Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

would i fire an employee going 'it is not rape if you're drunk' in a public discussion about the harassment policy of a trade show the company was organizing? yes, yes i would

this is perfectly reasonable, so will fly over the heads of any of the anti-coc trolls. that post meritocracy manifesto sounds dumb as poo poo, but maybe dont post your lovely beliefs about rape/gender/race/religion for the entire world to see, and you wont have the sjws chasing you with pitchforks.

wayland works fine out of the box in fedora, but im only using it now because its literally the path of least resistance. if i had to put 5 minutes of time into it, thered be no point to using it. it sounds like theyre making progress on screen sharing and some other things but thats a pretty low bar.

firefox support has been "very soon" for a long time. id settle for 2018 being the year of firefox supporting wayland, but i doubt that will even happen:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=Wayland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Personally, I’m not cut out to go to these undergraduate parties where they get girls drunk to rape them, so both the perpetrators and the victims can go burn in hell for all I care!!
      - Code of Conflict, section 3 subsection 14

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

women have been complaining about ts’o’s rape apology ever since he said those things. it’s not some new thing where rabid sjws are seeing a coc and immediately going digging through random people’s post histories looking for things to take out of context and be offended by

No it isn't, absolutely not. But two things to remember - The general public associates rape with violence. I'm sure that will change in my lifetime, which is good. So publicly calling someone a rape apologist carries a whole different connotation.

The second is that survivors of violent sexual assault (not all of which are women) may well agree with Theo. Dismissing his opinion is dismissing theirs as well. It's not a good thing to speak for entire classes of people.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Max Facetime posted:

Personally, I’m not cut out to go to these undergraduate parties where they get girls drunk to rape them, so both the perpetrators and the victims can go burn in hell for all I care!!
      - Code of Conflict, section 3 subsection 14

You know, he would agree with you that deliberately getting someone drunk is rape. Also, not all rape victims are women.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

my advice to theo is twofold: start going by the nickname "general" because everyone loves general tsos chicken, and every time you feel like writing 20 paragraphs about rape, consider writing something about linux instead

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Helicity posted:

wayland works fine out of the box in fedora, but im only using it now because its literally the path of least resistance. if i had to put 5 minutes of time into it, thered be no point to using it. it sounds like theyre making progress on screen sharing and some other things but thats a pretty low bar.

firefox support has been "very soon" for a long time. id settle for 2018 being the year of firefox supporting wayland, but i doubt that will even happen:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=Wayland

So far it seems like it's just going to be another layer on the leaning tower of X. nVidia isn't even getting behind it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Like, is the entire linux graphical stack still trying to solve the 1983 problem of their being hundreds of types of dumb terminals?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You know, he would agree with you that deliberately getting someone drunk is rape. Also, not all rape victims are women.

it’s not whether he thinks something is or isn’t rape where his problem is, his problem is he seems to think that a little bit of rape isn’t that much of a problem between friends or drunk undergrads

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Helicity posted:

my advice to theo is twofold: start going by the nickname "general" because everyone loves general tsos chicken, and every time you feel like writing 20 paragraphs about rape, consider writing something about linux instead

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Max Facetime posted:

it’s not whether he thinks something is or isn’t rape where his problem is, his problem is he seems to think that a little bit of rape isn’t that much of a problem between friends or drunk undergrads

Yeah. I can't speak to the rest of the world but the US is still trying to figure out how to define that, much less deal with it in a just way for both people. It isn't for me or anyone else to tell someone whether they were raped. What justice should be depends on the circumstance and that's something the US has to decide on.

I'm only saying Ts'os' opinions aren't outside the norm for the US. He is a google's employee (who didn't censure him) that contributes to the kernel project. What Sharp did played into the fears that the CoC would be applied to police general beliefs rather than actions.

I'm the treasurer of a dork organization that had the same growing pains. We never would have gotten a sensible harassment policy without taking people's concerns seriously. In the end some people still left on principle (the board of directors shouldn't be able to ban people), but we reached something we could mostly agree on. Linus is finally loosening his grip on how kernel development is done, and like I said I hope to see a system like Debian replace the dictatorship.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 25, 2018

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
ESR has always been a little sniveling poo poo about licensing.

https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

TL/DR - ESR acts like a diva for his contributions to ncurses, holding the GNU project hostage since so much depended on it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tankakern posted:

and who the gently caress cares what esr has to say about anything
he has intimate access to a copyright attorney

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

he has intimate access to a copyright attorney

It's so funny how quickly these freedom-of-speech, snowflake-calling dorks will censor and whine at people when their privilege is questioned. It would be nice if his face had intimate access to a fart.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 25, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sure, Linux developers are smart, but not that smart. If all of the lovely toxic people (Torvalds, T'so) stepped down, they'd be able to continue to maintain the kernel just fine. So please just eject the terrible people. Then maybe smarter people who are smart enough to know not to deal with such a toxic environment might finally join. Probably not, but might.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Athena widgets by default.

Who started pushing wayland as an X replacement anyways? I've been seeing that it's coming since like 2012, but so far it hasn't swooped in and saved us from 1980s system constraints.

Red Hat started the Wayland push in 2013 with me & Giovanni leading the project, then I stepped aside to go to Endless in 2014 and Giovanni went to grad school. Since then, Jonas, Oliver and Rui have been carrying the torch from the Red Hat side.

Wayland is usable today, but a big reason complicated is because there's just *a lot* to do. Similar to WMs: making a toy compositor is simple, but making a serious, production-ready one is hard. The original intention of Wayland was "compositors are 500loc and it's simple", with Weston (then called "wayland-demos") being just a reference & experimental implementation, but as we put more and more into mutter and Wayland, that strategy quickly became untenable and that's where you see e.g. libweston step in.

If you use a toy WM like i3 and want to use a toy Wayland compositor, sure, something like sway is fine and works for you today. In fact, features like "when I plug in the external monitor it should turn on and autoconfigure" are seen as a negative in that world. But turns out there's a lot of complexity in that sort of plumbing.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
x1 carbon 6th gen firmware 1.30 trip report: after switching sleep mode to "Linux", all of the weird sleep/wakeup issues have totally disappeared, my session has not crashed after wakeup, bluetooth has kept working after wakeup, battery drains less during sleep

who thought s0i3 sleep was a good idea again? so a mail client can check email once in a while when the laptop is asleep or stuff like that, accoridng to what im reading? who wants that in a laptop, what problem does that actually solve?

i am very pleasantly surprised with the firmware update to allow s3 sleep, thanks lenovo, thlenovo

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

It's so funny how quickly these freedom-of-speech, snowflake-calling dorks will censor and whine at people when their privilege is questioned. It would be nice if a chunk of lead had intimate access to his face.

He has pretty marked cerebral palsy and I'm not sure how well he sees or hears. I recall reading somewhere that he was once mocked by Bill Gates at a talk in the early 1980s in part because how he asked his question. I'm not really sure his place in the kyriarchy but I don't know how privileged I'd say he is. It's likely he has some cognitive dysfunction and I think I remember reading somewhere about epilepsy. I know he can't have caffeine because his heart is weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7pSfWpTvC4

I really bought into the Revolution OS hype as a late teen. When I turned 21 I realized how weird everyone in the movement was. I'm not sure there is a single person worth idolizing in tech.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i switched to kde. i think it's more thought out with regards to configuration than gnome 3 ever was. there's a bug in konsole with display scaling where updated text sometimes gets underlined. i don't think it's using wayland but i dont really care. i just realized now there's probably their own kde login manager i should look into if i want to complete the experience.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Red Hat started the Wayland push in 2013 with me & Giovanni leading the project, then I stepped aside to go to Endless in 2014 and Giovanni went to grad school. Since then, Jonas, Oliver and Rui have been carrying the torch from the Red Hat side.

Wayland is usable today, but a big reason complicated is because there's just *a lot* to do. Similar to WMs: making a toy compositor is simple, but making a serious, production-ready one is hard. The original intention of Wayland was "compositors are 500loc and it's simple", with Weston (then called "wayland-demos") being just a reference & experimental implementation, but as we put more and more into mutter and Wayland, that strategy quickly became untenable and that's where you see e.g. libweston step in.

I remember reading a blurb about wayland in 2009 or 2010 and I recall it being pitched as an alternative to X on super lightweight devices.

How is/did endless go? I stopped posting around the time you guys launched and I never really followed up?

quote:

If you use a toy WM like i3 and want to use a toy Wayland compositor, sure, something like sway is fine and works for you today. In fact, features like "when I plug in the external monitor it should turn on and autoconfigure" are seen as a negative in that world. But turns out there's a lot of complexity in that sort of plumbing.

Yes... One of my two attempts to contribute to the kernel was to create a way to maintain aspect ratio on external monitors for laptops with intel HD graphics. The only way was unsuitable for inclusion (imo) and I gave up quick on trying to understand xlib so you could set the mode through xrandr.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
esr has always been a minor figure in open source who’s been able to greatly inflate his importance by spending a lot of time engaging with “pop” news sites like slashdot and hn. his technical contributions — both code and design — pale next to those of thousands of other contributors who’ve gone nameless outside their communities because they aren’t egomaniacs. his net overall contributions are basically negative because of his repeated and inevitable toxic blow-ups that destroy months of time for the actually productive contributors. go look at that ncurses timeline and try to reconstruct an alternate history in which esr never showed up

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

i switched to kde. i think it's more thought out with regards to configuration than gnome 3 ever was. there's a bug in konsole with display scaling where updated text sometimes gets underlined. i don't think it's using wayland but i dont really care. i just realized now there's probably their own kde login manager i should look into if i want to complete the experience.

If your going all in on KDE they have their own distro. https://neon.kde.org/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the only setting i'm still missing in vanilla kde is an option for maximize to fill free desktop space instead of just going fullscreen. kwin-tiling works fine for now, though

Lysidas posted:

who thought s0i3 sleep was a good idea again? so a mail client can check email once in a while when the laptop is asleep or stuff like that, accoridng to what im reading? who wants that in a laptop, what problem does that actually solve?

but then you have to wait about half a second for your new emails to arrive!!1

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

kde is the closest linux to being windows which is still the best that a inux can be

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

esr has always been a minor figure in open source who’s been able to greatly inflate his importance by spending a lot of time engaging with “pop” news sites like slashdot and hn. his technical contributions — both code and design — pale next to those of thousands of other contributors who’ve gone nameless outside their communities because they aren’t egomaniacs. his net overall contributions are basically negative because of his repeated and inevitable toxic blow-ups that destroy months of time for the actually productive contributors. go look at that ncurses timeline and try to reconstruct an alternate history in which esr never showed up

Even his contributions to ncurses weren't all that technical. He mostly created all the terminfo entries. I mostly knew him from his garbage version of the jargon file.

As someone with a genetic illness I feel badly for the guy. I'm sure he derives the entirety of his self worth from his identity as the last of the old school hackers because of being trapped in a garbage body his entire life. Instead of saying maybe we should change our culture to be more inclusive he's likely externalizing the abuse and isolation he's faced because for the only time in his life he's superior to.. someone?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SYSV Fanfic posted:

He has pretty marked cerebral palsy and I'm not sure how well he sees or hears. I recall reading somewhere that he was once mocked by Bill Gates at a talk in the early 1980s in part because how he asked his question. I'm not really sure his place in the kyriarchy but I don't know how privileged I'd say he is. It's likely he has some cognitive dysfunction and I think I remember reading somewhere about epilepsy. I know he can't have caffeine because his heart is weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7pSfWpTvC4

I really bought into the Revolution OS hype as a late teen. When I turned 21 I realized how weird everyone in the movement was. I'm not sure there is a single person worth idolizing in tech.
its bill gates

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Lysidas posted:

x1 carbon 6th gen firmware 1.30 trip report: after switching sleep mode to "Linux", all of the weird sleep/wakeup issues have totally disappeared, my session has not crashed after wakeup, bluetooth has kept working after wakeup, battery drains less during sleep

i am very pleasantly surprised with the firmware update to allow s3 sleep, thanks lenovo, thlenovo

Same

they even joined lvfs project so you dont need to create a bootable usb everytime, juste use fwupd to update

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'd be more inclined to tag ESR as "falsely-conscious lumpen" than "privileged petit bourgeois"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I remember reading a blurb about wayland in 2009 or 2010 and I recall it being pitched as an alternative to X on super lightweight devices.

How is/did endless go? I stopped posting around the time you guys launched and I never really followed up?

I ended up disillusioned and left a year and a half ago. Didn't end up working out for me in the long run, but I still think it was a great move. A few months ago they had a round of layoffs.

It's a great place if you want to work on Linux poo poo all day funded by a billionaire (sound familiar?). Don't go there to actually ship products.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I ironically read esr's blog (and its comments) as entertainment and it's been fabulous over the years

the tron guy is a regular

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

there are millions of people on this planet who have cerebral palsy and only one of them actually wrote : http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=5001

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The second is that survivors of violent sexual assault (not all of which are women) may well agree with Theo. Dismissing his opinion is dismissing theirs as well. It's not a good thing to speak for entire classes of people.
Hey, I'm one of those people you're trying to use as rhetorical ammunition.

Go gently caress yourself.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

fritz posted:

there are millions of people on this planet who have cerebral palsy and only one of them actually wrote : http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=5001

I'm not defending his views. I'm just saying I feel badly for him the same way I feel badly for the woman who got memed as triggly puff. You can think someone's views are garbage and still have compassion.

Most white people can't even admit they are racist, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Peeny Cheez posted:

Hey, I'm one of those people you're trying to use as rhetorical ammunition.

Go gently caress yourself.

There is an arrest warrant and extradition order lodged in every country with an extradition order for my rapist. If he is ever extradited he faces 40 years in prison for my case alone. Does my experience not count?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So yeah since you went there, you are entitled to your opinion on theo's poo poo but don't dare speak for me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

So yeah since you went there, you are entitled to your opinion on theo's poo poo but don't dare speak for me.

are you a maskenfreiheit alt?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jit bull transpile posted:

are you a maskenfreiheit alt?

No. Look at my reg date. Extremely hosed up poo poo happens to a lot of people.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SYSV Fanfic posted:

But I didn't try to do that and I didn't speculate about your opinions or anyone else's so double gently caress yourself for trying to pull this poo poo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Peeny Cheez posted:

But I didn't try to do that and I didn't speculate about your opinions or anyone else's so double gently caress yourself for trying to pull this poo poo.

"As someone who falls into the later group..." - yeah you did. You didn't consider for a loving second I could be talking about myself.

I'm good and triggered, but my opinion as a survivor of first class rape of a child Theo is not a "rape apologist" in any way that would justify him being removed. If Sharp wanted an independent committee to evaluate harassment claims she picked a really, really lovely way to go about it. So enjoy my meltdown and buy me a custom AV if you guys are pissed about it. I couldn't let it go and I'm sorry for going on about it for pages. Maybe it will die down I don't know... gently caress. sorry.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

YOSPOS IS A SAFE SPACE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

funy compuetr