Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Certainly you can dig through forum posts or whatever and probably find your solution but often you have other things to do that require attention, and that time would be better spent doing those things while the support you pay for figures out what caused the weird thing you ran into. It's not a substitute for someone who knows what they're doing but it's not without value.

You could try to pull this "you don't need support!" crap with literally any vendor but sometimes it's nice to be able to just ask the people who eat, sleep, and breathe the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Considering you know redhat is the biggest vendor and open source provider in the world. Need a kernel dev? He works at redhat. Need a systemd dev? Yup redhat. Having network issues? Yup he’s at redhat too.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Today I learned none of our three Aruba controllers have paid support since Jan 2014. TAC has helped every time I called, and renewals are another person's job. I only found out when I started researching a firmware update and didn't have access to the downloads page!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

I found out none of our three Aruba controllers have paid support since Jan 2014. TAC has helped every time I called, and renewals are another person's job. I only found out when I started researching a firmware update and didn't have access to the downloads page!

Put that on your accomplishments for 2018, "leveraged existing infrastructure for additional value to the company at no additional cost" or even "cut support costs by 100% over the last four years with no impact to uptime or performance" if you're feeling cheeky. :)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of support, I have some exceptional team members who I trust can solve most problems. We still pay for vendor support on most products, because saving 30 minutes of downtime is worth a few thousand dollars per major product per year. Hundreds or thousands of impacted employees and customers from an outage adds up to a lot of lost dollars really fast, and mature organizations understand the value of MITIGATING RISK.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Vendor support for highly specific hardware/applications is a no brainer and you'd be actually insane not to pay for CISCO/Citrix support for example because that stuff is absolutely loving riddled with bugs and hardware issues.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

18 Character Limit posted:

Have you done cost analysis for just keeping prod/preprod under RHEL and moving everything below to Centos/support-vendor?

RH costs but RH support has saved our production butts with some obscure surprise bugs involving hardware vendors and their RHEL before. When that kind of thing happens to your flagship moneymaker, spinning up a new support contract right then won't be great.

Yeah, I'm with the sysadmin team on this one. The Director/VP level likely thinks one support vendor is as good as another.

We wouldn't split up prod vs non-prod - we try to keep the different stacks in near-lockstep, and that's a lot easier if everyone's pointing to the same repository on the same release cadence. We'd probably keep mission critical and business critical on RHEL and push everything not critical to CentOS, and see how it works, and maybe look at migrating BC as well in a couple years, if our comfort level was high enough.

I think everyone has pretty well hashed out the arguments for using RHEL in an enterprise setting. The only thing I'd add is that context matters. If we were building a green field, and for some reason were doing it on-prem and all, we could do a rational cost-benefit analysis about it. Now that we're heavily into RHEL, we can't change to CentOS without someone taking responsibility for the change. Nobody wants to end up on an outage bridge and explain that yes, they were the one who decided that we didn't need the support contract that might be awfully handy right now.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

So that’s settled. Where’s my Vancouver housing salary?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, if it's in production it's under support.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, if it's in production it's under support.

Well, it's under a kind of support...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My datacenter is full of off-lease 5 year old hardware we bought from (???) without remote console licenses

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

Its actually way better than Lenovo

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 26, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

So that’s settled. Where’s my Vancouver housing salary?

Get in line fucker.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get in line fucker.

Bitch you know they pay people more to move to your poo poo hole city.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Bitch you know they pay people more to move to your poo poo hole city.

I'm going to feed your dumb body to the seagulls

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm going to feed your dumb body to the seagulls

Please stay on topic. Why do we need support contracts?

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
What's everybody's experience with Microsoft 365? Specifically, the user provisioning/management through Intune?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nitsuga posted:

Also, do you all have any general advice on negotiating salary for a new job? I just got picked to go through the first round for a gig that would involve travel (20-40%, but I've heard it can definitely go over 50% for some of their employees), so I figure that alone is grounds for a decent raise over what I'm making.

Dress formally, and speak calmly and casually as you lead into "be a... shame... if your spouse were to see these pictures...".

Now, remember you only need to show ONE of the photos to get their attention, the rest are for insurance purposes in a nice cloud backup somewhere. If you have a video, just play it facing you on your phone or laptop so they can only hear the audio. Playing it just slightly too loud will help things along substantially.

Or, I GUESS, you could outline your previous role and salary to your new employer in regards to your potential new job. You want to phrase the increased salary as being part of taking on the additional requirements of needing to travel for the job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dress formally, and speak calmly and casually as you lead into "be a... shame... if your spouse were to see these pictures...".

Now, remember you only need to show ONE of the photos to get their attention, the rest are for insurance purposes in a nice cloud backup somewhere. If you have a video, just play it facing you on your phone or laptop so they can only hear the audio. Playing it just slightly too loud will help things along substantially.

Or, I GUESS, you could outline your previous role and salary to your new employer in regards to your potential new job. You want to phrase the increased salary as being part of taking on the additional requirements of needing to travel for the job.

I like you. This thread needs more of you.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

I like you. This thread needs more of you.

:yeah:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea but what's his opinion on support contracts

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sepist posted:

Yea but what's his opinion on support contracts

Either give us the support we paid for, or we give your team a lesson in the importance of proper support involving a precariously-unbalanced footstool, a sturdy ceiling beam, a short piece of rope, and a stern half-hour lecture about the importance of providing proper support they will never ever forget.

I deal with external support teams myself for work, and the talent pool is pretty atrocious. I wasn't aware you could measure optical signal strength in electrical power, but someone on a vendor support team sure thought so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dBm is just a reference to a watt of power, but just because you can use a non-standard unit doesn't mean you should.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My optics transmit at 1000 slightly used flashlight lumens

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd prefer to handle IT support internally but I'm fine with farming specialized stuff out to a consultancy. However, if you're going to farm out something like software development, you should have a staff position which is exclusively used for vendor project management.

On top of a ton of other responsibilities, I once had to work with a vendor to do a bunch of customer EDI implementations and it blew. I probably spent 20 hours a week just talking to people on the phone trying to get poo poo coordinated. Then the remainder of the time was devoted to testing and verifying the software dev's work.

Basically, gently caress automotive business practices.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Sometimes you gotta pay money for something to make management feel all warm and fuzzy. Even if you don’t use it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There is no income below seven figures that can be used to justify a full-time job that is 50% grueling travel to boring places

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vulture Culture posted:

There is no income below seven figures that can be used to justify a full-time job that is 50% grueling travel to boring places

Oh you don't want to be sent out to Rome, Georgia for a month on a 50k salary???

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I dunno about you, but I'd gladly parachute into North Dakota for half the month for $800k.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only if I can actually parachute, like I'm some sort of IT special forces.

Bonus points if we can play Red Alert's "reinforcements have arrived" sound clip in the background.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 26, 2018

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

As an introvert, by about day three of any given trip, I only want to get back to a quiet hotel room where I can read in peace. I therefore don't care that much about whether I've been sent somewhere interesting or someplace heinous. Unless we're talking an easy ten minutes from being able to see the Pacific ocean, I'm going to be unhappy there. For 50% travel, they'd have to pay be enough money that I'm going "stick this out for two years and then I'm set for life."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

What's everybody's experience with Microsoft 365? Specifically, the user provisioning/management through Intune?

Intune is really freaking cool. You give an employee their new laptop, connect to WiFi, enter their credentials and it joins their Azure AD Tenant with everything else you’ve got configured.

On the flip side, it’s still an incredibly new product and there’s a lot to learn.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

As an introvert, by about day three of any given trip, I only want to get back to a quiet hotel room where I can read in peace. I therefore don't care that much about whether I've been sent somewhere interesting or someplace heinous. Unless we're talking an easy ten minutes from being able to see the Pacific ocean, I'm going to be unhappy there. For 50% travel, they'd have to pay be enough money that I'm going "stick this out for two years and then I'm set for life."
The thing is that even if you get sent to somewhere cool, you typically don't get any time to see or do anything, so 70% of your job is standing in airport security lines or sitting in taxis stuck in traffic

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I hear y'all on the travel. I'm not sure how to feel about it myself, but I figure I'll talk to them and see where things go.

Also, I'd like to broaden my skills with Windows management. Are there any good courses or resources on running InTune and things like that? I've worked a bit with SCCM, but I am wondering if it would be easier to stand up InTune and things like that in the cloud.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Significant other is flying to Australia for a week then directly to China for another week. Flying in early to AU so she can enjoy it before having to work, but yeah travel can be exhausting.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If I was in my mid-twenties I'd totally take a 30%+ travel based job, but now? Hell no.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

nitsuga posted:

I hear y'all on the travel. I'm not sure how to feel about it myself, but I figure I'll talk to them and see where things go.

Also, I'd like to broaden my skills with Windows management. Are there any good courses or resources on running InTune and things like that? I've worked a bit with SCCM, but I am wondering if it would be easier to stand up InTune and things like that in the cloud.

Are you a Win10-only shop? If not, you'll probably need a hybrid setup. InTune natively integrates with SCCM so the latter can manage Win 7 clients while InTune can manage Windows 8.1 and up, it's not too onerous to link up.

You need Azure active directory for all of this though, so the choice of InTune/SCCM/otherMDM entirely depends on what your environment looks like and whether you have the executive support to make that change. Now, your Azure AD environment can either be principally managed in the cloud or you can use aadconnect to mirror your existing on-prem environment into Azure.

It's a broader question, essentially. Unless, are you just looking for the purposes of your own education? In that case some of the MSCE courses on udemy will probably fit the bill.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

The thing is that even if you get sent to somewhere cool, you typically don't get any time to see or do anything, so 70% of your job is standing in airport security lines or sitting in taxis stuck in traffic

I travel nearly 90% of the time and half of the battle is just knowing how to travel. Pack light and get over people being rude while you’re going places just let them pass if they get in your way.

It’d also a fantastic way to save up for a down payment. Literally everything is paid when I’m on a business trip and I keep all the travel points for free vacations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

Intune is really freaking cool. You give an employee their new laptop, connect to WiFi, enter their credentials and it joins their Azure AD Tenant with everything else you’ve got configured.

On the flip side, it’s still an incredibly new product and there’s a lot to learn.

It's good, but people who come at it from years of experience with Group Policy will be disappointed. If you just need light-touch management then it's fine, it's getting better all the time. If you need to provide computers to people who can't function unless a shortcut has been put on their desktop exactly where they're expecting it to go then it isn't that tool.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Are you a Win10-only shop? If not, you'll probably need a hybrid setup. InTune natively integrates with SCCM so the latter can manage Win 7 clients while InTune can manage Windows 8.1 and up, it's not too onerous to link up.

You need Azure active directory for all of this though, so the choice of InTune/SCCM/otherMDM entirely depends on what your environment looks like and whether you have the executive support to make that change. Now, your Azure AD environment can either be principally managed in the cloud or you can use aadconnect to mirror your existing on-prem environment into Azure.

It's a broader question, essentially. Unless, are you just looking for the purposes of your own education? In that case some of the MSCE courses on udemy will probably fit the bill.

This would be for my own learning. At work we're a hybrid of Windows 7 and Windows 10. We use SCCM primarily, but are looking at InTune so we can manage our laptops(!).

But yeah, mostly trying to better myself for job opportunities and things like that right now. Maybe I'll do some learning first, then start thinking about how I could lab with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
IT lesson for the day:

Don't forget to take everything out of the USB ports before dismantling the chasis of a desktop.