Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Seasonal Thread Posted posted:

Naples, 2001. Giorno Giovanna is a small-time crook with one big dream—to become a "Gang-Star." No ordinary thief, Giorno has a connection to the remarkable Joestar bloodline, and possesses a Stand named Gold Experience. His dream starts to become reality when he meets Bruno Buccellati, a mobster from the gang Passione and a fellow Stand user himself. Realizing that they share similar ideals, and both disagree with the gang's harmful affairs, Giorno reveals his goal to Bruno: with Bruno's help, he will reform Passione by overthrowing the boss. As Giorno becomes a member of Passione, and is inducted into Bruno's squad, he discovers that it is no simple gang; its numbers are teeming with Stand users. Now confronted by other squads of differing loyalties and unpredictable caliber, their goal to change the gang from the inside out will be a tough one. Taking on these adversaries, Giorno attempts to rise through the ranks and inch closer to the boss, a man who is shrouded in mystery.

The boys are here, they're prettier than ever and their Stands are even more ludicrous. That's right, JoJo's back, baby! This time, we'll be following Giorno Giovanna and his merry band of criminals as they run up against the Neapolitan mafia, Passione, in their attempt to cleanse the organization of corruption.. No longer are we in a sleepy Japanese town, but instead taking a sightseeing tour around Italy in between bizarre encounters that must surely be the work of an enemy Stand. Part 5 is very standalone, even more so than Part 4, so previous JoJo knowledge isn't really required for this part other than knowing a couple names like "Dio Brando" or "Jotaro Kujo" so if you fell off the wagon or just joining the adventure, Part 5's a perfectly fine place to start (still, go back and catch up, also read the manga JoJo is good)

While an extremely popular arc in Japan, Part 5 is notorious for having an extremely poor English translation that made absolutely no sense and frequently got most things wrong. It only recently got a great translation thanks to Something Awful poster, Daxing Dan and the JoJo's Colored Adventure Group, so in the end, Part 5 kind of stands out as something a lot of English fans don't really remember well or have a low opinion of so the excitement for this to get animated is real. In general, this season will be a bit similar to Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, in that our cast will be travelling around with a mission in mind, and battling wildly dressed dudes with even wilder powers, but now, Araki has fully got his Stand Writing muscles warmed up so things get pretty bonkers, pretty fast

Part 5 will be start airing on October 5th on Crunchyroll and be going up weekly on Friday at around 1:00 - 1:30 PM EST and so far seems like it will run for thirty-nine episodes. A good bit of the staff has changed since Part 4, but so far the trailers have looked really promising and I'm really excited for this.

Just a general spoiler rule: This is the anime thread, so presumably, a good amount of the folks here haven't read this arc, so please don't post manga spoilers or allude to things coming up, and try to keep things either in the manga thread or behind spoiler tags. But before you post that spoiler behind a tag, do give a second thought if it's really necessary. We all know very well when new episodes of JoJo come out, so after that go hog wild with spoilers.

sirtommygunn posted:

Also put "6-hour probation" on the fork. e: here's the low effort content that everyone a couple people asked for:

DONT POST SPOILERS HERE, GOOD LORD
PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2u21n2V0do (def watch this, while some staff did change, the composer for Part 4 is still the same and hell yeah dude)

Character Trailers
Giorno Giovanna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw2gV-oa1pQ
Leone Abbacchio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-gyWfhMlcg
Pannacotta Fugo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQATAWAL_Is
Guido Mista: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4n08b4P3U
Narancia Ghirga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh6mD1Ir8U
Bruno Bucciarati: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UNXnAsGew

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Finally Part 5. I know absolutely nothing about this part. So i'm really looking forward to watching it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I loving can't wait for this

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i honestly didn't think it was going to happen

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Finally..... a reason to post friday memes again

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

kinda petered out on part 4, hoping this part can rekindle some of the magic of this series

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hope crunchyroll translates the italian character names literally

AnacondaHL posted:

kinda petered out on part 4, hoping this part can rekindle some of the magic of this series
it's on the weaker end of the parts so dont force yourself to like this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
part 5 is excellente, dont listen to the haters

it's tighter than part 4 if you prefer the faster paced stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Part 5 will be start airing on October 5th on Crunchyroll

「Wake Me Up When September Ends」

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shame i already saw the first episode live :smug:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Part 5 gets a bad rap it doesn’t deserve (at least not of its own accord, for the most part), I’m excited to see it animated finally!

But most of all, I really just want to see the new OP...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Part 5 is absolutely the most underrated part, and I'm excited for it to finally get the respect it deserves.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Premise sounds 'meh' but I'll watch it anyways for punch wizards

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
my favourite part is finally getting animated

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And now that the ambulance has backed up over the previous thread, it's time to start looking forward to Friday again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I can't believe it's only a week and a half until Friday

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jojo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops, I almost forgot!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Finally..... a reason to post friday memes again
This is a thread rule: For every Friday with JoJo...

... we need one of these babies. Preferably including Part 5 characters. I'm just using the Duwang Gang for illustrative purposes. :engleft:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Has it been mentioned anywhere that it'll be 39 episodes or is it speculation based on how long part 5 is compared to part 4?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's unconfirmed, but it's coming from sources people say have been reliable about these things.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh boy, that New Thread Smell. It's been a long time since I watched a series while it was coming out instead of waiting for the whole thing. I think the last time was... Haruhi S2. Well, I just remembered why I quit anime for a while. 0

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't see how they could really do any less or more than 39 episodes. with a minor bit of pacing optimized part 4 was able to comfortably fit that length and it's longer than part 5, and i sincerely doubt they've gotten a giant influx of cash to somehow stretch it out to 48 episodes

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I’m ready for a new Friday. I did watch the first episode already, and it looks good. I’m ready for our trip to grand Vienna.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Part 5 has the best fights in the series, along with part 7, and seeing them animated should be fantastic - especially since that should clear up some of the confusion with the wackier ones. I could see this as being the best *animated* version just because of that (and judging by the quality of the first episode).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy gently caress it's next Friday? :aaaaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Finally, next Friday...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ChaosArgate posted:

Holy gently caress it's next Friday? :aaaaa:

I dont think so

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kurtofan posted:

I dont think so

it's on october 5th which is in fact next friday

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s so close I can almost taste it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This taste is the taste of a Friday.

Darko posted:

Part 5 has the best fights in the series

This is absolutely true, yeah. Even with the old, garbage translation, it was just a fantastic marathon of Best Fights so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of 'em animated.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah at first I wasn't out of my mind for this season like I was with Part 4, but looking over the chapter list, pretty much every week is going to have something I'm excited to see animated

AnacondaHL posted:

I've been seeing this sentiment a lot, and now I'm wondering if the slice of life pace of Part 4 along with a weekly drip feed is what caused this. So maybe going back and watching it all at once will help? Part 4 is laid back for sure, but it's got some of the best fights and characters for my money.

Part 5 is a bit more of a return to "form" as much as JoJo can have one, in that our characters are actively trying to do something other than "live a quiet life" and get impeded at every turn, but also carries a lot of the goofy bits of Part 4 and a bit in Part 3 where we get to see what absolute weirdos are main characters are.

Relin posted:

i hope crunchyroll translates the italian character names literally
it's on the weaker end of the parts so dont force yourself to like this
I read this as "Part 4 is on the weaker end of parts" and it was like you insulted my hair

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 26, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

insulting part 4 is a probatable offense in my heart

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Johnny Joestar posted:

insulting part 4 is a probatable offense in my heart

As if anybody would actually have the stones to probate Rohan Kishibe.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I think characters/writing wise 4 was one of the best parts and 5 was a step down but it still delivers very well on having cool fights between dudes with weird powers.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Ground floor, can't wait to see the exploits of my favorite italian boy band and a certain infamous 7 page sequence get animated!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jackard posted:

Premise sounds 'meh' but I'll watch it anyways for punch wizards

There are a number of things about Part V I'd say are 'meh', but the premise of "It's like Goodfellas, but with Stands" owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What happened to "I'm going to make you an offer you won't understand"???????????

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The only part in part 4 that I wasn't too hot on was when Kira's dad started randomly making new stand users. That really felt like it was filler.

Granted there was some awesome poo poo like cheap trick and Enigma, but then we had the tower fight.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 26, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The anime cut "We doing it Okuyasu?" "Only if you ain't chicken' out of Superfly so that's the best bit gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Monaghan posted:

The only part in part 4 that I wasn't too hot on was when Kira's dad started randomly making new stand users. That really felt like it was filler.

Granted there was some awesome poo poo like cheap trick and Enigma, but then we had the tower fight.
Even this owned cause Kira got to fight a cat that turned into a plant and almost die of an embolism

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What happened to "I'm going to make you an offer you won't understand"???????????
lol I forgot about that. I feel it's too much of a manga reader joke and that's not fun