Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Captain Baal posted:

The movie was better than any story mode that has been done for a fighter in the last 10 years

I wish psychotic clown pope lady was playable, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Captain Baal posted:

The movie was better than any story mode that has been done for a fighter in the last 10 years
thats pretty sad... the only entertaining part was the last half hour or so.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have never played a FG story mode

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

XX's was really fun, someone cared an awful lot. Well ok it was fun if you don't know how to play the game.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The GG leak mentions a higher budget due to sales of DBZF and Cross Tag Battle, but didn’t BBCTB sell really poorly? I know it did in Japan (the first week at least). Did it pick up in sales later (somehow) or sell better in the US (...somehow) or something?

The real answer is probably “the leak is not real” but it’s not the first time I’ve heard BBCTB referred to as a success for Arc System Works so... yeah.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

DBFZ's was fun just to watch Cell and Frieza clown on yamcha and for Tien to tell Goku to stop admitting that Piccolo is a better dad for Gohan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zinkraptor posted:

The GG leak mentions a higher budget due to sales of DBZF and Cross Tag Battle, but didn’t BBCTB sell really poorly? I know it did in Japan (the first week at least). Did it pick up in sales later (somehow) or sell better in the US (...somehow) or something?

The real answer is probably “the leak is not real” but it’s not the first time I’ve heard BBCTB referred to as a success for Arc System Works so... yeah.

I think it did better in the US bc it didn't have an arcade release in JP. It was always pitched as a Western-first project, what with the RWBY chars and announcing dubs for a lot of characters that haven't been dubbed in a long time or ever before.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zinkraptor posted:

The only numbers were really have are from Steam, where BBCTB has sold about 90% less copies than DBFZ. We can probably assume that ratio applies elsewhere too.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

It probably turned a profit by virtue of them having to make a total of 4 sprites for the game

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Double Bill posted:

The only numbers were really have are from Steam, where BBCTB has sold about 90% less copies than DBFZ. We can probably assume that ratio applies elsewhere too.

This would actual mean the game performed above expectations since DBFZ is such a megahit.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Double Bill posted:

i wonder if it did well on Switch where it was the first anime fighter on the platform and didn't have to compete with DBFZ

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

Fighting lovely CPUs is bad and the stories are almost always mundane generic bullshit

In the Xrd story mode a character sees the world for the first time through eating a burger, Elphelt goes off on even more absurd tangents than she already does, and Sol does Sol things, it's great.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The revelator story gets good as soon as the pope woman shows her real personality.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What I love about the GG Xrd story mode movie thing is how SIGN was the first half of a story and Revelator was the second half, but Rev 2 was a few episodes of epilogue, released over time.

Epilogue 1: That Man and Raven end their alliance and go their separate ways as friends. Meanwhile, Sol goes to Ky for help in preparing for his epic battle against That Man that's been building up since the first game.

Epilogue 2: Venom is written out of the series in an episode that's tense, badass and touching, giving closure to his relationship with Zato and Zato's redemption arc.

These are both treated as pretty important developments to the series' lore. And then...

Epilogue 3: Zappa and some background characters spend 45 minutes solving a dinner mystery that ends with everyone flying off into the sky with rocket farts.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gavok posted:

What I love about the GG Xrd story mode movie thing is how SIGN was the first half of a story and Revelator was the second half, but Rev 2 was a few episodes of epilogue, released over time.

Epilogue 1: That Man and Raven end their alliance and go their separate ways as friends. Meanwhile, Sol goes to Ky for help in preparing for his epic battle against That Man that's been building up since the first game.

Epilogue 2: Venom is written out of the series in an episode that's tense, badass and touching, giving closure to his relationship with Zato and Zato's redemption arc.

These are both treated as pretty important developments to the series' lore. And then...

Epilogue 3: Zappa and some background characters spend 45 minutes solving a dinner mystery that ends with everyone flying off into the sky with rocket farts.
Sounds Extremely Guilty Gear

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The MK9 story mode is really good and the only time I'd say a cinematic story mode in that fashion was good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Injustass story modes are pretty fun. The Superman path in IJ2 is sick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's all so convoluted and boring... the action looks nice but the decades have made the story way too big.

Here are some of the XX storylines:

Ky: There's an impostor who looks just like Ky and he has to figure out what's going on to clear himself

Eddie: Zato-1 is dead and his parasite has to find a new body

Jam: Jam's restaurant was burned down and she wants to find the culprit

Way simpler, less melodramatic, way more compelling. Imo. The plots fit the format about as well as non-tournament plots ever could. But this format is more or less dead these days anyways, there has to be a better way to do SP content that people find engaging but imo it hasnt been totally solved yet.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
put robo ky in tekken ocho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yeah, I agree when fighting game stories were more simple and less about being MK9 or Injustice, they were better or at least more fun to follow. That's not how things are now though because every FG feels it needs to be that though excepting ArcSys games which do their own thing for the most part (Though they are still highly convoluted). Like I think it's a shame that Tekken 7 seems to have sacrificed its wacky rear end character endings for the story mode in that game, because the character endings in it are very short and generic for the most part and while the story mode is stupid and incredibly out there, it's also not really a solid replacement for it. I think I enjoyed it the most out of last year's stuff though as the end of it was really good and even when it was bad it was at least short and had good moments in it between everything, which is more than I can say for like Injustice 2 which I nearly fell asleep during. MVCI was also a surprisingly decent story mode, but its problems ended up being more how fast everything was and how the game was awful to look at during those cutscenes (I mean it still was outside of them, but moreso here).

A lot of why I like the Xrd story mode is even during really small scenes characters are incredibly expressive so stuff like the May and Chipp talk in the forest is very memorable to me because of Chipp's reactions to everything, or the awkward plane ride between Sol and Ky in Revelator, or literally anything involving Robo Ky. The action scenes are also spectacularly dynamic for what few there are.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

robo ky pwns. he needs to be in every game immediately.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Baal posted:

Fighting lovely CPUs is bad and the stories are almost always mundane generic bullshit
Could have been convincing, but

Captain Baal posted:

In the Xrd story mode a character sees the world for the first time through eating a burger, Elphelt goes off on even more absurd tangents than she already does, and Sol does Sol things, it's great.
That sounds non-generic and awesome.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Xrd VN format is the best way to do a fighting game story mode because it lets characters express themselves in ways other than fighting.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I wish it had fights anyway. I get antsy with an arcade stick in my lap and want to hit some buttons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I left my stick on turbo while making dinner so I could unlock raven or w/e

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I liked X2 story mode back in the day but I also didn't know how to play Guilty Gear. The branching paths that you activated by winning fights in certain ways was cool even though you needed a guide to figure them out because there's no indication anywhere that you need Sol ending 3 to get Dizzy ending 3 or whatever. But having to win fights by time out or instant kill in order to branch was a neat idea. I probably wouldn't like it if I played it today, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NRS story modes fukken own and a bunch of singleplayer content for people who really just want to mess around is very good.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
as far as single player content, people really seemed to like the injustice 2 auto battling thing also, which basically seemed like a mobile game to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zand posted:

as far as single player content, people really seemed to like the injustice 2 auto battling thing also, which basically seemed like a mobile game to me

There was one mode where you could build a deck of fighters and sic them on another dude’s team and one where you could just gear up your AI fighter to do towers or the survival ladder. It was pretty fun as a change of pace.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yardbomb posted:

NRS story modes fukken own and a bunch of singleplayer content for people who really just want to mess around is very good.

I really wish every fighting game would just straight up steal that.

I’m hoping SCVI single player will be fun. Isn’t the network test of that starting soon?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

new coin jam on android 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpmnqcLqbLo

gently caress they do a great job

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

The MK9 story mode is really good and the only time I'd say a cinematic story mode in that fashion was good

I'm watching Super Couch Fighters do a playthrough of this currently and you're so, so very wrong. It's very bad, the voice acting is okay, but the voice direction and the lines themselves are abysmal and while the transitions from fights to story is actually well done, the animations otherwise are pretty terrible. And the story itself is-- pretty much standard Mortal Kombat fare, which is to say it's bad, but not necessarily that much worse than nearly any other fighting game story.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can't call the animations bad that's called "style"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Mortal Kombat story is in fact Good poo poo.

It's also why the MK movie is probably still the only good example of a vidya game turned into a movie.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arrest me. :colbert:

Also I think that the models look really bad, but that's not really an issue with the story mode and I'll cop to that being a stylistic choice that I just don't care for.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It's also why the MK movie is probably still the only good example of a vidya game turned into a movie.

The MK movie was good because they didn't try and change anything except Scorpion's spear and pretty much played everything straight and serious unlike pretty much every other video game movie adaptation at that point.

Street Fighter was a legit good comedy though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

MKX has legit good female fighting game char designs, many of them actually wear pants.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tune into your favorite fighting game and ask yourself, how many women in this game actually wear real pairs of pants with good, practical footwear? If you're not a KOF player, the answer may surprise you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everybody in UNIST and melty blood are just wearing hoodie + jeans or are dressed for school which may be a skirt which seems fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reiley posted:

MKX has legit good female fighting game char designs, many of them actually wear pants.

"Many" being-- Just Sonya Blade? And she does so while not wearing a shirt. All the others are Sindel, Jade/Kitara/Mileena and Sheeva who all have never even lived in the same dimension as pants.

EDIT: MKX, not 9. My apologies. The conversation was about 9 so I was still thinking about that.