Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I was thinking as a basic mechanic, with living standards being basically how redistributative your society is.

Possibly also related to how authoritarian your government is.

So heavily stratified societies lean towards being more productive but more unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Isn't that already modeled by stratified societies having lower consumer goods requirements and lower happiness?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

looking forward to the Mole People special district, tia

If I was a cool tweeting person this would be the ideal time to show off the Subterranean empire event I updated recently. But sadly I am not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sindai posted:

Isn't that already modeled by stratified societies having lower consumer goods requirements and lower happiness?

Kinda but I wish it was a thing you could more easily run to the line, stratified societies don't really seem to run into stability problems they're just... unhappily stable I guess.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Kinda but I wish it was a thing you could more easily run to the line, stratified societies don't really seem to run into stability problems they're just... unhappily stable I guess.

Yeah unhappiness isn't really a thing in base game. Rebellions are pretty toothless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

If I was a cool tweeting person this would be the ideal time to show off the Subterranean empire event I updated recently. But sadly I am not.

You're a cool something awful forums posting person though!
:justpost:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darkrenown posted:

Do you want us to beg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah unhappiness isn't really a thing in base game. Rebellions are pretty toothless.

Yeah, so I think having something that isn't entirely under the player's control, or which you want to increase for other reasons, which also increases your unrest, would be a nice mechanic.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Splicer posted:

I hope it's going to be both. Passive ongoing penalties which occasional turn into actual targets.

Agreed. Basically I want two things which at first glance appear contradictory: for pirates to be a constant and elusive drain on your economy (i.e. fighting them is harder than "find base, blow up base"), but also to manifest as cool space battles. Because space battles are otherwise hard to come by in the early game, when you aren't ready for interstellar war but still want to take your laser toys for an occasional test drive.

I dunno, maybe pirates are an invisible drain most of the time (and you can allocate ships to protect trade to reduce this drain), but every so often you get a "Pirate Base Located" event which spawns actual ships you can go and fight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is Nihilistic Acquisition still terrible compared to the other options?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is Nihilistic Acquisition still terrible compared to the other options?

In the current game, yes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Anno posted:

We haven’t actually seen infrastructure in the last few weeks of screenshots. I suspect it was just rolled into pops/housing in some way.

I think you're right. I didn't even notice that. It does seem to correlate to housing/population in the latest screenhots. I guess it doesn't make a difference - the things that gave you infrastructure were also the things that gave you housing anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wiegieman posted:

In the current game, yes.

I hope they find a way to fix that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I hope they find a way to fix that.

Well if you can't "fill up" a planet, going around stealing pops for enslavement sounds like it would actually be rather good

If they introduce a raiding mechanic so you can do it without war that'd be even better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well if you can't "fill up" a planet, going around stealing pops for enslavement sounds like it would actually be rather good

If they introduce a raiding mechanic so you can do it without war that'd be even better.

I like the idea of Determined Exterminators kidnapping pops and relocating them to hell worlds to serve as handy robot snacks.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It looks like you might also be able to sell extras on the galactic market.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder of non-slaving empires will be able to purchase slaves from the slave market so they can emancipate them.

That way you can just keep enslaving people and having all the galactic do-gooders bankroll your empire as they keep trying to do the right thing and undo the chaos you're spreading.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I wonder of non-slaving empires will be able to purchase slaves from the slave market so they can emancipate them.

That way you can just keep enslaving people and having all the galactic do-gooders bankroll your empire as they keep trying to do the right thing and undo the chaos you're spreading.

If you can't do this currently, they should definitely add it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder if the empires that don't do diplomacy will be able to participate in the market at all.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Aaaaaaand now I can't play until the patch and associated dlc comes out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheCog posted:

Yup. It's been that way for me since it was announced.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TheCog posted:

Wow it's taken this long?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheCog posted:

Seriously. I hardly ever get to play Stellaris anymore, since everytime I wander through these boards I hear about a game I'd much rather play and wait for that one instead. :sigh:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One problem I have is I hear about these overhauls coming, and not want to get into the game because the overhauls are right around the corner.

Why do you do this to me, Wiz? :negative:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, I've been peeking around the wiki, and it seems that Machine Empires can access the Shroud now? I'm with the rest of the guys waiting for the new update, and playing a psychic machine empire sounds cool.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

IAmTheRad posted:

One problem I have is I hear about these overhauls coming, and not want to get into the game because the overhauls are right around the corner.

:same:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jng2058 posted:

Seriously. I hardly ever get to play Stellaris anymore, since everytime I wander through these boards I hear about a game I'd much rather play and wait for that one instead. :sigh:

the stimpire syndrome

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if the empires that don't do diplomacy will be able to participate in the market at all.

According to the latest dev diary: uh, maybe?

Diary #125 posted:

Internal vs Galactic Market
At the start of the game, empires only have access to the Internal Market, which represents trading with actors inside your empire such as corporations and local governments, or in the case of Gestalt Consciousness empires, resource reprocessing. The prices on the Internal Market are set to always be higher than those on the Galactic Market, so relying too heavily on trading will be disadvantageous in the first few decades of the game. Some empires, such as Devouring Swarms, may only ever have access to the Internal Market (this is something we're still testing and balancing) and so might get better prices there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

the stimpire syndrome

if your load game menu isn't a graveyard of half finished broken and incompatible save files what are you even doing with your life

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Xik posted:

if your load game menu isn't a graveyard of half finished broken and incompatible save files what are you even doing with your life

:emptyquote:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

IAmTheRad posted:

Mostly just to see you suffer, tbh.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I play one game a few days after release of a new patch (to give mods time to update) and then start one on the ramp up to a new patch release.

Wiz, I've asked this before but don't think I ever got an answer - I've had a few games since 2.1 launched where star systems don't have a central star, and I'm wondering if this is mod fuckery, or if this is part of the base game now?

Kinda makes making nice neat territories a pain in the rear end.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I might just do an achievement run, finally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tithin posted:

I play one game a few days after release of a new patch (to give mods time to update) and then start one on the ramp up to a new patch release.

Wiz, I've asked this before but don't think I ever got an answer - I've had a few games since 2.1 launched where star systems don't have a central star, and I'm wondering if this is mod fuckery, or if this is part of the base game now?

I have never encountered that so i think you have a mod fuckup somewhere.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tithin posted:

That's a mod

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

tithin posted:

Mods, almost certainly.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dev diary will be a little late, so Martin gave some bonus tweets:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1045232758421958656

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1045234423829073925

I definitely saw the luxury goods change coming, a diamond ring was an odd fit for what Luxury Goods became (an upkeep of everyday things that everyone wants, like cars and furniture) and was better suited for Trade Value ("useless" but valuable stuff dug out of the ground, like diamonds). It's... still kinda a weird fit for Trade Value because diamond rings aren't in full ring form right when they're dug up, but I guess a raw diamond isn't usable since that's already being used as the icon for basic minerals.

Wonder what the final "all the science" icon will be, it looks like we're still using the resized three beakers.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 27, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I will miss the additional flavour of luxury goods, but perhaps they were a complication too far.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aethernet posted:

I will miss the additional flavour of luxury goods, but perhaps they were a complication too far.
Seems to be the same concept while avoiding the problem of "ah but my rulers are all spartan ascetics, Wiz why can't I have a job to autopurge any loving nobles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Mostly just to see you suffer, tbh.

How do you say schadenfreude in Swedish?