Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zapplez posted:

Trading Yelich for anything less than a top 10 in baseball prospect should have been veto'd by the league as operating in bad faith. Trading away a star young player with an extremely team friendly contract is so incredibly stupid.

Salary dumping Stanton as a small market team kinda made sense. Giving away Yelich was ridiculous.

Yelich wasn't a star before this year. He came into this season with a career OPS+ of 121, which right now would be joint 35th in baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Extra special thanks for giving them to the 3 teams I hate the most. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone saw Yelich blowing up like he did though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Yelich wasn't a star before this year. He came into this season with a career OPS+ of 121, which right now would be joint 35th in baseball.
Yelich had played 4 full seasons before being traded. In those seasons he put up fWAR of 4.1, 2.4, 5.5, & 4.6

Over that four year span, he was one of 25 players to put up 16+ fWAR. Only 8 of those were 26 years old or younger though.

He was an excellent young player on a very team friendly deal and the Marlins sold him for peanuts.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 24, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Yelich had played 4 full seasons before being traded. In those seasons he put up fWAR of 4.1, 2.4, 5.5, & 4.6

He was an excellent young player on a very team friendly deal and the Marlins sold him for peanuts.

They definitely could and should have got more, but a top 10 in baseball prospect would have been out of reach.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

They definitely could and should have got more, but a top 10 in baseball prospect would have been out of reach.
Why? His contract is easily $100M worth of surplus value by the most basic analysis.

It was FIVE years of potential team control (with the final year a team option) at a salary level that would break even if he put up like half a WAR a year, all for his ages 26-30 seasons.

edit: in the worst season of his career, Yelich was worth more than the $14M he is owed in his age 29 season. And he's only making $7M this year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 24, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He was a legit proven name in baseball on a super friendly deal. He absolutely should have went for a ton more.

8th in fWAR for qualified outfielders from 2013-2017. And he's one of the youngest players on that list.

Also: "Not A Star" getting MVP votes in the year 2016 and receiving the silver slugger (I know dumb award, but that means people are at least recognizing him for something). Miami has no fans, he wasn't getting the all star votes of course. Especially with Stanton there.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 24, 2018

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Yeah but was he an ALL-STAR? I didn't think so!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Derek Jeter bought a nice but high mileage used Porsche but in order to make his monthly payment had to sell off the wheels and is riding around on donuts, fills it with the lowest octane fuel it can run on and he can only afford an oil change every 30k miles.

But hey, he has his own Porsche.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when the Marlins had baseball's best outfield and traded it all away for peanuts?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Was there some kind of grift or scam at play with that trade, what the gently caress.

Or is Jeter's regime just stupid? I haven't paid any attention to them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Derek Jeter is me when I was 17 in high school and tried to convince my parents that I could totally afford to move out with another friend and live off my minimum wage part time job at the gas station because I did the budget and as long as I don't drive anywhere and spend less than $20 a week on food and only have one light bulb running for 4 hours a night I could technically make it work.

But unlike my parents MLB actually let him.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

iospace posted:

I don't think anyone saw Yelich blowing up like he did though.

I swear half the writers at Fangraphs predicted that he would, or at least that the move to a different park would give him better numbers.

To be fair to the Marlins, Brinson was a legit top 100 prospect. He just happened to turn into, uh, one of the worst players in baseball this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Was there some kind of grift or scam at play with that trade, what the gently caress.

Or is Jeter's regime just stupid? I haven't paid any attention to them.

Popete posted:

Derek Jeter is me when I was 17 in high school and tried to convince my parents that I could totally afford to move out with another friend and live off my minimum wage part time job at the gas station because I did the budget and as long as I don't drive anywhere and spend less than $20 a week on food and only have one light bulb running for 4 hours a night I could technically make it work.

I mean, Jeter is just the fall guy for the ownership group (which he should have known going in so I don't feel too bad for him) whose entire MO is to just cut costs and MLB shouldn't have let such a debt-burdened group buy the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ken Giles posted:

I’m actually enjoying the game more than I did for my entire tenure in Houston. It’s kind of weird to say that because I won a World Series with that team. But it’s like, I just felt trapped there. I didn’t feel like myself there. Overall, I felt out of place.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/timwilliamsP2/status/1044348274096975874

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what about that Orioles player, did he end up having the worst season in history?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Epic High Five posted:

what about that Orioles player, did he end up having the worst season in history?

They pulled Chris Davis so he wouldn’t qualify, I think.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pancakes posted:

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, Jeter is just the fall guy for the ownership group (which he should have known going in so I don't feel too bad for him) whose entire MO is to just cut costs and MLB shouldn't have let such a debt-burdened group buy the team.
reminder that from MLB's perspective this is a feature not a bug

they do not want ownership groups willing to spend big, particularly in major markets where the potential is there

Dodgers current spend-free ownership group was only able to buy the team because the usual MLB owner selection process was subservient to a bankruptcy auction. When the Dodgers were sold to McCourt, his wasn't even the highest bid, nor was it the best capitalized (it was almost entirely debt).

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Pancakes posted:

They benched him for a while but then they let him play again and he was less bad. Like he was still one of the worst players in baseball, but not like, record settingly bad. So far this year he has -3.2 fWAR this year which is like 4th or 5th worst ever, when at one point he was on pace for like -5.

Edit: Also

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/1044363827356196865

Huh.

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 25, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sabean rumored to be bringing back NedCo, as he wrapped up his Double Agent stint down south.

They should look at that Ethier contract carefully.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Popete posted:

I had this exact same experience.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/1044372593644527616

oh thank god

Bobby Evans was a part of, but far from the sole reason for the Giants' recent struggles. If Giants are to get back on track, the first step is to massively overhaul their drafting and development.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ammat The Ankh posted:

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/1044372593644527616

oh thank god

Bobby Evans was a part of, but far from the sole reason for the Giants' recent struggles. If Giants are to get back on track, the first step is to massively overhaul their drafting and development.

The attitude that the Giants can't risk giving a rookie the opening day job at any position or any positional security whatsoever is probably worse for the team than their drafting abilities. They've developed some talent, it's just playing for someone else because they've gotten scared a rookie will go .200/.233/.320 through the first 3 months, so they trade/make room for for a known quantity to do it instead.

See also: Various writers going "What if Steven Duggar starts the season as badly as Gorkys Hernandez did last year? The Giants can't take that risk, which is why Gorkys Hernandez is the starting center fielder."

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 25, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I would argue they also need to move the walls in. Not THAT wall, but if the Astros got rid of Tal’s Hill then the Giants can get rid of triples alley and not have to always drag LHH in kicking and screaming through team control.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Don't worry, the humidor will bring in the hitters.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NedCo back to SF pleases me greatly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

Remember when the Marlins had baseball's best outfield and traded it all away for peanuts?
Kinda hard to forget when I keep seeing Yelich for MVP articles this month

The saddest part is that on paper, the Marlins got their best return out of all the guys they dumped for Yelich. The problem is Brinson has been awful (and will basically have to keep getting ABs because there is no one else), and the other top prospects they received like Monte Harrison have not looked good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
106. History is made. :)

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/1044409716703727616?s=19

The As somehow had an opening day payroll $20 million below the Marlins

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's impossible not to root for the As.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

I would argue they also need to move the walls in. Not THAT wall, but if the Astros got rid of Tal’s Hill then the Giants can get rid of triples alley and not have to always drag LHH in kicking and screaming through team control.

AT&T is one of the prettiest parks in the majors but I wish they'd make real bullpens.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Berzerker posted:

It's impossible not to root for the As.

Yes it is spend more money you fucks

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Sure but also Let’s Go A’s

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yankees fan desperately trying to generate any sympathy for the Yankees.

Sorry but the A's rule.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rand alPaul posted:

AT&T is one of the prettiest parks in the majors but I wish they'd make real bullpens.

A call-up destroyed his neck tripping on the mounds so so maybe they’ll realize that the space under the big screen has better uses than people eating crab sandwiches amongst the kale.

I’m not super impressed that the A’s ownership has managed to pull off incredible margins into their pocket while also able to fend off fan complaints. I don’t hate them but to me being that far below CBT just looks greedy.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 25, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Craptacular! posted:

A call-up destroyed his neck tripping on the mounds so so maybe they’ll realize that the space under the big screen has better uses than people eating crab sandwiches amongst the kale.

I’m not super impressed that the A’s ownership has managed to pull off incredible margins into their pocket while also able to fend off fan complaints. I don’t hate them but to me being that far below CBT just looks greedy.

I still haven't figured out why the Rays get hosed over on attendance every year despite being decent-to-good almost every year, while the As have a cavernous stadium where the dugouts flood with shitwater and yet people still clamor for them. I want to know what sort of weird fanbase/market sorcery does that. "Small" market baseball is weird.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

I still haven't figured out why the Rays get hosed over on attendance every year despite being decent-to-good almost every year, while the As have a cavernous stadium where the dugouts flood with shitwater and yet people still clamor for them. I want to know what sort of weird fanbase/market sorcery does that. "Small" market baseball is weird.

The A’s are like 28th in attendance this season, though?

But really, A’s fans just know how to get a little drunk and have a bunch of fun. It’s honestly that simple. Catch a game in Oakland one day if you can. It’s a blast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Accident Underwater posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/1044409716703727616?s=19

The As somehow had an opening day payroll $20 million below the Marlins
$13 million of that was them eating Edinson Volquez's 2018 contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

rickiep00h posted:

A’s games during regular season can sometimes be described as, “people who also like football do their parking lot tailgating at a baseball game while football is hibernating.” It’s something they’ve got in common with Brewers fans and Dodgers fans.

You can reach O.Coli reasonably conveniently on rapid transit, there is no reasonable way to get to the Trop from what I’ve heard.

• Locked thread