Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally got a new scale I can trust and started weighing myself in a repeatable way, so I'm at 302.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

41/60 miles for the month. Started jogging intervals instead of just walking in the morning, and my bad knee hates me so much I can feel the kneecap move if I shake it without my weight on it.

It's a good hate. :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Utterly destroyed myself on a partner 50/50 workout yesterday. Simple enough stuff:

120 pushups
120 wall balls
120 kettlebell swings

Repeat with 60 reps, then 30 reps. We came in at 28:47, and I was dead. At least it was one of those workouts where you don't grind to a halt midway.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Haha gently caress me my legs are so sore :v:

Looks like my new 1rm is getting off the toilet

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I have frequently regretted not going to the gym, and I have never regretted going.

PRECISELY! I have never regretted a workout, they've all been at the very least great from the moment I stepped into the gym.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Haha gently caress me my legs are so sore :v:

Looks like my new 1rm is getting off the toilet

DOMS is a bitch, and a great motivator to never skip leg day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yuuup...

Did my upper body stuff today. Looking forward to full body DOMS tomorrow :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Double post but it's a new day. Worked with .y trainer today with a lot of tough and fun exercises.

The gently caress are y'all doing today?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Salsa baby

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Double post but it's a new day. Worked with .y trainer today with a lot of tough and fun exercises.

The gently caress are y'all doing today?

Sleeping off horsepills worth of antibiotics because one of my coworkers decided to come in sick and give the whole office the plague.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Liquid Communism posted:

Sleeping off horsepills worth of antibiotics because one of my coworkers decided to come in sick and give the whole office the plague.

Ugh.

Adiabatic posted:

Salsa baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYRaoM5Xuc ?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Salsa baby

Salsa is delicious.

I am not a great dancer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Coached some kids on mountain bikes this afternoon then went straight to a group ride. Just got home, so that's like 6 hours on a bike today. Key thing with this whole fitness thing is to try to have fun I think. Otherwise how long are you really going to keep it up? I have been doing some actual on the bike workouts lately and did not particularly enjoy the last one, but most of my riding is still for fun and with friends.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

jamal posted:

Key thing with this whole fitness thing is to try to have fun I think. Otherwise how long are you really going to keep it up?

This can't be said enough. People get too bogged down on what the best workout is. Just be active and find something you enjoy. If it's biking, do it! If it's walking, go walk. If it's hiking, great. Working in your yard / garden? Get it! Any activity is better than the paralysis and inactivity caused by being overwhelmed with various workouts you have to do to be fit. It goes without saying, but I'll mention it before someone else does, that yes, once you find an activity you enjoy, there are probably workouts you can do to help you be better at it. Bottom line: You have to enjoy it to keep doing it.

Did more cardio today (interval training on the elliptical) with my wife - we did cardio together on the ellipticals, then I helped her do the machine workout the trainer prescribed to her. All in all a good workout. Now for a lazy afternoon of working on my dissertation...

It's Saturday duders, what are you doing?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SHOULDER DAY

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrChips posted:

My physiotherapist has cleared me to return to the gym to do stuff other than rehab exercise.

Get hyped.

Trip report - finally went and did some non-rehab poo poo at the gym; starting out easy on the machines rather than free weights for now. It went better than expected, but there is still some lingering issue through my left side, as I could literally feel the muscles tightening up hard through my upper back, shoulder and chest as I did some bench presses, as well as a couple of big ugly clicks through my T6-T8 vertebrae when I rolled out on the foam roller, but other than that, it was a pretty positive overall!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Babies are great at turning a 5 day cold into a 3 week one. I'm usually bushed by 2 or 3 in the afternoon right now.

Been walking the pups most evenings for about a mile.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

SHOULDER DAY

Throw some face pulls / rear delt flys (if you don't alread) for good shoulder health (tm)

MrChips posted:

Trip report - finally went and did some non-rehab poo poo at the gym; starting out easy on the machines rather than free weights for now. It went better than expected, but there is still some lingering issue through my left side, as I could literally feel the muscles tightening up hard through my upper back, shoulder and chest as I did some bench presses, as well as a couple of big ugly clicks through my T6-T8 vertebrae when I rolled out on the foam roller, but other than that, it was a pretty positive overall!

Nice!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Back day!

... meh. It happened. That's the best I can say for it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Spent the morning building trail, now I'm just kind of sitting around. it's pretty windy out and looks like it's going to rain and I don't feel motivated to do a bike workout. Last two days were pretty light and I should though. Have a bike race wednesday so an extra day of rest for that would be better than waiting until tomorrow. Guess I'll see what happens outside in the next hour or so.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm tryna get my squat to 300 before the baby gets here but I tweaked my lower back. I'll probably take 2 weeks off and back off to 235, after being stuck at 265. What are some good shoulder/back barbell exercises I can add in the meantime?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hiked all weekend despite the antibiotics. Feeling a bit trash today, but got my miles for the month done a few days early.

61/60

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bleh. Must have been way off on my portion sizes because I managed to gain 3 pounds :downs:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If anyone is using Renaissance Periodization's male physique templates, they have a new version coming out in early October. I've been happy with the 6 day non-specialized template so I'll probably buy the new one out of curiosity. I'm almost at 10x225 on my bench, which would mean I should get the advanced version, but I've been feeling it in my rotator cuff recently (just immediately after my sets, not for long periods of time) so I'll probably make the 10x200 -> 10x225 jump fairly slowly and just buy the regular template. Plus my other lifts suck as I'm still not flexible enough to squat or deadlift with correct form, so I've been skipping those.

I'm also thinking of cutting my workout volume to the minimum I need to maintain my current strength for the month of October, then dieting a little heavier than usual since the holidays are approaching. I feel like my joints and body would probably appreciate that anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Excellent good work dude. I have frequently regretted not going to the gym, and I have never regretted going.
That's a big thing for me. I never regret a workout but I sure as hell regret skipping one.

MomJeans420 posted:

If anyone is using Renaissance Periodization's male physique templates, they have a new version coming out in early October. ...
I'll have to look into that, I had some great results from their 5 day hypertrophy when I ran it. My shoulders suffered from the volume kind of like yours, sore/ache during and right after but no long term impact.

I've been doing a modified 5/3/1 program, ramps up weekly instead of every 3/4. Weights still going up but I know I'm going to have to drop back to a standard 5/3/1 or other progression fairly soon. New PR on bench and OHP, close on DL and almost to my low bar squat max on high bar.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Didn't ride a bike saturday but got out for some sprint intervals sunday. Going to mostly focus on the shorter, high intensity stuff for the rest of the season I think, but also still want to keep riding 12+ hours a week through the end of october.

First cyclocross race tomorrow, should be fun. Between now and november I'll probably do 7-8, then it's winter. Goals are to not crash and keep air in my tires, and hopefully be around the top 5.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

More shoulders today. MORE SHOULDERS.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Had a followup with the doc this morning.

BP issue appears to have resolved, down 7lbs officially this month. Seems to be working out well.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
DEADLIFT DAY
My favorite.

But I didn't have a lot of time today, so all I did was my deadlifts. Downside: somehow lost my barbell clamps and liquid chalk. Couldn't pull 405, which I've done before a few times; I tried five or six times today, too. On the upside: Managed to pull 3x315 and 1x355 with no straps or chalk. Did 2x3@355, so that was great. Also, the last time I did 405 that was a lot closer to bodyweight for me. Now that's about 50lbs over my bodyweight, so maybe that has something to do with it (though I should, in theory, be stronger now than before...) I'll finish this workout tomorrow, though, then go do a group workout that is supposed to be yoga.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Welp, did shoulder presses on a bench with no back, and now my upper back is super angry. Time for a massage and some WEIGHTLIFTING THERAPY.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Welp, did shoulder presses on a bench with no back, and now my upper back is super angry. Time for a massage and some WEIGHTLIFTING THERAPY.

Hope you feel better dude.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Hope you feel better dude.

Thanks bud, already feeling better than last night.

In other news: LEG DAAAAYYYY

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

gently caress leg day.

That is all.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Leg day is the best day.

I only had time for deadlifts yesterday, so today I did the rest of my workout. SSB squats, good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, bicep curls, tricep extensions, and rear delt flys. Have a group workout later that is supposed to be yoga. We'll see how that goes.

E: yoga was fun. Since it's a freebie thrown in with this other program I'm in, it was a mix of yoga, pilates, and something else that's kinda similar. I still liked it, and I'm more flexible than I realized.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Every day should be leg day. Squaaaaats.

71/60 miles for the month. Still going.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 27, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Liquid Communism posted:

Every day should be leg day. Squaaaaats.

I don't do leg day because every day is leg day motherfuckers!

(No seriously, upper body workouts are a pain in the rear end right now)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Upper body day. Lots of pressing, overhead presses, bench presses, DB chest and shoulder presses. Some good pulling too, DB rows, lat pulldowns, cable rows, some body rows on straps anchored to the wall...

Yeah. My shoulders and triceps hate me. Chest is getting there. My back doesn't give a gently caress, and I did some curls just so my biceps didn't feel left out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am sitting in my car after chest-tricep day and I am the most wonderful kind of spent right now. I didnt want to go but I chugged preworkout and gave every last bit I had and boy do I feel good about it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm just sitting here eating candy. Wed night race went kind of meh and I felt pretty bad yesterday so I'm just going to get in some rest. Probably no sprint workout tomorrow either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Top and I volunteered at a food bank and helped unload a 40' of non palletized water and then moved potatoes in boxes with pallet jacks. It was good. I wish I could stop coughing.