Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

105GB install size, PS4 gets content 30 days early.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/26/red-dead-redemption-ii-has-105-gb-install-ps4-gets-extra-content-30-days-early

Good thing I got some more bandwith the other day, but now I'm thinking of getting an external SSD :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Does an external SSD actually speed anything up? I remember that an internal SSD would only marginally speed up loading times.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
one of the biggest problems with GTA5 was the loadtimes so cutting them down at all is a probably not a bad thing to prep for

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Media Bloodbath posted:

Does an external SSD actually speed anything up? I remember that an internal SSD would only marginally speed up loading times.

It sure seems to, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwAb-yjObTE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's causing the bottleneck inside the PS4 hardware that an external drive going through USB is faster than internet going through SATA? I also thought you couldn't play games through external drives. I'll have to see if my game loads up that slow, I don't remember it being that slow at all.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I put a 2tb SSD in my PSPoor, and holy poo poo the change in load times was distinctly noticeable. I might need to go buy another for my Pro and do the same. That, and even 1tb is getting to be not enough storage space nowadays.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I bought a 2tb hdd and when I check the actual storage it's more like 1.6tb which is apparently within acceptable tolerance levels :colbert:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I bought a 2tb hdd and when I check the actual storage it's more like 1.6tb which is apparently within acceptable tolerance levels :colbert:

Same. Or 1.7tb. Whatever. Apparently the PS4 reserves space on the drive for... reasons? :shrug:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jimbot posted:

What's causing the bottleneck inside the PS4 hardware that an external drive going through USB is faster than internet going through SATA? I also thought you couldn't play games through external drives. I'll have to see if my game loads up that slow, I don't remember it being that slow at all.

I honestly wish I knew cause it doesn't make any drat sense. Searching around youtube and various subreddits for PS4 games suggests it's at least partially worth it in that some games benefit more than others, but this:

Thief posted:

one of the biggest problems with GTA5 was the loadtimes so cutting them down at all is a probably not a bad thing to prep for

Is a big selling point to me. I played GTA5 on a regular platter drive for a while and going to an SSD was a massive improvement.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 27, 2018

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Jimbot posted:

I guess the internal SSD is bandwidth limited but the USB drive has its own chipset :pseudo:

Time to order an external SSD! :homebrew:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Good thing my roommate already ordered one.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

What're the odds this game will be able to maintain a steady 30 FPS on a regular PS4? I'm not crazy, I don't expect 60, I just hope it doesn't spike all over the place.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zipperelli. posted:

I put a 2tb SSD in my PSPoor, and holy poo poo the change in load times was distinctly noticeable. I might need to go buy another for my Pro and do the same. That, and even 1tb is getting to be not enough storage space nowadays.

Is the cloning part hard?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Walrus Pete posted:

What're the odds this game will be able to maintain a steady 30 FPS on a regular PS4? I'm not crazy, I don't expect 60, I just hope it doesn't spike all over the place.

I'd be very surprised if it isn't a nice, steady 30 FPS on a regular PS4.

It won't perform badly, you'll just have reduced definition textures, effects and draw distance.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Is the cloning part hard?

What do you mean by 'cloning'?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/rockstargames/status/1046535175407112192?s=21

:q:

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Gameplay Video 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-tlY6ytk8

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Looks real loving good tbh

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Makes me want a PS4 Pro but I know it'd be the only thing I play on it as 95% of my PS4 use is just Netflix. I'm counting on Rockstar again letting me transfer my PS4 character to PC once the port comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beyond loving amazing. October 26th can't come soon enough.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I know it won’t happen but I really wanna see normal vs pro/x footage prior to launch, I don’t wanna upgrade just for one game but if it runs like trash and takes a year to load I may need to bite the bullet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I know it won’t happen but I really wanna see normal vs pro/x footage prior to launch, I don’t wanna upgrade just for one game but if it runs like trash and takes a year to load I may need to bite the bullet.

DigitalFoundry will actually likely do this.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've been thinking about buying a SSHD. I still have the stock 500GB HD and it just isn't enough. This game might be the reason I finally buy one. It'll be the only thing I play for a while and I imagine the load times will be pretty high.

Also I want to drive around with a turkey strapped to my saddle 24/7.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Yeah I am in the same boat. I know in my heart I should get the Pro but I really do like the X.

Really want to see some side by side already!

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I said come in! posted:

DigitalFoundry will actually likely do this.

Not prior to launch though right? Like I’m a moron and will buy day 1 regardless, I just wanna set up expectations before I play.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I'm also worried about this. I don't have a pro AND my ps4 has the "doesn't want to leave disk inside so it shoots them out" problem. So this is gonna be a digital buy for me...I mean, I'm sure the game will look amazing no matter what ps4 I have, but I don't wanna get jipped out of the full(real)experience .

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Looks like some of the folks over on reddit seem to think Armadillo is back in the game. Is it crazy to think 1/2 the map would be a remastered version of the old one?

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9kgel0/its_armadillo_i_swear_im_not_crazy
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9kgn82/999_certain_this_shot_from_the_new_trailer_is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would be awesome if you had the same land from RDR1, and then a new land right next to it that is even bigger and you could travel back and forth between them.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the way they updated San Andreas was pretty good so it wouldn't even surprise me even though GTA5 was missing SF/LV

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh my god guys I am so hyped for this game. I loved RDR1 a ton, it was such a beautiful and fun game to play. So excited for RDR2.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i expect there to be a lot more quaint encounters and heartfelt moments between man and horse which will only make picking a fight as the train rolls into the station like a drunken psychopath that much funnier

also i won't even be mad if i'm walking into my house to sleep and save or whatever and a random npcs ambush me to death or arrest me for cyber crimes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Still haven't seen Liar's Dice in a trailer. RIP

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Haven't seen any poker either, I live in hope.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Haven't seen any poker either, I live in hope.

Wasn't that Poker in the 2nd trailer? Or was it Blackjack?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

RatHat posted:

Still haven't seen Liar's Dice in a trailer. RIP
That makes a pretty good drinking game, actually. You need a fuckload of dice, though.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

Wasn't that Poker in the 2nd trailer? Or was it Blackjack?

blackjack, a much easier game

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Anyone got a quick rundown of the different price points for the game?

I see standard at 60, 80 for a heist mission, hideout, horse and guns, and 100 for all the extras from 80 in multiplayer.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if you can play texas hold em online this will be goty. especially in the far cry 3 fps style

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It would be awesome if you had the same land from RDR1, and then a new land right next to it that is even bigger and you could travel back and forth between them.
I mean this is basically confirmed. We've known for awhile that West Elizabeth is back, but New Austin has been mentioned in promotional materials.

It seems like Mexico is the only thing missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I will be legitimately upset if poker is cut. I spent far more time than I care to fully admit playing pretend virtual cowboy poker in RDR1. And ooooo online poker would reeeeally own!!