Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1044249755407319041?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow so crazy that their sources inside the facts don’t matter White House consistently give them false leads

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

need a collage of people saying you should subscribe to the NYT in 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

No they wouldn't. It's that having someone who was just anti abortion wasn't enough The business groups and Trump all needed their pound of flesh. The only person who fit all three requirements was a slimy poo poo stain like Brett.

there's a zillion other federalist society ghouls who'd happily do the same things

the problem is that they didn't want face the humiliation of withdrawing a Supreme Court candidate despite having a GOP majority, and now that it's looking bad, it's too late to start over with someone else before the midterms

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

She deleted it. How hot was her take?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

habes's tweet is still there but the other dipshit was like how DARE you imply that i am just reprinting bullshit that the white house feeds me knowing ill print it without asking questions

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that means he totally did it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

so did the NYT get tricked into promoting a rumor about something that wasn't happening in order to distract from kavanaugh's fresh new rape allegations on purpose or on accident
does it even matter

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

so did the NYT get tricked into promoting a rumor about something that wasn't happening in order to distract from kavanaugh's fresh new rape allegations on purpose or on accident
does it even matter

tricked implies they didn't do it on purpose

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

opinion: Do Editorial Boards Have a Right to :thermidor: ?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So between Andrew Jackson and the civil war, was the media trying to find a middle ground between 'chattel slavery forever' and 'end slavery now'?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nebakenezzer posted:

So between Andrew Jackson and the civil war, was the media trying to find a middle ground between 'chattel slavery forever' and 'end slavery now'?

yep lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

does it even matter

the media loving loves to speculate about potential White House departures, and will happily grasp at any straws that lead in that direction

remember how many times the media was totally convinced that Rex Tillerson was totally about to quit/be fired?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You might as well ask if poor people have a right to live.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

habes's tweet is still there but the other dipshit was like how DARE you imply that i am just reprinting bullshit that the white house feeds me knowing ill print it without asking questions

the human centipede school of journalism

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Main Paineframe posted:

the media loving loves to speculate about potential White House departures, and will happily grasp at any straws that lead in that direction

remember how many times the media was totally convinced that Rex Tillerson was totally about to quit/be fired?

There's no greater badge of status in access journalism when you can 'report' poo poo from the White House

holy poo poo piss

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You might as well ask if poor people have a right to live.

they don't lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

need a collage of people saying you should subscribe to the NYT in 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, through some self abuse instinct, I took a recent Friedman editorial, and distilled it down for the thread's benefit. So now we can bask in Friedman's wisdom, without clicks going to the failing NYT.

Thomas. L. Friedman. : Like, gently caress, man

I’ve been fuckin’ down the past few days, watching the visit from Aunt Flo on my TV. At one point on Saturday, I remember throwing down my remote and yelling “gently caress! Is Myrtle Beach even gonna be a thing after?!?” Jury’s still out on that, but to get me off of that groove, I started thinking about that mystery editorial the NYT published a little while ago. It always pissed me off, but I had to get my zen poo poo on before I got why.

OK, so the Trumpus Doom is double-dealing, dishonest, and degraded, nothing like the modern conservative movement. The message in the editorial is “Trump is totally incompetent and unfit for office, but because we’re a bunch of pussies we’re not gonna 25th amendment him outa office, and look at all the cool conservative poo poo we’ve got done in the mean time!” poo poo’s obviously a pitch for the GOP in the midterms, who are not only facing a revolt from the electorate but of some of their own former partisans, who are disgusted how their party enables some fuckin’ senile, racist, piss-baby, just because he’s now more popular than the GOP. Hey assholes! Nobody’s gonna forgive you for collaborating! The public is not a fuckin’ T-rex that you can hide from by not movin’. If anything, we’re those little spitty dinosaurs from the second movie: we’re not much by ourselves, but when we swarm, watch the gently caress out. loving up the faces of little girls is just the hot wings before the three pitchers.

So let’s look at the ‘good’ David Brooks [ed: FFS, Tom] this anomyous author claims. Tax cuts: obviously th’ Friedman is all for these, the more the better. On the corporate side, every dollar a corporation doesn’t pay in tax is re-invested, so that in a few years that one dollar is $10 of jobs, $20 in RnD, and $270 in dividends, and everybody who’s a shareholder gets those. That’s as meritocratic as you can get, suck it DEMOCRATS! On the private side, too, every dollar the rich don’t pay in taxes allows the Tony Starks of the world to build better Iron Men suits, build more Alpha Jets, and repair the Avengers Mansion from Baron Zola’s latest attack. All that stonework and turrets an’ poo poo aint cheap. [ed note: delete all references to the private side of the tax cuts.] Destruction of Obamacare I’m more divided on: my main complaint is that the GOP was trying to destroy it without anything better to replace it with. The economy has totally turned around since Trump took office, and the stockmarket has never been better. These things are good, obviously, no complaints, though you could ask if this growth is the result of babby Tump being [inadvertently] like Calvin Coolidge. Coolidge got the gently caress out of American business’s way, and so did Trump, because his staff keeps him from royally loving up the country. [ed: delete this as it references history that does not lead in the target direction, esp as Coolidge was lazzie-fair and Trump wants to punish nations we trade with every week]

But what if all the goods were bads? What then, brah? What if the American economy is like this kid, and Trump keeps feedin’ the kid candy, and now the kid’s on a sugar high and soon he’s gonna throw up, get his Ipad and then fall asleep watching Spirit on netflix, even after I told him not to because its a girl’s show? [ed: sugar analogy is unfortunate, what with Krugman specifically pointed out that during the Obama admin the need for greater stimulus was dismissed as needless, IE ‘sugar’ and we had a lost decade because of this, and snake people are still all pissy about it.] WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

-------------------------------------------------

Please disable your ad blocker.
Advertising helps fund editorials like this.

---------------------------------------------------

Deficits are bad, because these are good times, and in good times you save, so you have plenty of money to save for the bad times. How the gently caress you think we got through the last ten years? [ed: spread out over a couple paragraphs, really clashes with planned 10 years from the financial crisis snake people essays we have planned, asks questions of the reader, once again, away from target]

You may read that and go ‘Woah, bogus dude. How can you be for massive tax cuts for the wealthy [ed note: expunge ref. To ‘wealthy’] when that must run up deficits?’ Fair question, my dude. What I wanted was for the trillion dollar budget hole to be filled with a carbon tax, a tax on sugar, and a financial transaction tax. [ed note: space this out, clarify trans. Tax is going to be undefined but ‘small’] That way we’d be subsidizing green energy, and getting rid of fat kids. [deleted: justification for transaction tax, not FAB]

The deficit according to this AP article I just goggled [TOM NOTE: IF YOU HAV TIME, FIND ORIG IMF REPORT, MAYBE TH’ KRUG HAS IT, IT IS KINDA LAZY JUST TO CITE AN AP ARTICLE B/C ITS CONCISE] and poo poo’s really bad, like the worst since LBJ was fighting the Vietnam war and trying to help the poors World of Darkness people, oRCS, [ed: suggest ‘great socitey] heh, that should frighten ‘em. The ONLY WAY TO FIGHT A DEFICIT IS BY SPENDING LESS ON INFRASTRUCTURE AND SERVICES, WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CH>ILDREN

Are you scaring your children about this? For shame if you are not, if children don’t fear the dark world chaos, they won’t act like we want [ed note: we’ve talked about this tom]

-------------------------------------------------

disable your ad blocker
YOU ARE A PARASITE ON ACCESS JOURNALISM

---------------------------------------------------

Similarly, climate change is something that TUMP is loving the dog on. We’re looking through a slender window of oppurtunity to change the direction of trends, and we gotta reach out this window with both hands and fuckin’ yank back in all the carbon we can, two fistin' that motherfucker, haulin coal and carbon fibre and poo poo like it was a window coal minors use to mine coal. That way we can avoid the world of chaos that has infected swarthy lands. All of Trump’s dog loving on climate, the withdrawal from the Paris climate accords, the grubbing for coal, the weakening of fuel economy regs after the domestic auto industry and the Obama admin worked so hard to protect their own market share via reformatting of fuel and emission regs [ed: irrelivent, not FAB] is more short term good, long term disaster. None of this is remotely in the GOP’s wheelhouse [ed note: imply, don’t say Tom, not FAB]

Now let’s talk about defense spending. Which keeps going up even though we’re not at war, The military is spending on [find out] and the USN is bad because they are spending on [something] and these other countries over here [Iran, China, Russia] are like totally not spending in the way I described in the previous paragraph. The flat earth has everybody investing in cheap and agile tech instead of expensive poo poo like the US. Cite Iran, China. Say China is doing things the smart way hot flat and crowded bitch! Multipliers of technology as multipliers of force, it;s like the inverse square rule in electric signals , but the opposite

Also what kinda rear end in a top hat is for the War on Terror when we never made Afghanistan a market-based democracy?! God that poo poo irritates me, I mean, guess what Brah, that poo poo’s inefficient! Shoulda used highly refined opiates like in Pennsylvania

[TOM NOTE METAPHOR: AMERICAN DEFENSE SPENDING IS LIKE A HAMMER TO A DROP OF MERCURY:]

it squishes it and that poo poo gets everywhere, and we could have used way less force because a drop of mercury is a liquid and

its the wrong tool for the job, mercury is usually squished by

call it ‘quicksilver’ instead
I'll circle back tuesday night

Edit: points to hit, do this tues night after game

Justification: the smartest defense analysts I know agree with me

Sum: just because you spend more money is not automatically good if you are not spending it well/the right poo poo (maybe talk to that analyst who at Fudruckers on tuesdays get quote)

The good poo poo is bad (aside from tax cuts to corporations, rich people) and it’s every good conservatives duty to point this out to other ppl in the gop

gut punch:

WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Sep 24, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol everyone is making GBS threads on them for this

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1044289414942396416

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

wow so crazy that their sources inside the facts don’t matter White House consistently give them false leads

I'm eager to hear and believe the next story based on these anonymous sources.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jose posted:

lol everyone is making GBS threads on them for this

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1044289414942396416

stop doing stenography for steve bannon says journalist doing stenography for donald trump

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lol

someone just told me that they really worried because they heard Rosenstein had been forced to resign

thanks, NYTimes, your stupid misinformation is deceiving people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/thekarami/status/1044395131300802560

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

The New York Times are loving ghouls

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

an attack that the usa is almost certainly behind

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the lazy huffpo

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1044414681933201409

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
This feels like something the writers of walking dead or Battlestar Galactica would pull to boost ratings. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/us/politics/rod-rosenstein-justice-department-trump.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/1044518585060786177

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1044570994390814720

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1044574640537055233

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1044601037884133376

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1044596129126633477

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Anne Applebaum is dog poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1044701093454925825

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
your wage is 15000/yr, however, when you factor in the 2% 401k match and the $50 towards your hsa and our share of your $200/week insurance, with benefits you're actually making 52000/yr if u think about it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im not going to bother reading the article but im pretty sure what theyre reporting is that health insurance is insanely expensive

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok i read the stupid article

quote:

The rise in nonwage benefits is not spread evenly across the work force. Jared Bernstein, an economist at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, calculated that benefit compensation has increased 15 percent since 2009 for workers in the 90th percentile of the income distribution, while workers in the 10th percentile are receiving less such compensation than they did in 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT

For the median worker, benefit compensation has increased 5 percent.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This is cropping up more and more in HR documents where they communicate like "total benefits" as your number which tots up all the things the other posters mentioned, in what's clearly an attempt to displace the Salary number in people's brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

These sons of bitches.