Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Not a Children posted:

Super NTs should be shipping soon, right? I haven't been able to find any details or updates on that from their website or social media pages. Should I temper my expectations for on-time shipping? It still says end-of-September on their storefront but I haven't found any corroborating information.

I've been wondering this too. It looks like with previous shipping stuff it took about a month to get everything shipped, in order of orders received, so i wouldn't necessarily expect anything super soon. maybe they'll be faster this time though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Karasu Tengu posted:

No, because the Xbox One does an extremely different and way better method of running original Xbox games.

I was under the impression it was the same emulator the X360 uses?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It does, actually. Orta has been fully playable on X360 since April.

Looked it up and apparently it was patched specifically on the X360. I guess some very kind engineers at Microsoft solved the episode 4 bug and realized the same fix would work on the X360.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 24, 2018

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I found a pallet wood MAME crime

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Null of Undefined posted:

I found a pallet wood MAME crime

this is so unbelievable

I always wonder if these people think their creation looks good

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Zand posted:

this is so unbelievable

Honestly the only thing I can’t come to terms with is spending all this time and effort to try and replicate an arcade experience, and then just playing on widescreen.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Honestly the only thing I can’t come to terms with is spending all this time and effort to try and replicate an arcade experience, and then just playing on widescreen.

It's for tate mode, clearly :downs:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

the board the buttons are on has too little clearance above and below the buttons imo... the picture of a washed out stretched crt that gets taken as an example of how cool your cab is makes me think the person who made it is clueless or without taste

there's also no start buttons and that bothers me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It does, actually. Orta has been fully playable on X360 since April.

I might have to plug my 360 into a network again and get the update that lets it run.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Holy poo poo! Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toiysusen has exploded in price over the past few months. It's doubled!

Wha? It was already crazy expensive since it's a treasure game. I wonder what happened (ie, which YouTube/NicoNico superstar featured it).

Zand posted:

this is so unbelievable

At least in this case it's supposed to look a bit rough. I don't like the aesthetic, but it's what they were going for.

That incorrectly set up monitor, on the other hand.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So came back from Goodwill.

The Xbox that was there turned on, but it also flashed orange and green. The AV cable wasn't connected. So I think that was the reason.

That said, the disc drive sounded rough at times, like a DJ scratch, and there was no disc in there. So I think it's bad.

Edit - No game was in the disc drive for reference.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 25, 2018

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
All Xboxes need a video cable plugged in to boot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

falz posted:

All Xboxes need a video cable plugged in to boot.

Yeah, but the CLdisc drive sound worried me. Is it suppose to sound scratchy like that?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Generally most Xbox's should still be fine since they're so recent and they used slightly modified normal PC drives, though there is a particular model with a really bad drive from the factory. Any Xbox with a straight U shape in the drive has a Thompson branded drive and they're really fragile and prone to failing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I've recently gotten back into using my Wii(once I obtained a reasonably decent way of hooking it up to an HD TV) for both it's games and GameCube games and figured I should ask for some recommendations, here's my current library;

Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Battalion Wars 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Wii Sports Resort
Godzilla Unleashed
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
Blast Works
Monster Hunter Tri
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Skylanders: Giants

GameCube
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Sonic Mega Collection
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Gotcha Force
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Zoids Battle Legends
Lost Kingdoms
Bomberman Jetters
Custom Robo
Skies of Arcadia Legends
X-Men Legends
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Beyblade Vforce: Super Tournament Battle*

*only reason I'm listing this one is because of the unusual circumstances in which me and my brother obtained this game, winning it at an official Beyblade tournament we went to, which was probably the most Weeaboo thing we ever did

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't feel too bad, I once won the Simpson's Wrestling game on PS1 from the local Fox affiliate by watching the Simpsons every day for a week and writing down the gag from the chalkboard in the opening.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm going to Japan in a few months. Is the stereotype true that I can get retro Japanese games for a fraction of the price at random Japanese shops compared to eBay prices?

drrockso20 posted:

So I've recently gotten back into using my Wii(once I obtained a reasonably decent way of hooking it up to an HD TV) for both it's games and GameCube games and figured I should ask for some recommendations, here's my current library;

Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Battalion Wars 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Wii Sports Resort
Godzilla Unleashed
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
Blast Works
Monster Hunter Tri
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Skylanders: Giants

Jesus Christ you are missing all of the best games!

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Mario Galaxy 1
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
A Boy and His Blob
No More Heroes
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Rodea: The Sky Soldier
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Little Kings Story

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm going to Japan in a few months. Is the stereotype true that I can get retro Japanese games for a fraction of the price at random Japanese shops compared to eBay prices?

Yes as long as you stay away from the tourist places like Super Potato, that being said, sometimes even the tourist places have great deals if its off tourist season, so just check them out. I also find a lot of great deals on Monday-Wed, vice weekends, as the stores get slammed, by.. tourists.

I just got back from a recent trip, so I'll try to look up my list of places I hit. Where at you going and what type of retro stuff are you getting? This last trip for me was only to pick up arcade PCBs, although I did look at some SFC and Neo Geo AES stuff.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Has anyone worked with one of these universal CRT chassis to retrofit a tube or replace a bad chassis?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Replacement-Arcade-Monitor-chassis-25-27-29-CRT/120966957215

Curious if they're straight up rubbish before I bother removing old chassis and taking ohm measurements to see if it's even compatible. This is for an arcade cabinet. While I already have an arcade CRT, i want to 'downres' it from 480p to native 240 to simplify its circuitry.

I also believe you could just gut a consumer TV's tube and use it with this if its in the right resistance.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

XtraSmiley posted:

Yes as long as you stay away from the tourist places like Super Potato, that being said, sometimes even the tourist places have great deals if its off tourist season, so just check them out. I also find a lot of great deals on Monday-Wed, vice weekends, as the stores get slammed, by.. tourists.

I just got back from a recent trip, so I'll try to look up my list of places I hit. Where at you going and what type of retro stuff are you getting? This last trip for me was only to pick up arcade PCBs, although I did look at some SFC and Neo Geo AES stuff.

I assume I shouldn't be a piece of poo poo and buy rare games on the cheap and flip them for profit for eBay.

I doubt I'll buy anything, but maybe a few MegaDrive games.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assume I shouldn't be a piece of poo poo and buy rare games on the cheap and flip them for profit for eBay.

If I give you money could you pick me up an MSX2+?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If I give you money could you pick me up an MSX2+?

Sure.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Hell yeah. If you come across one lemme know the price

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Toejam & Earl III is good :colbert:

Obviously not everything about it is good, but if you sit down and actually play the thing it's enjoyable. I've completed the game several times.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I dunno where you are planning to visit but if you want stuff that isn’t ULTRA rare I love going to places in the smaller cities like Manga Souko, Book Off/Hard Off, GEO, etc. Prices are way more reasonable than Akiba’s big stores.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pegnose Pete posted:

I dunno where you are planning to visit but if you want stuff that isn’t ULTRA rare I love going to places in the smaller cities like Manga Souko, Book Off/Hard Off, GEO, etc. Prices are way more reasonable than Akiba’s big stores.

If you're at all interested in old computers or arcade PCBs, BEEP is pretty cool but hard to notice from the outside. It's a little further away from Super Potato and not in that kind of fancy bazaar section.

https://metropolisjapan.com/beep-akihabara/

It definitely carries a price tag that is worthy of the real estate, though, so you probably won't find a deal so much as confusingly well-preserved artifacts of the past. You can play a ton of games for free on original hardware.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nah, you should be a piece of poo poo. Most of that has already happened by the Japanese, the Italians and Spanish, so it's not really worth it at this point. Yeah, you can get deals here and there (saw a Japanese 240p 3DO for $50, sells on eBay for $250), but it really wasn't worth my effort to do it, especially when I could fill my suitcases up with poo poo I wanted to keep.

I make plenty of money though, a $100 profit doesn't float my boat to deal with eBay for 2 weeks, your mileage may vary?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're at all interested in old computers or arcade PCBs, BEEP is pretty cool but hard to notice from the outside. It's a little further away from Super Potato and not in that kind of fancy bazaar section.

https://metropolisjapan.com/beep-akihabara/

It definitely carries a price tag that is worthy of the real estate, though, so you probably won't find a deal so much as confusingly well-preserved artifacts of the past. You can play a ton of games for free on original hardware.

Beep is awesome, I spent about almost $2k in there alone! If you're really looking for console stuff, smaller towns with Book-Offs and Hard-Offs are the way to go. I got some dog-bone NES controllers for $5!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ you are missing all of the best games!

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Mario Galaxy 1
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
A Boy and His Blob
No More Heroes
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Rodea: The Sky Soldier
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Little Kings Story

Just a clarification regarding Rodea; literally any WiiU copy should have it included, you can ignore the "first print copies have it!!" stuff.

Gamecube
Rogue Squadron 2&3
Lost Kingdom 2 (it's WAAAY better than the original, AND you can transfer your cards over)
Metroid Prime: Echoes
Pikmin 1&2
Luigi's Mansion
Eternal Darkness
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Wii
Metroid Prime: Corruption
Disaster: Day of Crisis (PAL only)
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Red Steel 2

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wii: lost in shadow

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I found a remarkably healthy 37" Philips plasma screen outside, no HDMI, only DVI+D with HDCP support, RGB Scart, etc. Is retrogaming a no-no unless kept under X hour long sessions?

Watching blu-ray films on this I am blown away, and colourful PS3 games have never been this glorious before.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

drrockso20 posted:

GameCube
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Sonic Mega Collection
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Gotcha Force
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Zoids Battle Legends
Lost Kingdoms
Bomberman Jetters
Custom Robo
Skies of Arcadia Legends
X-Men Legends
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Beyblade Vforce: Super Tournament Battle*
Definitely Pikmin 1 and 2. Pikmin 2 is perhaps the best Gamecube game and easily top 10 in the entire GCN/PS2/Xbox generation.

What are you doing controller-wise? I'm trying to rebuild my own collection but I don't want to spend $120 on four Wavebirds.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Is a recently capped PVM20M4U worth $700? If so, is it one of the better PVMs for SNES and PS1? Is 800 lines of resolution "too much" that I should actually be looking for one with lower number of lines?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Is a recently capped PVM20M4U worth $700? If so, is it one of the better PVMs for SNES and PS1? Is 800 lines of resolution "too much" that I should actually be looking for one with lower number of lines?

More like $400 at most.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Monopthalmus posted:

More like $400 at most.

Ah thanks. The cheapest I see on ebay is like $800. I appreciate it

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Ah thanks. The cheapest I see on ebay is like $800. I appreciate it

PVMs still pop up on eBay for reasonable prices (usually as auctions that end at actual market value, rather than the wishful-thinking numbers people use on their Buy It Nows). Create a saved search and sign up for email notifications on it and eventually you'll come across one for a realistic price.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1044943278271942657?s=21

Yeah, I'll buy those games again.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Cool, easy platinum trophies.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

chance of a switch version? :pray:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

chance of a switch version? :pray:

No, Sony is explicitly helping them with this quick and dirty port, for whatever reason.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

No, Sony is explicitly helping them with this quick and dirty port, for whatever reason.

It might be based on the PSP version, too, based on screenshots, but hard to say definitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

It might be based on the PSP version, too, based on screenshots, but hard to say definitively.

I believe it's supposed to be the originals for both games but also, Rondo wasn't translated until the PSP version so that's probably somewhat right.

In any case it's more expensive and contains less content than the PSP collection.