Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

Chopped is an evaluation of skill because you're timed and the criteria includes presentation and taste but also integration of the secret ingredient. So you get people who are experts in their craft but they lose track of time and in that 30 seconds their pasta is mushy. Or the judges get a meal that wouldn't be out of place in a Michelin star menu but they didn't incorporate the secret ingredient in a unique way.

People who succeed on Chopped aren't necessarily the best cooks, they're the ones who keep cool under pressure and can turn a mistake into a success. And maybe that practical application of their skill makes them better cooks than someone who can produce perfect food when there's no pressure, but that's what Chopped judges on.

I get what you're saying, I'm just bothered by the implication that "this thing I observed is average because I say it is average."

If you can't judge skill from observation, how are you supposed to judge skill?

Are you maybe not really very much into cooking?

Why are these dummies scoring Olympic events don't they realize that it's a visual medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The best proof that Babish is just okay not great at cooking is that his favorite rye whiskey is Bulleit Rye when there's Rittenhouse Rye right the hell there, being cheaper (at least where I am) and tasting way better.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Babish is an amateur cook who makes entertaining move/TV show recipes, he's not claiming to be the next Iron Chef or anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Maestro posted:

Edit: there are verifiable skills in cooking that you can observe and, if you know what you’re observing, on which you can make qualitative judgements. For example: was his pan hot enough when he started? Did he execute a proper julienne? Did he add too much water to his dough? Did he overknead it? Does it taste how it’s supposed to? Did he burn the spices?on man. I haven’t even watched the video. Coming in to a thread where people who like to cook (or do it professionally, or both) and questioning their abilities to judge whether somebody knows how to cook or not is just so short sighted and frankly condescending. It might be crazy to you but cooking takes a lot of individual skills that all take practice. If I hand you a knife and you immediately cut yourself, I’m probably gonna think you’re not a good cook.

None of these questions were asked, no critique was actually made, then someone made the argument that "you're mediocre because I deem you mediocre."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

None of these questions were asked, no critique was actually made, then someone made the argument that "you're mediocre because I deem you mediocre."

The critiques don't have to be explicated to be valid. gently caress off with your thought policing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The critiques don't have to be explicated to be valid. gently caress off with your thought policing.

Then it's not a critique.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

al-azad posted:

Well no, technically they were off-handed comments that got dragged into a cell and interrogated.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

The critiques were there. They just weren't explained. Instead of asking for the reasoning behind the offhand comment, you just claimed that it wasn't a valid complaint, and categorically cannot be a valid complaint, since cooking skill can't be judged.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

The real solution to world hunger is prolonged famine.
Oh yeah, let me warm my hands over the glow of this white-hot take.

But no. I get that what you're going for here is that famine kills off poor people and those are the hungry ones so lol famine cures hunger. But the opposite is actually true---prolonged famine, because it disproportionately affects the poor and the poor are disproportionately represented in food production, actually makes large-scale hunger problems worse.

If you want something short enough you can put on a t-shirt or in a one-line shitpost then what you're looking for is `eat the rich'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SubG posted:

If you want something short enough you can put on a t-shirt or in a one-line shitpost then what you're looking for is `eat the rich'.

*sighs and looks, crestfallen, towards an unsold pile of "Masticate the Well-Heeled" T-shirts*

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I would have also accepted `arroser the affluent'.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

best shirt tbh is CHOMP CASH HAVERS

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"marinate money makers"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

Oh yeah, let me warm my hands over the glow of this white-hot take.

But no. I get that what you're going for here is that famine kills off poor people and those are the hungry ones so lol famine cures hunger. But the opposite is actually true---prolonged famine, because it disproportionately affects the poor and the poor are disproportionately represented in food production, actually makes large-scale hunger problems worse.

Lol it wasn't meant to be a serious post.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like Babishs kitchen set up

Same. I do envy that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Whalley posted:

The best proof that Babish is just okay not great at cooking is that his favorite rye whiskey is Bulleit Rye when there's Rittenhouse Rye right the hell there, being cheaper (at least where I am) and tasting way better.

Best argument yet, I’d say I’m convinced

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

That Works posted:

Lol it wasn't meant to be a serious post.
Wait what, we can't solve hunger by having people be hungry? THAT SEEMED SO PLAUSIBLE. Next you'll be telling me that I can't solve dampness with a bucket of water and I can't solve hearing loss by blasting Metallica at high volume straight into my eardrums.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Wait what, we can't solve hunger by having people be hungry? THAT SEEMED SO PLAUSIBLE. Next you'll be telling me that I can't solve dampness with a bucket of water and I can't solve hearing loss by blasting Metallica at high volume straight into my eardrums.

Well actually

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Rum french toast is a good babbish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evzWEXpW1pM

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like Babish’s kitchen set up

Every time I walk past the shitass coils in my kitchen I think about those big gas burners

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Scientific fact, anyone who spells bánh mì as bahn mi is bad at cooking Vietnamese food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

al-azad posted:

Which is closer to solving world hunger than a well seared steak. But I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific, what I'm talking about is what criteria you're using to judge a person preparing recipes on camera unless you've prepared them yourself and deem it all wrong.

Soylent has zero to do with solving world hunger. It exists entirely because a tech bro decided that eating was too mainstream and the utility of the hour or two spent cooking and eating a day was being horribly wasted on something he considered useless. But as An Engineer, he could clearly design a better solution than anyone with actual experience in nutrition or food. Ensure already existed to meet any need for a liquid nutritional replacement since the 1970's.

World hunger is, and will remain, a problem of logistics.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Soylent has zero to do with solving world hunger. It exists entirely because a tech bro decided that eating was too mainstream and the utility of the hour or two spent cooking and eating a day was being horribly wasted on something he considered useless. But as An Engineer, he could clearly design a better solution than anyone with actual experience in nutrition or food. Ensure already existed to meet any need for a liquid nutritional replacement since the 1970's.

Logistics and distribution of wealth.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

It was a dumb comment, but the concept of soylent is sound in the hands of someone removed the world of raw water and bagged juice: remove the expenses and logistical nightmares of storing, transporting, and distributing food and supplying it in reproducible, sustainable form. But man where's the money in that

I'm pretty sure one of soylent's formulas straight up had carcinogens in it, and not the "California recognizes this" kind but like "no human should consume this" kind. Also it's called soylent like cmon

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2018

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

al-azad posted:

It was a dumb comment, but the concept of soylent is sound in the hands of someone removed the world of raw water and bagged juice: remove the expenses and logistical nightmares of storing, transporting, and distributing food and supplying it in reproducible, sustainable form. But man where's the money in that

Right, so, you're right that hunger is due to profit and bad distribution, but, there's PLENTY of money in that. Abbott (revenue 28B/yr) doesn't make Ensure for funsies. Every couple of years, people get rightfully annoyed that Plumpynut is under patent owned by a privately-owned for-profit company. There is a HUGE amount of money in turning food into food slurry and shipping it to the hungry -- the problem is that there's money in it because you're adding multiple for-profit processing step and shipping ingredients and products back and forth across the planet.

Recognizing that global hunger is due to bad distribution and proposing "more complex distribution with more profit raked-off at every step" is definitely something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's even more money in it since the food distribution is often done in a malicious manner to make local agriculture unsubstantial so you end up with dependence and years of profit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

You know how google keeps holding these conferences where they get a bunch of rich silicon valley programmers together to discuss the world's problems and they keep concluding that the biggest problem facing the world is the possibility that an evil AI will take over the world, and their solution is to throw a bunch of money at rich silicon valley programmers? Believing that solving world hunger looks like manufacturing bottles of soylent is the same poo poo. It's not just wrong, it's so wrong you have to sorta step back like three or four levels of wrong so you can find the place where it even makes contact with the real world enough that you can start explaining why it's wrong.

Soylent sells, what, a couple million bottles of their poo poo a year? Worldwide rice production is in the neighborhood of 200 million metric tonnes. Or like five orders of magnitude more. Ignore the fact that a bottle of soylent costs something like US$3 and is only that cheap because they're being propped up by tens of millions of VC dollars, and US$3 is a couple kg of rice in most of the world. Imagine trying to solve the logistical problem of scaling up just the bottling operation by a factor of around 200,000.

Solyent sell about as many meals in a year as, for example, McDonald's sells in an hour. Soylent can't scale up to feed the world. They can't scale up to feed McDonald's. They can't scale up to feed loving Arby's. Your local food shelter is doing more to feed the world than soylent ever will, if only because they've gotten actual food to people who actually need it, instead of selling overpriced toxic sludge to a bunch of loving rich techbros.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
To be fair about the whole AI thing, I agree with them. Someone's going to do it, better invest to at least mitigate the risks. But hey! That's capitalism! :sliding whistle sound:

World hunger is all about basic food man, not Soylent. Logistics is a huge part of it. Perfect example is to go back and look at the Russian 1921-23 famine where America shipped so much corn grits, cocoa, condensed milk, white bread and sugar but a lot of it rotted because Russia had a super lovely infrastructure back then. Up to 10 million died because trucks would be stuck in mud or stopped by ice. Just imagine what 3rd world countries have today for roads and transportation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

To be fair about the whole AI thing, I agree with them.
There's this story in I think it's The Masks of God where Campbell recounts this thing that happened to a colleague of his where he's working in his study and his daughter comes in and starts playing and she picks up a burnt match from the ashtray and starts playing with it and then she says its a witch and then a couple minutes later she's crying because she's afraid of the witch and asks him to take it away.

Whenever I hear about some dumbass rich silicon valley techbro soiling his underoos over AI, I think of that story.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Was a little bittersweet watching the newest Parts Unknown tonight.

RIP Tony, you amazing bastard.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

mich posted:

Scientific fact, anyone who spells bánh mì as bahn mi is bad at cooking Vietnamese food.

White people are so fragile y’all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: white people are the worst. Congrats on spending :10bux: I guess.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mich posted:

White people are so fragile y’all.

what happened? did someone DM you or something? seemed like a pretty fair comment

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Fearing AI destroying humanity in some tech singularity is just an updated version of the nine billion names of God

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

what happened? did someone DM you or something? seemed like a pretty fair comment

She got red text

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure one of soylent's formulas straight up had carcinogens in it, and not the "California recognizes this" kind but like "no human should consume this" kind. Also it's called soylent like cmon

Again, Ensure did that decades ago.

Soylent was just a techbro reinventing the wheel and giving himself heavy metal poisoning in the process because he didn't think ahead about where he was getting his ingredients beyond 'cheapest'. As they do in every industry.

See also Tesla failing utterly to surmount the basic problems of automotive manufacturing that the major players in the industry had answers for decades ago, entirely because they were certain they could engineer something better from scratch because Computers = Smarter.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 26, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SubG posted:

There's this story in I think it's The Masks of God where Campbell recounts this thing that happened to a colleague of his where he's working in his study and his daughter comes in and starts playing and she picks up a burnt match from the ashtray and starts playing with it and then she says its a witch and then a couple minutes later she's crying because she's afraid of the witch and asks him to take it away.

Whenever I hear about some dumbass rich silicon valley techbro soiling his underoos over AI, I think of that story.

pile of brown posted:

Fearing AI destroying humanity in some tech singularity is just an updated version of the nine billion names of God

I never thought I'd get such great material to steal and use in arguments on this subject from this thread, but thank you!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liquid Communism posted:

See also Tesla failing utterly to surmount the basic problems of automotive manufacturing that the major players in the industry had answers for decades ago, entirely because they were certain they could engineer something better from scratch because Computers = Smarter.

Tesla is a special case of lunacy, like, for example, Musk being so concerned about manufacturing yields that he ordered engineers to stop testing the brake pads and wheel alignment on the Model 3.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Timby posted:

Tesla is a special case of lunacy, like, for example, Musk being so concerned about manufacturing yields that he ordered engineers to stop testing the brake pads and wheel alignment on the Model 3.

Like Ford in the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Timby posted:

As a person who works for a large auto manufacturer and loves Tesla, they need to hire some real manufacturing experience high ups and fix their poo poo.

It's all about shaving fractions of pennies off every process to make the most efficient and streamlined end to end production environment as possible