Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gawn and Grundy polling a combined 1 vote per round, umpires are utterly hosed in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Gawn and Grundy polling a combined 1 vote per round, umpires are utterly hosed in the head

I'm shocked to learn this

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I'm surprised I'm more annoyed at Grundy getting such a complete lack of recognition from the umpires, that's a joke

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also what the gently caress is up with these Clive Palmer ads

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Dusty mentioned he was going to buy the Cotchins a Range Rover if he won the brownlow, low and behold a Land Rover ad in the next break.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Daisy Pearce is nervous as hell. Not having a great night.

Would like to see Steele win, his last few rounds were good

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Brayshaw 3rd runner up out of nowhere lol

That said Gawn was BOG against West Coast in Rd 22 and didn't get max votes, umpires hosed, etc

e: Brayshaw wasn't even invited!

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 24, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Mitchell is simultaneously the least damaging footballer in the competition and also single handedly kept Hawthorn's midfield afloat. I call this... a wasted chance to give Gawn the Brownlow.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tom Mitchell*

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hawthorn win the VFL premiership, and have the Brownlow medalist.

I'd call that a good season.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I reckon every ruckman in the comp should be given a 10 vote head start.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hawthorn win the VFL premiership, and have the Brownlow medalist.

I'd call that a good season.

VFL and VFL-W thank you very much.

I also like how Tom Mitchell keeps talking about preparation less than 5 minutes after admitting his old "night before game" meal was:
- a box of BBQ Shapes
- Starburst
- something else equally unhealthy

Nutsngum posted:

Mitchell is simultaneously the least damaging footballer in the competition and also single handedly kept Hawthorn's midfield afloat. I call this... a wasted chance to give Gawn the Brownlow.

Last year was entirely just stat-padding, this year it's just mostly stat-padding.
(He is definitely more damaging this year and while it felt like he was playing for a mysterious third team for large stretches of last year, he has definitely merged his gamestyle with what Clarko and the coaches have planned for him more this year IMHO)

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 24, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss

I love you Tom!!!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Pizza shapes aren't even that good

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

snaeksikn posted:

Pizza shapes aren't even that good
They’re really good, barbecue is second, the rest are mediocre except savoury which are gross.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Chicken Crimpy are the best, don't @ me

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Starburst are delicious

EDIT: Barbecue, then Chicken Crimpy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm still astounded the Swans traded him on so easily since I was rating him even then.

(Although Hawks-Swans trades tend to be win-win, with particular exception which was more the AFL's fault anyway)

I think, yeah, last year it seemed like a lot of his possessions were flung into the breeze like confetti but this year they've had more purpose to them.

Also O'Meara who was far less of a spud this year, also got a few votes tonight. (People can probably remember how vexed I was by that trade.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also I'm trying to remember which one of those dry biscuit things gave me the itches big time. I don't think it was the Shapes ones (but they're all meh frankly), I think it was those bastard In-A-Bisket things.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Those were (are?) a rather lame snack.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm still astounded the Swans traded him on so easily since I was rating him even then.

I'm not. The Swans value purposeful and direct possessions in their midfield.

Mitchell is like Rockliff and Matt Crouch, a low damage accumulator. They have their place on a football field, but are vastly overrated based on nothing more than total possessions. Didn't deserve the medal, but hardly surprising that he won it given the "midfielders medal", general brain dead nature of the umpires, and the football media who propelled the narrative.

I mean, if I was picking from the league to make a balanced, competitive midfield, Mitchell wouldn't be in it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 24, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Mitchell is like Rockliff and Matt Crouch, a low damage accumulator. They have their place on a football field, but are vastly overrated based on nothing more than total possessions. Didn't deserve the medal, but hardly surprising that he won it given the "midfielders medal", general brain dead nature of the umpires, and the football media who propelled the narrative.

Shut up you salty nerd. The narrative the media propelled all year was the same bullshit you just regurgitated.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

I mean, if I was picking from the league to make a balanced, competitive midfield, Mitchell wouldn't be in it.

hahahaha sorry about your night

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

He fell into the same situation as John Kennedy had in the late-2000s at Hawthorn. There wasn't a Mitchell shaped hole in the Sydney midfield until after he'd been traded.

IMHO, his contributions this year have been massive and he's been the midfield workhorse. O'Meara has grown immensely as a player, Isaac Smith has had impressive run and carry and Liam Shiels provides more than he will likely ever get credit for but the Hawks don't sniff the finals if Mitchell isn't in the squad. Go back and look at the time line-up for the Semi-final vs Melbourne. Take Mitchell out of that midfield and replace him with Jono O'Rourke. Tell me how far you think that midfield is going to get.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good to see jumping in the air to elbow someone in the head gets you a charlie

LOL @ Melbourne for not rating Brayshaw to not invite him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Quantum Shart posted:

Good to see jumping in the air to elbow someone in the head gets you a charlie

LOL @ Melbourne for not rating Brayshaw to not invite him.

The AFL sends the invites, not the clubs

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Nutsngum posted:

An eagles supporter with the "gently caress little team" mentality? Oh how rare and unique.

Way to take a joke seriously you petulant twat.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Diet Crack posted:

Way to take a joke seriously you petulant twat.

Are you blissfully unaware how many of your slack jawed compatriots often and seriously call for teams like St Kilda and doggies etc.. to simply fold to "make the competition better"? It really wears loving thin after a while.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Hahahaha you salty peanut. We very likely wouldn't have made finals without him. That's how valuable he is. Don't tell me he didn't deserve the medal.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hahahaha you salty peanut. We very likely wouldn't have made finals without him. That's how valuable he is. Don't tell me he didn't deserve the medal.

You can make a really strong argument that Mitchell was the best midfielder, but both Gawn and Grundy has better years.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Mitchell shouldn't have got it cause he should have been suspended for intentionally elbowing a player in the face.

Also the umpires shouldn't be the ones voting on this. Just make it the coaches votes as they are clearly in the best position to decide it.

Those are my hot takes. Thanks for reading.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is all very good

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Mitchell shouldn't have got it cause he should have been suspended for intentionally elbowing a player in the face.

Also the umpires shouldn't be the ones voting on this. Just make it the coaches votes as they are clearly in the best position to decide it.

Those are my hot takes. Thanks for reading.

I'm assuming you know who won the CA "Champion player" this year then.

Fun fact: the coaches have awarded Gerard Whateley "Best Journo" 4 years in a row.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schlesische posted:

I'm assuming you know who won the CA "Champion player" this year then.

Fun fact: the coaches have awarded Gerard Whateley "Best Journo" 4 years in a row.

quote:

97 Max Gawn (MELB)
91 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
88 Tom Mitchell (HAW)
82 Brodie Grundy (COLL)
72 Dayne Beams (BL)
72 Jack Macrae (WB)
72 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
70 Dustin Martin (RICH)
70 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
68 Dyson Heppell (ESS)

:confused:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mitchell absolutely should have been suspended for elbowing Goldstein in the head because he had to jump off the ground to do it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The Brownlow is very silly

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Fox footy are saying Brayshaw had never previously polled Brownlow votes before this year, meaning his first year of getting votes had him finishing 3rd in the overall count

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mitchell finished second last year so that’s good news for Brayshaw’s chances in the future.

The Brownlow is what it is. It isn’t necessarily the best player, and it will never be taken off the umpires. It isn’t going to change. All that can happen is people try to glitz up one of the other awards.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Should have given to Gaff to lift his spirits mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Fox footy are saying Brayshaw had never previously polled Brownlow votes before this year, meaning his first year of getting votes had him finishing 3rd in the overall count

He’s easy to pick out cause of the helmet