Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
when you say half the game do you mean quality-wise or content-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quality. I can't speed for the length of it just yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's a shame to hear, I enjoyed PF. But even looking at the Kingmaker screenshots invokes World of Warcraft effect lighting and the footage from the ads has that kind of budget stock asset store animated flying creature prefab wireframe $29.99 mojo.

Pillars of Eternity 2, though, it looks just great. It runs fine if I set the priority to High in task manager, otherwise it's like 20fps.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Taear posted:

That's bizzare. Missing the conversation would have annoyed me but I was pretty loving confused when I had to fight it since the dialogue prompts before had come across like it was dead.
The conversation did feel like a bug though.

Is it worth getting the new DLC if all I care about is story content? I backed Kingmaker so I'm going to be playing that but SSS doesn't seem like it's aimed at me.
There is some pretty decent lore in there but it's super short. Basically you uncover why this island is the way it is and a little of behind the scenes.

There's also nice little bits where between fights your competition either taunts you or chats with you. The bear bros were my favourite.

If you have zero interest in the fights though I'd say the story isn't really worth it (due to length not quality). If you're just ok with the fights maybe wait for a sale.

Edit: I've completed story found all the artifacts but haven't done the last few artifact fights just to let you know where I am in the DLC.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 26, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't find it in the patch notes: Did the most recent patch include some of the changes to make Full Attack spam less appealing compared to two-handed weapons?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

For SSS, you get a recommendation for bringing a party member, and I have never used this character before.

They are a single class skald chanter. Apparently no one thinks that this is worthy of a build, and I don't really have much experience with that class.

Any recommendations? My group is max level. The fights in SSS are quite challenging and it feels like the new addition to the party isn't pulling their weight.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ravenfood posted:

I can't find it in the patch notes: Did the most recent patch include some of the changes to make Full Attack spam less appealing compared to two-handed weapons?

I think the dual-wield full attack damage nerf was two patches ago.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Anno posted:

I think the dual-wield full attack damage nerf was two patches ago.

Ah, yeah, it was, thanks. I hadn't played since then since I was waiting for SSS to come out.

Which, well, already has a bug. I ran into Mariki's Metalworks and ended up in a conversation with Izzia that I was unable to progress because I had zero options available to me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jimbot posted:

Playing the Pathfinder game makes me love this one so much more. Them dumping these tabletop rules for a homebrew that's easier and simplified was the greatest move in the history of CRPG design. Pathfinder Kingmaker literally Baldur's Gate 2018. Here's what I wrote on the Steam forums:

Yea, while I'm enjoying myself I'm loving BAFFLED by the game, it just doesn't tell you what's going on. I at first made an Inquisitor but I don't really know what my role is so I deleted and remade a Barbarian.
Confusing.

And I hate that I can't rename my pet! I know that's a small thing (and I prefer that they level up and change appearance unlike PoE) but still.

And every game needs a speed up button. Every game ever.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DrPop posted:

What is the composition of y'all's parties usually like? In my first playthrough, I basically had Eder (Fighter) tanking, Xoti (Priest) as a secondary tank in heavy armor, Aloth (Wizard) in the back, Tekehu (Druid) typically at back as well casting offensive spells, and my PC (Rogue) floating between ranged damage and nasty stabbing up close. Seemed to work okay most times. Trying to figure out what to try in a new run. Is 2 tanks, 2 ranged, and 1 floater good?

Also, I just realized that in my first playthrough I accidentally used my PoE1 save for a character I completed before White March came out, so none of that factored into my Deadfire game. Whoops!

Current party is:

Watcher: Ghost Heart/Cipher Shoots things with the Essence Bow and switches to Red Hand to delete annoying undead. Uses cipher powers to buff/debuff.
Eder: Fighter/Rogue Just kind of Eders around the battlefield being Eder.
Palligina: Chanter/Paladin An unkillable aura-providing pylon that can also rez and spot heal.
Konstanten: Chanter A tanky damage dealer.
Tekehu: Druid - Flexible provider of buffs, damage, or heals.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

For SSS, you get a recommendation for bringing a party member, and I have never used this character before.

They are a single class skald chanter. Apparently no one thinks that this is worthy of a build, and I don't really have much experience with that class.

Any recommendations? My group is max level. The fights in SSS are quite challenging and it feels like the new addition to the party isn't pulling their weight.

Konstanten is pretty legit as a kind of tanky damage dealer. He's basically there to provide an aura of your choice and spam 2 phrase damaging Invocations.

Give him all the +Int and +Acc gear you can spare and the magranite medium shield that counts as an offhand weapon. Stack as much crit chance as you reasonably can.

Take the following invocations:

Thrice Was She Wronged, and Thrice Justly Avenged (and upgrade it) - does electric damage to everything in the AOE, which bounces with the upgrade.
The Thunder Rolled Like Waves on Black Seas (and upgrade it) - does crush damage plus pushback and stun.
White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead (and upgrade it) - does AOE crush damage to any enemies near a corpse on the battlefield, and sickens them.

You can spam the above for 2 phrases and you'll be getting phrases off of crits as well. Pick other stuff according to your tastes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This DLC was alright, I play RPGs for the exploration and roleplaying so yeah I found it a bit lacking compared to Beast of Winter, which was great. I rolled with Konstanen during it and kind of made me regret not bringing Ydwin along for BoW because they do seem to flesh out those characters enough to make it interesting.

I pretty much killed every dragon I came across in both games aside from the one under the Watershaper Temple so reducing the Dragonstalkers to embarrassed mumbling was pretty funny.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's pretty cool. i bought this game a little before the dlc was released (and therefore before the sale), but valve support refunded me so i could get it at the sale price, even though i'd already played for like 12hrs.

it's about 50c less for both the game and the season pass compared to the base game at full price :)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Dumb question: how do I start the DLC? I've been sailing around waiting for the Steward to tell me about it. I'm level 18, so I don't think I'm under-leveled for it. Should I just head towards the island in the southwest that contains it?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think you have to be past a certain point in the main story; my level 20 post-Ashen Maw character got it immediately upon loading. You'll get a popup on your boat that the Steward wants to talk to you, and she'll initiate conversation automatically when you go below decks.

It's a shame you can't find the secondary artifacts your first time through the areas they're hidden in, but at least there's usually a bit of a fight so it feels a bit less like traipsing through places you've already been just to pick something up.

I had to put the difficulty down to Story mode because I want to check out the fights but the arena is one of the areas that is a slideshow on my old PC so I pretty much can't take part in them. I don't know why some areas (notably Delver's Row, Undercroft, Sacred Stair, and the Beast Of Winter Village) have such lower fps than all the other areas considering there's nothing relatively visually intensive going on in there

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You have to be at the story point where you need to head to Ukaizo for it to activate I think.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Any fun new items yet?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

You have to be at the story point where you need to head to Ukaizo for it to activate I think.

Ah, that'd do it, thanks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hi goons. I just bought the POE2:Obsidian Pack yesterday while it was on sale. I loved POE1 and just got done playing/replaying the entire BG series with all expansions.
I was in the middle of playing Divinity: Original Sin, but I couldn't pass up the sale and now I'm playing POE2.

I played a druid in the first pillars but didn't really care for him that much and couldn't find the save, so I started a new game without importing. I went with an elf rogue this time. Taking the rest of the day off to play.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Anno posted:

Any fun new items yet?

There's a (maybe incomplete?) list on the official boards

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For plague-ships, is there ever an option to help? All I get is the option to sink them, board them, and apologize for not having treatment.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Yes you can help. You probably need more medical supplies and/or a better doctor.

Anno
May 10, 2017

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

There's a (maybe incomplete?) list on the official boards

Nice! Thanks.

That first one looks like it could be very powerful. Lots of neat looking items in there.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

drat these fights tough as hell. I'm stuck on the third fight in the Rite of Passage pissed-off Maerwald with a mirror of my party. Are those Vessels?

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That one was really tough, I kept way back at the edge of the platform on my 2nd try, and for some reason maerwald didn't engage. I had Pallegina and Eder off tank while i tried to AOE down the mirrors and phantoms, it took a long while, the phantoms weren't bad but the mirrors had pretty high defenses.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Konstanten is pretty legit as a kind of tanky damage dealer. He's basically there to provide an aura of your choice and spam 2 phrase damaging Invocations.

Give him all the +Int and +Acc gear you can spare and the magranite medium shield that counts as an offhand weapon. Stack as much crit chance as you reasonably can.

Take the following invocations:

Thrice Was She Wronged, and Thrice Justly Avenged (and upgrade it) - does electric damage to everything in the AOE, which bounces with the upgrade.
The Thunder Rolled Like Waves on Black Seas (and upgrade it) - does crush damage plus pushback and stun.
White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead (and upgrade it) - does AOE crush damage to any enemies near a corpse on the battlefield, and sickens them.

You can spam the above for 2 phrases and you'll be getting phrases off of crits as well. Pick other stuff according to your tastes.

Does two weapon style and weapon and shield style stack with weapon + magran's favor (a shield that is also a weapon)?

Also, thank you for the build, it seems that he's way better with this stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drewjitsu posted:

magran's favor (a shield that is also a weapon)

now don't quote me on this but afaik the hard rule is, what is the equipment listed as in its detailed description? battle axe or shield, that's what the game considers it to be for style feats

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

now don't quote me on this but afaik the hard rule is, what is the equipment listed as in its detailed description? battle axe or shield, that's what the game considers it to be for style feats

Oops, I meant Magran's Blessing. The medium shield, not the axe.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok well looking at it i'm gonna guess it only counts as a shield, it doesn't list a weapon type under the damage stats

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Really cool to hear about tough as nails fights. I'm kind of tempted to jump on the Magran's Fires train and do a new playthrough with a number of those challenges, but then again, my first playthrough was on Veteran so that might be a little too harsh of a jump.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Does two weapon style and weapon and shield style stack with weapon + magran's favor (a shield that is also a weapon)?

Also, thank you for the build, it seems that he's way better with this stuff.

If it works like the Fist-o-Matic-Shield (or whatever it's called) then yes, it double-counts. My monk/paladin Watcher is an absolute beast with that thing.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Really cool to hear about tough as nails fights. I'm kind of tempted to jump on the Magran's Fires train and do a new playthrough with a number of those challenges, but then again, my first playthrough was on Veteran so that might be a little too harsh of a jump.

If you've never tried PotD difficulty then know that it's a pretty big step up from Veteran. I actually just abandoned a PotD run I had started to do Beast of Winter because I realized I just wasn't enjoying all of the extra time and work the higher difficulty requires. Started a new game with a Herald on Veteran difficulty and wow it's so much more relaxing!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

ratchild13 posted:

That one was really tough, I kept way back at the edge of the platform on my 2nd try, and for some reason maerwald didn't engage. I had Pallegina and Eder off tank while i tried to AOE down the mirrors and phantoms, it took a long while, the phantoms weren't bad but the mirrors had pretty high defenses.

I finally managed it by Wall of Colors spamming the mirror party and murking the mirror versions of my Big Hittas first. Was a tough one!

Have made it a few fights past that one. This is challenging as hell and I'm enjoying it. I play on Classic and I can't imagine how hard it is for higher difficulties.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I went into the DLC with all my level 17-19 companions with the intentions of getting them up to level 20 like my main squad but they got hammered on Veteran. It's not like I was neglecting them, Rekke had a fully soulbound Voulge and everyone was equipped with pretty good stuff. But I just got demolished on the first fight. In go Eder and Xoti, out come Rekke and Ydwin. Now I'm leveling up Konstanten and Fassina for the time being. Konstanten has the most companion dialogue in SSS but Fassina has a lot of little interjections, kind of surprising me.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Do I need to have finished PoE before I play PoE2? I played maybe 2 hours of the original but quit because the PS4 controls just weren't fun. That being said, I'd be playing it on my laptop this time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was told by the RPG thread that I could play this fine without having played 1 (which I've bounced off a couple of times) so I ended up buying it :toot: I'm uh... stuck at character creation.

I'm into Cipher's whole deal with the combination of magic and melee (I always liked spellblade type characters) but I also like my main characters to be sneaky. My first thought was that I'd multiclass Rogue/Cipher or something, but I gather that's not a very good idea for a newbie? What sort of build do you guys recommend for me? :shobon:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

omg chael crash posted:

Do I need to have finished PoE before I play PoE2? I played maybe 2 hours of the original but quit because the PS4 controls just weren't fun. That being said, I'd be playing it on my laptop this time.

The intro to Poe2 will break down the story for you pretty well.

That said, Poe1 is a good game and playing it will add to the experience for you imo. But it's up to you. It is a long game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How easy is it to set up some DA:O like tactics and maybe focus on 1 or 2 characters? From what I understand, they greatly improved the party AI? Or at least my ability to automate it?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i'm playin pathfinder;kingmaker and despite the obtuse af combat, ux design, most dungeon areas barely running on my computer and dumb random encounters its pretty fun and im enjoying the writing, companions and how quests change depending which one u do first

tbh the biggest problem kingmaker hjas is the same problem Deadfire had, not letting u romance elf baes, sumthin that baldurs gate solved forever ago wtf

TEENAGE WITCH fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

omg chael crash posted:

How easy is it to set up some DA:O like tactics and maybe focus on 1 or 2 characters? From what I understand, they greatly improved the party AI? Or at least my ability to automate it?

You can definitely do that if you want. Like DA1, you can set up conditions and stuff