Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mewse posted:

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

this kind of infrastructure seems fundamentally incapable of handling pedestrians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Eeyo posted:

this kind of infrastructure seems fundamentally incapable of handling pedestrians.

absolutely

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

I bet that rail spur's looking pretty good rn

Ciaphas posted:

i'm waiting excitedly for the media to make this connection
:yossame:

infernal machines posted:

you may be waiting a while
:yossame:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/making-sense-of-tesla-s-deepening-crisis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm going to invent a device that you can stick on the back of your car that works kind of like a T-shirt cannon, except it fires a package that inflates into a mylar balloon the size and shape of human, so you can deploy it into the road and stop all the self-driving cars behind you

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Eeyo posted:

just put pedestrians on self driving segways

if anything it would make for a cool looking dystopian sci-fi urban setting

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

What if a CPU, but cars instead of electrons?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm going to invent a device that you can stick on the back of your car that works kind of like a T-shirt cannon, except it fires a package that inflates into a mylar balloon the size and shape of human, so you can deploy it into the road and stop all the self-driving cars behind you

future a team movie looking good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ooh yeah good call. The balloon will be printed with an image of B.A. Baracus

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

Ooh yeah good call. The balloon will be printed with an image of B.A. Baracus

if you're expecting an eloncar to stop you're going to need to pick one of the other 3 members

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

This technique, but as a car paint job:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

as we have seen though, self driving cars do not stop for pedestrians

fake edit: although it might steer into a concrete barrier if the pedestrian is a ceo and the only passengers are cats

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

the onion wizard posted:

i'd really like to have a sticker that teslas et al interpret as a stop sign on the back of my car

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the onion wizard posted:

i have no idea what any of this is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Eeyo posted:

if it worked as intended it would actually be safer since you would pause the intersection for pedestrians and cars would not be able to enter the crosswalks since they aren't human controlled.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

looks like computer vision classification getting confused

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

It's a picture of a turtle whose shell has been modified (either painted or photoshopped, probably the latter) in a subtle way that causes computer vision systems to interpret it as a rifle

it's a very good example of how these classifiers are not based on anything like a human mind and do not work (or fail) in the ways you would expect. whatever this system is using to identify a turtle, it clearly isn't what people think of as turtle-like features.

Consider this in the context of Tesla computer vision trying to identify things like stop signs or pedestrians

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 25, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It's a picture of a turtle whose shell has been modified (either painted or photoshopped, probably the latter) in a subtle way that causes computer vision systems to interpret it as a rifle

it's not photoshopped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPxlhGSG0tc

by which i mean it's an actual physical object, the design of the shell may have come from some pc software

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 25, 2018

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mewse posted:

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

good luck trying to cross that street holy poo poo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Eeyo posted:

My Linux Rig posted:

good luck trying to cross that street holy poo poo

Feature, not a bug

Half the point of these systems are to isolate the haves from the have-nots

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

mewse posted:

hello all of my intersections in cities skylines

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

it's a very good example of how these classifiers are not based on anything like a human mind and do not work (or fail) in the ways you would expect. whatever this system is using to identify a turtle, it clearly isn't what people think of as turtle-like features.

Consider this in the context of Tesla computer vision trying to identify things like stop signs or pedestrians

its almost like computers are terrible and shouldn't be used

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mewse posted:

:pwn:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eeyo posted:

it's fundamentally incapable of handling reality, in which acceleration, mass, and unanticipated road conditions are a thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
whoops, a loose piece of gravel means you lost traction for 1/10th of a second, 300 hundred people are now dead or dying in cars that are inaccessible to any emergency vehicles

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*picture of fire truck*

GARAGE
ONRAMP
TARGET

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Eeyo posted:

Pedestrians get a tunnel. we dont have a boring company for decorative purposes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

this is right *except* that deep learnings issues with overfit and adversierial attacks is that different from humans. it is a lot harder to grind or adversarial attacks against humans, but stuff like escher drawings messing with the perception of 3d space, the migraine-inducing picture of the woman with the doubled up eyes, and even many forms of camouflage all rely on details of the automatic part of human preception

to a great extent the issue is that humans have higher level mechanisms to deal with confused vision, and we have no clue how to build that without just inventing strong AI, which is unlikely to come out of deep learning

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

abigserve posted:

lol I must have missed this being linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPYpD1Knpw

a video of a tesla driving on an exceedingly well marked country road with basically no other traffic manages to almost lose traction several times and culminates in a beeping warning as it literally goes into the gravel on the side of the road for a second

how is this allowed to exist, seriously

getting pulled over for drunk driving in your autonomous car

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

*picture of fire truck*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjNhJQpBU1Y&t=27s

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
death_intersection.gif comes from these guys
they have a paper that attempts to address failure modes and it's pretty funny

quote:

First, we assume that the intersection manager is able to detect when something has gone wrong. While this is certainly a non-trivial assumption, it is necessary for any reasonable solution. Simply put, the intersection manager cannot react to something it cannot detect. There are two basic ways by which the intersection manager could detect that a vehicle has encountered some sort of problem: the vehicle can inform the intersection manager, or the intersection manager can detect the vehicle directly.
Each has advantages and disadvantages, and a combination of the two would most likely be the safest. The specifics of the implementation are beyond the scope of this paper.
Because our simulations only deal with collisions, we assume that the colliding vehicle sends a signal and the intersection manager becomes aware of the situation immediately.
As we suspected, the average crash log without the safety measures is quite grisly....Figure 3 shows that for both 6-lane cases—fully autonomous and 5% human drivers—the rate of collisions does not abate until over 70 vehicles have crashed. Even a full 60 seconds after the incident begins, vehicles are still colliding.

sure hope the crashed car gets out a warning to the intersection manager in time
also hope it isn't trivial to spoof those warning signals and gently caress poo poo up for the lulz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's fine as a university level thought experiment, the problem is credulous popsci idiots taking it and saying look, the future is now!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Not a Children posted:

Feature, not a bug

:yeah:
the other half is investor storytime
e: if not pure "applied" "research" wankery

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who the gently caress fell down the elevator shaft?

Elon Musk can't even have elevator doors that close right at gf1

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think I remember that intersection from Dead Space 2.

Qwijib0 posted:

found this new explanation for the no-rail-at-the-factory

it's an angle I hadn't heard or thought of but if it's true is there some low level of trains where it's not worth running them? (also surely someone else would have unearthed the minutes from these local meetings with the number of twitter gumshoes)

That's...not a great angle. Companies, competent ones at least, know how to circumvent NIMBY ordinances and policies. It's...not a very complicated process to subvert ordinances and municipal government.

edit: not that doing so is good, of course! the inability to maintain some sort of zoning plan is the wellspring of an often underestimated proportion of harm and inequality in the US. But, I mean, companies know how to do it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 25, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I remember that intersection from Dead Space 2.

That's...not a great angle. Companies, competent ones at least, know how to circumvent NIMBY ordinances and policies. It's...not a very complicated process to subvert ordinances and municipal government.

yeah, a big part of development success is knowing how to get around this stuff and speak the language, or having the money and wherewithal to hire someone that does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what if you build a tunnel for the rail

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if you run the rail through a tube?

also take all the air out of the tube, so wind resistance isn't an issue

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Not a Children posted:

Feature, not a bug

the have and have-nots (been killed by a herd of cars)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

if you're expecting an eloncar to stop you're going to need to pick one of the other 3 members
this was a great joke that deserved a little recognition

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What if you just took a locomotive and strapped rocket boosters to it?