Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Scott808 posted:

Is this a random brand stone which are found all over Amazon?

Sorry, forgot i posted in this thread. Its a Vogue brand - friend who ran a kitchen at a masons lodge (i.e. virtually unlimited kitchen budget with gently caress all oversight - why yes, i would like a 2kg log of wagyu eye fillet and a whetstone for free) gave it to me as a present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jose posted:

i hit the tip of my tojiro ITK santoku against my honing rod and it snapped off :qq:

at least it wasn't a tortilla chip.

Get some sandpaper to grind out a new tip from the spine down.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

What kind of knife is this that Brad Leone uses? I've seen some large cleavers or butcher knives that look close but they all seem to have a more curved edge.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Looks like one of the Almazan Kitchen knives, or similar.

https://youtu.be/0belIwAzgIM

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
He mentions that specific knife is an out of production model in one of the videos I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got a double sided whetstone, one side is 1000 grit, the other is 6000. They are not labeled but one side feels more... not rough exactly but more friction. Am I correct that side is the 1000 and the smoother is the 6000?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lower number = rougher surface

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I bought a thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is $383.33 good for two used Tomishin knives? A 210 and 150mm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dunno but those handless are full metal I think.

totalnewbie posted:

I bought a thing.

Nice!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just get an oyster shell and make your own knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyIS0k_ozQ

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Is $383.33 good for two used Tomishin knives? A 210 and 150mm

Those look a lot like Brietos under another label. Seems like the core steel is the ubiquitous unspecified "Mo-V" steel.

If these are the two knives (210mm gyuto, 150mm petty)
http://www.tomishin.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=119
http://www.tomishin.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=127
then they're about $376 new for both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good to know, thanks. If I’m reading that right, the steel has 63 layers? Cause that’s what my friend’s knife has

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone suggest to me a 1000/6000 stone? I've never sharpened a knife before and my knives are stupidly dull. I can literally press my thumb on my knives up and down the blade and not be cut. Amazon would be great.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://smile.amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538106538&sr=8-1&keywords=shapton+1000

https://smile.amazon.com/Houcho-com...s=kitayama+8000

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat that poo poo is pricey. Do you think it's a good idea for me to start off with something so high?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You could try ordering from amazon.co.jp but I'm not sure how much international shipping will cost you. I got a Shapton 320, 1000, and the Kitayama 8000 for about 90 bucks total, not including shipping.

If you've got nice knives then you might as well spring for stones because you only buy them once, basically.

Or, you could get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE

Or just get one of the cheap pull-through sharpeners. Not great for your knives and they don't get all that sharp, but they are much cheaper.

edit: Forgot to mention, you could probably do okay with just a 1000. If it's really that dull, maybe you want a coarser stone as well, but generally a 1000 edge is good enough for cooking.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 28, 2018

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Good to know, thanks. If I’m reading that right, the steel has 63 layers? Cause that’s what my friend’s knife has

Yeah, that's what it says.

obi_ant posted:

drat that poo poo is pricey. Do you think it's a good idea for me to start off with something so high?

You asked earlier in the thread about a stone to practice on "crappy kitchen knives" and you just said you've never sharpened before. IMO start off with cheap but good quality and figure out if you even want to commit time to learning the skill before you go off buying more expensive stuff (and possibly getting frustrated, quitting, and not using it).

I think a good inexpensive starting point is something like a Norton Crystolon or Norton India.

They're inexpensive and you can still get a quite sharp edge off of them - certainly sharp enough to make your arms hairless and cut newspaper.

And if you decide you want to go further into sharpening they still work just fine for doing grunt work like restoring chipped off tips or establishing a new edge on a very dull knife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Lower number = rougher surface

That's what I figured, just wanted to sanity check. Found a nice lovely knife to practice on before I risk my good ones, time to learn.

This is the 1000/6000 stone I got, it was the one recommended on Junskitchen's knife video and I figured he knows what he's doing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DT1X9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

King 1k is aok but I've yet to use their 6k

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This bevel that people talk about when moving to one side to the next is so hard to feel, I literally have to close my eyes and move across so slowly. My knives are getting sharper, but not nearly close enough to cutting hair. Does the high grit make it sharper? Like 1k to 6k to 8k?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yes, though 6k to 8k is probably not noticeable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stainless Steel Butcher Knife $11 Shipped - by LuxDecor

Is this any good? Good enough to be babby's first butcher knife? Or should I run far far away?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It doesn't hurt to have a 9$ beater but imho just swing by an Asian grocer for your first. I'd also not trust an ambiguous steel hacking at bone but it's probably Chinese 304a or w/e tool steel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what's the best option for an inexpensive chinese cleaver these days? namaste

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

what's the best option for an inexpensive chinese cleaver these days? namaste
I use this one daily: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HESNR8/

I know it's technically not the best knife in the world, but it holds an edge for ages, has nice balance, is sturdy as hell, and costs less than some burritos.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SubG made a bunch of posts about cheap chinese cleavers earlier this year.

I got this one (SBZ 210-1) that's $23 at Aliexpress and it's been great so far. They have a huge selection of similar Chinese knives that are pretty solid for the price.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Ror posted:

SubG made a bunch of posts about cheap chinese cleavers earlier this year.

I got this one (SBZ 210-1) that's $23 at Aliexpress and it's been great so far. They have a huge selection of similar Chinese knives that are pretty solid for the price.

Just grabbed one of these too ended up being less than :20bux: with a coupon. Had been eyeing a CCK for a long time but couldn't stomach the price increase. Looking forward to it showing up in a couple weeks after I've forgotten about it and being surprised. You're welcome future me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Victorinox 8" chefs knife is $30 on amazon right now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

wormil posted:

Victorinox 8" chefs knife is $30 on amazon right now.

Link

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hi thread, what are your opinions on traveling with knives? I like to stay in places that have kitchens (ie. Airbnb or VRBO or whatever), but they consistently have terrible knives are so dull they're dangerous to use. Right now my old Opinel lives in my duffel bag for when I find myself in a poorly equipped kitchen, but I'd like to find a better solution. My thinking is currently going in two directions and I'm curious to hear if anyone has thoughts or experience with either.

First – a knife bag. Probably the most obvious choice. I have a handful of old knives that have worked their way out of my everyday rotation as I've slowly replaced them with better knives, but they're still plenty sharp and would work for travel. However my concern is size – I want to be able to throw a bag of 2 or 3 knives (at most) into a checked bag and not have it take up a huge amount of space. Any ideas? Maybe a sheath that's big enough for a single, basic chef's knife is a better option?

Second – a folding chef's knife. This is my preferred option if one actually exists. I already do 70% of my work with a single 7 inch santoku, so if I could find something that folds with a similar blade, that would be awesome. I wouldn't be able to carry a couple of knives, of course, but I'd have far less bulk to deal with when packing. I've seen the A.G. Russel folding cook's knife II and the SpydieChef, but they both have shorter blades than I'd prefer.

Any opinions?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pack one of these boys and just sharpen one. good knives may be stolen in a checked bag.

https://www.amazon.com/DMT-WM8FC-WB...K9SMP0AKVPR649P

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I've considered bringing a sharpener of some sort along in the past, but I'd still run into situations where the knives on hand are simply so crappy that they're not at all usable, even with sharpening. Case in point: on my last trip the apartment I stayed at had only butter knives and a single, super cheap serrated paring knife that someone had dulled to the point where the serrations wouldn't cut anything.

Still, that looks like a handy, low-profile sharpening setup. Valid point re: good knives getting stolen, I hadn't considered that. :(

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Have a small 5 pocket knife roll that mostly use for car camping with an old Victorinox chef/pairing knifes, a thin fish turner and some tongs. Nothing I'd care about losing and that's kind of the kitchen go bag for travel or staying with someone where there's going to be cooking done and don't know/trust their stuff. It's pretty small and easy to jam in a bag/suitcase. Listed dimensions when closed are 19.5"L x 5.25"W x 1"D to give an idea on size.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Hi thread, what are your opinions on traveling with knives? I like to stay in places that have kitchens (ie. Airbnb or VRBO or whatever), but they consistently have terrible knives are so dull they're dangerous to use. Right now my old Opinel lives in my duffel bag for when I find myself in a poorly equipped kitchen, but I'd like to find a better solution. My thinking is currently going in two directions and I'm curious to hear if anyone has thoughts or experience with either.

First – a knife bag. Probably the most obvious choice. I have a handful of old knives that have worked their way out of my everyday rotation as I've slowly replaced them with better knives, but they're still plenty sharp and would work for travel. However my concern is size – I want to be able to throw a bag of 2 or 3 knives (at most) into a checked bag and not have it take up a huge amount of space. Any ideas? Maybe a sheath that's big enough for a single, basic chef's knife is a better option?

Second – a folding chef's knife. This is my preferred option if one actually exists. I already do 70% of my work with a single 7 inch santoku, so if I could find something that folds with a similar blade, that would be awesome. I wouldn't be able to carry a couple of knives, of course, but I'd have far less bulk to deal with when packing. I've seen the A.G. Russel folding cook's knife II and the SpydieChef, but they both have shorter blades than I'd prefer.

Any opinions?

That A.G. Russel folding knife looks pretty awesome. Has anyone used something like that before? Yeah, its a little short, but I think it would be great for camping etc.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'd just take the chinese cleaver. who cares if it gets stolen, and if you're camping you can use it to split kindling and drive in tent stakes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

poverty goat posted:

I'd just take the chinese cleaver.

I went ahead and bought the cheap cleaver posted earlier in this thread.

Not as heavy as I'd imagined, but heavy enough. Need to put a bevel on it, I suppose. Don't really know how to do that. :confuoot:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Bought one of these per thread recommendation. Was getting a little tired of my nine-inch Tojiro gyuto and I had been admiring the one my chef at work has. Plus I only paid like $20 after the first-time-shopper $4 coupon aliexpress gives you.

Did some light chopping with it last night and was very pleased. As long as your knife-handling skills are adequate, you can just let the weight of the blade do the work and it mows through veggies in no time. I had no idea that my ideal knife was a big flat rectangle with an edge on one side. Put it away wet like a goddamn dingus and came back to find some rust on it this morning, so I scrubbed it off and gave it a light coat of vegetable oil and it's looking quite handsome. Worth noting these things are sharp as gently caress out of the box, which is nice.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Funny because with mine the blade was not at all sharp out of the box and was all kinds of chipped up. A trip to a professional got it all sorted out though and since then it's an absolute beast, I can't use any other chef knife at this point and sold my old Wustov because it just wasn't getting used anymore.

I do wish it was a bit lighter though because it's a brick, but it hasn't been too much of an issue in the few months that I've owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Mine showed up in the mail today. Haven't used it yet but no chips or anything on the edge. Handle could use a little oil though. When it comes time to touch up the edge what angle should I be looking at? Treat it like a nakiri?