Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Futaba Anzu posted:

instead of doing the smart thing i mentioned above (even if the 200 price points ended up being false), I decided to get roped into a massdrop for a $100 gaming chair that I am wholly unimpressed with. Gaming chairs are a loving scam I would have genuinely had a better experience buying an office depot chair tbh.

they dont get any good until you pay at least $500 which still isnt any sort of guarantee. At that price you should have bought something else

$100 isnt that bad for a cheapo gaming chair. I know a few guys who are on their 4th or 5th gaming chairs, they keep changing brands because they are sure the next one will be good despite them all coming out of the same 3 factories. Its always a bent base, broken arms or worn out seat front that happens. They last about 18 months on average before the fake leather starts to get bad

The best "gaming chair" I have ever had was when I ripped an actual racing bucket seat from a car and mounted it on casters. Actual car seat levels of durability but no leaning back without falling over. As it was a real performance part it ended up being sold and put into a car or I would definitely still be using it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My truck's seat is the most comfortable chair. I want to go to a junkyard and pull one, then build a base for it. But, :effort:

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Does anyone have experience with the Haworth Zody? I have the chance to pick one up for 120usd and wanted to check if there was anything to know before throwing down for it

edit: Bought it and enjoying it, especially for the price. Wouldnt know it was used if I hadnt been told :downs:

TryAgainBragg fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 5, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://chairbuilder.sitonit.net/#Task/Wit/_/config

Anybody have these? An office at work got a whole bunch and they seem fit for purpose and nice, but I don't work in that office so I don't sit on them all day. I like the mesh back since my current chair's "leather" is flaking off and making a huge mess. The price is also not too crazy. I can't remember if the arms drop flat, but that would be nice since I play guitar and would like to have optional armrests.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got my embody today and I am already in love. I think I may wheel it over to the TV to sit and watch TV in over my way to soft and needs to be replaced couch. Thanks again to whomever pointed out the small business discount you can get on these. Finally pushed me to pull the trigger.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
My friend has a Noble Chair. They can be bought in Europe at least, for example here for a reasonable price compared to some other prices I saw in this thread. The chair he has (I forget the exact type) is very comfortable and looks really sturdy. The noblechairs manufacturers website lists all types.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't buy a gaming chair

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is a gaming chair just an office chair but with a neck rest?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
No, a gaming chair is a pile of PU synthetic leather and ‘XXXTreme!!’ styling that will make you sweat like a sauté pan and will start to come apart within weeks.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
can we add this to the OP?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
it's completely fake relax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-Qd16pAd8

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I got one of these, and so far it isn't terrible.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Dunno about how good the ergonomics are but the seven year warranty is better than I expected unless there's some fine print involved.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

After swapping to a Steelcase Gesture from a generic dxracer gaming chair, it's night and day. Those standard gaming chairs are absolutely massive, having a lot more bulk and material but it doesn't do anything with it. As DoctorTristan says, it's just a false leather cover over cheap-ish padding. It won't be completely uncomfortable but it won't stand up to long-term use.

I do miss some of the bulk and mass of the old chair but the Gesture gives me way more support. Sure, I can't recline nearly all the way back like with a gaming chair but I'd gladly trade that for a chair that's consistently comfortable to sit in normally.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

isndl posted:

Dunno about how good the ergonomics are but the seven year warranty is better than I expected unless there's some fine print involved.

At that price, I doubt many bother with the warranty unless something hilarious (like it literally collapses) happens.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I went to a local office furniture refurbisher/warehouse type thing today. I tried out a bunch of chairs, and ended up taking home a used, but pretty good shape Steelcase Leap V2.

My only issue was that it was a little short for me, but I felt that way about most chairs. My past solution was to pick up a short stool gas lift and swap it in, using the bottom of the 14-22" range, vs the top of the ~9"-16" range of a standard chair cylinder.

I took the lift off my old chair and tried it on the Leap, it fit alright but then I noticed I couldn't adjust the height at all. Looking closer, the Leap V2 seems to use a different type of trigger on its cylinder I haven't seen before, it presses in from the side instead of pressing down. :ughh:

I'd be willing to just buy another lift (the one I have is kinda old now anyway), but not many places even have this specific Leap V2 style to begin with, let alone in bigger sizes. Has anyone dealt with these before or have any ideas?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone with a Steelcase Leap found it becomes uncomfortable after a few years? I bought it used and have had it for quite a few years, don't know if it's the cushion but my butt cheeks and hamstrings ache after a while of sitting on it. It was amazing for my back when I first got it but now I just can't get the right setting.

Not sure if it's just me or not and didn't want to take a £300 gamble on an Aeron or something

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Anyone with a Steelcase Leap found it becomes uncomfortable after a few years? I bought it used and have had it for quite a few years, don't know if it's the cushion but my butt cheeks and hamstrings ache after a while of sitting on it. It was amazing for my back when I first got it but now I just can't get the right setting.

Not sure if it's just me or not and didn't want to take a £300 gamble on an Aeron or something

Yea is there anyway to get a replacement seat vision?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

i dont know when i read about it in this thread, but i recently bought some rollerblade wheels for my dhair and it feels amazing. Gliding silently and smoothly really makes a difference.

Now my problem is that the chair just glides with even the smallest amount of force. Is there any solution to stopping the chair moving around too much other than a chair mat?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Put the original casters back on :v:

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Return them and buy rollerblade casters with the locking mechanism? Or sell the chair and buy a sit-to-stand will some rollerblade skates on :whatup:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There should be casters that self-lock when there's no weight on them but I have no idea what the proper terminology is to search for them. :downs:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I've ironically got an Aeron I'm thinking about replacing for sort of similar reasons. I got the mid-tier (B) model a million years ago, but I feel like it's too small for me now - even though I'm in the lower end of the "B or C" area of the chart.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

ufarn posted:

I've ironically got an Aeron I'm thinking about replacing for sort of similar reasons. I got the mid-tier (B) model a million years ago, but I feel like it's too small for me now - even though I'm in the lower end of the "B or C" area of the chart.

I'm 6'2" 200lbs. A reseller near me is selling size B 'near mjnt' for £300 including delivery and even installation (is it that complex?).

I'm on the edge between c and b it seems, but this does seem a good price. Are you a big boi like me too and would not recommend?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DarthBlingBling posted:

I'm 6'2" 200lbs. A reseller near me is selling size B 'near mjnt' for £300 including delivery and even installation (is it that complex?).

I'm on the edge between c and b it seems, but this does seem a good price. Are you a big boi like me too and would not recommend?
I’m more or less your frame, so you’ll probably fall in the same “B or C category”, too. The website has the sizing chart in a PDF I assume, but I’m not near my computer right now and can’t check it for you.

The main issue is that the back support won’t even to go your shoulders, and the frame around the edges of the seat and back support is hard plastic which is kinda bad if you’re not well within said edge.

It’s the one major Achilles heel of the mesh fabric that’s probably responsible for no one else doing the same, even Herman Miller.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 14, 2018

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

DarthBlingBling posted:

C, I'm 6'3" and was a few pounds more and the C fit much better. Of course that was then and this now with an additional 15 lbs. I found the Mirra to fit better than an Aeron and an Embody the holy grail of chairs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I need an ergonomic desk chair for a fold-out secretary desk that's in a common area of my home, so it needs to be compact and look design-y while not being too visually intrusive. The Embody is too big for the area, and an Eames Aluminum Group chair would be too "bling." Any ideas for something ergo-friendly, small, and understated? User will be 5'8", 110lbs.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 21, 2018

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea is there anyway to get a replacement seat vision?

i've looked and never found anything, I'd like to get a replacement cushion.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Yeah I posted about this a few pages back. My seat cushion wore out after ~5 years and I was able to get a free replacement under warranty. If you're not covered under warranty you can buy a cushion from a local Steelcase dealer, which will run around $180.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I game, LP, and periodically work from home for sessions of sometimes minutes and sometimes hours at a time, and I got me a Humanscale Diffrient World, and it's the best about-tree-fiddy I ever spent on anything that didn't have electronics in it. Those guys are really onto something with their minimal-adjustment design. I've heard it told that there are people for whom their "the chair just adjusts to you automatically" setup doesn't work, but I sure am not one of those.

It helped, enormously, that John Lewis are a partnered retailer of theirs and I could go into any store and sit in all the chairs before buying one, which is how I know that I find the Freedom, which retails for like 3x the price, about half as comfortable as the Diffrient World. I don't get that at all.

I am also blown away by how light it is. For all my preview time in John Lewis I never thought to try picking it up, but there it is. One delivery guy basically carried the thing into my house over his head like a jar in Zelda.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Anyone in the DC area able to get a deal on Herman Miller chairs? I'm set on picking up an Embody but the Healthy Back store will only offer 10% currently.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TenementFunster posted:

I need an ergonomic desk chair for a fold-out secretary desk that's in a common area of my home, so it needs to be compact and look design-y while not being too visually intrusive. The Embody is too big for the area, and an Eames Aluminum Group chair would be too "bling." Any ideas for something ergo-friendly, small, and understated? User will be 5'8", 110lbs.

I appreciate you specifically said not an eames aluminium group chair, but you can get them with a black or graphite frame.

I have a second hand aluminium group chair that I got for something like £100 off ebay, I love it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anybody have experience with a Topstar Sitness RS? I tried one in a store and it seemed to fit well(191cm, 90kg me + 5kg lap cat) but the "gamer" label is setting off alarm bells.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I picked up a used Leap about 6 years ago (made in 99!) and at first it was the most comfortable chair ever. Now I'm finding it's hurting my legs after a few hours of sitting for work, it's the leather model and the padding in the seat seems completely non-existent and like you my butt and hamstrings start to ache. I suppose I should look into upgrading at some point to something new but $$$.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 22, 2018

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Coolnezzz posted:

I picked up a used Leap about 6 years ago (made in 99!) and at first it was the most comfortable chair ever. Now I'm finding it's hurting my legs after a few hours of sitting for work, it's the leather model and the padding in the seat seems completely non-existent and like you my butt and hamstrings start to ache. I suppose I should look into upgrading at some point to something new but $$$.

Yeah, from reading this thread for a long time people seem to be split on whether they love the mesh on an Aeron or hate it and I don't really have a way of trying one. I'd love an Embody but if you can even find them used they're way to expensive

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Yeah, from reading this thread for a long time people seem to be split on whether they love the mesh on an Aeron or hate it and I don't really have a way of trying one. I'd love an Embody but if you can even find them used they're way to expensive

The Embody is a very good chair that my butt approves of.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Coolnezzz posted:

I contacted a steelcase dealer and they said they will definitely order a replacement cushion, I'd try that.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Google Butt posted:

I contacted a steelcase dealer and they said they will definitely order a replacement cushion, I'd try that.

I've been meaning to do this since the piston has been dead since I bought it as well. Always on the floor! Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

Anyone in the DC area able to get a deal on Herman Miller chairs? I'm set on picking up an Embody but the Healthy Back store will only offer 10% currently.

I was in DC when I ordered and embody (in November 2009!) and it looks like the best deal at the time was ordering from OfficeDesigns.com. They actually have remained the same price from the looks of it. Can't get that sweet mango color any more, though. Not sure if it's considered a "deal" but I think they had 0% financing at the time.