Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, what's all this then?

This is Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - henceforth referred to simply as Ultra Despair Girls or UDG for short - a spinoff of the Danganronpa series released for the PlayStation Vita in Japan in September of 2014 and in the other regions in September of 2015. It was then ported to the PlayStation 4 and Windows PCs, with those ports being released in June 2017. I'll be playing on that Windows port for ease of recording, by the way. Anyway, contrary to the previous two games' visual novel and puzzle mixture gameplay, this game takes a bit of a departure from that, mixing the visual novel segments with third-person adventuring, incorporating both shooter and hack-and-slash elements.

...they made a Danganronpa third-person-shooter?

...kinda, yeah. I promise it's not as bad as it sounds!

I heard some really bad things about this game.

Yeah, the reception for this game has been, uh, let's call it controversial. It's not all that well liked. Which might make this LP a bit awkward, because I really like this game. I feel like I have to say this beforehand so there's no wrong expectations about what this LP is going to be, because I'm fairly sure that there's a decent part of the potential audience here that would have preferred a teardown over what I'm going to present, which is more going to be showing off what I love about this game with a generally positive tone. So, just so you know.

Is there something I should know before going into this game?

Well, the game just expects you to have played the first two games - Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair. As such, you should know what happens in those games. If you don't, FPZero has you covered with LPs of the first game and the second game. Note that the thread for the second game starts dropping spoilers for UDG after the conclusion of the game, so be aware of that.

Speaking of spoilers...

No spoilers. loving period. Not with tags, not with anything. No spoilers. Stuff relating to DR1 and DR2 is obviously fair game, since UDG assumes that you've played both, but UDG and everything afterwards (which is mainly DR3, the anime, and DRV3, the third mainline game) is completely off limits. I will be anal about this.

One caveat to that rule: If I, by virtue of being an eternal fuckup, spoil something by mistake, do not point it out in the thread. Maybe send me a PM or something, but don't point it out directly in the thread, since all that does is just draw more attention to it. I will be paying extra attention to not loving up in that manner, but I've learned to never assume that I'll be able to not gently caress up.

Alright, so what's the LP going to be like?

Screenshot style. We'll have mainly screenshot stuff with some videos interspersed to show off particular segments, be they dialogue sections, animated movies or gameplay. Videos will be designated with this type of image:

Also, because there's going to be a lot of videos, I'm going to institute a sort of "seal of approval" thing. Videos that I particularly think you should watch will be designated with this type of image:

Note that during the first few updates, there will probably be a larger amount of videos with the seal of approval - it'll go down when we get into major gameplay. Also also, I have an icon to signify that a character is talking in a voiceover. It looks like this:

Otherwise, it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. And with that said, let's get this show on the road!

Prologue - The Warriors Of Hope

Update I
Update II

Extra - DR1 Recap
Extra - DR2 Recap

Update III
Update IV
Update V

Chapter 1 - Crying for Love in Hell

Update VI
Update VII
Update VIII
Update IX
Update X
Update XI
Update XII
Update XIII
Update XIV

Chapter 2 - Legend of the Revolution

Update XV
Update XVI
Update XVII
Update XVIII
Update XIX
Update XX
Update XXI
Update XXII
Update XXIII
Update XXIV
Update XXV
Update XXVI

Chapter 3 - Cute Girl's Battlefield

Update XXVII
Update XXVIII
Update XXIX
Update XXX
Update XXXI
Update XXXII
Update XXXIII
Update XXXIV

Chapter 4 - The Way We Live

Update XXXV
Update XXXVI
Update XXXVII
Update XXXVIII
Update XXXIX
Update XL
Update XLI
Update XLII

Chapter 5 - Absolute Despair Girl

Update XLIII
Update XLIV
Update XLV
Update XLVI
Update XLVII
Update XLVIII
Update XLIX - Part I
Update XLIX - Part II
Update L

Epilogue - The Changing World We Made

Update LI

Extra - Ultra Despair Hagakure

Update LII

Extra - Voice Actor Talk by SoundwaveAU

Voice Actor Talk 1 - Komaru / Byakuya / Nagito
Voice Actor Talk 2 - Toko / Genocide Jack
Voice Actor Talk 3 - Masaru / Jataro / Yuta
Voice Actor Talk 4 - Haiji / Hiroko / Shirokuma / Kurokuma
Voice Actor Talk 5 - Kotoko / Nagisa / Monaca

-----------------------------------------

So, what's all this then?

This is Danganronpa 3: The End Of Hope's Peak Academy, an anime that begun airing in July 2016.

Wait, what?

Yeah, for some reason Kodaka decided that the culmination of the Hope's Peak saga, primarily contained in video games, should be made into an anime. I mean, it's Kodaka, there's no gain in trying to make sense of his decisions.

No, I mean, why are you doing this?

Because I want this to be covered in some way. Before somebody goes on to do DRV3, we should at least have somewhere somebody can go and see what happened in this anime, just for completion's sake.

But the actual answer is because I'm stupid, and have bad ideas.

Point taken. What's it about?

Well, Kodaka decided to get a bit creative with this. The story being told is split into two, with there being a Future Side and a Despair Side, with episodes trading off the two sides. The Future Side will focus on Makoto Naegi at Future Foundation after the events of DR2. Future Foundation isn't exactly too happy about Makoto going rogue in the situation with the Remnants of Despair, and as such, they're having an internal trial for treason. From there, the situation will escalate. On the other hand, the Despair Side goes all the way back to the beginning, before The Incident has even happened. We're going to join the 77th Class, the characters from DR2, at Hope's Peak and see the events that would eventually lead them to becoming the Remnants of Despair.

And how are you going to do this?

Well, it's mainly going to be a play-by-play sort of thing, mixed in with screenshots. I'm not going to transcribe all dialogue and that kind of thing, just give a general overview of what happens and what is being said, though I will be quoting particular lines that are important or... notable. The latter will become particularly relevant, since I'm going to be doing this using the dubbed version. The dub is... special in parts. For this reason, I will also be giving you a "dub showcase" video at some point. There's some lines that are just better heard.

Now, let's get going.

Episode 1 - Future Side, Episode 1: Third time's the charm
Episode 2 - Despair Side, Episode 1: Hello Again, Hope's Peak High School
Episode 3 - Future Side, Episode 2: Hang the Witch
Episode 4 - Despair Side, Episode 2: My Impurest Heart for You
Episode 5 - Future Side, Episode 3: Cruel violence and hollow words
Episode 6 - Despair Side, Episode 3: A Farewell to All Futures
Episode 7 - Future Side, Episode 4: Who is a liar
Episode 8 - Despair Side, Episode 4: The Melancholy, Surprise, and Disappearance of Nagito Komaeda
Episode 9 - Future Side, Episode 5: Dreams of distant days
Episode 10 - Despair Side, Episode 5: The Beginning Of The End
Episode 11 - Future Side, Episode 6: No man is an island
Episode 12 - Despair Side, Episode 6: A Despairfully Fateful Encounter
Episode 13 - Future Side, Episode 7: Ultra Despair Girls
Episode 14 - Despair Side, Episode 7: The Biggest, Most Atrocious Incident in Hope's Peak High School's History
Episode 15 - Future Side, Episode 8: Who Killed Cock Robin
Episode 16 - Despair Side, Episode 8: The Worst Reunion by Chance
Episode 17 - Future Side, Episode 9: You are my reason to Die
Episode 18 - Despair Side, Episode 9: Chisa Yukizome Doesn't Smile
Episode 19 - Future Side, Episode 10: Death, Destruction, Despair
Episode 20 - Despair Side, Episode 10: Smile at Despair in the Name of Hope
Episode 21 - Future Side, Episode 11: All good things
Episode 22 - Despair Side, Episode 11: Goodbye, Hope's Peak High School
Episode 23 - Future Side, Episode 12: It is always darkest
Episode 24 - Hope Side: The School of Hope and the Students of Despair

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Character Profiles - will contain spoilers for already posted updates:

Komaru Naegi posted:

Height: 5'4''
Weight: 108 lbs
Vitals: 33''
DOB: May 31st
Blood: Type A

- Girl's Manga
- Whatever's trending

Dislikes:

- Lightning
- Rainy Season

Bio: A "normal girl", little sister to the "Ultimate Hope" Makoto Naegi. Doesn't have any special talents. Has been imprisoned in a Towa City apartment for a year and a half.

Toko Fukawa posted:

Height: 5'3''
Weight: 104 lbs
Vitals: 31''
DOB: March 3rd
Blood: Type O

- Byakuya Togami
- Romance novels

Dislikes:

- Light novels
- Manga

Bio: Former student of Hope's Peak Academy and the "Ultimate Writing Prodigy", famous as a young novelist. Currently a Future Foundation intern. In love with co-worker Byakuya Togami.

Genocide Jack posted:

Height: 5'3''
Weight: 104 lbs
DOB: March 3rd

- Byakuya Togami
- Adorable boys

Dislikes:

- Unadorable boys
- Unadorable girls

Bio: The other personality that lurks inside Toko Fukawa. A former serial killer that solely targeted "adorable little men". Eccentric, energetic, and also in love with Byakuya Togami.

Byakuya Togami posted:

Height: 6'1''
Weight: 150 lbs
Vitals: 32''
DOB: May 5th
Blood: Type B

- Coffee
- French

Dislikes:

- Plebeians
- Microwave meals

Bio: Former student of Hope's Peak Academy and successor to Togami Group. Survived the school killing incident along with Makoto Naegi and Toko Fukawa.

Makoto Naegi posted:

Height: 5'2''
Weight: 115 lbs
Vitals: 30''
DOB: February 5th

- Curry
- Trendy things

Dislikes:

- Dried mackerel
- Dried bean curd

Bio: Former student of Hope's Peak Academy and older brother of Komaru Naegi. By defeating the "Ultimate Despair" during the school killing incident, he earned the title "Ultimate Hope".

Servant posted:

Height: 5'9''
Weight: 143 lbs
DOB: April 28th

- Beautiful things
- Beautiful people

Dislikes:

- Noisy places
- Ugly people

Bio: Ever since he was captured by the Warriors of Hope, he serves as their "Servant". However, he appears to have ulterior motives. He believes hope to be the most precious thing on Earth.

Masaru Daimon posted:

Height: 4'3''
Weight: 77 lbs
Vitals: 24''
DOB: May 7th

- Soccer
- Vaulting

Dislikes:

- Math
- Cigarettes

Bio: Hero and "leader" of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate P.E.". Super skilled at physical activities and sports. Though he is boastful, the others rarely take him seriously.

Jataro Kemuri posted:

Height: 4'3''
Weight: 66 lbs
Vitals: 21''
DOB: February 29th

- Being hated
- Washing machines

Dislikes:

- Being liked
- Himself

Bio: Priest of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Art" who can handle any arts and crafts. Acknowledges and encourages being greatly disliked by his friends and himself.

Kotoko Utsugi posted:

Height: 4'4''
Weight: 64 lbs
Vitals: 26''
DOB: June 13th

- Peeled chestnuts
- Adorbs stuff

Dislikes:

- Unpeeled chestnuts
- Regular cute stuff

Bio: Fighter of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Drama" who used to be a famous child actor. Loves "adorbs" things and actively collects them.

Nagisa Shingetsu posted:

Height: 4'5''
Weight: 73 lbs
Vitals: 23''
DOB: October 23rd
Blood: Type AB

- Dictionaries
- Monaca

Dislikes:

- Earthworms
- Needles

Bio: Sage and vice leader of the Warriors of Hope. The "Li'l Ultimate Social Studies". Is more mature than the other Warriors of Hope, and thus often plays the role of babysitter.

Monaca posted:

Height: 4'4''
Weight: 62 lbs
Vitals: 26''
DOB: April 1st
Blood: Type B

- Free period
- Warm futons

Dislikes:

- Alone time
- Cold meals

Bio: Mage of the Warriors of Hope. The “Li'l Ultimate Homeroom" who loves to exchange opinions with everyone. She cannot walk and thus uses a wheelchair.

Hiroko Hagakure posted:

Height: 5'6''
Weight: 115 lbs
Vitals: 35''
DOB: July 5th
Blood: Blood Type A

- Cigarettes
- Alcohol

Dislikes:

- Mother in Law
- Men with no balls

Bio: Woman hiding from the children in the underground base. She's impatient with the other adults for not doing more to help, but she understands their hesitation.

Taichi Fujisaki posted:

Height: 5'8''
Weight: 150 lbs
DOB: November 8th
Blood: Blood Type AB

- Laptop
- His child

Dislikes:

- Snakes
- Frogs

Bio: Man who Komaru and Toko met at Towa Tower. Was killed by a Beast Monokuma after activating the elevator. His only regret is not being able to see his child one last time.

Shirokuma posted:

Height: 3'3''
Weight: ???
Vitals: ???
DOB: ???
Blood: ???

- World Peace
- Flower meadows

Dislikes:

- Fighting
- Verbal Abuse

Bio: Idol of the adults and loved by the Resistance members. Whenever he goes outside, he rescues injured adults and brings them to the secret base. A pacifist who believes in peace.

Kurokuma posted:

Height: 3'3''
Weight: ???
Vitals: ???
DOB: ???
Blood: ???

- Good Vibes
- Dope things

Dislikes:

- Wack things
- poo poo rhymes

Bio: Bear-shaped robot who pushed the idea of killing all the adults. Wears gold accessories to be more "hip hop". A rapid-fire talker who doesn't shut up once he starts talking.

Haiji Towa posted:

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 159 lbs
Vitals: 34''
DOB: August 9th
Blood: Blood Type O

- Young girls
- Quiet girls

Dislikes:

- Old girls
- Noisy girls

Bio: Leader of the Resistance that hides inside the underground secret base. Though he claims to be working on a plan, he never executes. Son of Tokuichi Towa.

Yuta Asahina posted:

Height: 5'5''
Weight: 130 lbs
DOB: September 4th
Blood: Blood Type O

- Sweet bean paste
- Track and Field

Dislikes:

- Math
- Boredom

Bio: Boy who Komaru and Toko met at the bridge. Attempted to swim across the gap, but was caught in an explosion and lost to the sea.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 6, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, here we are. We're greeted by the familiar Spike Chunsoft logo...

...the probably familiar Criware logo...

...and a piracy notice with some little Monokuma doodles...

♪ BGM: Absolute? Despair? Girl?

...before being dropped on the main menu. While we're here, a quick word on the music. This game has gone with a bit of a different style of music compared to the first two games. To try and describe it, I would take this route: The first game was marketed with a tag of "psycho pop", the second game was marketed with a tag of "psycho tropical", and Danganronpa V3, the third mainline game, was given the tag of "psycho cool". I would give this game the tag of "psycho lounge", keeping in that theme. There's a fair bit of laid back themes with relatively simple tunes, some simple vocals that have no actual lyrics - just "yeah"s and "ooh"s, some minor scatting, that kind of stuff - and bits in the tracks where there's basically nothing going on - note in this track from about 35 seconds on, where there's a bit that goes for about 35 seconds with basically just percussion, bass line and some prolonged string notes, or whatever that wailing tone is supposed to be. I'm not a musical expert, and in fact am quite an idiot at musical stuff, but it really gives me a lounge feeling. There's a few tracks in particular that really nail that vibe, and I'll point them out when they come up.

We're not given a lot of options to start with. We can load, and we can start a new game. Let's start a new one, shall we?

We are next presented with the difficulty select. We get to pick between Genocide Mode ("Super Ultra Pumped Genocide Jack Mode * For those who just want to enjoy the story"), Komaru Mode ("Working Hard for a Normal Girl Mode"), or Despair Mode ("Ultra Despair Mode"). I'm not sure what the difficulty does exactly. I know it makes the game harder, obviously, but I never looked into what exactly it does.

As an aside, we get a choice in voices between English and Japanese here. I'm sticking with English for the reason of "I can understand it", because that's the kind of guy I am. Anyway, for the difficulty level...

...there only ever was one choice.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Before we get to start our game, we get some stuff to set up. Text from the system like this will be shown in italics.

With Auto Camera, you automatically follow the character you're controlling. And with Manual Camera, you can control the camera with the Mouse. This can be changed in Options later on, so choose the one you like for now.

I'll just go with Auto for now. I'll fiddle with it once proper gameplay starts. But now, we get our first cutscene!

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

A fair amount of music in this game, as has become the norm in the series, are slight remixes of music from the first game. So here we have a remix of Beautiful Dead, one of the calm, but kind of somber exploration themes of the first game. One of my favorite tracks, that is.

According to what I've heard, the world is round... but is that really true?

Oh jeez, are we going to have a flat-earther protagonist?

Earth might have the shape of...

...rock candy!

Oh, alright then.

Like that spiky lump of sugar your grandma would wrap in a tissue! ...but, I don't really know for sure.

It's not like I've actually seen the shape of the Earth. In the same way, I've never actually seen most things that are considered common knowledge. Common knowledge and what we take for granted.

We base our lives around such uncertain things. Well... not that it matters for me. I mean, my world isn't even big enough to worry about stuff like the shape of the earth or common knowledge.

In fact, it's pretty small. So small that it's actually a little funny.

This is my world. This two-bedroom apartment that I live in is my world. My life doesn't extend beyond these walls.

But it's not like I'm a shut-in or anything.

I am actually imprisoned inside this room. My name is Komaru Naegi. I'm a completely normal high school girl who lives an abnormal daily life.

And we have our title card!

All right.

She takes a running start, and...

♪ BGM: Beautiful Days

This is actually just taken from my copy of the DR1 soundtrack, because I can't find this track in my UDG soundtrack. It's very clearly Beautiful Days, the happier counterpart to Beautiful Dead, but I don't know if it was remixed in this game.

Let me out! Let me out of here! Hey! Jeez, you can hear me, right?

Ever since my imprisoned life began, this pointless defiance became my morning routine. It was only in the beginning that I was seriously crying and yelling.

And with one final kick, she stops.

It's been a year and a half since my imprisoned life began.

Can you believe it? A year and a half! So long that I've become completely used to this life. It's frightening how well humans can adapt. I've learned that first hand through this imprisonment. But it's not like I've completely given up, of course. If I had, I wouldn't do things like change my uniform every morning. I just... don't wanna get my hopes up too much. Because through this imprisonment, I've learned too much about the horrifying despair that always follows hope.

Suddenly, the door bell rings.

Jeez! It's finally breakfast? It's about time, I'm starved in here!

But anyway. About this whole imprisonment... unfortunately, even I, the victim, have no clue whatsoever.

At least it seems they treat their prisoners well, whoever these people are.

Ever since I've been taken by strange people into this strange place...

I wanted Japanese style this morning...

...receiving meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner is the only communication I have with the outside. I haven't seen the culprit's face, or even heard their voice. I still don't even know why I'm imprisoned here. But regardless of how abnormal and unfair this situation is, this is my world and my daily life now, so it can't be helped. See? Sucks, right? My story ended before it even began.

drat, looks like I'm going to be done with this really quickly then!

It's not like I still have hope that something... sudden will happen after all this ti-

We hear some rattling from the door.

Huh?

Some more rattling.

Huh? What? What happened?

More rattling.

Could it be? Did someone come to rescue me?

Please, save me! I'm trapped in here! I'm begging you! Please, save me! I don't want to live this life anymore!

PLEASE, OPEN THE DOOR!

Something tells me that it's not standard rescue team procedure to jab what looks like claws through locked doors.

Also, I don't think the equipment would look like a paw.

Also, probably not going to bring the red laser eye.

Komaru, understandably, doesn't know what the gently caress. Also, to note, "Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress" is going to become a running theme here, so keep count at home how many times I bring that up.

The door gets crumpled rather easily and tossed aside by whatever is on the other side, and that whatever is revealed to be...

...an old black-and-white friend!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

We now abruptly switch from the animated cutscene to an in-engine cutscene. The Monokuma stares menacingly as Komaru tries to crawl away.

Wait... what? What's going on?

And the Monokuma leaps into action!

Alright, we're now in control of Komaru. We've got ourselves a basic health bar with three hit points so far, and we're told that the WASD keys allow us to walk. Let's do that, then.

The Monokuma makes a run for us, so we just circle around the table and make a break for it out the now opened door.

However, when we get there, things don't look much better. There seems to be a lot of fire going on. We run down the corridor to the right...

...and the Monokuma is right on our tail.

A b-bear!? A black and white bear...?

Well, nothing much to do but keep running, so we do that for a bit.

After a short distance, the elevator comes into view. And heading towards it, we get another cutscene!

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

The Monokuma is still in hot pursuit as Komaru makes a dash for the elevator.

Sadly, jamming on the call button repeatedly does not make the elevator come faster.

Hurry... come on, hurry!

The Monokuma is closing in...

...but the elevator opens!

Huh?

And Komaru is shocked to see...

...guys in suits! One of them should look quite familiar to us!

The guy then pulls out a megaphone, which builds up some energy.

He blasts it at the Monokuma...

...and it turns out to be quite effective!

You must be Komaru Naegi.

Future Foundation, 14th division. Byakuya Togami.

Komaru, once again, doesn't know what the gently caress.

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Don't get the wrong idea and start crying. I'm not the one who imprisoned you here. Actually...I'm here to rescue you.
Huh!?
Future Foundation received intel that a Captive was imprisoned somewhere inside this building.
Future...Foundation?
It would appear that intel was correct. However...

Monokuma?
No matter how you look at it, the timing is just too perfect... Just as we show up, a riot breaks out... No, they must have known we were coming.
A riot!?
Perhaps the intel itself was a trap to lure us here...
U-Um! Wh-What do you mean, "riot"? What's qoinq on outside? And that black and white bear thing back there, what was that!? What's going on!?
So you don't even know Monokuma? That kind of ignorance must be nice. ...He was just like that the first time I met him.
Him?
You really don't know anything, do you? I guess I'll tell you...
But it will have to wait. Now's no time for talk!
Huh!?
Waaah!

Hrm, looks like these Future Foundation guys are having some trouble.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

Actually, I guess it seems like they have the situation well in hand.

More of them! What should I do?
"Should"? Do you really have an option other than "run"?

Byakuya tosses Komaru one of the megaphone things.

It's a hacking gun developed by Future Foundation.

It shoots program codes with electromagnetic waves. It appears to be effective against these Monokumas... though you should have discerned that from the test shot.

Read the operation instructions included with the gun. You're on your own from here.
What? What do you mean?
You can run, can't you? I'm busy now.

Now that I've seen these annoying bears, I can't just leave them be.
Run... but... where would I go?
A member of Future Foundation is on standby at the restaurant across the street.

Suddenly, Monokuma attack!

But it is helpless before the power of the megaphone.

Hurry up and go! You're just in the way here!

And as Komaru enters the elevator and prepares to head down, it seems like Byakuya has the situation well in hand. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Anyway, that'll be it for the first update. Next time, we step outside this building for the first time and see what awaits us there.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just picked up UDG on sale on PSN after I finally got the platinum in DR2, and I really liked the story. The game play was less stellar to me, but it was at least somewhat entertaining.

I'll stick along for the ride and inevitable discussion. As for the difficulty I read that all it does is increase the HP of enemies, lower chances of drops and increase in currency gained. It's not that much of a difficulty spike so really you should play on hardest if for no other reason than to have less grinding to get all the money you need to unlock random things.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I love all the main Danganronpa games, but I've never seen this game. This should be super interesting!

I hope the third person action gameplay doesn't control like the investigation mode from the main games, that would just fill me with despair.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
The Danganronpa games were something I never got into. Not because I didn't like them, it was because I just never ended up buying them or trying a demo. Not sure why.

I did watch someone online do this opening section before though, and it looked pretty cool. I'll be following this thread along, mostly out of morbid curiosity. I've heard a lot of things about this series since it started.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheMcD posted:

Let it never be said I don't keep my promises.
Godspeed you madman.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As I said during my DR1 and 2 LPs, I do not like this game. While the character interactions are good, I think the plot fails to do anything important in the DR universe, one scene in particular soured me on the whole thing, and the actual gameplay of it isn't that great either. But, I only played it once. I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's a little better than I remember my only playthrough three years ago being. So count me in as a viewer. I want to see why you like the game so much.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, this should be entertaining.

I will say that Komaru is cute and good, at least.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This game is certainly, something. Personally I like it and think it's worth at least discussion about what it does right and what it does wrong and how those mix, because I think it does do lots right and has an at least interesting theme and plot going on. I also think it honestly added good things to the Dangan Ronpa property as a whole, it's just got some really shockingly tone deaf moments later that make it a very hard game to convince people on.

So count me in on this ride to hope, or despair, who knows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there a summary of the previous two games that doesn't involve going through multiple ~150 part LPs? I'm interested, but I'm not that interested.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a summary of the previous two games that doesn't involve going through multiple ~150 part LPs? I'm interested, but I'm not that interested.

DR1: A high school for talented kids is made, but crazy fashionista destroys the world and subjects her classmates to a murder game. Six people survive, those being an average Joe (Komaru's brother), a kid who is basically Seto Kaiba (Byakuya), a detective who might as well be the love interest of average Joe, an authoress with a serial killer persona, a dumb swimmer, and a fortune teller who is basically a gag character. Fashionista kills herself.

DR2: Survivors of the first game try their best to reform Fashionista's henchmen in the Matrix after joining an organization trying to save the dying world. Most of them seemingly die, but are told there is a very slim possibility they might live. Five of the henchmen reform to the way they were before they met crazy fashionista.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

One of the ones who reform is also a literally crafted super genius with every talent possible made by the school performing brain surgery on an even more average joe than the first main character.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

God I love the games and their charm to bits but I hate the world building of the first two games so so so much

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blue Labrador posted:

God I love the games and their charm to bits but I hate the world building of the first two games so so so much

As much as I love the craziness, the series is definitely at its strongest when it's focusing on the events of the individual games and not the world surrounding them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Danganronpa is as subtle as a sledgehammer, which works for the crazy characters and events but makes for bad worldbuilding.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

Basically Hope's Peak Academy existed to research abnormally talented people with the ultimate goal of creating someone who was abnormally talented at everything. They succeeded... right when they admitted a batshit crazy girl and her super-soldier twin. That duo recruited a bunch of other people into Ultimate Despair and ultimately caused The Incident (full title The Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident In The History Of Mankind, which I think takes less text box space in Japanese) which basically consisted of everyone killing everyone. As part of their plan, they locked their classmates into an armored shelter, wiped their memories, and set up an elaborate battle royale style repeated murder mystery broadcast on every channel to break the spirits of everyone else, overseen by Monokuma, that white bear robot. There's six survivors of that, including our current heroine's brother and Togami.

Crazy girl committed suicide but in DR2 an AI duplicate of her hacked a VR simulation set up to try to reform her minions with the intent of wiping their minds and downloading into their bodies.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
So, the villain post-DR1 is basically Sigma?

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Oh wow, someone is actually LPing this? On SA? This should be interesting.

I'll give the game credit where credit is due: it plays and controls well enough, at least on PC. This game must've been a nightmare to play on a Vita.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Ah, yes. This game.

I really do not like this game, despite liking the mainline series, and it really has to do with one thing: This game sucks at being a third person shooter. Clunky, Messy, and not at all stylish like the mainline series.

I know DanganRonpa puts in silly, and honestly subpar, minigames in their classroom trial sections, but nobody really likes them. They are mostly tolerated for the sake of changing up the pace, albeit very poorly. Now imagine you make a game focusing on those minigames by taking out the Non-Stop Debates, and Ultra Despair Girls is what you get.

I wouldn't mind if Spike Chunsoft was half-way decent at making any sort of Action Games, but they aren't. And it really shows.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheMcD posted:

Well, I said I was going to do it. Multiple times. I warned you! Come and see the LP that has not one, but two mods so awestruck they could only reply with "oh no".

to be fair, if i had known anything about this particular game before seeing the post, I probably would have given a similar reply.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My view of this game might be influenced by the previous threads, but uh...

The literal second scene of the game features a little girl taking her shirt off.

Classy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Komaru finds herself outside of that building for the first time in ages. And what does she get to see?

A restaurant!

There it is!

But then, an explosion!

Huh?

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

Welp, looks like the outside isn't much better than the inside.

What... is going on?

Then, we hear a car crashing.

Komaru, faced with this new information, decides that the best course of action is what we in the trade call "loving legging it".

Help...

...SOMEONE HELP ME!

She makes a break for the restaurant.

She enters the restaurant, and...

...everything is fine?

Welcome!

Table for one?
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-BEAR ATTACK!
A bear?

Bears everywhere! Call the military! Paramedics! Hurry! If we don't hurry...
Miss, please keep your voice down...

...you're disturbing the other customers!
Who cares about that! Hurry!
Alright, fine. Now please, be quiet, okay? Relax, and stay calm.

Hello? Police? Some suspicious girl...

BOOM! Bear attack!

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

And within seconds, everything has gone to hell.

Komaru cowers and tries not to get noticed by the Monokumas. She succeeds, as the Monokuma goes off to murder somebody else.

Someone help me...

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

Emergency! Riots are breaking out all over Towa City! Take refuge immediately! I repeat: Citizens of Towa City take refuge!

You say that, but...

Kind of hard to take refuge with robots slaughtering everybody in sight.

Some try to fight back, but it goes about was well as expected.

Wh-what should I do? They're gonna find me...

I've gotta escape... I gotta get out of here!

Komaru knows she has only one way out.

It's time to shoot some bears.

Oh, boy!

If you press the Right mouse button, you ready the Hacking Gun. The Mouse focuses the reticle. If you press the Left mouse button with the gun out, you fire the Truth Bullet.

You can switch Truth Bullets with the 1 to 8 Key. You can also switch Truth Bullets outside the menu with the 1 to 8 Key. Try using all the multicolored Truth Bullets against the Monokumas.

Alright, we have control of Komaru once more, and now we have a megaphone to shoot bears with!

Like the tutorial said, we have to ready the megaphone before we can shoot. Now, let's do what the tutorial says and try using all the different shots. So first, we're taking Break for a spin.

Break is just a regular damage-dealing shot. This basic Monokuma gets blown up with a single shot.

This gun is amazing!

Knockback has a larger area of effect and blows Monokumas away. It doesn't deal any damage, however.

So we're left to finish it off with a Break shot. Note the "nice shot" graphic - this is something we'll be told about later. When we shoot the Monokuma near their red eye, it deals extra damage.

Dance, well, makes Monokumas dance. This incapacitates them and sets up an easy shot.

Th-They're dead... they're all dead...

Paralyze shocks in a bit of an area of effect and deals damage. Here, it's enough to kill the Monokuma.

What's with this bear?

Move does nothing to a Monokuma. We'll find out later that this is a situational shot that basically deals with different electronics - so for instance if we need to hack a switch to proceed or something like that, that's where we'd use Move.

Burn is just a straight shot. I think you can shoot it faster than Break, and it might have some situational use where you need to burn something, though I honestly don't remember. I didn't replay the game going into this LP to keep things a bit fresh for myself as well.

Detect is another situational one that will detect certain things. We'll get to this later.

Link lets us link up with a Monokuma and control it! With this one, we can just walk around and slap people with our claws. The Monokuma eye on the right is a time limit before the link breaks. Sadly, this is the last one in the room, so we don't have any enemy to attack with it.

So we just shoot it normally.

Someone... save me!

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

???: Heh...
Huh?
???: Heh... hehehe...
Wh-who's there!?

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

???: Hehehehehe...
It's the TV...

We continue to hear some giggling.

A girl walks into the studio.

Somebody lifts up the corpse of the newscaster.

Ba-ba-bam! Haha, I'm a zombie!

Raaar, raaar, raaaaar! I'm gonna eat ya!
Oh noes, please don't eat me!

Hey, Masaru, do zombies really say "raaar" like that? I'm really having trouble getting past that, you know.
Hmmmm... who cares? I told ya, style is important for this kinda thing!

Raaar, raaar, I'm hungry!
Oh nooooo~! Please don't eat me!

Please don't violate me! Please don't humiliate me!

Nuh-uh! Kiddie porn is a no-no!

Komaru, confronted with this new situation, once again doesn't know what the gently caress.

What are these kids doing with that body?

Hey, what are you doing? Be more serious! Didn't I tell you this broadcast was important? This is the Warriors of Hope's keynote address!

Jeez, what are you so mad about? Oh, wait! I bet you want to play zombie too, huh, Nagisa?

Stop that! Don't come over here!
Please, stop! Noooooooo~!

And then, a chase ensues.

The four run around the table...

...until they all fall flat on their faces, most of them still giggling madly.

Komaru's state has not changed.

Then, somebody in a wheelchair comes along.

Citizens of Towa City, nice to meet you!

We are the Warriors of Hope. We are the masters of Mister Monokuma!

This town, this dirty, lame, worthless, pathetic, good-for-nothing town that's nothing more than a penal colony for filthy criminals.
It is on this site that we've decided to build a paradise of children, for children, by children! And therefore, all of you adults... will no longer be needed!

Gooooood byeeeeee~!

Well, that was sufficiently ominous.

Alright, I think this is a decent spot to cut. This is a pretty short update, but I guess until I've got the workflow down pat, we'll have a couple shorter updates.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 3, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but there's something I find a little excessive about this introduction sequence? I mean, I know this is a different type of game from the preceding two, but in those games, people only died when it was important to the plot or at the culmination of a trial. Here, we literally have mobs of faceless people being slaughtered, and it feels a little... I dunno. Maybe I'm just being overly critical, but that kind of took me out of things immediately. I think a more personal, intimate kind of setting where maybe it's a group of 16 that have to navigate an empty, already destroyed city and survive might've been more my thing.

Also, invariably someone is going to draw attention to it, so I'll just go ahead and say

TheMcD posted:

Please don't violate me! Please don't humiliate me!

Nuh-uh! Kiddie porn is a no-no!

thanks, Japan. :japan:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe it's just me, but there's something I find a little excessive about this introduction sequence? I mean, I know this is a different type of game from the preceding two, but in those games, people only died when it was important to the plot or at the culmination of a trial. Here, we literally have mobs of faceless people being slaughtered, and it feels a little... I dunno. Maybe I'm just being overly critical, but that kind of took me out of things immediately. I think a more personal, intimate kind of setting where maybe it's a group of 16 that have to navigate an empty, already destroyed city and survive might've been more my thing.

See, to me, the fact that it's a whole bunch of faceless people getting murdered is a welcome change of pace. It gives us more of a taste of what happened in the world during The Incident (though this takes place after The Incident, obviously) - a whole bunch of people dying, widespread chaos, that kind of thing. The first two games really hammered home how hosed the world got by The Incident, but we never really got to experience it, which annoyed me. This is actually something that comes a bit closer to living through The Incident (just with killer robots), and I like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheMcD posted:

Komaru, confronted with this new situation, once again doesn't know what the gently caress.

I can relate.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Oh, this is going to be a ride.

I have mixed feelings on this game. I loved what it *tried* to do, and I do enjoy it overall, but there are parts I wish were better explained, more fleshed out, or, in one, very, very, VERY, specific case, wished was nuked from orbit.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

Table for one?
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-BEAR ATTACK!
A bear?
Bears everywhere! Call the military! Paramedics! Hurry! If we don't hurry...
Miss, please keep your voice down...
...you're disturbing the other customers!

Lady, look out the loving window!

Also, I agree with OP, the slaughter going on is sufficiently horrifying. This is the BIGGEST, MOST AWFUL, MOST TRAGIC EVENT in human history, after all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SoundwaveAU posted:

Lady, look out the loving window!

Also, I agree with OP, the slaughter going on is sufficiently horrifying. This is the BIGGEST, MOST AWFUL, MOST TRAGIC EVENT in human history, after all.

Actually, this is after that event.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Actually, this is after that event.

I guess anyone who's survived THE EVENT is 100% inured to horrible poo poo happening to other people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How would you survive the event and not be worried about someone mentioning bears, anyway?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I assume the people of Danganronpa are not sane by real world standards. Even in the mainline series, people forget the fact that Monokuma is dangerous real fast and do their own Dating Game poo poo between the murders. poo poo, murders happen during those Dating Game poo poo. You'd think people would be a bit more tense about being killed a moments notice.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
speakin of dangan rompas, if i have ignored every single thing about this game beforehand is there a good, bried summation someone can recommend so i can catch up?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ArcadePark posted:

I assume the people of Danganronpa are not sane by real world standards. Even in the mainline series, people forget the fact that Monokuma is dangerous real fast and do their own Dating Game poo poo between the murders. poo poo, murders happen during those Dating Game poo poo. You'd think people would be a bit more tense about being killed a moments notice.

This is what really makes me appreciate Komaru as a protagonist. She essentially switches between two modes: "Dumbfounded due to being overwhelmed with the situation" and "full-fledged panic". You know, like how somebody would probably act in a situation where there's an army of killer robots running amok in a city, led by a group of children who have made it their mission to murder every single adult in the city.

Blind Sally posted:

speakin of dangan rompas, if i have ignored every single thing about this game beforehand is there a good, bried summation someone can recommend so i can catch up?

If nobody else knows of something, I can try and write something up tomorrow to have people caught up.

I honestly didn't expect people that aren't familiar with the first two games to check this out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Here you go.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

DR1: A high school for talented kids is made, but crazy fashionista destroys the world and subjects her classmates to a murder game. Six people survive, those being an average Joe (Komaru's brother), a kid who is basically Seto Kaiba (Byakuya), a detective who might as well be the love interest of average Joe, an authoress with a serial killer persona, a dumb swimmer, and a fortune teller who is basically a gag character. Fashionista kills herself.

DR2: Survivors of the first game try their best to reform Fashionista's henchmen in the Matrix after joining an organization trying to save the dying world. Most of them seemingly die, but are told there is a very slim possibility they might live. Five of the henchmen reform to the way they were before they met crazy fashionista.

Lord_Magmar posted:

One of the ones who reform is also a literally crafted super genius with every talent possible made by the school performing brain surgery on an even more average joe than the first main character.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Hooray, I too am also a fan of this game, but it sure is really awkward in certain parts. The soundtrack is also pretty good, I like the song that has someone going "yeah yeah yeah" a lot.

edit: yeah, that's the one, Absolute Despair Girl.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 30, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Might as well give the shorthand of the other reformed henchmen. A pink haired shark toothed mechanic who is kind of a creep, an actual European princess said mechanic creeps on who loves old Japanese drama/media, the son of the biggest Yakuza family boss in Japan, and a naturally gifted in more ways than one female gymnast who only cares about eating and fighting.

The only other important characters from that game are the gamer girl who is actually an AI and a guy with luck so bullshit it’s literally miraculously good and bad at all times.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Don't forget to pepper 'hope' and 'despair' in so heavily that it basically becomes meaningless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, after a while, every other word out of Junko's mouth is despair/zetsubou and it just gets really :words:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

Might as well give the shorthand of the other reformed henchmen. A pink haired shark toothed mechanic who is kind of a creep, an actual European princess said mechanic creeps on who loves old Japanese drama/media, the son of the biggest Yakuza family boss in Japan, a naturally gifted in more ways than one female gymnast who only cares about eating and fighting, and some guy.

Fixed.