Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Their commodity hardware is fine for the most part, I guess. The spectres are nice, but it's hard to shake the deep, deep sadness that HP laptops were from 2009 previous. They just have a habit of loving up contracts, bumbling into telephone poles and just being generally chaotic and stupid to work with. And I'll never, ever forgive what they did to Palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Newegg has a Lenovo R5 2500U refurb laptop going for a mere $425 and never before have I been motivated to spend money I don't have on poo poo I'll be using only on rare trips and holidays.
soldered-on single channel RAM :stonk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Newegg has a Lenovo R5 2500U refurb laptop going for a mere $425 and never before have I been motivated to spend money I don't have on poo poo I'll be using only on rare trips and holidays.

Dude, SINGLE-CHANNEL SOLDERED RAM.

Also, I admit to being one of those people who's paranoid that each and every Lenovo-made product is pre-pwned and shipping back data to China wholesale.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

amazing

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Truga posted:

amazing

Apparently the 8700k is going for around 470 Euros (US$550) right now due to the shortage. At that price it's no wonder people are choosing to take a slight performance hit and go with AMD.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 27, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

Apparently the 8700k is going for around 470 Euros (US$550) right now due to the shortage. At that price it's no wonder people are choosing to take a slight performance hit and go with AMD.

Still $380 USD in :canada: from every retailer

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wow! I guess I should be glad I got a 8700k for 320 bux. Shortages? Im happy doing AMD builds for awhile.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

redeyes posted:

wow! I guess I should be glad I got a 8700k for 320 bux. Shortages? Im happy doing AMD builds for awhile.

Yeah, Intel has a shortage of 14nm chips right now because they overbooked their 14nm fab. By now they were expecting to have moved their CPUs over to 10nm so they planned to move a lot of their other products (LTE modems and chipsets primarily) to 14nm but since 10nm is still broken they're stuck trying to build both CPUs and all those other chips with the same 14nm capacity they previously dedicated to CPUs alone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, Intel has a shortage of 14nm chips right now because they overbooked their 14nm fab. By now they were expecting to have moved their CPUs over to 10nm so they planned to move a lot of their other products (LTE modems and chipsets primarily) to 14nm but since 10nm is still broken they're stuck trying to build both CPUs and all those other chips with the same 14nm capacity they previously dedicated to CPUs alone.

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech? Well print more of the older stuff. I'd think Intel would want to prioritize CPUs. Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?

AMD is really lucking out that Intel is falling on their face just as AMD has a viable product.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

pixaal posted:

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech? Well print more of the older stuff. I'd think Intel would want to prioritize CPUs. Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?

"Intel Tock-Ticks Chipsets Back to 22nm"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-14nm-shortage-h310c,37819.html

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

soldered-on single channel RAM :stonk:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude, SINGLE-CHANNEL SOLDERED RAM.

Also, I admit to being one of those people who's paranoid that each and every Lenovo-made product is pre-pwned and shipping back data to China wholesale.

And never before has my wallet closed that fast. Honestly better to get one of those i5-5300U refurbs then, like drat. Why is anyone doing single loving channel still TYOOL2018.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

AMD is really lucking out that Intel is falling on their face just as AMD has a viable product.

This is why 14nm chipsets took a while and the Z370 chipset wasn't replaced by Z390 faster. Instead, mainboard manufacturers are making refresh Z370 boards like this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-Z370-PLUS-GAMING-II/

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

What node are AMD chipsets on?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

Q6: It has been noted that AMD has been working with ASMedia on the chipset side of the platform, using a 55nm PCIe 3.0x4 based chipset. Currently your competition implements a large HSIO model that can support up to 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes, albeit with limited bandwidth, but enables extensive networking, PCIe storage, and other features. What does AMD need to do to reach semi-parity for I/O ?

LS: I think we will continue to want a rich ecosystem. On the chipset side we may not develop the chipsets ourselves but we certainly want to be in partnership with others to develop a wide set of IO. I think if you look at the set of motherboard partners that we have, and the extensive testing we’ve done with them, I would expect that as we gain some market share in the high-end, you will see that system build up.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11177/making-amd-tick-a-very-zen-interview-with-dr-lisa-su-ceo

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Basically AMD chipsets cost them nothing it seems, although I personally wouldn't mind seeing them move to 28nm at least for the 500/600 series.

Oh and just loving buy ASMedia already like goddamn.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech?
For stuff like cell modems they may have made agreements with the companies they're selling them to. AMD isn't the only one that's ever negotiated a fab deal and then had regrets.

pixaal posted:

Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?
Fab buildings are really expensive. So yes, most old production lines get taken apart and new machines are put in, effectively destroying the old fab.

Also there are aspects of the business that make an old process uneconomical. Silicon wafers are expensive, fewer chips per wafer means your costs are higher than your competition. For something like a chipset that may not be a problem if you can just pass the cost to your customers (but that does make the intel platform as a whole less competitive). But for anything that's more replaceable, like a modem or flash or any standard device, you have to hurt your own bottom line to compete.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you probably don't want to tell Apple "hey those LTE modems we finally won the exclusive contract for, we can't make them in 14nm after all". Not even if you're Intel.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Huh? I know for a fact that samsung -added- 65nm back in 16-17, in the same buildings and lines that house their other nodes from 45 to 14 precisely because older nodes are so profitable

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Basically AMD chipsets cost them nothing it seems, although I personally wouldn't mind seeing them move to 28nm at least for the 500/600 series.

Zen is a SoC--the chipset basically provides expansion ports.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Malcolm XML posted:

Zen is a SoC--the chipset basically provides expansion ports.

Hasn't this been the status quo since K8 on AMD?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Comedy option: AMD moves their chipsets to 14 nm to fulfill the WSA with GlobalFoundaries, meaning AMD is ahead of Intel on both CPUs and chipsets. :v:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 27, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

amazing

Intel customers are waiting for the faster product that's going to launch in less than two weeks? Shocking stuff.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel customers are waiting for the faster product that's going to launch in less than two weeks? Shocking stuff.

AMD sales are up in absolute terms as well as relative terms. Intel sales are down in both. Here's a quote from the original r/AMD thread that image came from:

quote:

[–]ingebor[S] 68 points 7 hours ago

It's a mixture of both. AMD is taking some of the sales (they sold more than last month but did not capture all of Intel's losses), the other are probably holding out for the 9900K or waiting for prices to normalize again.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Plotting revenue instead of share would probably have been more informative then

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If the chipset does what it's supposed to, who cares what process it's fabbed on? I care way, way, way, way more about the quality of the VRMs when shopping for a board anyway. I've never had a mobo fail on its own that wasn't a result of bad caps or overheating VRMs (except Apple and their poo poo tastic SMC chips)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Power and cost really, and maybe with PCIE4.0 they can further expand the chipsets USB/SATA/PCIE capabilities. No reason not to go to 28nm to save die space, cost and heat at that point?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Power and cost really, and maybe with PCIE4.0 they can further expand the chipsets USB/SATA/PCIE capabilities. No reason not to go to 28nm to save die space, cost and heat at that point?

PCIe, USB, and SATA controller stuff isn't really super heat-producing even on a bigger process. Mobo makers put shiny heatsinks on them but that's for show -- on laptops they just heatsink into whatever metal panel they can have a thermal pad glom on to.

The biggest impact is battery life on laptops where shaving a quarter watt is actually productive, which is why intel tries to keep theirs new-ish.

Integrating a decent ethernet controller onto the chipset chip would be cool though. Ditch the ubiquitous realtek poo poo, or occasional intel chip on highend boards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD integrated 10gbe in their embedded Ryzen. Still needs a PHY but still. I could def see that being a thing in the APUs/laptop parts soon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
LTT tries to simulate the 28-core 5 GHz Xeon from Computex, and pits it against a TR2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXtTYAPzXU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Prices on parts that are about to be superceded don't usually go up 50%.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They do when bottlenecked horrifically

This has happened a couple times in Intel's history

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Potato Salad posted:

They do when bottlenecked horrifically

This has happened a couple times in Intel's history

Yeah, I mean in a normal launch where there aren't huge supply issues, which is what I interpreted those graphs to mean.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT has finished their APU overclocking series with a focus on the GPU portion. Some games see disappointing results, some are much more noticeable. Pretty interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13041/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g-integrated-graphics-frequency-scaling

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

Prices on parts that are about to be superceded don't usually go up 50%.

One would imagine that two weeks before a launch, most of the production is on the new chips, not the one that is going to be replaced. If they've managed to burn though their stockpiles and the channel is empty, the channel is empty. /shrug

(of course whatever 9-series chips they've stockpiled won't be enough, it never is)

Intel says they're actually prioritizing the high-performance market, fwiw.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Paul MaudDib posted:

One would imagine that two weeks before a launch, most of the production is on the new chips, not the one that is going to be replaced. If the channel is empty, the channel is empty.

(of course whatever they've stockpiled won't be enough, it never is)

You also need to factor in that vendors will want to keep these things in stock for warranty replacements. It's not acceptable to say "I'm going to replace your 2.4Ghz 12 core with a 2.5Ghz 16 core" You just made me need more Windows licenses! Great yes it's a better product but I now owe other companies more money. It's even less acceptable to replace a 2.4Ghz 12 core with a 2.1Ghz 12 core.

(I have no idea if any of these are valid CPU configurations).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

the channel is empty

That thing right there is really weird and strongly indicates A Problem.

New generations of electronics come out basically constantly and you pretty much always see the older generation's price drop in the run-up to release, so I'm not sure why this price spike being weird is such a sticking point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

New generations of electronics come out basically constantly and you pretty much always see the older generation's price drop in the run-up to release, so I'm not sure why this price spike being weird is such a sticking point.

Yeah, Intel's got more demand than capacity at the moment. Just crossing my fingers that I can get a 9900K in a reasonable amount of time, my main rig is down and my backup has some "quirks". :sigh:

Intel doesn't do the clearance-sale thing though. Sometimes the older SKUs exist in parallel with the newer SKUs for a bit but the prices don't really change.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 28, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

The 8700k was $299.99 for months and months, dipping as low as $278, and it's $329.99 at microcenter right now. I watched it like a hawk because I really wanted one but then opted to just wait.

EU always has super high prices though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I bought a 2400G and the graphics shut down a few times. The computer kept running but the screen was black until restart. It happened three times in the last week, I think each time during playing WoW. Any thoughts what that could be? I have a new system with a good psu, 16 gb 3000 memory, 2 assigned to the gpu, and a b450 msi mb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021