Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

I tried to kid myself with the 9.7 ipad pro for a year...now my nephew plays fortnite on it

I am just used to doing too many things at once and the ipad is not there yet and my preference for a keyboard makes it that i might as well be on a real computer

I really want the new 10.5 iPads but I certainly don't need them and rather have a better phone and computer than that in between.

Same situation here, I know I could use an iPad Pro as my main device (did for a few months) but with the decades of experience on Desktop OSes i‘m far faster and more productive with a laptop. It felt like writing with my left vs my right (dominant) hand.

The thing I try to keep in mind is that many children now grow up with iOS and without a „computer“ so their situation will be reversed in a few years. It may already be the case for some people (young and elderly people who never used a desktop OS before they got a phone/tablet).
The other end of the spectrum has people like Stallman browsing the web via lynx on the commandline because that’s what he’s used to and he feels like it is good enough for him and his ideology.

I wonder where I’ll end up in a few years.
Right now I really like what Microsoft is doing with their hybrid approach, but something like Apple allowing x86 VMs via an iOS app in 10 years down the road could change everything, however unlikely it may be.

BTW Many people using the iPad for productive work use a physical keyboard. Shortcuts make a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I prefer doing work poo poo on my iPad (with a keyboard) for the simple reason that it feels less like actual work compared to using a mouse/keyboard.

I also write a lot less and don't proofread as much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the iPad Smart Keyboard is pretty drat awesome I can see how people put a lot of work in with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

You *can* write emails on an iPad, but it boggles the mind that anyone would prefer typing on the screen vs a laptop with a keyboard.

But what kind of job (that involves digital work and issues you a computer) can you do on an iPad other than emails / drawing stuff with the pencil? Examples please.

Dude. Smart Keyboards and Bluetooth keyboards exist.

I do network security stuff. It involves using RDP/VNC/SSH mostly when I need to reach out. Some python scripting. Some project annotation and review. A lot of teleconferencing and working in Excel/Word. Except for doing python natively (I currently remote into a box with Pycharm installed).

All easily done iPad Pro 12.9".

I don't *always* use it, but the option is there for when I need it on the go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife did college with an ipad and desktop. With the bluetooth keyboard it was just fine for note taking during lecture and study sessions then she'd have it all available when she got back to the big computer at home.

That's far from "do your entire job on an ipad" but it does slot well into certain categories of tasks.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

wooger posted:

You *can* write emails on an iPad, but it boggles the mind that anyone would prefer typing on the screen vs a laptop with a keyboard.

But what kind of job (that involves digital work and issues you a computer) can you do on an iPad other than emails / drawing stuff with the pencil? Examples please.

I mean I use the type cover... so it’s more like a laptop.

As to the work - I’m a software engineer but about 50% of my time is focused on the business side, recruiting, and interfacing with our more technically capable customers.

That’s a lot of Zoom meetings, emails, Basecamp, Google Docs/Sheets, and so on.

Like I said in a previous post - lots of consumption stuff where I need to read spec docs or business plans before I hop on a call.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wooger posted:

I’m a researcher so my day to day work is a mix of reading (iPad), emails (iPad), taking notes of things I read or in meetings (iPad), making PowerPoints (iPad), checking up on things running on remote servers, and coding. Everything I marked as (iPad) are all things I do exclusively on my iPad already. The last two are things I could theoretically do on an iPad if I had a good Bluetooth keyboard. The remote server thing is something I do from my phone a lot of the times.

Oh and I forgot writing, which I do on my phone because it’s just plaintext. All these documents are synced to my Dropbox so my workflow is usually “start on phone to get the basic poo poo written down and then edit it on my computer.” But I could do it all on a iPad too, again if I had a not annoying keyboard.

Don’t get me wrong though I wouldn’t willingly want to code on an iPad because tabbing back and forth to a browser gets annoying on an iPad.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 24, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Since we’ll never get a Mac with a touchscreen or Pencil support I guess what I’m saying is “Hey Mac thread, should I get a Surface?”

FWIW, as someone who's owned a Pencil since launch, and spent years using both a Surface Pro 3 and 4, the pen experience on the Surface is dogshit compared to the iPad.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

wooger posted:

I recently witnessed someone doing what I thought was most of their job on an iPad. Then they had to go get my coffee and I realized that accepting my payment on the iPad was only 50% of the job. :v:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

whoops; this is the hardware thread

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are any of the magsafe to usb-c power converters worth a poo poo?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Since we’ll never get a Mac with a touchscreen or Pencil support I guess what I’m saying is “Hey Mac thread, should I get a Surface?”
Go play with them side by side in a store, you'll have your answer (The Surface pencil support sucks compared to the iPad).*

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Mods, please change Electric Bugaloo's username to Salmon Sisters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mods, please change Electric Bugaloo's username to Salmon Sisters.

Microsoft has the worst marketing department in the industry.

What does this person even do? Why does your blog not look like a blog??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3436NmtJk

Also the original horror:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eames posted:

The thing I try to keep in mind is that many children now grow up with iOS and without a „computer“ so their situation will be reversed in a few years. It may already be the case for some people (young and elderly people who never used a desktop OS before they got a phone/tablet).

From my experience teaching that’s definitely the case with low-income kids. For all that shitbag Republicans love to trot out “people on welfare have smartphones and flatscreen TVs, wtf is up with that huh??” these products have become ubiquitous to the point where they’ve filled every price range and stuff like budget $400 4K TVs are commonplace and media devices and cable boxes with RCA jacks are basically nonexistent.

At this point, having a smartphone is practically necessary to do day-to-day poo poo, particularly in cities. So if your budget is tight and you’re choosing between spending $500-$800 on a family computer or getting each of your kids a phone (that you’ll probably have to do anyway) you’ll probably do the latter and leave it at that.

I’ve mentioned this before but I got a lot of 5-paragraph essays emailed to me that were thumb-typed.

AlternateAccount posted:

FWIW, as someone who's owned a Pencil since launch, and spent years using both a Surface Pro 3 and 4, the pen experience on the Surface is dogshit compared to the iPad.

Cool cool. Gonna trade in my Air and pick up a 2018 “classic” + Pencil or Pro depending on what the expected redesign shakes out to be.

Mac Hardware Megathread- Cannibalizing the iPad thread since 2010

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

eames posted:

Hmm, I think you’re dreaming somewhat - there is comparatively no one doing work on iOS devices vs desktop OSs right now. You perhaps also overestimate the proportion of people who get any say in the hardware they use at work regardless of what they’re used to.

A shift away from windows to something cheap like arm / chromebooks is more likely. You can work on anything with a browser, cheapest wins.

eames posted:

The other end of the spectrum has people like Stallman browsing the web via lynx on the commandline because that’s what he’s used to and he feels like it is good enough for him and his ideology.

Oh he’s way more extreme than that: he doesn’t trust the web to the point that he has a script fetch pages and email them to him as plain text. He also refuses for use/own a phone for privacy reasons.

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude. Smart Keyboards and Bluetooth keyboards exist.

I do network security stuff. It involves using RDP/VNC/SSH mostly when I need to reach out. Some python scripting. Some project annotation and review. A lot of teleconferencing and working in Excel/Word. Except for doing python natively (I currently remote into a box with Pycharm installed).

All easily done iPad Pro 12.9".

I don't *always* use it, but the option is there for when I need it on the go.

Do you not suffer from having only one, smallish, screen when teleconferencing while wanting to refer to docs? Do you not find excel slow as molasses to use on iOS vs a desktop? Do you not ever need to work without a fast reliable connection to the real computers which you’re reliant on for most of your work? Sounds like you’re basically using it as a thin client for half of this.

I can see how it’s possible with a keyboard attached, but I fail to see any benefit over an actual laptop at that point.

One more question: is this a personal iPad, or one supplied by your workplace (in addition to a laptop)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft has the worst marketing department in the industry.

What does this person even do? Why does your blog not look like a blog??

How about the one with the girls that run their business on a trawler where apparently their plan is to paint pictures of fish.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Do you not suffer from having only one, smallish, screen when teleconferencing while wanting to refer to docs? Do you not find excel slow as molasses to use on iOS vs a desktop? Do you not ever need to work without a fast reliable connection to the real computers which you’re reliant on for most of your work? Sounds like you’re basically using it as a thin client for half of this.

I can see how it’s possible with a keyboard attached, but I fail to see any benefit over an actual laptop at that point.

One more question: is this a personal iPad, or one supplied by your workplace (in addition to a laptop)?

12.9" is not smallish

It is not slow (but granted I don't use Excel much except for in the most basic ways)

About 20% of my job is needing to log into remote systems. I would say I spend more time NOT connected to our VPN.

The rest is working off of, or creating, docs in OneDrive or out of Outlook. Or being in way too many meetings. Meetings of which I can still participate in either in split screen or completely in the background, or as sometimes happens with a shared screen (either my own or someone else's).

This is a personal device, and as long as I accept the policy applied by Exchange and install the personal cert issued by work I'm good to go.

I guess I'm not getting the antipathy toward people who have been able to adapt and do SERIOUS BUSINESS WORK FOR A SERIOUS BUSINESS on an iPad. But whatever, I'll just keep on keeping on and get my raises and promotions and (mostly) generous merit bonuses doing what I do.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 24, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mark Larson posted:

I recently witnessed someone doing what I thought was most of their job on an iPad. Then they had to go get my coffee and I realized that accepting my payment on the iPad was only 50% of the job. :v:

A lot of smaller places up here in Canada are doing pos now with an iPad and a Square reader. Works really well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As a former retail person I never get tired of seeing "pos." :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's such a beautiful acronym because it's versatile

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What are my options for upgrading the SSD in my 2014 Retina MacBook Pro? It looks like Amazon has these MCE drives, but it states it will only work 2012 and 2013 MBPs. Is that right? Is the only option the part swap Bob Morales talked about a few pages back?

Looks like OWC has a kit, but I've picked up on a little bit of a grudge here on those guys.

Also, seconding the POS love. I feel so bad for the guy who supports those at work, an iPad honestly might be a better choice there.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 24, 2018

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Got two problems:

Just set up the new MBP, along with a new 4K external monitor. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort -> USB-C. Any time the Mac wakes up from sleep or is powered on, it has forgotten that there's an external monitor. All of my open windows have been moved around and resized as if I had been working on the 13-inch MBP display. My old MBP would only do this if I physically disconnected the external monitor.

It also forgets my custom color profile for the external monitor. Opening up System Preferences -> Displays and then clicking the Color tab automatically switches to the correct, saved color profile.

I have to go through this loving window-moving, color-correcting routine half-a-dozen times a day.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have almost the exact same setup. When I wake my mac the windows get moved around to the internal display, but as soon as the monitor comes back everything moves back into place. The one difference is that I don’t let the machine go to sleep, the display just turns off and the machine is locked.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Evis posted:

I have almost the exact same setup. When I wake my mac the windows get moved around to the internal display, but as soon as the monitor comes back everything moves back into place.

Yeah, this was my life until Saturday.

Evis posted:

The one difference is that I don’t let the machine go to sleep, the display just turns off and the machine is locked.

You mean your computer never powers down or sleeps? (Do you do that by checking "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off," in the Energy Saver window?)

Wait, I just realized you said that your computer properly rearranges everything when it wakes up, and then you said you don't let your computer go to sleep.

What I don't understand is why the behavior would have changed in the first place, considering both computers were using the same version of the same OS, with the same settings. The only difference is that the old monitor was HDMI -> Mini DisplayPort, and the new one is DisplayPort -> USB-C.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Aside from the smaller screen size and not being able to BTO 32GB or 6-core processors, any downsides to using 13" MBP instead of a 15"?

Also, anybody here tried using both on a plane? Was the 13" much easier if so?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 15 has a discrete graphics card

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sorry I should have been more clear. When I said “wake up”, I really meant when the display comes back on because I tapped the keyboard. The machine never sleeps. (Though I do power it off most nights) I don’t let it sleep mostly because I’ve had issues over the years with kernel panics in sleep, not with windows rearranging themselves.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Cool, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xzzy posted:

How about the one with the girls that run their business on a trawler where apparently their plan is to paint pictures of fish.

That one is extra hilarious because once again it's like WTF DO YOU EVEN DO??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZ_J3l_0z4

I guess they make ugly clothes and other crap, I am not sure why a boat and/or hip waders are required for that. Smells like trust fund bullshit.
https://aksalmonsisters.com/collections/all

All the videos are terrible. Everything's HDR'd to gently caress, just feels exceptionally artificial and completely disconnected from reality.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh they're Alaskan, that explains 99% of it. All that's missing is appropriating native american art.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

Aside from the smaller screen size and not being able to BTO 32GB or 6-core processors, any downsides to using 13" MBP instead of a 15"?

Also, anybody here tried using both on a plane? Was the 13" much easier if so?

15” on a plane? Lol if you fly coach

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nitsuga posted:

What are my options for upgrading the SSD in my 2014 Retina MacBook Pro? It looks like Amazon has these MCE drives, but it states it will only work 2012 and 2013 MBPs. Is that right? Is the only option the part swap Bob Morales talked about a few pages back?

It’s your lucky day: There’s a dude selling an OEM 1TB SSD in SA-mart

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

That one is extra hilarious because once again it's like WTF DO YOU EVEN DO??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZ_J3l_0z4

I guess they make ugly clothes and other crap, I am not sure why a boat and/or hip waders are required for that. Smells like trust fund bullshit.
https://aksalmonsisters.com/collections/all

All the videos are terrible. Everything's HDR'd to gently caress, just feels exceptionally artificial and completely disconnected from reality.

I read a magazine profile on them in a waiting room recently. Their family were apparently independent fishers (ie. you own your own boat and sell to a distributor/processor like the people on Deadliest Catch/Wicked Tuna/etc) and they decided to keep working in the business post-college. The idea is that they direct-sell their catch to consumers and do their own processing (à la Omaha Steaks, I guess) during the fishing season instead of selling to a 3rd party and the quasi-lifestyle brand/fisheries advocacy org/"content creation" is a way of marketing and generating revenue during the offseason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nitsuga posted:

Looks like OWC has a kit, but I've picked up on a little bit of a grudge here on those guys.

Aura drives use some kind of godawful controllers running a proprietary RAID 0 setup; they only recently updated them to be compatible with High Sierra, before that, people who updated to High Sierra with their drives wound up with non-bootable machines. God knows what would happen to them with Mojave.

You didn't say what capacity you have now, but there's also the Transcend JetDrive 820 / 825 / 855 that's compatible with 2014 rMBPs, price is a wee bit high for my tastes but better than trying to buy a new OEM drive.

There's one more choice that involves buying a special $20 adapter and then using the M.2 SSD of your choice and saving big; the only caveats are that you don't get proper hibernation / sleep behavior, you basically have to shut off hibernation and it uses up more of your battery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s basically trust fund bullshit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That’s basically trust fund bullshit.

:jerkbag:

you’re posting in a Mac thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was being sarcastic.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Aura drives use some kind of godawful controllers running a proprietary RAID 0 setup; they only recently updated them to be compatible with High Sierra, before that, people who updated to High Sierra with their drives wound up with non-bootable machines. God knows what would happen to them with Mojave.

You didn't say what capacity you have now, but there's also the Transcend JetDrive 820 / 825 / 855 that's compatible with 2014 rMBPs, price is a wee bit high for my tastes but better than trying to buy a new OEM drive.

There's one more choice that involves buying a special $20 adapter and then using the M.2 SSD of your choice and saving big; the only caveats are that you don't get proper hibernation / sleep behavior, you basically have to shut off hibernation and it uses up more of your battery.

Those Aura drives sound dreadful! Glad I have a few options. I could probably get by without sleep on this thing, but I'll give it some thought. Are any of the adapters better than the other?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Sintech NGFF-C is considered the most reliable adapter.

A Samsung EVO 960 is only $150 to go to 500 GB, so $170 total! A 1 TB EVO 960 would set you back maybe $320.

EVO 970 PRO would be even better, but all the PRO really gets you is slightly faster I/O and a significant longer lifetime (can handle more writes to the RAM) but your laptop will likely decompose long before you hit the write limits on a PRO.

There are folks who are still working on creating a software-based flasher to inject the DXE NVMe driver from the MacPro 6,1 or the 2015 rMBPs into the 2013/2014 BootROM, as having that driver installed grants all the benefits that OEM Apple SSDs enjoy (power management and hibernation compatibility.)

It's possible to do it physically by hooking up a flash chip programmer directly to the flash chip on the rMBP logic board, but tons more risky.

You would still suffer from reduced battery life as the Samsung SSDs soak up more power than the Apple OEMs but you wouldn't have to worry about sleep/hibernate.

I had a 960 hooked into my Late 2013 rMBP but wound up installing it into the ex-GF's 2015 rMBP, whose original 256 GB Apple SSD died, and used that as an excuse to trade up to a 970 Pro because I want to witness the laptop disintegrating around the SSD. No, I didn't carry her printer across town. Gonna bring it to Da Fruit Stand once the battery capacity goes below 80% (It's 83% now) and switch the original back in so they can't piss at me for making unauthorized mods.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Mods, please change thread title to Mac Hardware Megathread: Basically Trust Fund Bullshit