Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Brutakas posted:

Chrome version 69 will auto-login to the browser when you login to google services (and logout when you logout as well)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/17895536/google-chrome-69-log-in-sync-password-user-data-privacy

Personally, not a fan as I never log in to chrome. If people were forgetting to log out completely on shared devices, that's their problem. At least make it an opt-in instead of forcing the log in by default for everyone.

Flag to disable is here:
chrome://flags/#account-consistency

I could have sworn that Chrome already did this anyway?

Guess I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google already has your browser history and information when you use their browser. Same for Mozilla, Apple, and Microsoft.

Google does, yes. At least one of the others lets you opt out of some/all of the collection of such.

quote:

This isn't new.

What's new is the dark pattern described in the post Brutakas linked.

quote:

This is only an inconvenience if you use a shared device. Otherwise this will not affect you.

It's an inconvenience and affects you if you don't want to be signed into your browser.

There's a buried 'experimental' flag that opts you out of some (but, based on reports, not all!) of the account consistency features. How long do you suppose Google will support it?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I could have sworn that Chrome already did this anyway?

Guess I was wrong.

Chrome used to ask (and respect your decision if you said no).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

astral posted:

Google does, yes. At least one of the others lets you opt out of some/all of the collection of such.

What's new is the dark pattern described in the post Brutakas linked.

It's an inconvenience and affects you if you don't want to be signed into your browser.

There's a buried 'experimental' flag that opts you out of some (but, based on reports, not all!) of the account consistency features. How long do you suppose Google will support it?

Chrome used to ask (and respect your decision if you said no).

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity has existed long before this was a thing.

Also where do you think Siri and Cortana get their information from? There's nothing "dark" going on. It's just "Hey, you should sign in to your account so your stuff is saved if you want to pick it up elsewhere or use Assistant to help you later". Are there privacy concerns? Sure. But then you shouldn't use Assistant, Cortana, Siri or even iOS, Android, or Windows.

This is starting to become an age-old debate at this point...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity has existed long before this was a thing.

Also where do you think Siri and Cortana get their information from? There's nothing "dark" going on. It's just "Hey, you should sign in to your account so your stuff is saved if you want to pick it up elsewhere or use Assistant to help you later". Are there privacy concerns? Sure. But then you shouldn't use Assistant, Cortana, Siri or even iOS, Android, or Windows.

I mean, I don't use the Assistant for anything other than quickly setting timers, and don't do anything on my Windows and Android machines I wouldn't be comfortable with everyone and their mother knowing about anyway. The main reason I have a Mint dual-boot is for anything sensitive I don't want the corporate all-seeing eye to see... or any malware on them.

Only reason I stopped using SRWare Iron on my desktop is because it display a pink cast for some reason now, while Chrome doesn't.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think we might be having a miscommunication since we both agree there are privacy concerns. Dark patterns are, to quote darkpatterns.org, "tricks used in websites and apps that make you buy or sign up for things that you didn't mean to." When signing into a google service in the Chrome browser now also signs you into the browser by default whether you want to or not, that's a dark pattern.

And, yes, Cortana and Siri do indeed have dark patterns in their initial setup.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I don't understand the complaints. "Ahh, my eyes?" Nothing looks any brighter or overly contrasty to me. The tabs, eh... I can take either. And I like the rounded address bar.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It doesn't fit into the Windows 10 design language at all and looks like an old version of Firefox. All that rounded stuff simply clashes with other applications and especially UWP ones. They should be emulating Edge and not implement some bastardized and devolved version of Material design.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lambert posted:

It doesn't fit into the Windows 10 design language at all and looks like an old version of Firefox. All that rounded stuff simply clashes with other applications and especially UWP ones. They should be emulating Edge and not implement some bastardized and devolved version of Material design.

The more apps I can access via my browser the better.

MS should be trying to match my browser not the other way around. :colbert:

(for real though, I gave up caring about a unified experience across all my applications a decade ago. Web apps all look different, and very large percentage of native apps don't match any sort of standard...and you know what? I don't really care at all.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I don't either. Guess that's why I didn't understand the fuss.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lambert posted:

If there is one thing Google shouldn't be doing it's emulating Edge.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Google Images search now looks extremely fugly. How can I revert this, if possible?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
GIS "beautiful scenes"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am trying to figure out why embedded videos in tweets won't play. If I open a tweet in an incognito window then it works, so it is something in my setup. I have disabled all of my extensions (adblock, etc.) and it still doesn't work so it isn't something from an extension. I don't see anything in the settings that would affect embedded videos, what am I missing?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Embedded tweets have stopped rendering properly altogether for me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A colleague of mine is getting the Symantec cert warning on a site (https://secure.e-customer-service.com/), but I'm not. As far as I can tell from inspecting the cert, I should be getting the warning, but it's not popping up. Any idea why? Did I disable something at some point?

edit: figured it out, apparently Google is slow rolling that

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 2, 2018

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I've started using Messages for Web to receive text messages from my Android phone via Chrome tab, but would reallllly like aggressive desktop notifications of new messages, something that will nudge me hard when I'm on the PC/Mac but not keeping an eye on the Messages for Web tab. An audio cue, a popup, anything. The standard notification that's enabled in Settings appears to be buggy, it doesn't work consistently at all and I'm not sure why...does anyone know of an extension that does the same thing? There seem to be a number of Messages-for-Web-type interfaces in the Chrome store and it's hard to tell which ones have which any options on that front. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to provide.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I find that desktop notifications start lagging behind/get delayed after a while so I suck to Chrome notifications.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've just updated Chrome and they appear to have killed the ability to mute a tab by clicking on the little speaker icon, which is awful. I don't suppose there's some extension that can restore that functionality, or at least work as a half decent replacement somehow?

Edit: Also now I can't actually mute individual tabs-- if I right click on a tab and mute it, it mutes every tab that's on that domain. What the gently caress?

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 7, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

I've just updated Chrome and they appear to have killed the ability to mute a tab by clicking on the little speaker icon, which is awful. I don't suppose there's some extension that can restore that functionality, or at least work as a half decent replacement somehow?

Edit: Also now I can't actually mute individual tabs-- if I right click on a tab and mute it, it mutes every tab that's on that domain. What the gently caress?

You're not the only one annoyed at the fact they've axed that functionality completely. Every other browser does this - their rationale that the browser shouldn't take control of media playing on sites is simply ridiculous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Let's just let web sites take control of the browser. That's why Google Chrome allows pop-ups, right?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cabbit posted:

I actually came to ask the same thing. Might actually have to switch to firefox if this isn't just a bug.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Harminoff posted:

I actually came to ask the same thing. Might actually have to switch to firefox if this isn't just a bug.

It's not a bug, their support team has confirmed the removal as being intentional. The context menu option has changed as well, from "Mute this tab" to "Mute this site". Tab mute had been relegated to being an obscure settings flag when the changeover happened, those tend to get removed a few versions down the line. This is all in line with how Google tends to roll out new features/changes to Chrome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For the (probably) temporary fix, go to chrome:flags and search for "muting" and disable the setting that appears.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I realize there likely isn't a universal solution but are there any good options for adding dark modes to sites that don't have one built in?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CampingCarl posted:

I realize there likely isn't a universal solution but are there any good options for adding dark modes to sites that don't have one built in?

I tend to use Stylus on a case by case basis but I believe there's one that'll smart invert stuff for you on all sites

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there a theme that'll make Chrome look just like it did before the material design tabs we have now?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Cabbit posted:

I didn't even know Chrome did this, but if folks are talking about muting YouTube in tabs you might try the Enhancer for YouTube extension which, among other things, pauses any playing videos when you start another one. I find it really useful if I'm playing music in the background and play an embedded video on the forums. Saves me having to switch tabs, pause/mute then switch back.

fake edit: I'm not the developer btw

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

nexus6 posted:

I didn't even know Chrome did this, but if folks are talking about muting YouTube in tabs you might try the Enhancer for YouTube extension which, among other things, pauses any playing videos when you start another one. I find it really useful if I'm playing music in the background and play an embedded video on the forums. Saves me having to switch tabs, pause/mute then switch back.

fake edit: I'm not the developer btw

I ended up just installing some addon that lets me mute a tab with a keybind, which is a decent alternative.

On a similar note: with this latest Chrome update, I categorically cannot get the mini player to open for Google Play Music, which is also pretty annoying.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I simply accept that now I have to right click -> mute tab instead of clicking once. Annoying, but as long as that settings flag still exists I'm okay.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been using smart mute which works pretty well. It mutes everything but the active window. You can whitelist websites and whatnot if need be as well.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smart-mute/apadglapdamclpaedknbefnbcajfebgh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there a theme that'll make Chrome look just like it did before the material design tabs we have now?

Yeah they removed the UI flag for the old style tabs and I hate the poor at a glance tab separation. Please tell me there's a fix for this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, Firefox.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, Firefox.

Is there a replacement for DownThemAll! on the new Firefox yet? I haven't upgraded to Quantum or whatever they want to call it yet since they broke extensions to try and be like Chrome.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So the new Brave version looks like it's just Chrome. It has the exact same settings with minor changes, even has a user section at the top right. It all seems rather anti-privacy, frankly.

But it does all the normal Chrome things like let you use extensions so that's nice.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Whenever I do a google search the first five-ten entries or so are advert links that are barely relevant to what I'm looking for, this is a very recent thing and it is loving pissing me off to no end. Is there a way to get rid of this poo poo? It's so pervasive now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Does it do it in incognito mode? Sounds like you have a rogue extension or some other malware.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

eSporks posted:

Does it do it in incognito mode? Sounds like you have a rogue extension or some other malware.

It doesn't do it in incognito mode. I have ublock origin and ran a scan but nothing showed up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If it doesn't do it in incognito its most definitely some extension. Disable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cheers friend. It was the dark youtube theme extension that was causing it. Why these authors act like bastards all of a sudden is beyond me. It never did it until recently.

While searching for alternatives, I've found that youtube now naturally has a dark theme built in, so that's a win! I guess that's why the author decided to turn the extension into some rogue app.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What usually happens is a company buys it and then turns it into malware, it's not the original author.