Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

How is he gonna sneak one into the ring under the referee's nose.

A large electronics manufacturer like Penasonic (which is now helping Nishihonji) is likely to have highly advanced miniaturisation capabilities. Fitting a wheelchair into a small cube isn't outside the bounds of imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm glad the Kurei Clan and Ohma borrowed their secret technique from King, The World's Strongest Man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

Ohma is presumably still hosed up from last time based on the fact that his stomach was having an issue in the last panel

No, that's him starting up the Advance.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Try to check your whitelist? I'm usin' uBlock Origin as well and MangaDex works just fine.

Unless you're using KissManga. In which case 1) gently caress KissManga or 2) get Tampermonkey and the MangaLoader plugin for it.

Well...okay, I guess I'll...try that then.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MangaLoader turns everything into the "read everything in one page" thing that KissManga has.

It was useful on MangaDex until they added the Long strip function.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

MangaLoader turns everything into the "read everything in one page" thing that KissManga has.

It was useful on MangaDex until they added the Long strip function.

I just start sweating whenever people suggest I do maintenance on a browser because I'm a ham-handed moron.

If you're saying that Mangadex has the same functionality as Kissmanga, I might just move my backlog over there and just solve the problem entirely.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I just start sweating whenever people suggest I do maintenance on a browser because I'm a ham-handed moron.

If you're saying that Mangadex has the same functionality as Kissmanga, I might just move my backlog over there and just solve the problem entirely.

Yeah, just toggle the middle thing till it says Long strip.

Heck, the link that peep post are to MangaDex so I normally assume most people are readin' Kengan on MangaDex.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways the reason I recommended MangaLoader is cause it grabs all the images and puts them on a separate page so it goes through this weird anti-blocker poo poo that Kissmanga has.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The old guy in the wheelchair is on the roof now

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

The old guy in the wheelchair is on the roof now

Holy poo poo I didn't notice that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I fuckin' love the Kures, yo.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love how big operations like this one are basically family reunions

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't notice that.

My god he's a literal jack hammer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Guessing just like, really good instincts/intuition. He's kinda like Kaneda in that he has like, the mental traits that would have succeeded as a fighter but not the physical body for it. Probably could have used those traits to succeed in something else but lacking too much in self-confidence.

It's not too late for Kazuo to become swole. If he trains hard, maybe he could get into peak condition by the third round and replace Ohma, assuming Ohma wins.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kazzy the kure king

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Kazzy is already in peak human condition, he just needs a sudden shock to awaken him to fruits of a lifetime of unconscious training.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd like to post this image in response to this chapter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/454343/1

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

these "power up transformations" fighters are so boring, I hope this fight is quick or pulls the rug on us about something

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Ohma needs to find a way to merge his Niko style and his weird power to truly become great. Either one alone is not enough.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's got two powerful abilities that are polar opposites so being able to merge them would certainly be the textbook shounen final form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ohma's problem is that he hasn't been practicing niko style despite never mastering it. his ridiculous and largely unfounded confidence actively works against him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ohma's gonna use his super form too much and then just outright die after this fight.

Kazzy will have to poach a fighter to survive the tournament, a true test of his skills.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ohma's problem is that he hasn't been practicing niko style despite never mastering it. his ridiculous and largely unfounded confidence actively works against him.

Flashback Niko and these slowly unlocking powers makes it clear, Ohma has definitely been practicing the Niko style but at some point in the past he lost his memory and is now playing catchup. Even just merging the flame and iron katas together in these last few chapters shows he's slowly recalling the full extent of what he knew. But like he said, there's a lag between his body and his mind. His body remembers the techniques, he's just lost in this mental fog of his.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

put it away ohma nobody is impressed

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Could be the cost that mysterious figure is alluding to is Ohma’s memories. Maybe there’s some sort of mind control / losing your mind to it aspect. Hopefully Kazzy snaps him out of it before going over the edge

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ohma's going to lose this round entirely because Kazzy was too distracted by the Kure's threat against his son to buy new shorts for Ohma.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Way too much dialogue in this fight. Kure guy is such a chatterbox.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Raian is the single most boring fighter in this entire tournament, and that includes the gibbering insane guy and Mockey.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Could be the cost that mysterious figure is alluding to is Ohma’s memories. Maybe there’s some sort of mind control / losing your mind to it aspect. Hopefully Kazzy snaps him out of it before going over the edge

Mind and body I think. Ohma is quite literally self-destructing himself when he uses it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Raian is the single most boring fighter in this entire tournament, and that includes the gibbering insane guy and Mockey.

The thing I don't like about the power-up is that it's not really clear how much stronger it makes people. Like, how would Raian with "removal" fare against Julius or the nice swole guy I forget the name of (the one who people have commented on having a chance against the Fang)?

With the sole except of the power-ups, fighters' physical strength seems to mostly correspond to their actual size/muscle mass, which makes sense.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

The thing I don't like about the power-up is that it's not really clear how much stronger it makes people. Like, how would Raian with "removal" fare against Julius or the nice swole guy I forget the name of (the one who people have commented on having a chance against the Fang)?

With the sole except of the power-ups, fighters' physical strength seems to mostly correspond to their actual size/muscle mass, which makes sense.

For me, one of the things this manga is best at is how attacks line up with the fighters getting hurt. Rihito ripping part of your skin off is treated as a big deal. Gigantic hits like Akoya landed on Imai had an obvious toll and added to the tension of the fight. Muteba vs the crazy dude was a cringe-inducing nightmare fight. Even Jun soaking up punishment and fighting through isn't treated as him shrugging it off, he's obviously suffering, he's just bearing it.

So it bugs me that in this fight we see Raian take a bunch of gigantic huge smash attacks that in most of the other fights would have had serious consequences but instead it turns out that due to his Naruto powerup he just...didn't take any damage. It makes it harder to parse what matters in the fight when that kind of stuff happens.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kanos posted:

For me, one of the things this manga is best at is how attacks line up with the fighters getting hurt. Rihito ripping part of your skin off is treated as a big deal. Gigantic hits like Akoya landed on Imai had an obvious toll and added to the tension of the fight. Muteba vs the crazy dude was a cringe-inducing nightmare fight. Even Jun soaking up punishment and fighting through isn't treated as him shrugging it off, he's obviously suffering, he's just bearing it.

So it bugs me that in this fight we see Raian take a bunch of gigantic huge smash attacks that in most of the other fights would have had serious consequences but instead it turns out that due to his Naruto powerup he just...didn't take any damage. It makes it harder to parse what matters in the fight when that kind of stuff happens.

Agreed. The Muteba fight in particular made it clear that ‘feels no pain’ is a very different thing from ‘takes no damage’. We’re still nowhere near Baki levels of physiological nonsense, though, and I really hope it stays that way.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

Mind and body I think. Ohma is quite literally self-destructing himself when he uses it.

Yeah it’s pretty standard shonen to use an ability that shortens your life for mad gains

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

Part of the problem I have with this fight is that the gigantic blows coming from Ohma are being delivered by a guy much smaller than people like Wakatsuki, Julius, Agito, Jun, etc. From the sort of visual understanding of who is physically strong, Ohma clashes with virtually every other fighter in the brackets by being small, yet now punching as hard as the heavyweights. Part of my disconnect with the Niko style is that instead of strictly being the redirect guy with a sprinkle of rage powerups. Over the course of 10 chapters he's gained a punching technique that lets him break boulders and that was previously something only the likes of Wakatsuki could accomplish.

As for Raian, his previous fight already had demonstrated his durability. But against Mokichi the fight felt more like Raian was strong because of his release as he failed to keep up with Mokichi's techniques until he powered up. And since Raian really doesn't have a "style" to his fight, he's just a brawler, it came down to brute force expect all his base stats got a massive upgrade much like the Advance. But I didn't have a problem with that probably because Mokichi is a normal guy so I expect that Raian could handle getting hit by him, and he did show reactions to the the stuff he was getting hit with nonetheless.

Ohma ups the sort of ridiculous nature of Raian's durability since these iron breaker punches being delivered in rapid succession. The other stuff I could accept like the flowing punches or even the football punt since Raian already took a head slam and got back up in his last fight. But now the writing has to justify him tanking all that, still being stronger than Ohma in order to force an advance, and then he has to most likely tank the next stuff since he's not in his final form either.

In a series where no matter how ridiculous some of the fights have been, having two guys that rely on anime powerups really fucks with the writing.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Kanos posted:

Well put.

But we did see Raian getting somewhat damaged though. There was a panel with a "creak" effect around his neck as he gets hit on the head. Hopefully the Kure clan damage gimmick is simply a lack of nerve endings combined with super fast (relatively) healing abilities. He's still taking damage, just not feeling it. That's my wish.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Jerry Tyson had a dent in his face and crumpled hands before showing up perfectly fine in the commentator's booth.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Jerry Tyson had a dent in his face and crumpled hands before showing up perfectly fine in the commentator's booth.

Well yeah, there's this incredibly competent and dedicated doctor working at the arena clinic.

Just make sure you don't sign any forms he passes to you, and remember that "Specimen Consent" does not mean "Special Tournament".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raian's one of my favorite fighters cause he's short and also a poo poo but not in a murdercop way.

Also cause I love the Kures. They are ny favorite genetically modified assassin clan in this manga.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like the Kure because with them it's always about 1300 YEARS OF SELECT BREEDING UNLOCK THE POWER OF YOUR BRAIN and then you have guys like Julius who lifted a lot of weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its not genetic modification its just smashing their heads with metal poles for 1300 years so that they're born with skulls that are resistant to metal poles instead of having to do it as part of training

or was it not metal poles i forget how saw piang did his training