Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I tried out Stephen King as a palate cleanser and decided to try out Under The Dome and so far it's been shockingly graphic but also darkly hilarious at the same time. This is my first stephen king novel and I'm curious how someone sane and healthy can write something this gruesome yet somehow have it be incredibly funny. Picking up my library card tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
under the dome is not bad but its def not where i'd recommend starting with king. try the stand or salems lot imo

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I have a genre that I like and then basically read everything in that genre.

I like to read dystopian series. So I google "dystopian book series" and read everything on lists like this: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/05/the-30-best-dystopian-books-of-all-time.html

Or, I find an author I like and read all their books. I've done this for Sophie Kinsella (only her standalone novels) and a lot of Stephen King (guilty pleasure).

Now I'm into light hearted fantasy along the lines of Discworld and Chrestomanci so I'm reading everything by Diana Wynne Jones

im deeply concerned that out of all of this you call stephen king the guilty pleasure

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

buglord posted:

Throw em here then!

Also how in the world do you guys find books worth reading in person? Do you just go into Barnes and Noble or something and read a few chapters before deciding? Seems tough to tell if a book is a good personal fit if it's slow to start.

You can also go to a small, local bookstore and check out their staff picks section or simply ask for a recommendation. Just like a bartender, if they have an idea of what you prefer, they should know their own stock/ingredients well enough to come up with something you'll like. I worked in a small indie for years and I could hand-sell the gently caress out of stuff I'd never read because I knew our inventory so well (and could better contribute to the thread if I remembered more).

As for Under the Dome, I thought it was something of a return to form and a pretty easy read despite the size- it pretty much puts the pedal to the floor in the first few pages and never lets up. If you want something else big that lasts for a long time (I know, I know), you could try tackling King's Dark Tower series, but be warned that a bunch of goons will give you poo poo if you say that it's good (it's mostly good, but, uh, maybe a little self-indulging at times).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

funkybottoms posted:

You can also go to a small, local bookstore and check out their staff picks section or simply ask for a recommendation. Just like a bartender, if they have an idea of what you prefer, they should know their own stock/ingredients well enough to come up with something you'll like. I worked in a small indie for years and I could hand-sell the gently caress out of stuff I'd never read because I knew our inventory so well (and could better contribute to the thread if I remembered more).

Depending on where you live, most or all of the local bookstores may have died. Amazon's killed off that whole industry./

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Bookstores aren't doing as bad as everyone seems to think, it's just that you need a level of expertise to make a profit and the traditional model of focusing on expensive new hardbacks is dead (thank god). And of course you need a clientele so yeah video game stores are probably doing better than bookstores in Chittanook, Omaha, or wherever

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Depending on where you live, most or all of the local bookstores may have died. Amazon's killed off that whole industry./

Oh, I'm supremely aware of that, but I also have no idea where the poster lives, so...

Ras Het posted:

Bookstores aren't doing as bad as everyone seems to think, it's just that you need a level of expertise to make a profit and the traditional model of focusing on expensive new hardbacks is dead (thank god). And of course you need a clientele so yeah video game stores are probably doing better than bookstores in Chittanook, Omaha, or wherever

Yes. I live in a good-sized city with a big literary community and we've got at least seven independent stores (two of which are very niche) that seem to be doing pretty well. We actually lost a couple a few years back when e-readers got big and print sales went into the shitter, but for the most part it seems like things have stabilized here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm lucky to have a used bookstore around here that's doing alright....

....but it's run by the town gossip. She will talk to you the entire time you're in there, tell you terrible things, and is just generally unpleasant to be around. It makes it hard for me to go in there. :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We have a second and Charles which gives you the soulless corporate lack of intimacy of a barnes and noble with the selection of a used book store

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I read a couple of the Parker novels on a lark and really enjoyed them for what they were. Anyone have suggestions for a more modern hardboiled noir? I'm curious now if anyone's done a good job moving the genre away from the early-to-mid 20th century setting.

Bonus points for characters who are hard to root for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

I read a couple of the Parker novels on a lark and really enjoyed them for what they were. Anyone have suggestions for a more modern hardboiled noir? I'm curious now if anyone's done a good job moving the genre away from the early-to-mid 20th century setting.

Bonus points for characters who are hard to root for.

I like Quarry by Max Allan Collins; I think it's good right from the first book. Mack Bolan might be a good bet but I'm less familiar with the character so I can't recommend any book in particular.

I also enjoy the Rebus novels by Ian Rankin but they might be a bit too different. Of course I like James Ellroy as well, but I'm not sure if he's hardboiled.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mack Bolan might be a good bet but I'm less familiar with the character so I can't recommend any book in particular.

Bolan is what's called "men's adventure," which generally means wish fulfillment for NRA members. (If you're familiar with comics, the Punisher was ripped off straight from Bolan.)

For hardboiled noir with difficult-to-like characters, Ellroy would be my first recommendation. If you want a modern setting, though, he's not for you -- his best known books range from the 40s to the 70s. If that sounds appealing, though, you probably want to start with the "L.A. Quartet": The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How about John D. MacDonald's, Travis McGee series?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

How about John D. MacDonald's, Travis McGee series?

I'm a fan of those. They have a marvelous sense of place (coastal Florida in mid-twentieth-century America). Each book is set approximately in "year before publication year," in a specific area and time, and since the books were published every year or two for a decade or two, as you read the books you get to watch that region and culture change over time. It's a really neat effect if you read them in order and you only see it in that kind of contemporaneously-written "detective" fiction (the other series that achieves the same effect is the Nero Wolfe books, which start in depression-era Manhattan and move through year on year up through to the 1970's).

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I'm looking for a sword and sorcery book. I love the original Conan novels and I'm looking for a more modern take on that type of book.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

walruscat posted:

I'm looking for a sword and sorcery book. I love the original Conan novels and I'm looking for a more modern take on that type of book.

Do you know Robert Jordan wrote three Conan novels? They used to be available as a single volume.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

walruscat posted:

Try Legend by David Gemell, pretty much everything he did is like that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

walruscat posted:

Only slightly more modern, but Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories are still a lot of fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All my friends got me to read "The Name of the Wind" and I'm not having a good time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Junkie Disease posted:

All my friends got me to read "The Name of the Wind" and I'm not having a good time

Try getting new friends, and finding new books. Rothfuss is notorious for being a bad writer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Junkie Disease posted:

Those people aren't your friends.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

:sever:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I feel like people in the book can only talk in similes

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

I feel like people in the book can only talk in similes

I actually can’t remember what the book was about or how it was bad specifically, I just remember constantly cringing and being angry at the main character and the whole world for letting this book be successful.

I should read it again to renew my anger.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

well an old man would say "Never remember a book for its cover but for the weight of its pages!"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

I actually can’t remember what the book was about or how it was bad specifically, I just remember constantly cringing and being angry at the main character and the whole world for letting this book be successful.

I should read it again to renew my anger.

Succubus becomes addicted to virgin protagonist's cock.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

buglord posted:

I tried out Stephen King as a palate cleanser and decided to try out Under The Dome and so far it's been shockingly graphic but also darkly hilarious at the same time. This is my first stephen king novel and I'm curious how someone sane and healthy can write something this gruesome yet somehow have it be incredibly funny. Picking up my library card tomorrow.

I read this and after living in a small town in rural oregon for a while, I can say it is creepy how right he gets a corrupt county commissioner type character.

A book like this that you should totally check out, that’s much better, is 11/22/63. That was a great romp.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen King hates small-town culture. These characters in here are just as dimwitted and power-hungry like the people in my hometown. It's funny, and a little more than cathartic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
When Stephen King is on he's really, really on. We have a long-running general Stephen King thread too.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Stephen King is 98% awesome. The 2% is always his endings and they are really bad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

Stephen King is 98% awesome. The 2% is always his endings and they are really bad.

I don’t know, I don’t really like his tropes. Like broken families, swearing precocious kids, small town northeast. poo poo like that is just kind of annoying after the 80th book, you know?

I just read From A Buick 8 and I really liked it but the framing device was a little distracting compared to the other Lovecraftian horror I’ve enjoyed recently like The Ballad of Black Tom, The Croning and American Elsewhere (huge rec there btw).

That being said, Pet Semetary is one of the best horror novels I’ve ever read and I think The Stand holds up and The Long Walk is really loving good YA fiction and I love discussing it with students.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 25, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The Shining is av good horror novel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Speaking of horror, are there any legitimately horrifying books out there? Like the type that have you keep all the lights on when you're home alone? I've been chasing a horror high that I haven't gotten since the videogame Stalker Call of Pripyat.

I could read roadside picnic but apparently it's not really scary, nor does it try to be.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

buglord posted:

Speaking of horror, are there any legitimately horrifying books out there? Like the type that have you keep all the lights on when you're home alone? I've been chasing a horror high that I haven't gotten since the videogame Stalker Call of Pripyat.

I could read roadside picnic but apparently it's not really scary, nor does it try to be.

The Elementals, and Blackwater trillogy, Im about the read the Amulet unless someone stops my McDowell chain

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Not really that scary but I liked Night Film by Marisha Pessl

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Yeah, I think I’ve read about a dozen books that legitimately frightened or disturbed me like good horror is supposed to:

Pet Sematary legitimately frightened me when I was a teenager.
Annihilation sort of gave me nightmares. It’s hard to explain.
The Terror is a slow burn but it’s quite horrifying in a visceral, hopeless kind of way.
The Song of Kali was very unsettling.
I Am Legend was pretty scary for me, but not quite like any other horror I’ve read before.
Blood Meridian slowly made me disgusted and confused and hopeless over time in a fairly horrifying way.
The Road was kind of like Blood Meridian mixed with I Am Legend mixed with, I don’t know, Firestarter for me and it was horrifying but not scary.
I think Beloved is actually a horror novel.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
American Psycho is legit horrifying.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

The Elementals, and Blackwater trillogy, Im about the read the Amulet unless someone stops my McDowell chain

I love Blackwater but there was nothing in it that I'd call "legitimately horrifying" or even that scary, but I also don't think it's supposed to be. It's southern gothic family drama first and foremost, with some horror/traditional gothic trappings. Though I guess I can think of a couple of scenes I'd call at least unsettling. But most of it I wouldn't call scary. The Elementals creeped me right the gently caress out though.

To add to the list, I personally found A Head Full of Ghosts and The Haunting of Hill House frightening... but having said that, I actually think that whether a horror novel is "scary" is a terrible metric by which to judge its quality. It's one thing to look at movies or video games in that light, since visual media often does a better job of delivering visceral, emotional scares, but even the best book can't keep you 100% emotionally engaged every moment it needs you to be. Some of the worst horror novels I've read are the ones that work very hard to scare the pants off you, some of the best never try that hard to actually scare the reader. Plus, no two people will be scared by the same book. I personally found American Psycho kind of funny but not remotely scary or really all that disturbing, I thought Pet Sematary was good but it never once actually scared me, I thought The Terror was a tedious mess with a dumb monster and a terrible ending, but actually think of a few really good moments in the book from time to time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Junkie Disease posted:

Yeah my boi

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah the only horror I've ever found genuinely scary was the first third of The Stand because it had a very "this could happen very easily" feel.

Maybe some Lo vecraft if you read it at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah that’s a good point, I was trying to express that those books frightened me but you might find them funny or boring or whatever. People are weird and all. Like I think The Descent is one of the scariest movies I’ve ever seen, but it’s probably just because I have a deep fear of caves.