Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've been wanting to get into reduction printing for a while. Can someone tell me what I'll need, what to avoid, and maybe point me toward a decent starter kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Handen posted:

Whenever I see someone doing single colour woodblock prints I have to ask, have you heard of our lord and saviour: reduction prints? Why rely on lines when you could use COLOURS!? :q:

Serious question: How many different cutting knives do you have at your disposal, and what kind? I'm seeing evidence of two sharp V or deep U gouges? With a shallow U gouge or two you could do some neat stuff with pointillist style dapple-work where linework and crosshatching might a.) not turn out as well as you might imagine on paper and b.) become difficult to manage from a mechanical standpoint as you start ripping chunks out of the wood both parallel and perpendicular to the grain.

As far as sealing goes, I've been using matte clear Minwax polycrylic varnish to seal my drawings to lino and it works great, granted your use for something like that and mine aren't exactly the same. My only other thought would be to make sure you're using the appropriate wood for the job.

Edit: Also if you haven't already, follow the #woodblockprint #woodcutprint #linocut and #reductionprint hashtags on instagram for ideas on how other people tackle the problems you might not know how to ask. The day I followed #reductionprint is the day I got hooked.

I've had my eye on reduction printing for awhile now, but my mind works best in one or two colors so I've been focusing on that. I'm trying to gear up to start selling, so the simpler the better for now. Good call on following the tag, though.

I have a #12 V, a few #9 gouges in various sizes, and a few Japanese gouges that are probably about #5. The V and my 3mm #9 are my workhorses (though I'm probably going to grab a 1mm #9), and I need to get the Japanese gouges sharpened and start using them. The wood has been baltic birch plywood, and it's been a champ. I've been sealing with a coat or two of Elmers, which has made printing easier and might actually be helping keep the wood from splintering.

Cheers

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Crosspostin' from daily doodles - here's a bunch of figure drawing highlights from the last couple of months.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Those colors are boss. Marker?

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party

Pick posted:

This is a great tutorial, by the way. I'm not a watercolorist (mostly oils o'er here) but this is a really crisp explanation of how to work well in watercolor. Great work!

EmmyOk posted:

That was a really fun and educational video, I'll definitely be checking out more.

Jack Daniels posted:

Good Goon Art Video.

FunkyAl posted:

Fourth'd on the video, looking forward....to more!

Thanks everyone! Previously my videos have been mostly on animation, and I work full time in animation so I stare at a computer all day so it's really nice to paint on paper for a change!
So nice in fact that I made another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhqEE5I3KA

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love the watercolor videos!

I'm trying to remember how the heck to oil paint again. I did it alot in college but let the skill slip alot. Here's a tiny landscape-

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Completed my full-size sketch for a commission for a friend.

A running gag. Jogging through the sex swamp.

Final version is gonna be shaded. There are a few areas with some strange visual tension I'll address when transferring to the final piece.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

I honestly don't know whether saying "here's how other people do it" is cool in art, but... here's a couple of examples of clouds in printmaking I thought were cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/926m0c/orion_landing_blockprint/
https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/8h7m9u/made_a_3_color_reduction_linocut_of_spacex_falcon/

But I like yours a lot!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

I honestly don't know whether saying "here's how other people do it" is cool in art, but... here's a couple of examples of clouds in printmaking I thought were cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/926m0c/orion_landing_blockprint/
https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/8h7m9u/made_a_3_color_reduction_linocut_of_spacex_falcon/

But I like yours a lot!

The Reference God always appreciates new tributes

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished up this commission today.

A running gag, jogging through the sex swamp. 5x7 ink on bristol.

Happy enough with it. Didn't wanna overrun my time/price budget.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Got a new little sketchbook

Skoora fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 19, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Crossposted from daily drawing.

Here is another sketch for a new mural I am working on.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Figure drawing with crowquill and ink wash, got kinda trippy with the lines

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
im getting some money to paint an image on a car hood whivh is something ive not done before! i want to do it sort of like a reduction print, i have four colors i want to "stencil" on to the car...dpes anyone have suggestions for what a good material to create a stencil like that is

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
I made another one of these videos. This time I used a weird limited palette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2QJHjixtI

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

im getting some money to paint an image on a car hood whivh is something ive not done before! i want to do it sort of like a reduction print, i have four colors i want to "stencil" on to the car...dpes anyone have suggestions for what a good material to create a stencil like that is

Car hoods are pretty big. It might be easier to freehand it on carefully. If that's not an option, I recall fabric stores having adhesive vinyl rolls. Not sure of the cost for a roll, but that might be another option worth exploring. The adhesive might leave residue behind though. Taping together sheets of newsprint might work, but getting it to lay flat could be tricky without using an adhesive.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Duck Party posted:

I enjoy watching your videos. The production is very nice and I enjoy the low-key tone.

I know it's your job, but I'd love a video on story-boarding in the future.

Keep up the good work!

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Duck Party posted:

Franchescanado posted:

I enjoy watching your videos. The production is very nice and I enjoy the low-key tone.

I know it's your job, but I'd love a video on story-boarding in the future.

Keep up the good work!

Agreed, I might try watercolor because of your videos (I've been practicing with pen and ink lately).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Agreed, I might try watercolor because of your videos (I've been practicing with pen and ink lately).

Do it. I've been using watercolors for a few years now, and they're my go-to medium now.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Duck Party posted:

Good Goon Art.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't do a lot of art, but our local art society were doing an 'Art on the seafront' event this weekend, and having made the mistake of talking to artists on the Saturday, they persuaded me to come along on the Sunday.

My perspective is terrible, and I overworked the chalk between the legs of the sea fort, On the other hand, I don't do a lot of large stuff, and don't do chalks and pastels at all.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
UUULAAAAAAAAAAAA

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

couldn't find a fabric thread so I'm puttin this here instead

I've taken up cross stitch! I have no idea what I'm doing but I like it!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober 2018

Sylvia Ji homage.

PITT warm gray brush pens with white jellroll ink on top.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I haven't made a painting in over a year now and although I keep having ideas and buying supplies, when it comes time to sit down and do it I always find something else to do instead.

I feel like my standards have finally exceeded my ability and I'm afraid to try anymore.

How do you all deal with that?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Draw till it passes.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

Crosspostin' from daily doodles - here's a bunch of figure drawing highlights from the last couple of months.

These are great! I've personally got a bit of work to do in learning and practicing muscles/anatomy/landmarks and I really love how you indicated the back muscles on this one. Really beautiful stuff, you made it look effortless.

I managed to get some pet commissions on wood panels (acrylic) so here's a couple cats I painted!

...I've also been taking a figure painting class and slowly learning oils, but I'll post those another time.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 10, 2018

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Aaaand I'm back with a couple a sweet doggo portraits I finished. Acrylic on wood panel:

Sephirine
Aug 6, 2006

Ook ook.
I've learned this mans face very well now after the hours in front of the canvas. Now, I can't decide where to hang it, how about bedroom wall maybe? :)
Acrylics 50x60cm, 10 hours or so...

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
imagur album of art

https://imgur.com/a/EuDbXhg

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I’m working on this tiger pic for Xmas; CC would be excellent as I’m not nuts about the background. The original photo had light, warm rocks in the background, presumably a zoo enclosure.
https://imgur.com/a/mISHCr3

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sephirine posted:

I've learned this mans face very well now after the hours in front of the canvas. Now, I can't decide where to hang it, how about bedroom wall maybe? :)
Acrylics 50x60cm, 10 hours or so...

Is this sincere or... ?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's drawn as the second coming of Jesus, so for most no but some very yes

Sephirine
Aug 6, 2006

Ook ook.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Is this sincere or... ?

It is whatever you want it to be! It is open for interpretation :)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I really like the dogs a lot.

I admire anyone who can get through a Trump painting. I know I couldn't stare at any image of him long enough to make a stick figure

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I’m looking to start with watercolors (a friend has even given me some supplies for a holiday gift :3:) and I’ve started to look online for learning tips and information on using the medium but I’ve noticed something a little odd. A lot of artist forums and posts seem to try to dissuade people from watercolors in favor of acrylic or oils painting instead, stating that water colors are looked down upon or won’t be given the time of day because it’s seen as a beneath high or fine art circles. Is this just internet garbage or is watercolors really seen as inferior to other painting mediums and if so is there a reason? I’m a little baby just taking my first steps into the arting ocean so sorry if this is a dumb thing to ask

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I’m looking to start with watercolors (a friend has even given me some supplies for a holiday gift :3:) and I’ve started to look online for learning tips and information on using the medium but I’ve noticed something a little odd. A lot of artist forums and posts seem to try to dissuade people from watercolors in favor of acrylic or oils painting instead, stating that water colors are looked down upon or won’t be given the time of day because it’s seen as a beneath high or fine art circles. Is this just internet garbage or is watercolors really seen as inferior to other painting mediums and if so is there a reason? I’m a little baby just taking my first steps into the arting ocean so sorry if this is a dumb thing to ask

It's internet garbage. People like oil paintings because they're proven to last the longest with quality, and so are more suited for "serious, fine" art. Acrylics are more affordable and forgiving than oils, and they dry much faster.

People are afraid of watercolors because they take patience, practice, are less forgiving, and are a little harder to preserve 100 years down the road. It sounds like people dissuading others from watercolors are bad at watercolors.

They're a wonderful medium that can be beautiful unpredictable while also allowing for a lot of different uses. I regularly bounce between acrylics, watercolors, gouache and ink, but watercolors are probably my favorite.

Watch some Watercolor by Shibasaki videos to see how beautiful working with watercolors can be.

The trick is to always get the best watercolor paper you can afford, whether its loose or in sketchbooks. Feel free to experiment with different watercolor papers (I've had a lot of luck with $10 sets as well as more expensive paper).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's true for fine art circles not so for illustrator circles and other art venues. You absolutely shouldn't be persuaded to ditch a medium based on what's trendy in fine art however. There's plenty (and more reliable and less soul crushing) ways to make money from art outside of gallery circles. Besides, if you decide you want to get into a gallery later, having multiple mediums will be beneficial. Maybe the gallery you sign up with only wants a particular kind of art from you, and that will leave you free to market and sell your watercolors most likely. (Some gallerys might still be mad at this but others won't so long as it doesn't directly compete with them.). If getting into a "highend" gallery is not a concern to you then that's even more a reason not to care about what they think.

As far as the reason I'm not sure. My guess would be stuff like watercolor/gouache/etc were the medium of choice for commercial art and illustrators before digital. So that might be where some of the stigma comes from, watercolor is certainly as rich and complete an artform as any other. It was the go-to for academic painters for quick sketches so that might also have something to do with it. It's very easy to get a small watercolor kit and a sketchbook and go out and paint whatever you want. It's great that way.

So yeah, gently caress fine art circles, go out and have fun with watercolor. Besides, even if you do eventually switch to a different painting medium I guarantee your time spent learning watercolor will not be wasted. There is so much any painter can learn from watercolor in particular.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 12, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks for both the replies! That clears up a lot for me and explains it. I planned on sticking with watercolors anyway since I like the look and feel of their appearance it was just weird to see it dragged like that without explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Thanks for both the replies! That clears up a lot for me and explains it. I planned on sticking with watercolors anyway since I like the look and feel of their appearance it was just weird to see it dragged like that without explanation

Honestly, a lot of artists are intimidated by watercolors because it uses different techniques from other mediums (for instance, working light to dark instead of dark to light, like with oils and acrylics), slightly different skill sets, and it's the more sensitive medium. It's not as easy to paint over it or fix mistakes.