Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Sagebrush posted:

i got about halfway through it. not bad in concept but i think to get the most out of it you have to approach it with the soviet nihilist mindset
if you live in the year of our lord 2018 then i have good news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:geno:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ah yes, shes the one that came over from EA and recently left Tesla after a leave of absence :thumbsup:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
hahaha, do you think it's a morale issue for management, knowing that elon, is liable (lol) to start tweeting something that makes my_crimes_and_or_unethical_practices.txt discoverable or subpoenable

:elongate: sub-peen-able :elongate:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

death_intersection.gif comes from these guys
they have a paper that attempts to address failure modes and it's pretty funny

sure hope the crashed car gets out a warning to the intersection manager in time
also hope it isn't trivial to spoof those warning signals and gently caress poo poo up for the lulz

lol this owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO2zVYB1TMc

loving lmao at their starting assumption that a delay of ~27s at an intersection is unacceptably high when 20-35s is your actual design goal to allow for things like "pedestrians crossing the street" and "slowing the gently caress down you maniac you can wait 27 seconds"

also jfc their "reservation system" for autonomous vehicles approaching intersections is hilarious and among other things assumes that no one is already waiting at the light on your approach

tho i'm a big fan of that graphic that shows the intersection with 6 lane approaches since they don't also include what that traffic load looks like for under "traditional" signalization since it probably operates at level of service A with delays less than 5s

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol this owns

loving lmao at their starting assumption that a delay of ~27s at an intersection is unacceptably high when 20-35s is your actual design goal to allow for things like "pedestrians crossing the street" and "slowing the gently caress down you maniac you can wait 27 seconds"

also jfc their "reservation system" for autonomous vehicles approaching intersections is hilarious and among other things assumes that no one is already waiting at the light on your approach

tho i'm a big fan of that graphic that shows the intersection with 6 lane approaches since they don't also include what that traffic load looks like for under "traditional" signalization since it probably operates at level of service A with delays less than 5s

Now do the simulation where a homeless person walks into the intersection

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

El Mero Mero posted:

non-issue.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol this owns

At 1:46 the autonomous car blatantly runs a red light.

edit: actually happens through the entire video?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm a fan of all the autonomous cars taking the turns full speed without slowing down

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MononcQc posted:

I'm a fan of all the autonomous cars taking the turns full speed without slowing down

They're less cars and more Elon's sub with 360° wheels.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

El Mero Mero posted:

*50 car pile up ensues, several sims run screaming from the flaming wreckage*

though I’m guessing the answer would be the reservation system would account for pedestrians... somehow?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde
the reservation system predicts the future so it just routes the traffic around the lane(s) the hobo is about to occupy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

At 1:46 the autonomous car blatantly runs a red light.

edit: actually happens through the entire video?

yeah the paper says that they have a "reservation system" where the autonomous car is allowed to run the red if it arranges the crossing window in advance with the management software.

i have no idea how that is supposed to work when you have any human drivers in the system at all. maybe the roads are supposed to have sensors and can detect approaching manually-controlled cars and try to anticipate their behavior. it sounds like a disaster but who knows, i didn't write the paper

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao someone forward this to ol Musky

https://nmpositive.tumblr.com/post/178467540181/carinteriors-1983-opel-junior-concept-a

1983 Opel Junior concept. A modular system would let you configure your instruments to your liking.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://twitter.com/icannot_enough/status/1043867064857964545?s=21

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the reservation system predicts the future so it just routes the traffic around the lane(s) the hobo is about to occupy

we don’t direct the car to where the hobo is. we direct the car to where the hobo is going to be - Wayne Musky

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

god drat they're right *uninstalls tableau.exe, brain*

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

disco-sales-chart.png

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Vomik posted:

we don’t direct the car to where the hobo is. we direct the car to where the hobo is going to be - Wayne Musky

“you miss 100% of the hobos you don’t hit”

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

oh i know this one. its because two monts after they finish filling their preorders theyre gonna run out of cash and liquidate

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

it’s also just showing revenue

not revenue net of tent rental

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

What does graphing it like that do as opposed to a histogram? (lets him hide the actual numbers better with a format that can't accommodate a scale)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also humans are extremely bad at estimating areas and comparing them to one another

Also there's a joke here about the Piaget test where children don't understand conservation of mass until they've reached a certain stage of brain development, but I can't quite place it. something something reddit tesla stans are mental infants

"Okay, now I'm going to pour the water from one jar into this tall one. Which one has more?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

Also humans are extremely bad at estimating areas and comparing them to one another
theres literally a whole chapter about it in how to lie with statistics

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/andrelix/status/1044964276136361984

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the problem there? Like okay Tesla gently caress something up, but can't he just read the VIN off his dashboard and mail it to the insurance company?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

What's the problem there? Like okay Tesla gently caress something up, but can't he just read the VIN off his dashboard and mail it to the insurance company?

the vin in the letter matches the vin on his dashboard

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Apparently, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, he hasn't received anything at all that would prove he actually owns it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

it’s the right VIN

Tesla hosed up registering it with the government

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay so he needs to update the VIN with the DMV. I believe in situations like this they can issue like a 3-day temporary plate so he can legally drive it down there to have it inspected and updated.

Admittedly that is an incredibly stupid hassle and Tesla should cover the cost of having the car towed down to the DMV so they can do it on the spot

Teslmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

Okay so he needs to update the VIN with the DMV. I believe in situations like this they can issue like a 3-day temporary plate so he can legally drive it down there to have it inspected and updated.

Admittedly that is an incredibly stupid hassle and Tesla should cover the cost of having the car towed down to the DMV so they can do it on the spot

Teslmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrelix/status/1044978174432489472

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lol dusted hard

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

mrmcd posted:

New Fallout game looks badass.

The actual way that train cars move in Fallout is far funnier.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABR4KgXoZPE

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

'most of my savings'

i knwo we all lol and such at how dumb these people are but instead of investing or buying property, or donating to the poor, or buying blow & hookers has decided that all his life's heretofore hard work and dedication will be spent on a busted rear end car that he can't even drive.

seriously think how much blow and pussy he could have gotten. that's sad. that's really sad and i'm not 'lolling' at all.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i pity that person but i’m still gonna laugh at them because if they were dumb enough to do that they were also dumb enough to hand all their money to any other conman

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah you're right i'm still lolling but still. gently caress. dude get some perspective. learn the value of a dollar. mow some lawns and buy some drugs so you at least have a baseline of how much $65k or whatever even is

gently caress

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I’m the covered-up names that then appear again on the next line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jabor posted:

Apparently, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, he hasn't received anything at all that would prove he actually owns it.

he only proved he owns himself