Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Bloody posted:

i have to interview a software engineer. i think im just gonna use that table of "tell me about a time that <blank>" scenarios to generate interview questions until im out of time

if you don't ask a software engineer candidate to write code you're wasting your loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Ask who else is interviewing the candidate and strategize who will do the technical questions and who will do the behavioral ones.

Or roll the dice, which is always an option!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Just buy startups and get their engineers, duh

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TimWinter posted:

Ask who else is interviewing the candidate and strategize who will do the technical questions and who will do the behavioral ones.

Or roll the dice, which is always an option!

then who does the physical examination? :confused:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Are JavaScript developers commonly working for next to nothing, or is there oversupply of them now? Contacted by a :yayclod: company for full stack JS (not my favorite thing), comfortably passed the interviews and they completely lowballed the offer. Like so low its not even worth negotiating about. Serves me right for even considering doing JS, I suppose.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Double Bill posted:

Are JavaScript developers commonly working for next to nothing, or is there oversupply of them now? Contacted by a :yayclod: company for full stack JS (not my favorite thing), comfortably passed the interviews and they completely lowballed the offer. Like so low its not even worth negotiating about. Serves me right for even considering doing JS, I suppose.

depends on the area, but there's a supply glut of JS devs thanks to bootcamps.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i had a serious talk about doing a sdlc properly (went well) and my salary (went not so well) today with my superiors

i am glad we are on the same page when it comes to proper planning, communication and avoiding bikeshedding, but

"we don't want people who are working only for big salaries here in this company"

"uhh stock options are difficult to set up, but it is in progress (but we need to decide how to do it)"

"how are we supposed to justify giving you a raise if you've only been here so little time"

come on guysss, it's a startup: you want people to work hard, solve difficult problems on tight deadlines so you have a product to sell - if you do not pay your people or even promise any stock or percentage of the eventual payday when the company finally makes it, they will burn out and they will leave

let's see in 2 weeks when my holiday is over if the message got through :)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Penisface posted:

"we don't want people who are working only for big salaries here in this company"

lmao exactly why do they think people have jobs?

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

what excuses have you used to take time off for in-person interviews?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
had my first phone interview in 5 years. bombed it badly. probably should have expected that.

oh well, on with the next.

Family Photo posted:

do you have to give a reason for PTO? my current job doesn't require a reason. in past jobs I just said "personal" or "getting stuff done around the house" something similar.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
scheduled maintenance on the car is a good one. also puking baby

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Penisface posted:

"uhh stock options are difficult to set up, but it is in progress (but we need to decide how to do it)"

come on guysss, it's a startup

These three statements don't add up... The only reason to work at a startup for less than market rate is giving a poo poo about what they do and hoping the stock pays off (and I think most people here would agree that the stock thing is a bad idea... but thats why people do it)

A startup without stock options... a shameful startup

Family Photo posted:

I try and schedule them on Mondays or Fridays and say I just wanna take a long weekend... the middle of the week is tough, just say errands I guess (but they'll probably know what you're really doing)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Family Photo posted:

always blame a pediatrician appointment if you can.

i ran into a situation where company wanted me to do a video webex with an interviewer in munich later that day. i had already took pto the day before so taking another was off the table.

found out about breather.com and rented office space in New York for an hour for about $60. took a late lunch. got job. anyways I recommend breather if you’re in a bind for work day video interviews.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pendragon posted:

do you have to give a reason for PTO? my current job doesn't require a reason. in past jobs I just said "personal" or "getting stuff done around the house" something similar.

buddy of mine just used "dermatologist appointment".

yes, i have a dermatologist appointment for the third week in a row, you wanna see? no? ok cool

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

for in-person interviews I like to say I'm going to the dentist so it's not weird that I'm brushing my teeth before I leave

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:shuckyes:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/city-storage-systems

fuuuuck that company

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
seems boring and probably bad for cities but i bet they're going to make a lot of money parasitizing the latest wave of "Amazon Now for food/clothes/pets/wet meat/whatever" startups

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:wtc:

quote:

City Storage Systems
City Storage Systems focuses on re-purposing distressed real estate assets and turning them into spaces suited for new industries.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Categories
Commercial Real Estate, Industrial, Real Estate
Headquarters Regions
Greater Los Angeles Area, West Coast, Western US
Founded Date
Operating Status
Active
Last Funding Type
Secondary Market
Number of Employees
11-50
Also Known As
CloudKitchens

https://www.cloudkitchens.com

quote:

We provide infrastructure and software that enables food operators to open delivery-only locations with minimal capital expenditure and time.

KITCHENS

We provide private kitchens & equipment, you build the business.

DELIVERY

A robust logistics layer to make sure food gets to your customer cheaply and quickly.

MARKETING+

You cook. We will help with the rest. From Demand Gen to Cleaning your kitchen we provide a full stack solution

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol forget I said to talk about caring for the customer. Asking around, the thing that the people I interviewed with liked the most was that I know about the struggles of working with hardware and the priorities of engineers working on it. Customer Focus is not really what people care about with inter-team collaboration.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

food delivery businesses are ubereats' "complement"

"commoditize your complement" (by getting people to start sharecropper businesses?)

Like the uber lease program, but restaurateurs instead of taxi drivers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah it almost seems genius in a diabolical way

Also reminds me of this https://ny.eater.com/2014/2/24/6274495/network-of-fake-restaurants-uncovered-on-seamless

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 26, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"feedback came in, the interviewer thought you just didn't know as much about the company as he, who works there, did. gliyjs"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d give a less than 50% shot at that being correct

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Gazpacho posted:

"feedback came in, the interviewer thought you just didn't know as much about the company as he, who works there, did. gliyjs"

"you seemed unwilling to live harmoniously in the people's village, we were especially concerned about your willingness to drink the kool-aid"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
and it wasn't even a startup or a well-publicized "hip" company...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
"you ranked highly in technical foundation, subject matter expertise, communication, and affect, but i see here you went to a state school..."

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
why are y'all asking for feedback

what's the best case result from that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You get to laugh at the dumb reasons they give?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
any qs you should be asking to interviewers that are specific to consultancies?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CPColin posted:

You get to laugh at the dumb reasons they give?
seems a lot more bitter than that

Ploft-shell crab posted:

is there a necessity to stay above a certain amount of billable hours, can you bring clients in or work with them on the side separate from the consultancy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

JawnV6 posted:

why are y'all asking for feedback

what's the best case result from that

i was gonna answer "to have a better idea what to improve/focus on for the next interview" but then i thought about that answer for a bit

there is no point, huh. jeez. :smith:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Ploft-shell crab posted:

do your customer contracts give consultants a certain percentage of time offsite? or do clients expect every billable hour will be delivered on premise?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ploft-shell crab posted:

• similar to the question in the op regarding pto- hammer this question home. a good consulting shop should have a very generous pto policy- moreso than even normal tech companies due to how stressful the work is. DO NOT be satisfied with any answer unless they tell you exactly how much pto they've taken and what they did. absolutely make it clear that any attempt at dancing around your question is completely unacceptable
  • again just like pto- do not accept them just saying 'don't worry it's fine' in regards to their bonus structure. they should show you what the metrics are upfront. a good consulting shop should be rewarding you for very realistic billing metrics WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that you'll sometimes have bench time. my last shop which was a nightmare to work for didn't give you poo poo unless you hit over 90% FOR THE YEAR- and you didn't get any meaningful amount unless you hit 120% again- FOR THE YEAR. a single bad month and your whole bonus was hosed. my current gig pays out quarterly and starts at 50% then linearly ramps to 133%. here's the key: they deliberately stop paying more bonus after that because gently caress you you shouldn't be working that much. take a break, rear end in a top hat
  • how closely will you be working with sales? my last don't-do-what-donald-don't-does job sales would promise the moon and i'd maybe speak to them once every six months. current gig consulting is involved when they're writing the contract, during kickoff, weekly meetings to see how things are going, etc. directly ask them how often sales joins any of their regular status calls. anything less than 'frequently' is a red flag
  • basically ask all the questions in the OP but turn the heat up 150% when judging their answers. due to the nature of the job it's much more easy to fall into a memory hole and be forgotten by the company so things like career development, guided performance metrics, anything, needs to be much more deliberately laid out.

a good shop will have no problem selling you on most of this without you even having to ask. bad shops will use slights of hand or prey on the desperate to warm their benches. do not be a sucker. the upside can be very lucrative if you find a good shop but the downsides of landing with a bad one can literally ruin your life. be careful and don't let anyone pressure you into making a quick decision

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 27, 2018

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Have you ever had to fire a client?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

"you ranked highly in technical foundation, subject matter expertise, communication, and affect, but i see here you went to a state school..."

My CEO legit asked to see my decade old transcripts when I got offered a job here, and then tried to use my 60-70% grades (in the UK this is what grades are bell curved around) to lowball me lol.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

thank you for these!! the people I’m interviewing with seem solid technically, the only thing I’m slightly concerned with is the nature of consulting so these will help

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

postin' here since i'm startin' to throw resumes out there

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

meatpotato posted:

:eyepop: jeeeeezus the no-whiteboard-coding place gave me an unofficial salary offer about 35% more than I made at my last job

also i would be called señor software engineer

this poo poo rules, it's my first job offer in five years and i still have about five more companies im in the process of interviewing at and will hopefully have the dilemma of choosing an offer from

ahh, to feel wanted

lol they came back today and said "actually, we can only do <way less than before>", which is about 10% more than my last job but the additional commute or moving expenses would completely negate and likely exceed the increase in salary :/

i think i flunked a phone interview today too, god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

similar to the question in the op regarding pto- hammer this question home. a good consulting shop should have a very generous pto policy- moreso than even normal tech companies due to how stressful the work is. DO NOT be satisfied with any answer unless they tell you exactly how much pto they've taken and what they did. absolutely make it clear that any attempt at dancing around your question is completely unacceptable

I get the idea but I keep picturing “I DEMAND TO KNOW WHETHER YOU HAD FUN IN LONDON”