Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So I forget, are mods easy to install and make in this or do you have to make a whole new exe for them or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Telsa Cola posted:

So I forget, are mods easy to install and make in this or do you have to make a whole new exe for them or whatever.

Most mods are super easy to make and install. You can do a lot just with json files. All you need to make them is a text editor and all you need to do to install them is drop a new subfolder for your mod in the mods folder. There's some notation to learn, and rules about object inheritance and stuff, but take a look at the doc folder in your installation for some documentation (ignore anything about c++ if you're just making json mods, tampering with the source code is a bit trickier) and some sample mods as examples or tempates.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So how easy would the bird thing be to make as a mod?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

DayGloOreo posted:

Kevin is continuing to do everything he can to turn this game into an unfun mess.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/25582
A contributor creates a pull request to add short lived flight for bird mutants to give players a reason to play them.
Kevin responds:

"If you really want a bird mutant to fly, it needs to go full bird. That means ditching the arms, so no crafting or most tool use, ditching the heavily muscled legs, so no running or long distance walking, along with the other things I outlined.
At that point, yes, real flight would be feasible, at the cost of pretty much every other player ability."

"I'm not haggling, what I outlined is the most I'll accept.
To recap:
If the player keeps human-typical abilities like wearing clothes, crafting, running, then flight requires:
the full spectrum of weight and size reducing mutations
Flight is an extreme hit on stamina, at least 4x the rate of running
Load on hunger and thirst is extreme as well
Flight is limited to an extended jump type action
If the player additionally sacrifices:
Ability to wear most clothes (the only exception I can think off hand is something like a harness, but there are probably a few others)
Ability to craft.
Then that might justify continuous flight."

I think this is probably the best example of how little Kevin understands about making games. Note that he could have just said "no bird mutants can't fly" but instead he gave a list of sacrifices needed to be able to fly without any consideration as to the advantages of actually being able to fly or how the game would be played by a player who couldn't interact with some major features of the game. He never thinks about whether something is necessary to add or enjoyable to interact with, the only important thing to him is whether it fits with his incredibly flawed view of the world.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And to top it all, keep in mind that become a fully transformed bird, you have to jump through many hoops. It's something you have to fight for, scavenge for, survive and earn. The idea of arguing that it needs to have as many negatives as positives (and as you said, that balance is incredibly off anyway) is broken from the get-go because this isn't a drat checkbox on character creation "do you want to be a bird".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Meanwhile, the balancing downsides of the Alpha serum are *fart noise, exaggerated shrug*

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

because this isn't a drat checkbox on character creation "do you want to be a bird".

It should be though. In any game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It should be though. In any game.
Really changed my playthrough of Red Dead Redemption tbh.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hes no ornithologist, that's for sure

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess he'll never be the bird of a large corporation

wait

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They’re really working to make this game unplayable.
Jumped in to give it another go. Usual start in spring but I see they now have a freezing mechanic. Started in the evac shelter with a bottle of water which froze. Butchered some rats which gave me frozen meat. Raided nearby grocery and found frozen crisps and frozen everything.
So I guess summer is the new easy start unless you have equipment for defrosting stuff.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You just need a match or lighter and a pan but yes its super tedious until you get a vehicle with solar panels and a hotplate.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How do you freeze a potato chip?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Xand_Man posted:

How do you freeze a potato chip?
A lot of food is still edible when "frozen", including potato chips, pork sticks, most snack foods, etc.
Heating them up isn't really a problem since even not starting with a lighter they're everywhere and making a fire drill isn't terribly hard either.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

A lot of food is still edible when "frozen", including potato chips, pork sticks, most snack foods, etc.
Heating them up isn't really a problem since even not starting with a lighter they're everywhere and making a fire drill isn't terribly hard either.

I always start Nearsighted + Farsighted since
(a) They self-negate (you always start with glasses) so that's free points
(b) Glasses are durable as heck (you have to be hit in the eyes, virtually all enemies aim for the torso and only *might* hit the head, let alone the eyes)
(b).1 Also bifocals are common enough even if you manage to lose them
(c) Glasses start fires instantly during sunny weather so it's handy to have a pair, and it's cool as heck to LASER EYES zombie corpses as you go rather than butchering/pulping them

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That seems like another one of those "the devs don't actually care about realism, just arbitrary bullshit" things. Starting a fire with glasses by focusing sunlight like that is actually pretty hard to do.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sure but please don't bring it up because the last thing we need is even more clever utility pulled out for the sake of "realism".

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm guessing it's more along the lines of "it's a mechanic that has been there forever, since before actions could take variable amounts of time, and nobody has noticed yet to update it"

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just make it take a good amount of time in game, but keep it basically instant out of the game. So you're not setting a corpse on fire in one turn while surrounded by zombies. They won't do that, of course, given the last melt down about not being able to use real life time investment as a balancing mechanic to make npc's more useful and have people turn them back on.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That seems like another one of those "the devs don't actually care about realism, just arbitrary bullshit" things. Starting a fire with glasses by focusing sunlight like that is actually pretty hard to do.

I’ve seen someone start a fire with a condom full or water and sunlight, similar to a magnifying glass. Standard glasses probably don’t have the focus to start a fire.

But yeah the devs seem to pick and choose what is realism as they like. Which is bit ironic in a game featuring zombies, monster, mutations and bionics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

I’ve seen someone start a fire with a condom full or water and sunlight, similar to a magnifying glass. Standard glasses probably don’t have the focus to start a fire.

But yeah the devs seem to pick and choose what is realism as they like. Which is bit ironic in a game featuring zombies, monster, mutations and bionics.

This is fundamentally the problem with "realism" as a defense of bad game mechanics. Unless you're going to go all in, it's just bullshit to obfuscate the real reason you're making the change (which is probably something along the lines of "this doesn't conform to the playstyle that I deem to be correct and thus should be punished, but not removed, because I am a bad game designer").

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
On a lab start, how do you deal with having only one set of stairs leading up right next to a turret? I got the emp grenades, but by the time I armed and threw I was dead. Do you wield and arm before going up stairs then toss immediately?

Also is there any way to cancel picking up something heavy because I burnt to death in a house trying to grab a zombie (it was a scientist and I wanted it to disect)?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 14, 2018

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Marenghi posted:

Isn't it that nearsighted glasses can't start a fire, but farsighted glasses can?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

Isn't it that nearsighted glasses can't start a fire, but farsighted glasses can?

Just hold them upside down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

World Famous W posted:

On a lab start, how do you deal with having only one set of stairs leading up right next to a turret? I got the emp grenades, but by the time I armed and threw I was dead. Do you wield and arm before going up stairs then toss immediately?

Also is there any way to cancel picking up something heavy because I burnt to death in a house trying to grab a zombie (it was a scientist and I wanted it to disect)?

The last two times I have encountered the entrance turrent I have had 3-4 squares of darkness that the turrent did not see. So maybe luck of the draw? I ended up making a crossbow, and plinking at it till it died.

Also maybe hit "." That ends stuff sometimes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wasn't the entrance door turret. Was in one of them map cells that are the nine rooms in a 3X3 pattern. Probably two or three levels underground. Came up stairs and the downstairs they were connected to was like 5 spaces from it.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

Nearsighted glasses could start a virtual fire

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Wasn't the entrance door turret. Was in one of them map cells that are the nine rooms in a 3X3 pattern. Probably two or three levels underground. Came up stairs and the downstairs they were connected to was like 5 spaces from it.

Oh yikes, super lovely situation then. I would maybe try arming before you go up but I am uncertain how long stairs take to traverse.

If possible I would try to armor up so you can deflect some of the shots so you dont get gibbed immediately.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't figure a way to deal with turrets in general if you can't attack them from out of their sight. Hipfiring a rifle with zero aiming is a coinflip at best, otherwise it will stunlock you (at best) as you try to aim a shot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm quite a few versions out of date, but do you have any explosives you can huck? Dynamite used to be quite easy to make.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It used to be that with the very heaviest armor you could make, you could straight-up stroll up to a turret and melee it to death (though that would be inadvisable due to its tendency to explode). Don't know if that still holds true in the later versions.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Push a book case or a fridge infront of you until you're past the turret.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Usually I want to kill the turret but that's a good idea to keep in mind

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I tried that before but was still shot. Might not have been right furniture though and had just been a table/desk. Will try again.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

World Famous W posted:

I tried that before but was still shot. Might not have been right furniture though and had just been a table/desk. Will try again.

You want anything that blocks line of sight from the turret. So a book case, fridge, those things. If you can't see through it, the turret can't see you. Turrets don't fire blind.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Just reinstalled after a few years. The frozen mechanic is fairly annoying, but I drove a bus through a bunch of hostile creatures, wrecked into a tree and somehow died in a pool of acid after I left the wreckage. Still owns!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
acid got loving nasty in the last few years

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you guys got any recommended world gen settings?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stairmaster posted:

you guys got any recommended world gen settings?

World End Handling: Reset is a must unless you're a loser butt nerd

And I like to turn on NPCs (static and random) so that I can recruit a horde and forcefeed them mutagen

Don't turn city spacing down (much), they'll very quickly spawn within each other and spam your map with city names, the rest is gravy and/or pick to taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

World End Handling: Reset is a must unless you're a loser butt nerd

And I like to turn on NPCs (static and random) so that I can recruit a horde and forcefeed them mutagen

Don't turn city spacing down (much), they'll very quickly spawn within each other and spam your map with city names, the rest is gravy and/or pick to taste

Is there a way to get the map to generate as one giant megacity without the city name spam?

I have no idea how playable this would actually be, I'm just curious if it's possible.