Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Korn posted:

So what your saying is both videogames are jobs

I wish my job owned as much as Monster Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

content
Feb 13, 2014

People complaining about and praising Dark Souls and Monster Hunter like buttholes? What loving year is it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

I didn't realize how uh... rough the NES version is compared to All-Stars.
The biggest issue with the NES version is the lack of save, although warp whistles help with that (or saves states in the modern era). Obvious the graphics and music have less fidelity than the All Stars version, but they're great for the NES and I don't think the All Stars version necessarily devalues them.

I wonder if, when NES Online is eventually updated for SNES support (probably two years from now) they'll include All Stars. It never hit VC because of the standalone Wii release, and probably because they didn't want to cannibalize sales of the NES/GBA individual releases. But if they're going to put all the NES versions online anyways, might as well do All Stars too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Dark souls and zelda both have parrying, as well as weapon degradation, so zelda is basically bloodbourne.

Dark Souls is one of my favorite Zelda games.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls is one of my favorite Zelda games.

Darksiders if my favorite Zelda game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

That's because it's not the point of the network test. This isn't the start of the game, you're just plonked into the middle of it to test the network (hence the name.)

As much as people joke about it, the actual game does have a tutorial and ease you into how the game is played :) The big thing about the Souls games is to not expect them to play like modern action games. You aren't zipping around and button-mashing, it's all very slow and deliberate and relies on hitboxes and animation timing. It takes a different mindset, and it greatly rewards patience and paying attention. It's not for everyone but really wonderful if you get into it :3:

I didn't realize it was starting me in the middle. I just figured it was that hard and with everyone saying that's what Dark Souls is like I just figured that was the case.

That actually makes it way more interesting. The real pull in the game for me is the exploration. People keep saying the map is really well designed, and if there was one thing I loved about Hollow Knight it was the map and exploring it. If Dark Souls is anything like that it's the game for me, combat be damned. I can still learn any sort gameplay given the opportunity. I just need to be motivated to do so, and exploring my very favorite thing in games is exactly the thing to motivate me.

I have the impression that MH is more about combat, the hunt so to speak, than exploration despite the map, which is why after that bad demo, which showed me a combat system I had very little interest in I wrote it off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Protip on Super Mario Bros 3, if you want to play a hard mode of sorts, use the Famicom version of the app. In the Famicom version no matter what power up you have you revert to small Mario when hit.

In the US version if you are Fire, Tanooki, or one of the suit Marios, getting hit makes you big Mario.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

GC Animal Crossing it was quiet clear the villagers thought you were a dweeb chump to take advantage of. Like the whole “I’m taking all your money without your consent here’s some trash, rear end in a top hat” pretty much cements that

I'll never forgive the villager for taking my Snowman Chair and giving me some lovely carpet while laughing at me.

Building a good snowman is hard, gently caress you Dottie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dark Souls map is the only good 3d metroidvania even if it falls apart during the home stretch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dark Souls map is the only good 3d metroidvania even if it falls apart during the home stretch.

it's not even a Metroidvania

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I didn't realize it was starting me in the middle. I just figured it was that hard and with everyone saying that's what Dark Souls is like I just figured that was the case.

That actually makes it way more interesting. The real pull in the game for me is the exploration. People keep saying the map is really well designed, and if there was one thing I loved about Hollow Knight it was the map and exploring it. If Dark Souls is anything like that it's the game for me, combat be damned. I can still learn any sort gameplay given the opportunity. I just need to be motivated to do so, and exploring my very favorite thing in games is exactly the thing to motivate me.

I have the impression that MH is more about combat, the hunt so to speak, than exploration despite the map, which is why after that bad demo, which showed me a combat system I had very little interest in I wrote it off.

You got it! If you loved Hollow Knight then you will surely love it. The story, atmosphere and exploration is what makes Dark Souls so magical and it has this almost nostalgic factor to it. It's really one of a kind, but Hollow Knight did a great job doing a similar thing in 2D (HK is also easily one of my favorite games ever)

You're right about monhun too, it doesn't really have story or exploration and is all about the combat and, well, hunting monsters. That said, a big draw for monhun is how downright charming the games are which you wouldn't get a sense of from the (terrible) demos. They're truly wonderful games filled with adorable characters and cat puns but definitely very different from the atmosphere and exploration-heavy Souls games :v:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Have another one of these, only cool.
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1044278837503291392
Took the dude less that six hours and is made with a hacked version of Flipnote Studio.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

it's not even a Metroidvania

Thats how bad the competition is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Thats how bad the competition is.

fair

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lodin posted:

Have another one of these, only cool.
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1044278837503291392
Took the dude less that six hours and is made with a hacked version of Flipnote Studio.

Pretty impressive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Korn posted:

So what your saying is both videogames are jobs

Except videogames pay workers what corporations can only wish they did (nothing).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Mind being more specific? World does away with the maps having loading zones between each area but i'm not sure that's what you're referring to.

The environments in Souls are interesting to explore and look at.

The environments in GU (broken by loading screens, aside) are not interesting to explore. Most areas are empty, slightly rearranged arenas for a boss fight.

Edit: I want to state for the record MHGU is an excellent game. I'm not bitching about any games with this post. It's just me day dreaming about what would really be my perfect game.

I'm 71 hrs into MHGU and there are no signs I'm slowing down. Actually the opposite is occuring. It's a wonderful game. It's charming. It's fun. It's satisfying. It's even accommodating! If I want to play a game but am tired, I can play AS A CAT and collect resources that I can turn into items and gear for my Hunter that I can play when I'm not tired. Simply put, I haven't enjoyed a game like I'm enjoying MHGU since I was into Diablo 2 LOD in high school. It's a delight to play.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 24, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Except videogames pay workers what corporations can only wish they did (nothing).

videogames pay your employees, bad mod!:colbert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The environments in MH World are sick so look forward to that if you ever get around to playing it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

The environments in GU (broken by loading screens, aside) are not interesting to explore. Most areas are empty, slightly rearranged arenas for a boss fight.
The environments in World are much better, but I still wouldn't really compare them to Dark Souls.

They're no longer broken up by loading screens, but they're still maps, you know what I mean? That said, they've got a lot more verticality and they're pretty gorgeous :3:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They need to add manuals to the NES games cause some of them I have no idea what the gently caress I’m doing

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They need to add manuals to the NES games cause some of them I have no idea what the gently caress I’m doing

Bash the 4 buttons you have and see what they do. Usually one will pause the game, the other will do nothing outside of a menu, and the other two are generally Run and Jump/Shoot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I want to play World but I only have Switch and PC and my PC is sufficiently dated that World will likely not run.

Also if a game is long and it doesn't have an handheld option I'll likely never finish it. My completion rate sky rockets when u can handheld games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

videogames pay your employees, bad mod!:colbert:

I'm referring to players, not actual devs, that's the joke (that players are working when they play videogames).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

there are a surprising number of games where the manual doesn't even slightly help with this

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Wildtortilla posted:

Also if a game is long and it doesn't have an handheld option I'll likely never finish it. My completion rate sky rockets when u can handheld games.

Same, that's why I'm waiting for the Switch version of DQXI. If I had to make the commitment to have my butt in a particular seat for that many hours, there's no chance I'd finish it. Set that butt free, and the possibilities are endless.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: I want to state for the record MHGU is an excellent game. I'm not bitching about any games with this post. It's just me day dreaming about what would really be my perfect game.

I'm 71 hrs into MHGU and there are no signs I'm slowing down. Actually the opposite is occuring. It's a wonderful game. It's charming. It's fun. It's satisfying. It's even accommodating! If I want to play a game but am tired, I can play AS A CAT and collect resources that I can turn into items and gear for my Hunter that I can play when I'm not tired. Simply put, I haven't enjoyed a game like I'm enjoying MHGU since I was into Diablo 2 LOD in high school. It's a delight to play.

Hey if you like being the cat, you can totally do more than just gather stuff as a cat! Cats can kill monsters just fine, too. Take it from me: I main the cat. I have yet to bring my human character out of retirement since I moved from original Generations on 3DS to GenU.

There's just something satisfying about beating up giant monsters as a tiny cat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1044298844844974082

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's one of those Neverwinter style games, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

It's a computer RPG that is super inspired by Dungeons & Dragons, and Baldurs Gate. So yeah pretty much. Original Sin 2 is suppose to be amazing. I have it installed on Steam but haven't played it yet though. Going to try to get into it this week.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes except it has a great turn-based combat system instead of real-time-with-pause garbage that afflicts the rest of the genre

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Same, that's why I'm waiting for the Switch version of DQXI. If I had to make the commitment to have my butt in a particular seat for that many hours, there's no chance I'd finish it. Set that butt free, and the possibilities are endless.

I can really only do RPG games on a handheld system at this point. If I get Diablo or Skyrim or Dragon Quest on my PC my attention span for them slides right down but on a handheld I can play them for hours cause I’m not stuck in one spot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's a computer RPG that is super inspired by Dungeons & Dragons, and Baldurs Gate. So yeah pretty much. Original Sin 2 is suppose to be amazing. I have it installed on Steam but haven't played it yet though. Going to try to get into it this week.

Yeah it is supposed to be really good.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I thought I would really dig divinity 2 but...eh. first thing that happened to me at the prison island is I got nuked by some crazy guy, then destroyed by teleporting alligators. I couldn't seem to get through any encounter without someone dying and far as I could tell I could not find any means of getting stronger in the six hours I bumbled around in it.

I still feel bad about not liking it though, I'll give it another go sometime.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully the port is better than Wasteland 2. Requested a refund after only 15 minutes cause drat that version sucks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

content posted:

People complaining about and praising Dark Souls and Monster Hunter like buttholes? What loving year is it?

I like buttholes,and the people they're attached too

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Goodguy3 posted:

I thought I would really dig divinity 2 but...eh. first thing that happened to me at the prison island is I got nuked by some crazy guy, then destroyed by teleporting alligators. I couldn't seem to get through any encounter without someone dying and far as I could tell I could not find any means of getting stronger in the six hours I bumbled around in it.

If its anything like the first game that means you needed to go another direction for like 8 hours.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

If its anything like the first game that means you needed to go another direction for like 8 hours.

Nah the first area is much more less open than in 1

The first fight you choose is just quite a bit harder than the rest of the game since you have so few options. You can pretty easily squeeze enough exp to get a level in the city before fighting though which makes it easier. It’s a bit dumb but shouldn’t discourage you from the game!

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 24, 2018

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Goodguy3 posted:

I was the same way, actually. I tried it once around release and couldn't get into it, but that was on a relatively crappy PC. I tried it again in February after upgrading to a top of the line machine but noooope. Never left the tutorial island. It just felt un-focused and meandering and while I'm sure it absolutely does get better....at this stage of my life I can't sink a large quantity of time into a game that takes that long to really get going. I feel guilty about it, really, as I REALLY wanted to love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I was the same way, actually. I tried it once around release and couldn't get into it, but that was on a relatively crappy PC. I tried it again in February after upgrading to a top of the line machine but noooope. Never left the tutorial island. It just felt un-focused and meandering and while I'm sure it absolutely does get better....at this stage of my life I can't sink a large quantity of time into a game that takes that long to really get going. I feel guilty about it, really, as I REALLY wanted to love that game.

It’s not really a tutorial island, you spend like 10-20 hours of game time there. It’s he first act of the game.

• Locked thread