Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Since it's a Summit and not Pinnacle it lacks the microcode which makes the IMC less finicky so you're going to need to aim for higher quality RAM overall, I don't think you can just grab any 2933/3200 kit. Is it using the stock cooler? You'll need a decent cooler for OCing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stock cooling

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I’m in a jam now. In preparation to upgrade ram and potentially my CPU, and just to see if things were magically fixed by it, I decided to update my bios.

I went to the latest version on the Asrock site. All went well, I am now at the latest version. Except it can’t see my nvme drive to set it to the boot disk. It lists other stuff but not that.

I disconnected the 500gb platter drove, no luck.

I reinstalled windows, the bizarre thing is windows can see the drive and installs on it but then after a reboot I’m back at the bios or booted off the usb to the windows installer screen

It will not list my nvme as bootable anymore. What the hell happened after that bios update??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, a downgrade of the bios did it, it boots now :wtc: :iiam:

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I just bought a ryzen CPU. I ended up getting a ryzen 1700. It was on sale for 210$ and I'm on a budget. I hope I made a good call.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

celewign posted:

I just bought a ryzen CPU. I ended up getting a ryzen 1700. It was on sale for 210$ and I'm on a budget. I hope I made a good call.

I love mine and I've had it for over a year! Stock cooler and everything. Depending on your motherboard, definitely check for a BIOS update before running any installations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

celewign posted:

For 210$ you honestly made a fantastic choice.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The 1700 is really good for it's cost, they can hit 3.8 all core easy with not much voltage but past 3.9 you need to pump the volts.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

EmpyreanFlux posted:

For 210$ you honestly made a fantastic choice.

That's encouraging, thank you! I'm curious though, for 10$ more I could have bought a 2600. Are the two extra zen cores worth losing the zen+ architecture? I'm not going to have buyers remorse anyways, I'm just curious.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure in practice between improved turbo and IPC the 2000-series chips are around 110-115% of the per core performance of 1000-series, so it's just a question of whether you're using the extra 2 cores vs. how much difference that 10-15% would make.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would certainly spend the extra 10 bucks to go to zen+. You get a more reliable memory controller and a few hundred more megahertz without manual overclocking. Unless you really need the core count for a specific application. 2600X will be better for games and any sub 8 core optimized applications.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I cant remember if it was this thread or the Intel thread that was talking about VIA's x86 license a while back, but the 2nd gen product from the Chinese govt company using the license just came out. Claims to have 8 cores at 3ghz, using the 16nm TSMC process.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13388/zhaoxin-shows-x86-compatible-kaixian-kx6000

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Is any manufacturer offering a non-budget tier AMD laptop? Cursory check indicates no :(

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Is any manufacturer offering a non-budget tier AMD laptop? Cursory check indicates no :(

Lenovo Japan just announced A280 and A285 ThinkPads

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Envy x360 13t looks like it shouldn't be budget-tier, but is priced like it is. My brother has one coming once Asia shipping routes finish unfucking themselves after Mangkhut, if it sucks, he'll let me know.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is freesync a thing on AMD laptops? Seems like a no-brainer to pair a decent iGPU with freesync and make a decent little gaming laptop. A couple of Google searches aren't coming back with anything though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cygni posted:

I cant remember if it was this thread or the Intel thread that was talking about VIA's x86 license a while back, but the 2nd gen product from the Chinese govt company using the license just came out. Claims to have 8 cores at 3ghz, using the 16nm TSMC process.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13388/zhaoxin-shows-x86-compatible-kaixian-kx6000

I'm kind of interested in what GPU IP it's using. I mean, I'd love for VIA/Cyrix to come back but eeeehhh, it's not really competitive for the consumer market (it sounds like it's between Excavator and Nehalem IPC) but I don't see VIA managing a respin of this for global markets ever, so the whole design will be lost to Chinese government orders.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT posted an analysis of the Apple A12 die shot. Their conclusion on the density capabilities of the TSMC N7 process:

quote:

In terms of determining the actual process node shrink, the closest valid apples-to-apples comparison we can make are in the small cores and an individual GPU core. Here we see a shrink from 0.53mm² to 0.43mm² in the small CPU cores – representing a 23% reduction. On the GPU core side we see a more significant 37% reduction down from 4.43mm² to 3.23mm².

If you assume yields will lead to reasonable pricing, and that AMD will have Zen 2 ready to go sometime in the next 6ish months, things may get real interesting. Those numbers are better than I expected, and 82.9 million transistors/mm is mighty impressive considering Intel was targeting 100 million on 10nm which is delayed until the end of time.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13393/techinsights-publishes-apple-a12-die-shot-our-take

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 25, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Will AMD be able to target AVX workloads or if that an Intel specific thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AVX is a joint-AMD-Intel thing, but only Intel is forging on to AVX-512. Epyc supports AVX-256, but not AVX-512.

quote:

Intel talks up its use of 256-bit and 512-bit FMACs compared with AMD’s 128-bit implementation of AVX. But AMD may have taken the wiser route here (it wins all the FPU benchmarks AT ran). Intel takes a 20 percent clock penalty compared with 256-bit AVX when running AVX-512. While higher efficiency should theoretically be able to still show significant AVX-512 performance improvements, they’re only going to happen with substantial performance tuning. Not all software vendors or buyers can afford that kind of work, but it’ll be critical for AVX-512 to be a success.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/252262-amd-epyc-faces-off-intel-skylake-sp-xeon-massive-server-battle

In this regard, it seems a case of optimizing for "what does the industry use now" vs. "what will the industry use later" gives the lead to AMD.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 26, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Envy x360 13t looks like it shouldn't be budget-tier, but is priced like it is. My brother has one coming once Asia shipping routes finish unfucking themselves after Mangkhut, if it sucks, he'll let me know.

I just eventually gave up waiting for "official drivers" (:laffo:) and force installed the 18.8.2 drivers onto my Inspiron 7375. Save for the fact that I also had to manually install every subcomponent including Vulkan, it works really well. :thunk:

Unlike its iteration on the desktop, Radeon Chill for the heavily throttled version of Raven Ridge is actually functional.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 26, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I just eventually gave up waiting for "official drivers" (:laffo:) and force installed the 18.8.2 drivers onto my Inspiron 7375. Save for the fact that I also had to manually install every subcomponent including Vulkan, it works really well. :thunk:

Unlike its iteration on the desktop, Radeon Chill for the heavily throttled version of Raven Ridge is actually functional.

Eek. It sounds like I may have to do the same thing. Are we talking "unpack the .cab, and then individually install each .inf manually"?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Eek. It sounds like I may have to do the same thing. Are we talking "unpack the .cab, and then individually install each .inf manually"?
just the "have disk" thing works well enough long as you select one of the raven ridge parts there

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD is supposed to be releasing a proper unified driver for all GPUs but lmao at OEMs making it easy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a problem isolated to AMD either, i've had tons of lovely problems with nvidia gpus too, because they report device IDs modified by OEMs. And then you have to disable driver signing or run ancient drivers that don't support poo poo, yay.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

AMD is supposed to be releasing a proper unified driver for all GPUs but lmao at OEMs making it easy.

Ugh, that reminds me of all my OTHER problems I've ever had with HP.

I think you're in the GPU thread, you may have remembered that I picked up a Quadro M2000M MXM board with the intent of giving my old Precision M6800 an upgrade. Except it didn't work. Hacked the .inf files to death adding device IDs, install drivers fine, but it kept spitting back the same error after reboot.

Eventually, I handed the card off to Wendell, over at Level 1 Techs, to see if it would work in one of those Mini-STX boxes. It did, but it took a long-rear end time for us putting out heads together to figure out why.

Turns out, for some GODDAMN REASON, HP does not store the VBIOS for their GPUs on the GPU, they store it on the motherboard. So any time that I tried plugging it into these various non-HP systems, where I would expect it to work properly, because, you know, INDUSTRY loving STANDARDS, it would just sit there and do nothing, because there was no VBIOS.

Once he flashed the drat thing with a stock VBIOS I found on TechPowerUP, that got it working, but goddamnit, I sat on that goddamn M2000M for TWO YEARS, before someone smarter than me noticed what I should have seen from minute one.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 26, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
HP must have borrowed that trick from Compaq after the acquisition - really old Compaq desktops used to store their BIOS info on a hidden partition on the hard drive rather than in ROM, so if you repartitioned or replaced the hard drive, you lost all ability to change any settings from the default.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A lot of old IBM PC models required a special floppy disk to touch the bios settings at all too.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ugh, that reminds me of all my OTHER problems I've ever had with HP.

I think you're in the GPU thread, you may have remembered that I picked up a Quadro M2000M MXM board with the intent of giving my old Precision M6800 an upgrade. Except it didn't work. Hacked the .inf files to death adding device IDs, install drivers fine, but it kept spitting back the same error after reboot.

Eventually, I handed the card off to Wendell, over at Level 1 Techs, to see if it would work in one of those Mini-STX boxes. It did, but it took a long-rear end time for us putting out heads together to figure out why.

Turns out, for some GODDAMN REASON, HP does not store the VBIOS for their GPUs on the GPU, they store it on the motherboard. So any time that I tried plugging it into these various non-HP systems, where I would expect it to work properly, because, you know, INDUSTRY loving STANDARDS, it would just sit there and do nothing, because there was no VBIOS.

Once he flashed the drat thing with a stock VBIOS I found on TechPowerUP, that got it working, but goddamnit, I sat on that goddamn M2000M for TWO YEARS, before someone smarter than me noticed what I should have seen from minute one.

computerstyool2018.txt feels bad tho, that's not something you would expect at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am just incredibly glad that the 1060 in my 7577 accepts any and all up-to-date drivers from Nvidia's website.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Friend of mine worked at CERN back in the day, hooking up 10GB fiber connections in the late 90s, before there was even a standard for it. What with all the custom hardware, it took quite a lot of work to get things talking. Of course, the only hardware that straight up refused to work was HP, turns out they were pulling similarly wacky, non-standard poo poo on their server boards involving interrupts and lane splitting, the details are hazy. They basically refused to admit there was a problem with their hardware until they sent a team out to discover that the provided documentation was not only wrong in english, it had been translated into German by someone who clearly spoke absolutely no German whatsoever. They shipped back a low seven figures worth of hardware, never came up with another revision and basically blew off the contract.

Point is, HP is poo poo, always has been poo poo, and always will be poo poo. Some of the stories I've got rival those from DEC, but at least Digital had the decency to collapse under the weight of its own hubris.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which is a shame, because, and bringing this back around to the original point: The x360 looks *great*.

Like, up until about 24 hours ago, if I didn't already have a laptop as my main machine, I would have gotten one for on-the-go.

(24 hours ago, though, I got to try a Surface Go, which is a surprisingly better device than I thought it could be. Which fills in the same niche + tablet. Still can't justify owning one when the main machine is a laptop already.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The x360 is overpriced fight me

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I dunno man, I think that's reasonably good. Could be better, could wait for a sale, but it ain't bad. Like, I'm still paying $550 for a Surface Go.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Good price for a decent laptop.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm not sure what that HP laptop would be like to use, it doesn't seem like a great platform for a Ryzen. Those convertibles are much more designed for lower-TDP intel processors.

Ryzen is an interesting option for a laptop but it's still a 15-25w CPU.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I dunno man, I think that's reasonably good. Could be better, could wait for a sale, but it ain't bad. Like, I'm still paying $550 for a Surface Go.

I was completely wrong! I had no idea that there were non-elitebook 360s. Those start $1300+, if you have a good VAR.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Newegg has a Lenovo R5 2500U refurb laptop going for a mere $425 and never before have I been motivated to spend money I don't have on poo poo I'll be using only on rare trips and holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Friend of mine worked at CERN back in the day, hooking up 10GB fiber connections in the late 90s, before there was even a standard for it. What with all the custom hardware, it took quite a lot of work to get things talking. Of course, the only hardware that straight up refused to work was HP, turns out they were pulling similarly wacky, non-standard poo poo on their server boards involving interrupts and lane splitting, the details are hazy. They basically refused to admit there was a problem with their hardware until they sent a team out to discover that the provided documentation was not only wrong in english, it had been translated into German by someone who clearly spoke absolutely no German whatsoever. They shipped back a low seven figures worth of hardware, never came up with another revision and basically blew off the contract.

Point is, HP is poo poo, always has been poo poo, and always will be poo poo. Some of the stories I've got rival those from DEC, but at least Digital had the decency to collapse under the weight of its own hubris.

Counterpoint, we mostly always use HP hardware and it has mostly worked fine. Even under really harsh conditions a Proliant will just keep on trucking.
The included torx tool in a DL380 will always get bonus points, I heard they stopped doing that though. :(