Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goferchan posted:

How's the original version of Siren versus the PS3 remake? I've only got a PS4 so I can't play the latter right now but I'm wondering if I'm better off holding out for the PS3 version, it seems like it was pretty well-reviewed

You can just get the original PS2 version from the US PS3 store as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Siren is an experience that you should play through a bit first, just to experience the atmosphere first hand. But eventually you should see a let's play or constantly check an walkthrough, even when you think you don't have to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Siren is really a lot less complicated than people make it out to be. In the majority of stages, there's a main objective and a side objective. When you fulfill the main objective, the chapter ends, even if you're standing in the middle of the street with shibito beating on you. When you fulfill the side objective, the chapter may end, but sometimes they need to be completed in addition to the main objective.

If you fulfill the side objectives, you may get to do special stuff in later chapters or even get new, special chapters and/or cutscenes altogether. Those are highlighted in the chapter viewer with a special color and it's really super easy to tell what you need to do and what they unlocked. There's literally a flowchart that illustrates it for you.

That's basically all you really need to know, no walkthroughs or LPs required.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah. you really need a walkthrough for a bunch of the side objectives, they are Sierra levels of obtuse. Plus you have to do all of them if you want to get the ending.

I'm glad I never played Siren, I would have despised it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Which Siren was it where like...iirc you had to put something into a freezer to grab out later as another character, but you'd have no reason to do that? I think it was something like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Which Siren was it where like...iirc you had to put something into a freezer to grab out later as another character, but you'd have no reason to do that? I think it was something like that.
Siren 1.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
To elaborate on my earlier post about the Siren remake, here are some of the things it does that make it a worse experience than the original. It's been a while since I played it, so i might be misremembering some things.

The original Siren is a story told through the viewpoints of something like 15 different characters. Some of these characters die or have surprising things happen to them throughout the story. The story and the way the character interactions develop alongside the main narrative is expansive and de-centered. You believe in the independence of these characters from the situation they're in. Some more than others, but mostly they feel "real."
The remake is a story about, like, 4 different characters. It's a story about a mom and dad learning to be better parents to their kid. Everything that happens seems like it's related to this conflict. This makes the horror and the situation feel artificial.

Here's a prime example of the way that the effectiveness of the horror is affected by the change in focus. Spoilers for the most famous level of both versions:

The most famous level of Siren, which exists in both versions, is one where you play as a very small child trapped in a house with three ghouls. It is an enforced stealth section, where being caught results in a game over.

In the remake, you're the blonde-haired daughter of the American couple who are basically the protagonists of the game, and you're stuck in a house that you went to hide in, with some random Japanese family crawling around looking for you. They're spooky, for sure, but they're just enemies.

In the original, you're the only remaining human member of that family. The ghouls seeking to kill you are your mother, your father, and your sister. You previously played several levels with the now-undead sister as a playable character.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, ok, that one was bad. It's the exception, though. Most of the side objectives are on the level of "make sure all shibitos are down when you exit the stage" or "get to point X before five minutes have passed." It can be challenging, but on the whole, it's stuff you really can do through trial and error. The crazy moon logic puzzle is the outlier, not the rule.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there's also the whole radio in the bucket in the well sequence, which if I recall is pretty early in Siren

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'll admit, that one made total sense to me. What else would you do with an noisy radio if not place it somewhere to bait an enemy into a trap of some kind? It is a video game, after all. Punt in the immortal zombie into the well, where else would you put them?

Oh well, I suppose in the end, it's up to everyone to decide for themselves how many obtuse puzzles they can tolerate. Compared to what some of the adventure games I grew up with used to pull, I thought most of it was pleasantly straightforward or at least reasonably logical in hindsight, but I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. It's a niche title for a reason, after all.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

A lot of the secondary objectives can be found out by sightjacking shibito and just watching what they focus on, but they can still be really obtuse. The freezer one sticks out mainly because there's no way of knowing that you even have to do that without a hint, and iirc you have to plug it in in a previous mission before you can even do the whole soaking a rag and freezing it. I could be getting that wrong because its been a while since I've played it.

The real fucker is trying to find all of the archives.

Also the couple of missions where you have to speedrun them because they have a stringent time limit, in a game about taking your time because youll die in one or two hits.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The side objectives are just such blatant padding that add nothing to the game but just waste your time. Siren 1 has some real cool things, but I think its overall a bad game design-wise.

To go back to FF chat, yeah 2 is really good. I need to get around to playing 1 and 3, I've had them for so long.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 24, 2018

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

What makes the monk annoying to deal with?

I really should sit down and play some ff1 one day.

It's been a a good decade since I played, but IIRC his head appears and disappears constantly, and he can only be damaged when it's visible. This is on top of the monk being one of the hardest enemies in terms of health and damage. Also I think his head flits in and out of existence independent of his other animations, so it's possible for you to set up a good shot then eat poo poo because he went invincible as you pulled the trigger.

Apologies if I'm misremembering here. It stood out in a game that was pretty great if janky otherwise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

The side objectives are just such blatant padding that add nothing to the game but just waste your time. Siren 1 has some real cool things, but I think its overall a bad game design-wise.
Gotta admit, you're not wrong there. It's very noticeably the first entry in a series, so there's a lot of jank that hasn't been worked out yet. I wouldn't recommend it over its sequels, I just it's not as bad people make it out to be.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bonaventure posted:

The most famous level of Siren, which exists in both versions, is one where you play as a very small child trapped in a house with three ghouls. It is an enforced stealth section, where being caught results in a game over.

In the remake, you're the blonde-haired daughter of the American couple who are basically the protagonists of the game, and you're stuck in a house that you went to hide in, with some random Japanese family crawling around looking for you. They're spooky, for sure, but they're just enemies.

In the original, you're the only remaining human member of that family. The ghouls seeking to kill you are your mother, your father, and your sister. You previously played several levels with the now-undead sister as a playable character.

harumi isn't related to tomoko nor her parents

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

Really? I could've sworn she was!
poo poo, now that you mention it there's not enough bedrooms in that house lol

This is seriously a misconception I had since I first played the game. I'm clearly an idiot.
Oh well, I still think the sequence works better for the Tomoko connection.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

Everything else about that post is correct, though. The shibito in that scenario are a family, one of which previously was player character, and it's super loving creepy how happy they act in the pre-level cutscene. Cutting out that context did the level no favours at all, because it really helps make it work.

Speaking of which, the most plain genius level in that game is probably the one right before(?) that one, the level where you play as a shibito and everything is just so happy and sparkly. All the game until then, if you were paying the slightest attention and giving it even a smidgeon of thought, you have been wondering what is up with your enemies and why they seem so strangely satisfied with their fate, even starting to laugh at odd times and just plain seeming to have the time of their unlives.

Then you know, and it really doesn't help you feel better. At all.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 24, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the remake is fine. it's something i would tell people to watch after the first two games but it's a neat alternate take on the formula.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nah. It's the "if it doesn't happen in my back yard, it isn't worth paying attention to" Americanized version with only a fraction of the charm or attention to detail put into it. It's like that version of The Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar. Sure, it's not awful, but the only reason you'd pick it over the original (if you can get it) is because all those strange foreign people scare you and you don't want to deal with anything less familiar.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ineffiable posted:

Plotwise, it's a monk who came across the ruin and tried to exorcise it sometime before your arrival. Gameplay-wise, he teleports and moves very quickly, is extremely resistant to the stun effect of your attacks (sometimes he basically doesn't pause at all when hit), and his attacks include melee rushes and homing fireballs. And he can appear in a room that's very difficult to navigate, and otherwise only spawns relatively simple ghosts-basically a zigzag of narrow platforms.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It's been a a good decade since I played, but IIRC his head appears and disappears constantly, and he can only be damaged when it's visible. This is on top of the monk being one of the hardest enemies in terms of health and damage. Also I think his head flits in and out of existence independent of his other animations, so it's possible for you to set up a good shot then eat poo poo because he went invincible as you pulled the trigger.

Apologies if I'm misremembering here. It stood out in a game that was pretty great if janky otherwise.

That's a different enemy, one of the sub-bosses, a priest. Easy to confuse! In contrast...

Accordion Man posted:

I'm glad I never played Siren, I would have despised it.

Maybe ease off the throttle a bit there, if you've literally never played the game.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 24, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe ease off the throttle a bit there, if you've literally never played the game.
I've watched a full LP of the game, I know well enough to know I would hate playing it. Not making GBS threads on anyone that does like playing it.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Gotta admit, you're not wrong there. It's very noticeably the first entry in a series, so there's a lot of jank that hasn't been worked out yet. I wouldn't recommend it over its sequels, I just it's not as bad people make it out to be.

I remember there being some strange logic to them. Either for character x to see an event between other two characters; or to go by a certain place so you can lose something, because otherwise that wouldn't happen to another character so that chapter is locked. But I think there's different ways to design a game around those kind of details without constant backtracking or being super lost.

But yeah playing that game is required at little because there's so much stuff that you just don't get how horrible it is if you weren't playing. Like the dread of being that girl in that house like the poster above said.
I can't recommend because it is gruelling and it's prob the least fun you'll have but. If you are wanting a really great experience: try to play it as much we you can go before you get lost.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Meallan posted:

I remember there being some strange logic to them. Either for character x to see an event between other two characters; or to go by a certain place so you can lose something, because otherwise that wouldn't happen to another character so that chapter is locked. But I think there's different ways to design a game around those kind of details without constant backtracking or being super lost.

But yeah playing that game is required at little because there's so much stuff that you just don't get how horrible it is if you weren't playing. Like the dread of being that little girl in that house like the poster above said.
I can't recommend because it is gruelling and it's prob the least fun you'll have but. If you are wanting a really great experience: try to play it as much we you can go before you get lost.

The towel example is particularly egregious since you dont even as actually need the towel to do the secondary mission it just made it easier and made more sense than randomly obtaining a towel from a she across the map near the exit then running back near the start to soak it in a sink and throw it in a freezer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I also cant remember what in the living gently caress Shiro getting Kyoya's student ID actually did to branch the story.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Do you guys remember that website they had up for siren that showed a bit about their backstories. Can anyone link me to It?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've been playing painscreek killings and I've been having fun with it. I even saw a spooky ghost!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Basticle posted:

It not necessarily horror, but did you guys know Swery was making a new game? (I didn't) Its out October 11th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fqQK0bl_U

...Okay.

I'm vaguely intrigued.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Making a trailer that consists of nothing but creative ways for you to die in his new game is such a Swery thing to do.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cardiovorax posted:

Everything else about that post is correct, though. The shibito in that scenario are a family, one of which previously was player character, and it's super loving creepy how happy they act in the pre-level cutscene. Cutting out that context did the level no favours at all, because it really helps make it work.

Speaking of which, the most plain genius level in that game is probably the one right before(?) that one, the level where you play as a shibito and everything is just so happy and sparkly. All the game until then, if you were paying the slightest attention and giving it even a smidgeon of thought, you have been wondering what is up with your enemies and why they seem so strangely satisfied with their fate, even starting to laugh at odd times and just plain seeming to have the time of their unlives.

Then you know, and it really doesn't help you feel better. At all.

Is this Siren 2? Got a link at all to that level, because I can't recall it at all.

Also is there anyone like EgoManiac who did a LP of the Fatal Frame games? I'd love to see a well done, informative run of those games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Is this Siren 2? Got a link at all to that level, because I can't recall it at all.

Also is there anyone like EgoManiac who did a LP of the Fatal Frame games? I'd love to see a well done, informative run of those games.
To the first: no, that's regular Forbidden Siren 1. It happens in the last level where you get to play as Toemoekoe Tomoko, which takes place in that rice paddy field. There are little floating, glowy bug thingies in the air who kind of sing in the background. During that level, you also run into the shibitofied reporter character who just begs you look at her, but won't attack.

As to the second, Niggurath did a playthrough of the first three titles somewhat recently. You can find it on the LP Archive, the Youtube videos are still good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cardiovorax posted:

To the first: no, that's regular Forbidden Siren 1. It happens in the last level where you get to play as Toemoekoe Tomoko, which takes place in that rice paddy field. There are little floating, glowy bug thingies in the air who kind of sing in the background. During that level, you also run into the shibitofied reporter character who just begs you look at her, but won't attack.

As to the second, Niggurath did a playthrough of the first three titles somewhat recently. You can find it on the LP Archive, the Youtube videos are still good.

Cheers! I'll dig out EgoManiac's aul LP tonight and re-watch them. And I'll check out that Fatal Frame series too. Thank you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SuperGreatFriend did a great Siren 1 LP just a while ago, so if you want great commentary and higher quality videos, try that one. Have fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Egomaniac also redid the first Siren with better quality since the original was from 07

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cardiovorax posted:

He actually did the fourth as well but only finished it on his Youtube channel, so it's not on the lparchive.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I really should sit down and play some ff1 one day.

I remember that he teleports. Sometimes directly onto you from above and, in a game where movement is slowed when the camera is out, dodging him can be an absolute pain and his high damage output makes it even worse.

Fortunately he shows up late in the game so you're better prepared with more powerful film.

You really should! It has some of the creepiest ghosts in the series, before they became more like standard people-ghosts.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

SuperGreatFriend did a great Siren 1 LP just a while ago, so if you want great commentary and higher quality videos, try that one. Have fun.

I've never watched the Egomaniac one but I can vouch for the supergreatfriend one too, it's very thorough and completionist.

Commentary can take away from the spookiness a little bit though if you're looking for max scare factor.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A couple pages ago there was some Her Story dissent with no specific reason. As someone who has never played Her Story what’s some common criticisms of the game and Sam Barlow?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A couple pages ago there was some Her Story dissent with no specific reason. As someone who has never played Her Story what’s some common criticisms of the game and Sam Barlow?

what part of HACK FRAUD dont you understand?

I would like to know too

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

It's because he worked on some of the bad silent hill games.

He likes to write one type of story with one central theme which is weird to complain about because there are so many worse writers that do the same thing that get glossed over.

I wonder how much of the hate boner for him is sourced directly from voidburger's lps of origins and shattered memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't played any of Barlow's other projects but Her Story and have no strong opinion of the guy. Her Story as a game is scrubbing through transcripts and watching video of a woman describing what sounds like a murder although the narrative is intentionally built around two different interpretations and reading other people's experience they usually get hung up on one or the other. What I found most interesting about the game is that the script and video is carefully edited to guide the player naturally through one of these narrative arcs and you can just miss the others.

It's otherwise kind of an unsubstantial game? Like the narrative when pieced together doesn't have a satisfying conclusion, it's just that the editing is so good by the time you get enough information you're presented with the "ending" and no actual conclusion. It's the kind of game where you're left to dwell on the individual moments, and there was certainly some entertainment to be had jotting down notes and being lead by the nose, but as a whole it doesn't come together in a satisfying way.