Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think skeletal jerks take full damage from fists and other bashing weapons (but i am not sure). maybe try punching your way through some one-horse town to get a few Unarmed levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

I'm pretty sure they take reduced bashing damage, but it is certainly possible to take one out in melee. Make sure you have some bandages on you to stop the bleeding if you try.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The megaskeletons definitely take reduced damage from basically everything and also have a shitton of health. I've seen them almost completely shrug off grenades and dynamite.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Angry Diplomat posted:

The megaskeletons definitely take reduced damage from basically everything and also have a shitton of health. I've seen them almost completely shrug off grenades and dynamite.

Yep, I savescummed a fight against two of them to see what worked (then let my char die with honor)

Scimitar with 7/7 skill: barely scratched one before dying, let alone two.

Pistol, Rifle, 3/3 skill, AP rounds: miserable

C4: basically no damage to either (took several throws to get one close enough to call)

Car: didn't have to be going too fast, 30 mph seemed to kill them reliably

Aluminum bat with 7/2 skill: very good! This was more like fighting a brute in melee; thrown a few times but they still died

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I still like this game, but man, some of the recent changes are so fuckin' spergy and stupid, the deafness one for example.

My character went deaf from a mininuke on Day 1, so I figured I'd just tough it out and let it come back on its own.

Day 9 and I still couldn't hear, so I figured I'd look in the save file to see how many turns left of deafness I have to go.

Duration 11133335. 11,133,335 turns...

Since each turn is 6 seconds, that would have been 1288 game days until I got my hearing back if I hadn't just edited the save

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 3, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kayle7 posted:

Since each turn is 6 seconds, that would have been 1288 game days until I got my hearing back if I hadn't just edited the save
:psyduck:
What the gently caress? Surely there's some way to treat that, right?
I feel like this is definitely, at the very least, a system that should be transparent in-game. Some flag of "traumatic hearing loss" that needs medical attention or will basically never come back.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If there's anything that would do it, it's a mini nuke. I accidentally concussion grenaded myself at point blank and was only deaf for a day.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I confess I haven't been keeping up very well. Some of the cool-sounding new features like auto-sorting, NPC-run home bases you can build, that kinda stuff, are those in the main/experimental release yet? Or are they just in the works still?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Trip report from the latest experimentals:

The good news; they fixed not being able to defrost clean water that had become frozen.

The bad news; They still haven't fixed not being able to defrost food with a charged cooking unit and hotplate. Hope you like keeping a brazier on your person and starting fires all winter!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

reignofevil posted:

Trip report from the latest experimentals:

The good news; they fixed not being able to defrost clean water that had become frozen.

The bad news; They still haven't fixed not being able to defrost food with a charged cooking unit and hotplate. Hope you like keeping a brazier on your person and starting fires all winter!

I'm able to use a hotplate? Or at least a vehicle-mounted chemlab('s hotplate)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I haven't ran across a chemlab yet so its possible that works but a kitchen unit is definitely not working for me for making frozen food not frozen anymore.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I just did so the other day but my versions a few days old?

Rip cannibal SWAT man, the game crashing made you not worth the frustration to get that MBT back up and running again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It is possible this is an artifact from me carrying over an older save?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

reignofevil posted:

It is possible this is an artifact from me carrying over an older save?

Try using a pan in the presence of a hotplate?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah its done through a pan or pot not the hotplate or item itself

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay so I've got a hotplate with 200 charge in my inventory and I'm activating the pot to reheat the food. No dice. Almost certain this is just a weird save juju thing at this point.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 6, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Do you not have to use the hotplate while having access to the pot, as opposed to the other way around?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i just want everyone to take a moment to appreciate how insane it is that this conversation is happening right now

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do you not have to use the hotplate while having access to the pot, as opposed to the other way around?

Holy loving poo poo that worked

Now I can defrost my cake and eat it too!

Edit- further testing shows at the kitchen unit works the same way. Select it and select 'use the hotplate' with access to a pan or pot. Angry Diplomat you've put out the great fire that threatened to consume everything in its path with your honeyed words :)

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 6, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

lmao yeah, the interface in this game is a bit of a clusterfuck. Go forth and eat TV dinners or whatever

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just started playing this again after years and decided I am finally going to get a manborg out of the labs. I've done killed about a hundred of them and have grown to hate naked mole rats.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The viking start is amazingly easy holy poo poo. Just go around smacking things for 35-50 dmg a pop with your battle axe and shield. Comes with a backpack too.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Bad Day or nothing

Cataclysm's at its best when you're gathering a pack of NPCs and making mutagen on an industrial scale to turn your group into a post-human zombie slaughtering mutant horde
Also having a tank covered in autolaserturrets is a pretty good time as well Experimental has a bug, if you 'refill' a vehicle's minireactor (using one plutonium), you can then 'unload' it for 10000 pu

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 8, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ive started doing rando starts because otherwise it gets too formulaic and easy. Viking start was one ofe those and its fun but not challenging

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I usually cheese the really bad day start so I can make my ~perfect character who just so happens to have my name~ but hopefully someday I can join the ranks of people actually playing the game properly

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Anyone know what this means and how to fix? I open CDDA, it immediately quits with this:

Latest macOS

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Downloaded from here:

http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/OSX/Tiles/

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Good news: Someone took MXotto and updated it

Bad news: The default hairstyle looks like hot garbage, the hairstyle mod your'e supposed to use with it works for like 1% of people, and that 1% acts like a bunch of assholes when you ask them how they got it to work. The discord continues to be a gaggle of elitists.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was insanely confused for a second before I remembered that there are people who don't use the Retro chipset.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was insanely confused for a second before I remembered that there are people who don't use the Retro chipset.
I really want to use the retro tileset because it's so compact and visually pleasing, plus you see more of the field at once. But I'm used to my tiles, and there's just too many graphics I've come to rely on.
That and cars look way more inscrutable in Retro.

All that said, if I could do it over again I'd use Retro to begin with and learn it that way.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, compact retro tiles are really good, easier to parse than text, but not as big and flashy as the other tilesets.

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Kevin is continuing to do everything he can to turn this game into an unfun mess.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/25582
A contributor creates a pull request to add short lived flight for bird mutants to give players a reason to play them.
Kevin responds:

"If you really want a bird mutant to fly, it needs to go full bird. That means ditching the arms, so no crafting or most tool use, ditching the heavily muscled legs, so no running or long distance walking, along with the other things I outlined.
At that point, yes, real flight would be feasible, at the cost of pretty much every other player ability."

"I'm not haggling, what I outlined is the most I'll accept.
To recap:
If the player keeps human-typical abilities like wearing clothes, crafting, running, then flight requires:
the full spectrum of weight and size reducing mutations
Flight is an extreme hit on stamina, at least 4x the rate of running
Load on hunger and thirst is extreme as well
Flight is limited to an extended jump type action
If the player additionally sacrifices:
Ability to wear most clothes (the only exception I can think off hand is something like a harness, but there are probably a few others)
Ability to craft.
Then that might justify continuous flight."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That most important feature in this 2d game: continuous flight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also there are birds that are capable of short hops, but not continuous flight, so this is once again one of those cases where "I assume I know how the world works and any evidence to the contrary is unrealistic".

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That most important feature in this 2d game: continuous flight.

In the PR the author mentioned that it would require experimental z-levels to be enabled.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also there are birds that are capable of short hops, but not continuous flight, so this is once again one of those cases where "I assume I know how the world works and any evidence to the contrary is unrealistic".

Freaking nerds and their interpretation of realism.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On the bright side, they did just add bike racks to stow one vehicle onto another.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/9isldf/public_service_announcement_bike_racks_are_thing/

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Kevin is so weird about a game with interdimensional monsters and zombies. I really don't get it. IT's like what he really wants is an in the woods survival game, but can't just go off and make his own, or re purpose the code base to make his own entirely different thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Kevin is so weird about a game with interdimensional monsters and zombies. I really don't get it. IT's like what he really wants is an in the woods survival game, but can't just go off and make his own, or re purpose the code base to make his own entirely different thing.

even if this is something he's consciously attempting he can't say it out loud because people will just point him at unreal world, an innawoods game which already exists, uses much the same interface, and is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
No you don't understand I just want a hardcore innawoods survival game with cool content adjacent but inaccessible, those who inject themselves with squid genes or use a laser rifle are playing the game WRONG. What do you mean I hate fun?!?!