustery Errand Boy II: For A Few Blustery Errands More's incredibly tight scripting at any point and the game will insta-fail you. Wandering off to look at a cactus while Bonny tells you about her shrivelled ovaries is a transgression on a par with accidentally putting a rifle round in your son.

Both of these posts are true and accurate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its a stank pile of garbage, the gameplay is just ride horse to place shoot dude but the horse pretty much does itself and shooting is done via super duper auto aim slow mo so the gameplay is really just watching a cowboy movie about the world's most blustery pushover yelling that this is the last time he's gonna help ya, for real, ya hear me as he collects another 45 snake dicks or whathaveyou.

EDIT: Deviate in the slightest from Dan Houser Presents: Blustery Errand Boy II: For A Few Blustery Errands More's incredibly tight scripting at any point and the game will insta-fail you. Wandering off to look at a cactus while Bonny tells you about her shrivelled ovaries is a transgression on a par with accidentally putting a rifle round in your son.

I love the game but your not wrong. you forgot the part where all the main characters switch between having super introspective speeches with flourishes and poo poo and then to full on naive stupidity. idk. all the acting/writing is overly theatrical at times but i had that issue more with GTA V where crackhead trevor would have long monologues and poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While it is nice to have all these previews from the recent event it kind of sucks that apparently Rockstar didn't let anyone capture any footage of anything.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The "This is the last time I'm going to help ya..." stuff really only holds true for the Mexico section and at leas then it's a plot point that John is getting played. In New Austin while you are helping out dipshits, there is a clear goal of getting into Fort Mercer and the missions actually lend themselves to it (Stealing the gatling gun and getting money to armor up the wagon). The West Elizabeth sections are all about going after Dutch and pretty tightly plotted.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

muscles like this! posted:

While it is nice to have all these previews from the recent event it kind of sucks that apparently Rockstar didn't let anyone capture any footage of anything.

I think this is the only reason I'm not as hyped as I feel like I should be for this game. I love the first RDR, but found GTAV to be a letdown, and seriously despise the emphasis on Online over any single player content for that game. There's an air of "lol ur gonna buy it anyway, so whatever" with how information for RDR2 has been eked out, and it has kind of set a bad taste in my mouth. Just like, let me see how the game works, man. Let me build some faith in the product by getting eyes on it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it was funny as hell when people missed the fact that john marston was just as much of a flaming full of poo poo hypocrite as everyone else in the game despite the fact that its blatenly stated in multiple missions thats he's full of it so more of that would also own

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fart City posted:

I think this is the only reason I'm not as hyped as I feel like I should be for this game. I love the first RDR, but found GTAV to be a letdown, and seriously despise the emphasis on Online over any single player content for that game. There's an air of "lol ur gonna buy it anyway, so whatever" with how information for RDR2 has been eked out, and it has kind of set a bad taste in my mouth. Just like, let me see how the game works, man. Let me build some faith in the product by getting eyes on it.

I thought the initial single player experience at launch was great, better than any other GTA.

However, the total lack of post launch single player support was super disappointing. I would have loved another Ballad of Gay Tony or Lost and Damned.

But Rockstar would rather print money with mediocre online content.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Rockstar needs to get it in their heads that if they want to remove the sandboxy elements from their missions they also have to remove all the tedious garbage in them as well, so while I'm super hyped about RDR2 I'm conscious of that.

GTAV, while I liked it a lot, really gave me the shits with some missions requiring long drives across the countryside to get to the next place. Just loving teleport me there, I'm not gaining any immersion by listening to two characters prattle on while driving around and you already made me drive to the mission start point as well!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fart City posted:

I think they're one of those developers who can rely on their pedigree but still think it's dumb that they do to this extent. Kojima Productions released probably 2 hours' worth of gameplay footage for MGSV prior to its release. CDPR put out a 45-minute demo for Cyberpunk 2077 which is still a year or two away. Hell, even Ubisoft realized the Assassins Creed series had become so bland they started putting out long gameplay demos of the new ones just to build goodwill. On the one hand I like being dropped into a huge, detailed open world without knowing what to expect, on the other hand I always have the impression that a studio is confident in the game they made if they're willing to show off hours of it before release.

abigserve posted:

GTAV, while I liked it a lot, really gave me the shits with some missions requiring long drives across the countryside to get to the next place. Just loving teleport me there, I'm not gaining any immersion by listening to two characters prattle on while driving around and you already made me drive to the mission start point as well!

I really hope they cool it with the long stretches of expository dialog on horseback. It's awkward to have characters yell over the sound of galloping horses about politics or why this or that character is an rear end in a top hat. Hell, this sort of thing is really rare in Witcher 3 and the game is so much better for it. I want breathing room where I can admire all the details in the environment and get pulled in so a lack of dialog is fine.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 24, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Fart City posted:

There's an air of "lol ur gonna buy it anyway, so whatever" with how information for RDR2 has been eked out, and it has kind of set a bad taste in my mouth.

Rockstar has always, always marketed games like this

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I really hope they cool it with the long stretches of expository dialog on horseback. It's awkward to have characters yell over the sound of galloping horses about politics or why this or that character is an rear end in a top hat. Hell, this sort of thing is really rare in Witcher 3 and the game is so much better for it. I want breathing room where I can admire all the details in the environment and get pulled in so a lack of dialog is fine.

I've read somewhere that they recorded all the dialog twice. Once on normal speaking volume, and once on shouting volume for when you're galloping on your horse.
But then again, I've also read somewhere that you can just target the npc with the interactive wheel thing and conversate with them. So it sounds like it's your choice if you'd rather ride in silence.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Considering the opening mission that every preview last week wrote about had a long conversation on horseback on the way to the mission....

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

shut up blegum posted:

I've read somewhere that they recorded all the dialog twice. Once on normal speaking volume, and once on shouting volume for when you're galloping on your horse.

Try did this with Spider-Man. There are dialog recordings for when he's exerting himself and recordings for when he's not. It's pretty cool really.

The Fool posted:

Considering the opening mission that every preview last week wrote about had a long conversation on horseback on the way to the mission....

This only bothers me if you can't skip it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The Fool posted:

Its not like people never talked on horseback...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Friendly Fire posted:

This only bothers me if you can't skip it.

If it's anything like GTA V, you'll be required to listen to it on the first playthrough but on a replay you can skip it and if you die during the mission proper it'll have a checkpoint that starts you after it.

I don't have a problem with long conversations on horseback because the games are supposed to be about the characters and story in addition to the gameplay, and it's really stupid if you skip cutscenes in a story-heavy game because then you won't understand anything and complain.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I liked all that poo poo. :shobon:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

games are supposed to be about the characters and story in addition to the gameplay, and it's really stupid if you skip cutscenes in a story-heavy game because then you won't understand anything and complain.

Quoted because theres a few people who need to see this again.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Tercio posted:

I liked all that poo poo. :shobon:

:yeah:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Zipperelli. posted:

Or just use a better way to tell a story and give exposition.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My gripe is that I want less of the horseback exposition, they don't have to cut it entirely. Or they just add in the Witcher option of "hey I'll meet you at [objective] later" and get some exposition at the mission location later. RDR has horseback exposition in like every mission and it's irritating. Script some interesting cutscenes, mix it up.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm one of those people that just doesn't get into the story in games. If a game let's me skip cutscenes then 9 times out of 10 I'm skipping them - even on my first playthrough. It's definitely a double-edged sword though because while Far Cry 5's ending and the unfinished finale of Phantom Pain didn't bother me, I bounced off Yakuza pretty hard. C'est la vie.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zipperelli. posted:

Yeah there are games for this kind of gaming, which is fine, like mass effect Andromeda or any final fantasy game or metal gear game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/features/wildlife

I absolutely love good snow effects.

New hat! With rat! And bullet hole! Also nice to see the Volcanic pistol is back and you can mix and match your pistols. Now show me the drat LeMat and the Sharps rifle already :argh: