Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

baka kaba posted:

This might be the place for it anyway, but we have a thread of sorts

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a desktop machine, so shouldn't be any issue with power (although I wouldn't put it past Windows to think that there is, so I'll double check to be sure). Have gone through a checklist of things to enable/disable, and nothing has made a difference. It's so odd.

There's been this issue with the Creator's Update, I'd link to a Microsoft page but they won't even let you look at their community site without logging in so fuuuuuck that

https://appuals.com/slow-wifi-issues-after-installing-creators-update/

Far as I can tell the troubleshooter link is the same one MS links to, put I just did the powershell commands anyway. Might help!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried everything up to the Intel driver part (I couldn't get the command to recognize and I have to get some work finished), but no joy. I'm getting the same results on both the wired and wireless adapters, so I don't think anything that targets an individual one is the answer sadly. Tried logging into another account on the computer (was inherited from a coworker) and same results on that. It's super odd. My desktop sharing has barely worked today, so I know it must be new as that's never been an issue before.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh sorry, thought you were saying your ethernet connection was running ok but the wireless wasn't :shobon:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah my bad, I'm good at not making things obvious. Added a clarification line to the bottom.

It's been a rough day for IT here, I left the office last night with everything working and unbeknownst to me the contractor came in afterwards to rig the network up in a better way than it was, so of course my morning was spent with pretty much nothing working. My 12 months of "well this machine can't ever remember the servers credentials, but if I make a batch file here using 'net use' and the IPC$ share, that'll at least tide us over' has come to an end, so I'm sure I'll be digging out install discs next week to get that thing up and running again. Sigh. It's always Fridays.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I regularly have windows 10 updates fail to install for some reason, but it doesn't happen to all of them and it also usually works after 1 retry. I can't think of anything I have installed that could make this happen except O&O shutup. Is there some setting that's known to make this happen and should I be worried

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was playing around with RAMMap and noticed it has a section for large pages (which was empty), which made me wonder... Linux uses transparent huge pages by default, which results in a smaller page table and faster look-ups. Does Windows do the same?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Installed fresh Windows, due to new SSD.
- Took four attempts to finally not get stuck at readying files.
- After the first attempt, I noticed that it didn't create the recovery partition and poo poo on the new drive. Glad I spotted it, for when I'm eventually yanking the old one in far future. Had to disconnect the old one.
- Asks me about region and keyboard layout on the first setup stage, then promptly forgets about it in second.
- Didn't let me skip the PIN creation.

Goddamn Microsoft.

--edit:
The SATA SSD doesn't show after reconnecting. Well, ain't that swell.
--edit:
loving default fast startup doesn't notice SATA changes between shutdowns. Disabling it fixed things. Coincidentally it also boots faster without fast startup, despite NVMe drive.

--edit:
The updates to the UWP apps are hogging my bandwidth now. Mail and Calendar being 230MB? The Photos app being 300MB? What?

Also, why the gently caress is Candy Crush et al still downloading, despite clicking Uninstall a thousand times in the start menu? Another couple of hundred MBs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 24, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:
The SATA SSD doesn't show after reconnecting. Well, ain't that swell.
--edit:
loving default fast startup doesn't notice SATA changes between shutdowns. Disabling it fixed things. Coincidentally it also boots faster without fast startup, despite NVMe drive.

Fast startup assumes no hardware changes between boots and skips the vast majority of the old POST process.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EL BROMANCE posted:

My business is small, so our setup is super basic. As of today (or maybe a few days, but I'm sure it's only recently) my PC will only get a fraction of the speed of anything else connected to the network. No fancy firewalls, just a Comcast gateway that I have access to and appears to be default and not flagged my machine for any particular reason. There's a smart switch I'm trying to get access to as well (I tend to handle most in house IT hiccups, anything beyond my abilities gets outsourced) that only got installed yesterday, however I'm getting the same issue when I connect via ethernet or over 2.4 and 5ghz, which would bypass it. I can sit in the same spot with my phone and pull down way more over the wireless.

So I'm guessing it's something to do with Windows. Comcast engineer was pulling 170mbit on my ethernet cable, other people in the building see around 60mbit down, I'm currently hitting 4-5mbit. Upstream is fine, I'm maxing the connection at 20mbit. Anything obvious I should be looking at? Have both rebooted, cold booted, and I believe there were a few updates that needed running from the last week or so which I let through.

clarification: both ethernet and wifi suck.

code:
Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name "<wifi adapter name, usually just Wi-Fi>"
Give that a try for shits and giggles

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that fix came up in a link someone posted, did nothing sadly. My plan of leaving the computer cold over the weekend didn’t work either.

Not that it matters, because today my day has been taking up with the machine that’s been handed down between users that no longer sees the server on the network. “Fresh Install” in Microsoft Defender, why this will be the answer thinks I. Yeah, no. It appears to have included an update from February that completely breaks USB input so now it’s just sitting there like a lemon. And UEFI means I can’t force to safe, but three striking it to Repair Mode doesn’t bring anything up either so that probably wouldn’t help anyway. I’ll probably have to fish out a USB stick tomorrow and see if that gets around it all.

The only solace has been reading QA threads on tech net and the like of the same issue, and people saying ‘just type this’ or ‘uninstall this’ for the original complainer to be like ‘can’t you loving read, I can’t click or type anything you muppet’.

I hate computers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If your USB input is broke it's time to find an old PS/2 keyboard! Even brand new motherboards have one of those ports left on them, though they're usually a combination keyboard/mouse port so you'll have to decide which one you need more as it doesn't support hot plugging.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

isndl posted:

If your USB input is broke it's time to find an old PS/2 keyboard! Even brand new motherboards have one of those ports left on them, though they're usually a combination keyboard/mouse port so you'll have to decide which one you need more as it doesn't support hot plugging.

Those old USB->PS/2 adapters should work too, right? I usually keep one around for emergencies.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

Those old USB->PS/2 adapters should work too, right? I usually keep one around for emergencies.

They never worked when I tried them, but the last time I tried was maybe ten or fifteen years ago. Your mileage may vary. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Most of the cheap USB keyboard to PS/2 keyboard port adapters out there were ones that came with specific keyboard models, which switch the keyboard into a mode where it sends PS/2 signal out of the port. You need fancier active adapters to be sure you can plug in any random USB keyboard you have now into a PS/2 port.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Edit: somehow I managed to post to a wrong thread. Sorry!

isndl
May 2, 2012
Today I got to deal with Win10's helpful printer interface that offers zero ability to manually install printer drivers. Automatic installation installed a Store app that didn't do anything, and the Printers page showed an error while hitting Manage just let me look at the scanner settings.

Eventually I figured that you could pull up the old Devices and Printers view through the Device Manager (they seem to have stripped out every other way of getting to it) but man what a shitshow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hit the start button, type control and hit enter and the old control panel will pop up.

Under hardware and sound click view devices and printers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Either windows has the worst print subsystem ever coded or printer manufactures are the worst coders ever. One of these things must be true.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Why not both? :shobon:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, Microsoft declared the RemoteFX 3D vGPU for Hyper-V as obsolete and doesn't let me add it to new VMs in 1809. Researching about this stuff, I get this nice quote:

quote:

We're developing new graphics acceleration options for virtualized environments.
I don't know, Microsoft, it might be a nice idea to release the new stuff first, before disabling the old features. But I guess that's not how you roll anymore.

--edit:
Also, I have intermittent graphics freezes on my rig. I guess it might be an idea for you guys to hold off 1809 for a while.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 27, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just loaded 1809. Groove Music works well for me now which is nice. As does the Photos program. No graphical anything wrong with my box, no freezes. Using a 1070 with the latest nvidia drivers.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So 1809 is almost here, you guys pumped for Dark theme for Windows Explorer? Well...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man that's a nice Windows moment.

I feel like they have these stupid fuckups so they can point to it as a reason they don't want to change/update other things. Like I never understood why the Settings.. app(?) doesn't have as many things that the control panel used to (and still does) control. Or why they removed it from the jump list or whatever it's called when you right click start. Like, it's treating control panel like a legacy/deprecated program but offering no actual replacement. Then I'm worried that when/if they ever finally finish putting all the settings in the SETTINGS app, they'll forget the one I need to gently caress with to reset my network adapter or something.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
That's a joke right? I mean come on, it can't be that bad can it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

jokes posted:

Like, it's treating control panel like a legacy/deprecated program but offering no actual replacement.
They're practically doing it with a lot of things. The UWP replacements of previous applications are way less featured. Or on rare occasions, just removing core features altogether and promising a replacement later on.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

That's a joke right? I mean come on, it can't be that bad can it?

No that isn't right as usual. Explorer windows are fine, completely dark. That uninstall a program dialog is actually totally white. Not dark, but not fugly.

quote:

While dark mode can be applied to modern XAML components in Windows quite easily, File Explorer contains legacy UI frameworks which don’t plug into that infrastructure automatically. With File Explorer, we were literally breaking new ground to provide a dark theme to legacy parts of the shell. We also needed to be careful to only change File Explorer (and the Common File Dialog) and not change common controls generally, which could break a lot of app experiences (such as making dark text in an app unreadable).

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing how each successive feature version has had logarithmically fewer new features I care about than the last.

At this point I'm just upgrading day 1 to preempt the annoying restart dialog rather than to see what new things Microsoft are beta testing now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't notice missing features. Can you give an example?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I hope someone at Microsoft hires this guy.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

redeyes posted:

I don't notice missing features. Can you give an example?
Other than dark theme, which isn’t?

Or Sets? Again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tapedump posted:

Other than dark theme, which isn’t?

Or Sets? Again.

Timeline? So drat useless. Does anyone use it for anything?! I can't even find sets if its in here.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Everyone panic, it's out.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone taken Your Phone out for a spin? I switched to macOS from Windows for work, then an iPhone X from a Pixel because of how convenient iMessages integration is for sending SMS/MMS/group text on the desktop. I'm really hoping Your Phone is a competent take on that, I wouldn't mind going back to Android and Windows.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is zero chance that the Your Phone will do anything on apple phones. Android though, you can finally use Messages on the desktop and phone at the same time.. but it's dumb. The phone basically relays to the Messages part of your google account. And I don't think you can log in more than one computer at a time. For me its still all about hangouts.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wow, this version is so new it showed me the "What's New" webpage for the April Update when it started. And also where the link for it under updates take me.

Had to go into the Tips app nobody uses to see what the difference are. Turns out it's dumb bullcrap I'll never use, like usual, yay.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, what the hell does "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" mean? Because it's preventing the update from going through on my laptop.

Is this the same problem that kept grub from being able to install on the machine when I tried to dual-boot install Mint? Goddamn it, I don't want to have to pave this machine again after just three months.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It usually means the system partition is too small. I had that on my first feature update because I still had a 100MB partition from Windows 7. It should be 450-500MB.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghostlight posted:

It usually means the system partition is too small. I had that on my first feature update because I still had a 100MB partition from Windows 7. It should be 450-500MB.

Okay, I let Win10 1803 installer do it's thing on a paved drive, so that's Windows' fuckup, but whatever, how do I expand it, Disk Management is greying the option out on that partition, and I have 50GB worth of unallocated space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If that's the case you're better off ignoring it.

You can only resize partitions to include space directly on their right-side, so you would have to clone your drive off, remove the partition, resize the system reserved partition, recreate the OS partition then clone your drive back on.