Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

I don't usually pre-order but I feel like Kino Lorber deserves my money for bothering to restore the Kolchak movies.

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-stalker-special-edition-blu-ray
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-strangler-special-edition-blu-ray

I’m excited as hell for these and hope they do one for the series as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Besides the Criterion releases, what are considered to be the best Hitchcock releases on Blu-ray (specifically Region A, unless a PS3 is region-free). I’m at a point where I’ve seen almost all of his still-existent films, but I own very few.

I’ve heard not-great or mixed-bag-restoration things about some of the box sets.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Besides the Criterion releases, what are considered to be the best Hitchcock releases on Blu-ray (specifically Region A, unless a PS3 is region-free). I’m at a point where I’ve seen almost all of his still-existent films, but I own very few.

I’ve heard not-great or mixed-bag-restoration things about some of the box sets.

I was floored by The Trouble with Harry. It looks absolutely stunning.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Criterion:
The Lodger: A+ (also includes restored Downhill)
The Man Who Knew Too Much '34: A+
The 39 Steps: B+ (not as sparkling as other restorations)
The Lady Vanishes: A
Foreign Correspondent: A+
Rebecca: A+ (4K restoration)

(Criterion also has the rights to Sabotage, Young and Innocent, Secret Agent, Spellbound, and Notorious - the last one was hinted in a newsletter)

Warner/Warner Archive:
Suspicion: A+
Strangers on a Train: older transfer according to reviews, but still decent
I Confess: A+
Dial M for Murder: A+ (proper Blu-ray 3-D, though keep in mind 50s WarnerColor processing looks rough on opticals)
The Wrong Man: A+
North by Northwest: A+

(Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Stage Fright are not out yet, but the DVDs are good)

Universal (All 14 are in a box set):

Saboteur: A+
Shadow of a Doubt: A+
Rope: B (Very good, but not the same quality as 3-strip restorations like The Red Shoes)
Rear Window: A+ (4K restoration)
The Trouble with Harry: A+ (4K restoration)
The Man Who Knew Too Much '56: D (decent image quality, but terrible faded color that shifts from shot to shot)
Vertigo: A+ (4K restoration)
Psycho: C+ (too much DVNR, dirty, and an old transfer - this really needs the full 4K treatment)
The Birds: A (still grainy due to all the effects, but a nice 4K restoration)
Marnie: B+ (better than reviews state, but very grainy)
Torn Curtain: A+
Topaz: B-
Frenzy: C (too much DVR)
Family Plot: F (looks like a bad DVD upscale)

Paramount:

To Catch a Thief: A

Kino Lorber:

Lifeboat: A (some unavoidable problems since pre-1950 Fox films have no surviving negatives)
The Paradine Case: Very nice transfer according to reviews.
Under Capricorn: 4K from 3-strip elements, but a little flawed

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

codyclarke posted:

I was floored by The Trouble with Harry. It looks absolutely stunning.

It really can't be understated how much of a revelation that new transfer is.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks guys - and yeah, Egbert, that Universal set is the one I've kept waffling on because of how disparate the quality is supposed to be from title-to-title. I guess I'll start going piecemeal and finish up the Criterions I don't have and start looking at the Warners. Maybe there'll still be some room left for birthday buys after I get the Bergman set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Thanks guys - and yeah, Egbert, that Universal set is the one I've kept waffling on because of how disparate the quality is supposed to be from title-to-title. I guess I'll start going piecemeal and finish up the Criterions I don't have and start looking at the Warners. Maybe there'll still be some room left for birthday buys after I get the Bergman set.

The Universal set is absolutely worth it. Even with a few titles looking rough, the 4K restorations of Rear Window and Vertigo are jaw-dropping. I think the initial box set also included North by Northwest licensed from WB, but is missing the isolated score.

What's sad is that all nine of the surviving Hitchcock silents were restored in 2K years ago, but half are owned by StudioCanal, which means Lionsgate has US rights. And they have zero interest anything in that library that doesn't star a certain Austrian. The Lodger and Downhill are part of the half owned by iTV, along with The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue. Though, even in the UK they haven't released all of them, so who knows what's going on?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

It really can't be understated how much of a revelation that new transfer is.

Jesus, on my lovely sub-1080p laptop monitor those look astounding.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Is there any reason not to get the Universal Monster Collection from UK? It seems to be region free and has disc holders rather than just sleeves. It's also $20 cheaper.

Just didn't want to run into any gotchas.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Is there any reason not to get the Universal Monster Collection from UK? It seems to be region free and has disc holders rather than just sleeves. It's also $20 cheaper.

Just didn't want to run into any gotchas.

If you mean the Essentials Collection, the UK version is fine. I don't know about the new complete collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The complete set will be back in print soon - it went OOP because of an authoring problem with the Revenge of the Creature disc, which they're just fixing now.

It was going for $130 at best on Amazon, which is really good for 30 films. While the essential set is good, the complete set has a lot of good ones like Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, Invisible Agent, and The Invisible Woman. It's been a while, but I also remember The Creature Walks Among Us being really good, too.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for the info, I'll have to think about whether or not I want to wait for that complete collection.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The Last House on the Left blu-ray from Arrow is really cheap on amazon.ca. I had to start a free canadian prime trial to be able to buy it, and shipping isn't free, but it came out to $14.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

I prordered it before seeing it earlier today. I regret nothing. If you liked the trailer, you'll love the movie.

I ended up preordering this during the credits while sitting in the cinema. What a goddamn film.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Wow, Shout's Platoon "remaster" looks like they just ran the old one through a DNR filter: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12366&d2=12367&s1=122623&s2=122635&i=10&l=0
I mean, who needs stuff to have texture?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing some mixed reviews on the Halloween 4k release today. Not that it's bad, more that an anniversary blu was made only a few years ago from a new transfer, and that one was already a top of the line blu ray so the difference here is not as noticeable as it is with other films that haven't had nice new transfers as recently.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Steen71 posted:

Wow, Shout's Platoon "remaster" looks like they just ran the old one through a DNR filter: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12366&d2=12367&s1=122623&s2=122635&i=10&l=0
I mean, who needs stuff to have texture?

DNR is annoying, but this case is definitely not the worst I've seen. At least it doesn't look like I'm in a wax museum.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Sure, it's no Predator.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Is there an unfucked version of Predator out there?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is there an unfucked version of Predator out there?

The recent UHD release was mostly unfucked, certainly it took care of the ridiculous DNR issue from previous releases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I doubt it'll ever look better than the UHD release. It has a few problem areas, but nothing major.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
UHD is, to my understanding, the best the movie has looked since theaters. Any remaining visual faults are pretty much flaws of the movie itself (Predator's a bit of an ugly movie at times due to the conditions it was shot in and the film stock used, and short of outright Blade Runner: Final Cutting some of the affected shots, it's... not really possible to fix).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

The recent UHD release was mostly unfucked, certainly it took care of the ridiculous DNR issue from previous releases.

Ok, I have the 3d version that I bought on a lark and yeah some of the DNR is pretty heavy.

Thanks guys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I know the movie itself has a mixed reputation around here, but sweet jesus does the 4K UHD for Pacific Rim look good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm seeing some mixed reviews on the Halloween 4k release today. Not that it's bad, more that an anniversary blu was made only a few years ago from a new transfer, and that one was already a top of the line blu ray so the difference here is not as noticeable as it is with other films that haven't had nice new transfers as recently.

Yeah I follow Brian Collins on Twitter who was posting some differences between the two. It looks like they've changed colour palette again for some reason and made the recent release look a little colder.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the new 4K release of Halloween is the same source transfer they used for the 35th Anniversary blu ray from a few years ago, and the colors are noticeably muted and cool compared to the previous standard blu ray, and especially compared to the old THX DVD transfer that Cundey supervised for Anchor Bay, which had super saturated orange and blue.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
So I am finally getting around to watching The Wire (I know) on HBO Now streaming. Since I’ve recently gotten back into physical media and have been watching a lot of Blu-Ray and UHD stuff, it really stood out to me how appalling the show looked when streamed. The compression is NOT kind to that film grain. Went ahead a bought the Blu-Ray release and, man, what a difference. I think that the newer digitally shot stuff looks decent enough when streamed but older 35mm shows/movies look way better when given enough bitrate to breathe and looks like complete rear end over when compressed for streaming. Does FilmStruck stream at a higher bitrate than other services given their catalogue? They should. Anyways this show owns and is gorgeous.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My favorite for this is the black and white twilight zone blu rays. Good lord those are beautiful.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While it looks like there's no video content, there'd a CD+Blu deluxe box set of The White Album coming on November 9th.

CD 1/2: New 2018 stereo remix by Giles Martin and Sam Okell
CD 3: Esher demos (27 tracks)
CD 4/5/6: Outtakes/singles

The Blu-ray has high-res PCM stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1 mixes of the new 2018 remix, plus the mono mix.

Also has a 164 page coffee table book with extensive recording notes and photos.

(And Abbey Road is confirmed as the next one to get the deluxe treatment, I assume next year)

Monopthalmus posted:

So I am finally getting around to watching The Wire (I know) on HBO Now streaming. Since I’ve recently gotten back into physical media and have been watching a lot of Blu-Ray and UHD stuff, it really stood out to me how appalling the show looked when streamed. The compression is NOT kind to that film grain. Went ahead a bought the Blu-Ray release and, man, what a difference. I think that the newer digitally shot stuff looks decent enough when streamed but older 35mm shows/movies look way better when given enough bitrate to breathe and looks like complete rear end over when compressed for streaming. Does FilmStruck stream at a higher bitrate than other services given their catalogue? They should. Anyways this show owns and is gorgeous.

Yes, they seem to have way better compression... but I find extremely grainy films to be problematic. Faces is unwatchable on Filmstruck, but Female Trouble looked fine.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

While it looks like there's no video content, there'd a CD+Blu deluxe box set of The White Album coming on November 9th.

The Blu-ray has high-res PCM stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1 mixes of the new 2018 remix, plus the mono mix.

Also has a 164 page coffee table book with extensive recording notes and photos.

Wild that late period Weezer is getting this sort of release

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

(And Abbey Road is confirmed as the next one to get the deluxe treatment, I assume next year)

Yes, they seem to have way better compression... but I find extremely grainy films to be problematic. Faces is unwatchable on Filmstruck, but Female Trouble looked fine.

I wonder if the ultra mega Abbey Road thing will have any of the aborted Get Back album stuff or if we can finally have the Let it Be movie.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We probably won’t get Let it Be movie until Olivia Harrison passes away. She really hates it.

We also probably won’t get Carnival of Light until after Macca goes also

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I wonder if the ultra mega Abbey Road thing will have any of the aborted Get Back album stuff or if we can finally have the Let it Be movie.

McCartney being on press tour means he could be going for headlines, but there's a chance it's happening soon: https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-mccartney-let-it-be-the-beatles-new-version-possibly-in-the-works-film-2381386

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

McCartney being on press tour means he could be going for headlines, but there's a chance it's happening soon: https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-mccartney-let-it-be-the-beatles-new-version-possibly-in-the-works-film-2381386

I've learned not to get my hopes up because I've been hearing about "A NEW ANNIVERSARY RELEASE!" of Let It Be every few years for about 20 years.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The funny thing about that movie is that it's in no way at all as salacious as people seem to think it is, something not helped by it being the 'banned' film.

What's the betting that the new version shaves off some of the few edges that are there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

The funny thing about that movie is that it's in no way at all as salacious as people seem to think it is, something not helped by it being the 'banned' film.

What's the betting that the new version shaves off some of the few edges that are there.

That's a thing that bothers me. There's like one scene where George Harrison gets kind of salty for like five seconds. Most of it looks like they're actually having fun and the rest they just seem kind of tired. I have no idea how it got the reputation for being the gut wrenching document of four guys spewing vitriol. I actually had a conversation with a 60-something record store owner who said he can't even stand to watch the movie. I'm wondering it maybe he just smoked too much weed in the 70s and doesn't even remember the movie. At this point there must be some HD transfer or they at least have a good source for one because a few songs from it were included in the two disc Beatles 1 blu-ray from a few years ago and they were very beautifully restored.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I can't wait for all the Boomers to be dead so we as a society can have a real conversation about the Beatles

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think they’ll keep making those music bundle infomercials where old people in comfortable sweaters talk together about the music they remember from when they were young? I can’t wait until they start making those sets with Nirvana and Sonic Youth.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would in no way shape or form be surprised if a Sounds of Grunge infomercial already existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've definitely heard Nirvana on classic rock stations.