Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lysidas posted:

so some linux kernel devs/contributors are apparently threatning to pull the license grant for the code they contributed to the kernel, over the new coc

https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/

poking around that site i notice that they appear to filter 'gently caress' the same way as is done here either way to hell with those dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
HACKEWRS CAN TURN YOUR COC INTO A BOMB

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lysidas posted:

so some linux kernel devs/contributors are apparently threatning to pull the license grant for the code they contributed to the kernel, over the new coc

i'm p sure there hasn't been one actual kernel dev/contributor that's agreed to this

just the kotakuinaction crowd doing their usual thing

my favorite part is all the "these guys are doing this to save the kernel from SJWs", as if advancing ideas that would destroy the backbone of opensource if they were plausible is some heroic act in the face of... a kernel dev or two being ousted?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah i should have thought twice before linking to that site and just posted the message directly from LKML, and agreed, ill be really surprised if one actual kernel dev wants to withdraw anything

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nobody's agreed to it because you can't actually do it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Condiv posted:

i'm p sure there hasn't been one actual kernel dev/contributor that's agreed to this

just the kotakuinaction crowd doing their usual thing

my favorite part is all the "these guys are doing this to save the kernel from SJWs", as if advancing ideas that would destroy the backbone of opensource if they were plausible is some heroic act in the face of... a kernel dev or two being ousted?

esr's got a post : http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8139

i skimmed thru the comments but didn't have the fortitude to actually read most of them, but i see they're still mad about systemd, trotskyists, and maoists, and talking up vox day, comicsgate, jordan petersen with some kiwifarms links

i did see somebody talking about 'r6rs' and got curious and hence:

quote:

I will decide that we no longer live in an civilized age
( http://xkcd.com/297/ ), for official "Scheme" will have lost too
much of the elegance and correctness that has up to now defined it (I
didn't realize it at the time, but so did our parent community when
they standardized on Common Lisp, a harsh object lesson in language
stagnafication we would do well to remember).

There are many signs that ratification of this proposed standard will
shatter the Scheme community. For many language implementors, the
position of the standard is akin to that of Glendower in Shakespeare's
King Henry the IV:

I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

Because as Hotspur replied:

Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do
call for them?

This standard if ratified cannot perforce move the entire community to
it. Enough of the wrong things in the proposal can never be undone,
and it is very unlikely the splintering of the community that this
proposal will cause if ratified will ever be undone, precisely because
these wrong things cannot be undone.

The lead developer of my favorite Scheme implementation will not vote
in favor of this proposed standard, and I would not be at all
surprised if he and others fork off their own standard ... call it
"Uncommon Scheme". And I think there will be more than enough people
going in this direction to make a community with critical mass,

That would be an truly unfortunate development, but while my most
important personal interests are best served by a widespread
acceptance of standardized portability, I cannot support it if it
destroys that which makes Scheme so attractive in the first place,
including the core upon which my other interests depend.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

the new yorker was asking questions about treatment of women. the companies that actually make linux development happen confronted linus about how bad it was going to make them look. boom, instant about-face

color me UNIMPRESSED!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
RMS, Right again:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.en.html

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So is 2018 the year of wayland on the linux desktop on the desktop or no? It doesn't seem to be making much progress.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the year of wayland atop systemd as the kernel becomes vestigial

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wayland has almost reached beta at which point it will be superseded by, i dont fuckin know, some poo poo called corundum or something

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and all applications will still be responsible for rendering their own widgets, ensuring inconsistency

maybe it’ll go all the way Microsoft and switch to a system where there’s no reasonable default UI at all and everything needs to be styled, but all styling is app specific so native apps somehow look and behave even worse than web sites

or maybe there’ll be a resurgence of interest in Xview

(I’ve been trying to find the source for the pre-X Andrew window system, I‘m pretty I have a copy of the CMU Computer Club’s hacked up wmc variant somewhere…)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

or maybe there’ll be a resurgence of interest in Xview

Athena widgets by default.

Who started pushing wayland as an X replacement anyways? I've been seeing that it's coming since like 2012, but so far it hasn't swooped in and saved us from 1980s system constraints.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah, i also implement all my graphic toolkits from scratch

why is client side rendering a problem, it's not like you have to think about it if you're writing a program in gtk or qt or whatever

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wayland works fine except when it doesn't (desktop sharing and gaming comes to mind)

it's been the default in fedora for a while, works great for a normal tear-free desktop use case

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use Wayland every day and the only real issue I've ran into is Java apps on high dpi monitors. They don't scale and end up tiny.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Lysidas posted:

pretty bad article but it did confirm that Theodore Ts’o is a real piece of work

❤️💕 if you rape someone but both you and your victim were blackout drunk then it’s not rape. also if your victim later consents to having sex with you then the earlier one wasn’t rape either. or if they just don’t report it as such.... some top tips here for any LinuxCon attendees ;) ❤️💕
        - Theodore Ts’o

like what’s it gonna take to be rid of this rear end in a top hat?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The older I get the more I believe nerds are actually terrible and I was just blind to it my entire life.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while the social issues which are at the root of this happening are more important than the tech issues as such; people can just revoke stuff under gplv2? how the gently caress is this not going to eventually break every gplv2 project as people with a revision from 1997 which has since morphed into something sprawling the entire project revokes the license?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Max Facetime posted:

like what’s it gonna take to be rid of this rear end in a top hat?

What's it going to take for people who don't even contribute to the kernel to shut up and let the kernel dev community figure this poo poo out reasonably.

Edit: I'm coming back to this because Theodore Ts'o has made excellent contributions to the kernel over the years. Oh well if his views on what constitutes legal rape don't match Sage Sharp so long as he isn't horndogging on interns or telling people in the queer community they will burn in hell as part of his role on the advisory board. The kernel is a technical project that needs to have a more inclusive communication style. It isn't in need of a political purge.

Please note, I am not diminishing what rape is, and or any particular person's experience. However, I *am* challenging the use of statistics that may be hyperbolic and misleading, and ultimately may be very counterproductive if it causes people to become afraid when the reality might not be as horrible as the "1 in 4" numbers might at first sound. Just as it was wrong for George Bush to inspire fear in the population so he could push his War Against Iraq agenda through congress, it's also wrong for people who, out of good intentions, inspire fear in others or themselves of being raped if the statistics used are misleading and manipulated.

- Total rape apologist right there.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 25, 2018

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while the social issues which are at the root of this happening are more important than the tech issues as such; people can just revoke stuff under gplv2? how the gently caress is this not going to eventually break every gplv2 project as people with a revision from 1997 which has since morphed into something sprawling the entire project revokes the license?

Someone volunteers to rewrite the code. Kernel code is pretty stupidly simple for the most part so having someone rewrite sections isn't going to break the entire ecosystem.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Like the complicated bits come from paid contributors. If some neckbeard wants to revoke their driver code for a pcmcia card that hasn't been in production since 2001 but stays in the kernel tree because a single user in rural alabama depends on it then oh well, huge loss.

I haven't seen anyone who contributes to the core (include/linux/*) threaten to revoke anything. Please post people ranting if this is true.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

been a while since i found myself at groklaw http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2006062204552163

perhaps something has changed, but a better bet than believing in esr's reading of law

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

been a while since i found myself at groklaw http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2006062204552163

perhaps something has changed, but a better bet than believing in esr's reading of law

That's pretty much what I figured. I think some bad actor would have done it by now if it were legally possible.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
it still baffles me that those people believe that "meritocracy" means "people who write good code are allowed to be assholes"

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What's it going to take for people who don't even contribute to the kernel to shut up and let the kernel dev community figure this poo poo out reasonably.

Edit: I'm coming back to this because Theodore Ts'o has made excellent contributions to the kernel over the years. Oh well if his views on what constitutes legal rape don't match Sage Sharp so long as he isn't horndogging on interns or telling people in the queer community they will burn in hell as part of his role on the advisory board. The kernel is a technical project that needs to have a more inclusive communication style. It isn't in need of a political purge.

Please note, I am not diminishing what rape is, and or any particular person's experience. However, I *am* challenging the use of statistics that may be hyperbolic and misleading, and ultimately may be very counterproductive if it causes people to become afraid when the reality might not be as horrible as the "1 in 4" numbers might at first sound. Just as it was wrong for George Bush to inspire fear in the population so he could push his War Against Iraq agenda through congress, it's also wrong for people who, out of good intentions, inspire fear in others or themselves of being raped if the statistics used are misleading and manipulated.

- Total rape apologist right there.

oh yeah, that’s the good stuff, where did you find this apologist?

e: :lol: don’t worry LinuxCon attendees, the reality might not be as horrible as the statistics would have you believe

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Max Facetime posted:

oh yeah, that’s the good stuff, where did you find this apologist?

e: :lol: don’t worry LinuxCon attendees, the reality might not be as horrible as the statistics would have you believe

You realize he was discussing a presentation at that con right? The main reason sniveling asshats like ESR have an audience is your attitude.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You realize he was discussing a presentation at that con right? The main reason sniveling asshats like ESR have an audience is your attitude.

hmm, yes, the toxicity of parts of the community is clearly the fault of sjws, and if we would just police our tone more carefully then

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

unironically arguing that we should appease the shitheads to keep them from making noise ityool 2018

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

someone in yospos laughing at you for having a garbage opinion isn't why esr has an audience :ssh:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ironically the behavior the new CoC would curb ITT.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soldier of Fortran posted:

someone in yospos laughing at you for having a garbage opinion isn't why esr has an audience :ssh:

They aren't laughing is the problem. Serious question: Would you guys seriously throw Theo off the technical committee for that statement?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Would C-SPAM let us have a thread about this without gassing it?

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Would C-SPAM let us have a thread about this without gassing it?

yeah you should definitely embarrass yourself in cspam too

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

They aren't laughing is the problem. Serious question: Would you guys seriously throw Theo off the technical committee for that statement?

no i would throw him off for these statements:

❤️💕 OK, let's do a thought experiment, shall we? Suppose Alice and Bob have sex, and Bob is drunk. Did Alice rape Bob? He was drunk, and someone who is drunk presumably can't give consent. Is that rape? Does the gender of the two people matter?

Suppose Bob was partially inebriated, and said he wasn't sure if he wanted to have sex, but Alice wheedled him and kept on asking until he said yes. No force was involved, but he could be "psychologically coerced"? Would that be an indication that she raped him?

Suppose Bob drank the alcohol himself, willingly. And if he was still raped, does he bear any responsibility for put himself into a situation where Alice could ask and ask him until he said yes?

Now suppose Alice is also drunk. Now did she rape Bob? Or did Bob rape Alice now?

Or did Alice and Bob rape each other? Let's throw them both in jail!

Now, actually, the way the law works is that not only does the being raped be not able to give consent, but that the rapist has to know that the the other person was not able to give legal consent. So if both Alice and Bob were drunk, there's no rape that has taken place, in either direction. Whew!

So one of the problems with the Koss study is the women in question was only asked, did sex take place, and were you drunk and not able to give consent. She did not ask the question, did the other person legally know that the women was drunk. And given that the survey was asking undergraduates, and apparently on a campus where there was a lot of drinking and socializing going on, do you think that perhaps the numbers might be skewed by cases where both parties were drunk (and thus not legally able to know whether someone was legally able to give consent)? How many cases that might be, we won't know for sure, but it's certainly enough to call that survey flawed.

All aside from the legal question, there's also the question, in the Alice and Bob thought experiment, regardless of whether Alice is guilty of raping Bob (assume that Bob was inebriated and couldn't give consent, and she knew that Bob was drunk), should Bob be faulted for putting him into a situation where he was so drunk that he couldn't take responsibility for himself? What if it was pretty clear that he regularly did this *because* he could lose control and not take responsibility for what he did? Suppose he hadn't yet had sex without giving consent? Would, should he, face opprobrium for his actions?

If yes, does that magically go away once he is raped, and is now a victim, since that would now be blaming the victim?

My personal opinion is that things aren't black and white, and even if Alice is guilty of raping him, Bob should also be faulted for his contribution towards the incident, and should take at least some responsibility for avoiding being put in similar situations in the future.

Now, people might complain that I'm playing games by switching the genders around. But, should the gender of the parties make a difference? Be careful, lest you start arguing that the female sex is the weaker sex, and should be coddled because they can't take responsibility for their own actions when both parties are totally or partially inebriated. At least some people, such as Ms. Koss, has in fact been guilty of making that argument.

Personally, it's not an issue for me because I strongly don't believe in going to parties where a lot of one-night stands are negotiated, nor do I like situations where a lot of alcohol is consumed. So I'm also predisposed to not have a lot of sympathy for both parties --- male or female, attacker or victim --- who put themselves in such situations.

And how would you feel if someone generated a study where a bunch of males were asked whether they had sex while inebriated, and then announced some statistic indicating that (surprise!) a huge number of undergraduate males are raped, and that statistic was being blindly repeated without anyone asking whether that statistic was valid, and in fact, accused anyone who questioned said survey has proof positive that the questioner was insensitive to the needs of males? ❤️💕
        -- Ted

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

would i fire an employee going 'it is not rape if you're drunk' in a public discussion about the harassment policy of a trade show the company was organizing? yes, yes i would, and i find the analogy to be instructive as the only real sticking point of the question is what position i'd be in to throw him out

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soldier of Fortran posted:

yeah you should definitely embarrass yourself in cspam too

Except all I'm saying is that the people who actually contribute to the kernel that have reservations about a CoC are worried that a small group with fervently held beliefs would use it to persecute them for statements that even RAIN wouldn't consider rape apology.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

would i fire an employee going 'it is not rape if you're drunk' in a public discussion about the harassment policy of a trade show the company was organizing? yes, yes i would, and i find the analogy to be instructive as the only real sticking point of the question is what position i'd be in to throw him out

He isn't directly an employee though. This all started as a personal project thirty years ago, and Linus has been avoiding democratizing it for some time. Most of the original contributors still see it and their role in it the same way it was in the 90s. It looks like that is finally starting to change, and I'm glad that people don't have to worry about being called idiots because they don't use a double pointer for the head of their linked list.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Except all I'm saying is that the people who actually contribute to the kernel that have reservations about a CoC are worried that a small group with fervently held beliefs would use it to persecute them for statements that even RAIN wouldn't consider rape apology.

maybe this is a thing we can worry about if it ever shows any signs of happening?

women have been complaining about ts’o’s rape apology ever since he said those things. it’s not some new thing where rabid sjws are seeing a coc and immediately going digging through random people’s post histories looking for things to take out of context and be offended by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

He isn't directly an employee though. This all started as a personal project thirty years ago, and Linus has been avoiding democratizing it for some time. Most of the original contributors still see it and their role in it the same way it was in the 90s. It looks like that is finally starting to change, and I'm glad that people don't have to worry about being called idiots because they don't use a double pointer for the head of their linked list.

you asked whether i would kick him, if the ability to do so is *not* hypothetically implied i guess i indeed would not :confused: