Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

btw what's a crick? my english dictionary says it's some kind of clay deposit in a sandstone? what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mike12345 posted:

btw what's a crick? my english dictionary says it's some kind of clay deposit in a sandstone? what

it's slang for a creek, like a relatively small stream of water

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

it's slang for a creek, like a relatively small stream of water

And Moonshine refers to anybody from The Crick as a Crick. Took me a while to catch on to that

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haven’t had time to listen much, but I’m almost through the first arc, and boy do I love the green teens.

Tooooouuuuuccchhh hands!

Also, the fact that there is a merit patch for seemingly every arbitrary task or action might be my favorite running joke.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sounds like a good show, I’m downloading the first three episodes now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
(New episode spoilers)

Only about halfway through so far but holy poo poo. They may want to check their d20s and make sure they're not actually coins because Moonshine just got 3 20s in a row and Hardwon & The Watchman just rolled 1's. Like what the gently caress is going on over there?? They also had insane luck with 20s during the live show, like I seriously wonder if they got some hosed up dice.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
This fresh strain of 'gently caress centrism' is very my thing.

The band are good and noble.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Just finished the crick arc, this show rules, balnor rules

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"You know, if you think about it Balnor, pockets are like bags for your pants."

I don't readily invite these sorts of comparisons but I find NADD funny more frequently than TAZ.

It's just the perfect mix of wholesome and disgusting.

"Halfling Tupperware" comes to mind.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
holy poo poo, the foursome

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farg posted:

holy poo poo, the foursome

Latest episode
It's so great that the reason Moonshine took a point in Barbarian was because of her frustrations with Balnor.

Shut up, it's canon!

Also her getting three 20s in a row is BONKERS.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got to listen to a few episodes today, and I'm now through Moonstone and halfway through the final episode of Ezry.

Ezry: I knew as soon as Professor Duttle gave the Band of Twos those long rest potions, that it was going to end up being a horrible mistake. That's far too much power for any simple party member to wield!

Murphy is a drat creative DM. I loved the repurposing of sci-fi dystopia tropes into this post-war fantasy city with these weird designer drugs (And the name R. Caine is very good for that purpose too). Hell, just R. Caine in general sounds like an element I'd love to retool and fit into my own sessions.

Stunkbug is a great temporary addition to the crew, and I love the way that Murphy plays off of the crazy poo poo the players say and build their characters and world with. Like, Stunkbug is constantly talking about living in and eating literal poo poo, and then Duttle after being confronted, points out that those implanted memories were all just jokes and that orcs don't actually eat poo poo. This makes me all the more excited to see what the eventual Crick is going to look like, because if it's half as insane as Moonshine has made it sound...

I also do like that they feel like they're in danger at times, unlike TAZ. I think only once listening to TAZ did I think someone might die, and then Travis ended up not doing the extremely dangerous thing that would have likely killed him in the end. Here, people are rolling death saving throws fairly often. Which isn't necessarily a slight against TAZ, because I love TAZ and it's different styles of play and storytelling, but it really makes me fear for the character's at points.

This show is extremely good.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The only downside The Band of Boobs has over Tres Horny Boys is their ad section is an hour long. But, thankfully, it's all at the end.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The only downside The Band of Boobs has over Tres Horny Boys is their ad section is an hour long. But, thankfully, it's all at the end.

I feel guilty skipping over it because there's often some good jokes in there but ehhhh.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

I feel guilty skipping over it because there's often some good jokes in there but ehhhh.

There are some solid jokes in there, but it's the same ones every week pretty much.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Watchman: Bev just tried to feed a god a puke berry. :stare:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It worked out well for him!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, who needs bones!?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I love you. You will marry me??

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farg posted:

I love you. You will marry me??

Okay

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Hey, throwing this out there, Short Rest is fully worth the $5/m.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Not Operator posted:

Agreed. I kind of regret the 5 bucks I give max fun for TAZ, but not this show.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not Operator posted:

That's really good to know. I'm a tad gun-shy when it comes to having MORE Patreon subs.

Hey U Up is very funny, by the way and I intend to watch Hot Date (Netflix) this weekend.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Short Rest is fantastic and it's cool hearing what encounters the band of boobs being idiots completely short-circuited and skipped, especially now that I'm DMing a campaign of my own with players acting pretty similarly.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

That's really good to know. I'm a tad gun-shy when it comes to having MORE Patreon subs.

Hey U Up is very funny, by the way and I intend to watch Hot Date (Netflix) this weekend.

I mean obviously your mileage may vary but they start at ep 14, so there's plenty of volume. They've all been very high energy so far, with a bunch of fun "What could have happeneds," personal stories, explanations for character choices, and player reactions. Emily uploads her music to the same feed if that interests you.

They're all super excited to be playing. :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"I am very rich. You are very stupid, I love you."

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Jesus this episode was hilarious from start to finish and Hardwon is definitely going to ugly cry in public by the time this arc is over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ArchRanger posted:

Jesus this episode was hilarious from start to finish and Hardwon is definitely going to ugly cry in public by the time this arc is over.

You just KNOW that The Pale Prince is gonna be jacked and cool as hell. I kinda hate that Bev already mentioned it. Kinda killed the inertia of that (possible) joke.

I hope PP is super nice to the Two Crew without any secret evil plan. It'll all go to poo poo because Hardwon (one?) will not be able to suppress his insecurities.

gently caress me, I love this show. I don't really draw anymore but I'm thinking of making some fan art.

Edit: I'm dumb

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 5, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

Just finished the crick arc, this show rules, balnor rules

When I got to the end of the Crick arc the other day and Murph started describing Maribelle's past and how she wasn't the shitheel she seemed I was legit crying for about 5/10 minutes through the whole thing. It was pretty cliche, but the build up and the gang's silence through basically the whole thing was really emotive.

I love that Murph is building up a continuous plot for each member of the Band of Boobs too. Hardwon found out who his parents were and has inherited his father's ship but condemned his mom's soul to eternal damnation and needs to go see a God to try and win her peace and the current arc centers around his love life, Bev probably needs to rescue his father from the Feywild and his home city is being held by a faux-God and Moonshine has just learned the Crick Elves have abandoned the Crick out of fear of Thiala and the Crick may never be there home again if they don't stop her. The gang can go have a few episodes of silly fun adventures where they just act like total idiots but Murph has built up enough storylines around the poo poo they say that he can spin something out that ties in to one or more of them for a few episodes too and if the past is anything to go by, when each character does wrap up one part of their past he'll just move things around so they'll always have a personal goal of some kind.

It also helps that the players get so in to their characters. Jake admitting that Hardwon's peevishness about the Ice Dwarves in the latest episode was partly based on how he thought his character would react and partly based on his own feelings for them after how things have gone for Hardwon is a good indication of how they all seem to view the entire thing.

NeuroticLich posted:

Here, people are rolling death saving throws fairly often. Which isn't necessarily a slight against TAZ, because I love TAZ and it's different styles of play and storytelling, but it really makes me fear for the character's at points.

I caught up on the show in the last day or two and by the end of one of the latest episodes all 3 core members were having to make death saving throws, as was Balnor and the guest was the only one on her feet. By the end even she was only just barely squeaking through alive. It was fairly funny that almost every move in a round was "roll your death saving throw".

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Double posting with a quick question I forgot to include last time. Murph mentions another podcast called "Dimension 20" during the latest episode that he's playing with a different DM and I can't find it so I was wondering if it's going under a different name or not released on the app I use or something. I use Pocket Cast for reference.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tsob posted:

Double posting with a quick question I forgot to include last time. Murph mentions another podcast called "Dimension 20" during the latest episode that he's playing with a different DM and I can't find it so I was wondering if it's going under a different name or not released on the app I use or something. I use Pocket Cast for reference.

I think it's a live show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-eY2tDgXsY

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Watched every episode of Hot Date last night.

Watch it if you like to laugh, or if you want to watch Emily and Murph make out.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The first half of the season will apparently be on youtube for free and the second half will require you to go to their service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZxCVBi7-k

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not Operator posted:

Watched every episode of Hot Date last night.

Watch it if you like to laugh, or if you want to watch Emily and Murph make out.

So did I!
It's very relatable and I'm not sure what that says about my relationship.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The first half of the season will apparently be on youtube for free and the second half will require you to go to their service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZxCVBi7-k

Dropout's not available in my region yet, but the first episode is strong enough that I'd subscribe just for the rest if it were. It's not just Murph playing from Not Another D'n'D podcast by the way, Emily (Moonshine) and Siobhán (Apple Scrumper) are there too, playing vastly different but fun characters.

Murph is playing a wannabe detective rogue Goblin with an actual detective mom who's socially awkward and thinks being "professional" (ie handing out business cards) will get him friends, Emily is playing an Elf who found out she's half demon when she started growing horns and has turned from a sweet child in to a rebellious teen bard who plays bass because of it and Siobhán is playing a rich and connected but anxious Elf caster who failed the exams for the expected rich girl school due to a panic attack and has to slum it in the poor, adventurer school because of it while her family treats her like a disappointing poo poo.

There's also the priveliged son of an ex-pirate, a bible thumping hippie who wants to fit in with the bad kids to spread the good word and an Orc adopted by gnomes with anger issues. The show spent most of the first episode introducing everyone and giving them some time alone to set up their character's personality and circumstances (that's the first 50 minutes) and then bringing them all together, but it's good fun throughout.

Also, regarding this week's episode of NADDpod; that's definitely not how I expected this to go wrong. Strong stuff from everyone though; including Balnor, who's now officially a boob. Can't wait for next week already.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hardwon: ”I’ll talk to the storm god myself” holy poo poo :stare:

This show rules. I think this might have surpassed TAZ as my favorite actual play show by this point. Like, I legitimately shouted in excitement at several times during my two-hour drive today.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

So did I!
It's very relatable and I'm not sure what that says about my relationship.

I've never even been in a serious, long term relationship and I found the first two episodes really funny and the characters relatable since so much of them is about how aging and maturing changes you and finding it hard to reconcile those changes with your own self image. It veers towards awkward humor a few times, which isn't for me personally, but it never indulges overly in it (so far at least), so I'm definitely going to be watching the rest soon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
man I lost track of this podcast right before the Crick story and now I just finished that arc and it reminded me how fantastic this podcast is. I subbed to the patreon and now am gonna finish getting caught up.

There are other real good pocasts like Neoscum and Dragon Friends for capturing a less 'scripted' feeling RPG and all but I don't think any other podcast has had as many moments where people who play these games a lot can practically feel the GM rapidly reshuffling his plans in his mind because a player did something bonkers and somehow didn't die for it as this one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so, if you were on the fence about supporting the Patreon, I think you should.

I didn't really want to listen to 20+ short rests, especially because I knew what would happen buuuuuuut...

It's fun to see their theories about what's to come when you already know. Sometimes they are SO CLOSE except one critical point.

Also has on of my favorite Bev lines, "I don't want to be evil! I JUST WANT TO HAVE WINGS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Caldwell/Beverly has a youtube channel called Drawfee that is also pretty fun, if you're looking for more content (arr).