Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

He’s easy to pick out cause of the helmet

He’s also extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bugg and Pedersen leaving the dees

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Spedman posted:

Bugg leaving the dees

what a shame

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think Goodwin really couldn’t stand Bugg after his punch and rightly so

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh yeah Gawn was very good. Rucks just don't get any credit but - I think Stynes was the last to actually win it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

Oh yeah Gawn was very good. Rucks just don't get any credit but - I think Stynes was the last to actually win it?

Goodes was playing as a ruckman for his 2003 win, and Corey McKernan led the votes in 1996

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Goodes was playing as a ruckman for his 2003 win, and Corey McKernan led the votes in 1996
Yeah come to think of it Goodes did come to mind, I wasn't sure how much ruckwork he was doing the year of his first medal.

I kind of think we need a specific award for backs too, I mean forwards have the Coleman at least, what do the league's angriest men get? Also confusing now because there's like three different types of back roles.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Agreed, Rance is appallingly underappreciated.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Scott Wynd won it in 92

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Matthew Wright has retired from Carlton, and is returning to Adelaide to be a player-coach for the SANFL side while he can still play, and then continue normal development coach duties when he hangs the boots up completely.

Testekill posted:

Scott Wynd won it in 92

After two years in a row the midfielders union stepped in and put a stop to that proper loving quick

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Bruce Doull medal for backmen. Mids get Briwnkoss and forwards get norm smiths.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Spedman posted:

Bugg and Pedersen leaving the dees

As well as 2 development ruckmen in King and Filipovic, which now makes the Preuss link look logical.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

As well as 2 development ruckmen in King and Filipovic, which now makes the Preuss link look logical.

It's logical for the Dees, but still not so much for Preuss

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Periphery posted:

Also the umpires shouldn't be the ones voting on this. Just make it the coaches votes as they are clearly in the best position to decide it.

This is a dumb idea every time I see it. There's already an award that tells us who the coaches think was the best. We don't need two.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Make it like the Norm Smith medal. A panel for every game. There's enough coverage from multiple angles that they could easily pull 4-5 credible people together for every game every round.

An AFL.com.au reporter at the game, someone from the TV broadcast, someone from a radio broadcast, and the umpires get input too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

It's logical for the Dees, but still not so much for Preuss

Yeah this is what gets me, it’s always been a real good idea for Melbourne cause our ruck depth is non existent, but for Preuss if he wants opportunity just go to literally any club other than Collingwood or Melbourne

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

Mitchell shouldn't have got it cause he should have been suspended for intentionally elbowing a player in the face.

Also the umpires shouldn't be the ones voting on this. Just make it the coaches votes as they are clearly in the best position to decide it.

Those are my hot takes. Thanks for reading.

The problem with the Brownlow isn't that the umpires vote on it, it's either that it is held up as the most prestigious award in football and/or that people think it is for the best player that year.

Also maybe people are assuming 'fairest' in 'best and fairest' means 'didn't get suspended' when the umpires factor a bunch of niggly, dirty behaviours and sledging that the crowd doesn't notice into their votes as well

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

This is a dumb idea every time I see it. There's already an award that tells us who the coaches think was the best. We don't need two.

It's a dumb idea cause that's clearly not what I was suggesting: I meant to just get rid of the coaches award and turn it into the Brownlow.

E: In short, the umpires can gently caress off from anything that isn't blowing a whistle (incorrectly most of the time).

Periphery fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 25, 2018

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
AFL Semi final, VFL and VFLW flags, Tommy getting a Brownlow. I'd have taken that in a heartbeat at the start of the season. An enjoyable year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

The problem with the Brownlow isn't that the umpires vote on it, it's either that it is held up as the most prestigious award in football and/or that people think it is for the best player that year.

Also maybe people are assuming 'fairest' in 'best and fairest' means 'didn't get suspended' when the umpires factor a bunch of niggly, dirty behaviours and sledging that the crowd doesn't notice into their votes as well

I mean sure until you look at the people that have won it: Judd, Williams, Akermanis, Liberatore, Lockett,

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I mean sure until you look at the people that have won it: Judd, Williams, Akermanis, Liberatore, Lockett,

You're just salty that Max Gawn has finally been proven to be a giant rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah this is what gets me, it’s always been a real good idea for Melbourne cause our ruck depth is non existent, but for Preuss if he wants opportunity just go to literally any club other than Collingwood or Melbourne

Adelaide were offering him the chance to split the ruck duties with Sam Jacobs next year, and then when Jacobs retires succeed him in 2020, and after alleged interest he knocked us and others with similar proposals back when Melbourne made an offer. It's just weird.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide were offering him the chance to split the ruck duties with Sam Jacobs next year, and then when Jacobs retires succeed him in 2020, and after alleged interest he knocked us and others with similar proposals back when Melbourne made an offer. It's just weird.

I'm not sure players avoiding Adelaide like the plague after the Collective Minds poo poo is all that weird tbh

Moving to Melbourne makes sense if Hogan is about to be traded out I guess.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh good, some random from Perth has whipped out the same article they’ve used for the last four years about Hogan going to Freo and the rest of the footy media yet again swallowing it hook line and sinker

I don’t think there could possibly be a job with less qualifications and talent required than footy journalist

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh good, some random from Perth has whipped out the same article they’ve used for the last four years about Hogan going to Freo and the rest of the footy media yet again swallowing it hook line and sinker

I don’t think there could possibly be a job with less qualifications and talent required than footy journalist

Is knowing a good coke dealer considered a qualification?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Cam Pederson retiring makes me a bit sad tbh, one of the few not totally garbage mature age picks from the need era

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Cam Pederson retiring makes me a bit sad tbh, one of the few not totally garbage mature age picks from the need era

Speaking of retirements: At the Brownlow last night they did a farewell to retiring players, including Michael Rischitelli from the Suns. That's a pretty nice gesture, right?

Well it turns out he's not retiring.

https://twitter.com/GoldCoastSUNS/status/1044193638308179969

:downsbravo:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah I agree, he was a really good pick up for the club. Seems like a really good guy around the place, and was competent coming in and pinch hitting in a number of different positions.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Solemn Sloth posted:

You should see the crap we get filtered over here: Robert Walls usually pipes up once a year before a new season claiming west coast will get the spoon, recently you have whoever the gently caress Jay Clark is saying a grand final with west coast will be boring, and that’s in addition to every ch7 commentary team cheering for the non-WA opposition lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Go pies gently caress West Coast imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

realbez posted:

Go pies gently caress West Coast imo

Well, would make for more interesting viewing than the past weekend's matches.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Am I forgetting one or has Collingwood v West Coast been the only competitive final so far this year?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Am I forgetting one or has Collingwood v West Coast been the only competitive final so far this year?

only one

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Same as last year, one good final

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Football is genuinely bad.

Im not even kidding, the general standard and consistency in the teams is utterly appalling all the way through. Even Richmond who is the closest to a genuine champion team this year showed how far they actually are from the Lions/Geelong/Hawks 3peat teams when they shat the bed against collingwood.

I hate the idea of any team being that kind of dominant again (unless its the Saints :v:) but at least we had football sides that genuinely played at the elite level.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Football is genuinely bad.

Im not even kidding, the general standard and consistency in the teams is utterly appalling all the way through. Even Richmond who is the closest to a genuine champion team this year showed how far they actually are from the Lions/Geelong/Hawks 3peat teams when they shat the bed against collingwood.

I hate the idea of any team being that kind of dominant again (unless its the Saints :v:) but at least we had football sides that genuinely played at the elite level.

2 too many teams and a decade of distorted drafts

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Peter Bell has been appointed Football Manager at Freo, starting Oct 4. I think he'll be a pretty good replacement for Bond, just need a head of recruiting now :v:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-25/peter-bell-leaves-abc-for-football-role-at-fremantle-dockers-afl/10303678?pfmredir=sm

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

My rule of thumb is a club has to get close to 150% on ladder percentage to say they're "dominant" - last team to do that was Sydney in 2016.

The Pies beating Richmond isn't so unexpected on paper, the fact they ran out, ambushed the Tigers and had the game sealed before half time was the astonishing part. Likewise for West Coast although in their case they had the week off and were playing a team who'd just dealt with two finals.

Along with West Coast being predicted for the spoon (what? what kind of brain worms makes someone say that?) you also have to remember Buckley was also kind of under the pump at the start of the season since Collingwood's last few seasons had been pretty mediocre. Particularly after losing those two games.

I did expect closer finals considering the evenness of the teams going in, I mean before the weekend before they ran into a bollard, you could even imagine Melbourne going all the way. (Yeah, history. History is bunk.)

Myself, I don't think it's actually that awful - there are two, maybe three, genuine spud teams, (Lions are coming along, I'm more worried about the Saints at this stage). Four teams outside the eight who at their best looked every good, but at their worst - make that three, Adelaide just fell apart in a very unattractive way... Talent's just spread around a bit more evenly.

It won't be long before there's another dominant team.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Football is extremely bad when my team loses and extremely good when my team wins and usually pretty alright when my team isn’t playing, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
This year the demons had 2 AA selections, 2 players in the top 5 Brownlow voting, finished 5th and won 2 finals. Despite the poo poo show that was the prelim performance I think every demons fan would have taken that at the beginning of the season.

Additionally, the prelim will hopefully keep a fire under the list over the preseason as Melbourne won't get as easy a draw next season as well.