Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

anthonypants posted:

Sounds like Office 365 is a little out of your price range, then.

We're a non-profit so MS gives us O365 licenses for next to nothing. In fact, we've been using O365 for a few years now. Like I said in a previous post, " Both olddomain.com and new domain.com are using using ADsync to both sync to the same O365 tenant, absolutely no on-premise Exchange servers are involved."
Unfortunately, Skyclick/CodeTwo are not as generous with their licensing costs ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

"Currently the only way that this will work without outside resources to assist migrating is we can only migrate emails less than a year old" Don't break your back on a herculean task if they're giving you a wash mop. It's computers, who is going to doubt you? Especially in a non-profit.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 21, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nonprofit, 100 users? You should be able to get migrationwiz for three figures.

Not the best but it's better than nothing. If your management purports to have a business need to retain mail longer than a year, they need to be able to back that claim up with <= $1k in migration fees. It's a merger, these cost money.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 21, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Middle of road: for most users, manually move only recent mail. Management instructs them to mail over any particularly important older poo poo by hand.

Management can identify the few people who actually need all historical mail moved, saving you licensing for ButtKick/MigrationWont

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Potato Salad posted:

Nonprofit, 100 users? You should be able to get migrationwiz for three figures.

Not the best but it's better than nothing. If your management purports to have a business need to retain mail longer than a year, they need to be able to back that claim up with <= $1k in migration fees. It's a merger, these cost money.

This is really the only answer I can think of that will prevent you from having a mental breakdown.

One thing I should mention is that for those few people who have personal distros/contact groups in their accounts, MigrationWiz cannot migrate these. Everything else will move over. This has caused problems for me in the past

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Those users can spend a few minutes to hours moving 'em over by hand.

"It's a merger; get over it people."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think we have an Ignite thread so I'll put this here.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-365-adds-modern-desktop-on-azure/

I've never been bothered enough to look at Citrix cloud, hopefully this is good. Have signed up for more information.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Think I got about 6 new tshirts today thanks to the Ignite expo hall. And a bunch of socks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I grabbed 5 or 6 as well. No socks. I only got 2 in my size, I get the rest in small and my kid uses them to sleep in. One of her favorite sleep shirts is the last years Cisco/Azure shirt

Ignite seems different this year. Smaller, fewer sessions. One thing is constant though, lunch is loving terrible. The bag is nice but I still prefer last years

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I like the smaller sessions!

Azure AD will absolutely, positively not be doing client certs for more than a year. Two guys kept the party "it's just not on the roadmap", one hinted very strongly after a long talk "most if not all use cases I've seen are addressed with adfs and intune," so there's no clear driver putting it on the roadmap any time soon.

To be fair, when you can drop cmsetup and client certs onto an endpoint over autopilot, yeah fine it'll work for most users, but goddamn I really could use a way for azure ad to see those certs.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 25, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unrelated to Ignite but I am happy that Azure AD DS is planned to go multi-vnet rather than having to be peered (and hence fail when a region shits itself). One little step before rolling it out to more regions.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Think I got about 6 new tshirts today thanks to the Ignite expo hall. And a bunch of socks.

Socks seem to be all the rage as swag now. I was at AWS re:Invent last year and it seemed like drat near every booth was hawking socks. This crazy bastard got 35 different pairs.

I think I'm OK with this. Most vendor t-shirts are so horrible I wouldn't wear them to the gym, let alone general day-to-day wear.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sirotan posted:

Who is giving out socks? I need to go hit up some sock vendors!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Sooo... I stroll in to work to find out my underling tried to set a policy to expire spam more than 30 days old, except he accidentally applied it to everyone's inboxes, so all emails over 30 days old are now gone from 600+ users.

We use Office 365 Exchange Online exclusively, no on-prem server, and we can see the deleted emails in the Second Stage Recycle Bin... anyone have an idea how to do a Powershell that can just recover everything in every second-stage bin for every user? Because O365 support ain't cutting it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your underling is going to be doing PST exports and merges for 600 users

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Your underling is going to be doing PST exports and merges for 600 users

Ha, I wish, but his lucky rear end got a Powershell script working with a CSV, it is recovering emails back to the proper folders. Only problem now is that it takes ~20 minutes per user, and Microsoft allegedly limits an organization to 3 simultaneous sessions, to protect against DDOS (according to them, though I'm sure it's more about saving costs on CPU burst). So now we're splitting the CSV into 3 and running it in 3 different sessions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Potato Salad posted:

I like the smaller sessions!

Azure AD will absolutely, positively not be doing client certs for more than a year. Two guys kept the party "it's just not on the roadmap", one hinted very strongly after a long talk "most if not all use cases I've seen are addressed with adfs and intune," so there's no clear driver putting it on the roadmap any time soon.

To be fair, when you can drop cmsetup and client certs onto an endpoint over autopilot, yeah fine it'll work for most users, but goddamn I really could use a way for azure ad to see those certs.

What exactly do you mean by client certificates?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Zero VGS posted:

Ha, I wish, but his lucky rear end got a Powershell script working with a CSV, it is recovering emails back to the proper folders. Only problem now is that it takes ~20 minutes per user, and Microsoft allegedly limits an organization to 3 simultaneous sessions, to protect against DDOS (according to them, though I'm sure it's more about saving costs on CPU burst). So now we're splitting the CSV into 3 and running it in 3 different sessions.

I would love to see this script, if you wouldn't mind. It could come in handy one day

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

It's like a password, but different.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

snackcakes posted:

I would love to see this script, if you wouldn't mind. It could come in handy one day

Sure, here ya go

code:
$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri [url]https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/[/url] -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session -DisableNameChecking

$mailboxes = Import-CSV "C:\temp\Book.csv"; $mailboxes | foreach {Restore-RecoverableItems -Identity $_.PrimarySMTPAddress -FilterItemType IPM.Note -ResultSize Unlimited}
The CSV should look like

code:
Name,PrimarySmtpAddress
example.dude,example.dude@contoso.com
and so on

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 27, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tab8715 posted:

A verification stamp for your laptop. It's a common way to do multifactor authentication without bugging the user over and over for their Google Authenticator / Microsoft Authenticator / DUO / Centrify / Yubikey token

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

anthonypants posted:

It's like a password, but different.

So...

It's a local certificate on the computer account that lets login into said domain but you still need to hit this with ADFS or a Domain Controller. Azure AD doesn't replace either.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Sure, here ya go

code:
$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri [url]https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/[/url] -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session -DisableNameChecking

$mailboxes = Import-CSV "C:\temp\Book.csv"; $mailboxes | foreach {Restore-RecoverableItems -Identity $_.PrimarySMTPAddress -FilterItemType IPM.Note -ResultSize Unlimited}
The CSV should look like

code:
Name,PrimarySmtpAddress
example.dude,example.dude@contoso.com
and so on

That is much easier than I reckoned it would be thank you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

So...

It's a local certificate on the computer account that lets login into said domain but you still need to hit this with ADFS or a Domain Controller. Azure AD doesn't replace either.
Client certificates can also be used for authenticating to things that are not AD DS servers, such as wireless access points or websites or VPN endpoints.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

snackcakes posted:

That is much easier than I reckoned it would be thank you

Yeah same, had no idea about Restore-RecoverableItems

This covers it more: https://www.undocumented-features.com/2018/04/23/using-restore-recoverableitems-or-how-i-saved-my-own-bacon/

Your guy is incredibly lucky that this feature seems to have been added in the past six months.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

This covers it more: https://www.undocumented-features.com/2018/04/23/using-restore-recoverableitems-or-how-i-saved-my-own-bacon/

Your guy is incredibly lucky that this feature seems to have been added in the past six months.

Yeah, even Office 365 support was telling him to download several terabytes of PSTs and put emails back in by hand until I explained to them that's loving ridiculous, and pressed them to ask people who knew Powershell.

He's also lucky because I'm a nice boss, I told everyone that I did it (I've never hosed up that bad in my career) and of course Joe User is replying to my email saying "Wow, you're such a moron, don't use our email as a science experiment next time!" while I'm biting my tongue. Like, the only lasting effect is that things they have deleted in the past 30 days are now undeleted. Bitch, you have no idea how much worse that could have been, my guy was one click away from hitting "Permanently delete with no recovery" on the retention policy he was testing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That story is why I double and triple checked everything when setting up a testing policy for purging anything older than 13 months for legal, I was terrified of accidentally applying it to all users.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I kept getting Rick Scott ads on virtually every website I was visiting when off VPN (the MSFTWIFI is rear end even without a vpn). Untill today. Curiously, I rageposted in cleartext several somethings about GOP ghouls deserving their God's own damnation last night :thunk:

Thanks Ants posted:

That's going into my DR book

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Potato Salad posted:

Who is giving out socks? I need to go hit up some sock vendors!

Rubrik had the best ones.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am watching the GPM for Windows Servicing spin the Windows Insiders program -- the "Test this for us or we kill your business productivity next week" gun pointed at my head -- as a positive change compared to their past larger beta program. The same GPM is spinning "we helped solve half a million bugs since 2016" as a positive

Maybe your dev quality control is hosed, idk

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"QA just isn't modern"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

I am watching the GPM for Windows Servicing spin the Windows Insiders program -- the "Test this for us or we kill your business productivity next week" gun pointed at my head -- as a positive change compared to their past larger beta program. The same GPM is spinning "we helped solve half a million bugs since 2016" as a positive

Maybe your dev quality control is hosed, idk
Everyone doing QA at Microsoft got laid off a few years back, and now everyone who participates in Windows Insiders is their QA.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anthonypants posted:

Everyone doing QA at Microsoft got laid off a few years back, and now everyone who participates in Windows Insiders is their QA.

Yeah I'm aware of the layoffs. What's clear is that the servicing team is operating on edict from higher up, because they absolutely will not budge on conceptual criticism of their model right now, to a man and woman.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah I'm aware of the layoffs. What's clear is that the servicing team is operating on edict from higher up, because they absolutely will not budge on conceptual criticism of their model right now, to a man and woman.

If you have enough money that you are about to withhold from them they suddenly become very willing to compromise their master vision of the future.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

If you have enough money that you are about to withhold from them they suddenly become very willing to compromise their master vision of the future.

If this was Azure they'd never ever be able to pull this off. Problem is it's Windows, the federal government can't go "oh you want to patch it like this? gently caress you we're a Linux shop now"

Or else they'd be absolutely hosed right now with this model. It's poo poo and it hasn't started working properly yet. It's a disaster in the Enterprise. 4 year cycles with security updates were fine. Why gently caress it all up, you assholes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LTSC avoids many of these problems!

Except it doesn't, security patches are the culprit just as often as feature updates/fixes.

As a matter of fact, 2018's major business-closing patches were all security patches

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm trying to come up with a plan of action here, and wracking my brain trying to figure out the best way. Hopefully someone here has some pointers.
Setup:
Active Directory (domain1.com) with Sync to Office 365. All user creds are synced to Office 365 here.

We have a team that has their domain1.com email addresses, as well as domain2.com addresses. Right now domain1 accounts are Ent E3 licenses. Domain2 addresses are actually just shared mailboxes that the domain1.com account has send as/full permissions to.

Now, I need to migrate these people so that their primary email address/account is domain2.com. The domain1.com address can go away (though I need to still be able to have them receive email to that address)

I could simply change the email address in Active Directory, and let that sync to O365, but I'd first have to change the smtp address on their secondary accounts, and that would leave them with the domain1.com mailbox as primary, which wouldn't be correct.

I can talk this issues in circles for hours. Nothing I come up with seems to actually be the right answer.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? What method did you land on?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are both domains in the same o365 tenant, separate tenants, or is only one domain in o365?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

The Fool posted:

Are both domains in the same o365 tenant, separate tenants, or is only one domain in o365?

Domain1 is on prem sync to O365
Domain2 is only in O365
Both are in a single Tenant together.

I would not mind creating a second Tenant for the second company/domain either, I just don't want to deal with PST migrations for a bunch of people located all over the continent.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is there any way to script the creation of GPO's? I'm not immediately seeing a simple way to do this in PowerShell...

I'm trying to create a bunch of GPO's that have the same function, but for differing OUs; namely to configure the Restricted Groups option

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 1, 2018